Janthir Winds Expansion

Posted (edited)

Expansion announcement, doesn't seem feature heavy, Warclaw being repackaged for pve, and tuned up for wvw.

https://buy.guildwars2.com/en-us/janthir-wilds?tab=0

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/announcing-guild-wars-2-janthir-wilds/

* Player Housing.

* On land Spears for all professions.

* New raid, private instance and open world versions.

* New legendary spear and backpack.

* PvE Wild Warclaw - Warclaw repackaged for Pve release, with a skills tuneup for Wvw.

* Developing new PvP game mode. (Would be hilarious if this is for 10-25 GvG).

Edited by XenesisII.1540
  • Confused 1

a refreshed experience that builds on what we've learned about mounts since first implementing the warclaw.

Expect nothing then.

In regards to the spear I for one expect an engineer spear that does random kitten, a thief spear that give them at least 2 smoke fields and a guardian spear where all its skills are teleports.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 3

I won't get a new off-hand until GW3. Spears are alright I guess.

I entirely ignore my old home instance because there's not much to it since it doesn't matter to anyone else and it's a non-factor to the game world. 

I'm curious who they're looking at for a new pvp mode that further and more inspired development for the current game modes wouldn't attract. 

Whatever they give Warclaw, it's still a wingless Griffon. It's one of the least fun mounts to ride around on. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Well, the spear will be an extra two-handed weapon for each profession, so there will be some skill balance shake up. Depending on what current two-handed weapons you have available, existing two-handed weapons could face competition or not. Adding more cogs to the clockwork of balancing has never turned out (way) better than before.

I have no idea where they want to take the Warclaw in WvW, without adding some interesting new mechanics (e.g. warclaws being able to drag placed siege at a slow rate, like in those "bull trails" in IBS). Conceptually a two-player-required mobile siege with the Turtle would have made more sense, but with EoD over for several years, that ship has sailed.

New PvP concept? They already gave us Stronghold and abandoned that. (I have more thoughts on player housing, but will drop those in the main forum)

At least pvp getting another game mode, which I would guess is a larger than usual mode to cater to gvg, I would be surprised if it's a BR knockoff to cash in on that genre, I doubt it,  but plunder storm seemed fun for WoW, not much point going for another 5v5 mode since everything revolves around conquest and they abandoned stronghold early on.

39 minutes ago, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

I am interested to see if the spear has any powercreep in wvw. If it is not worth it I think as a WvW main I could probably be alright to skip the expac.

Pretty obvious they will, since they will need something to sell the expansion to pvp/wvw, same goes for new relics.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Dawdler.8521 said:

a refreshed experience that builds on what we've learned about mounts since first implementing the warclaw.

Expect nothing then.

In regards to the spear I for one expect an engineer spear that does random kitten, a thief spear that give them at least 2 smoke fields and a guardian spear where all its skills are teleports.

I want to laugh, but I fear the accuracy of this post.

• Confused 2

11 minutes ago, ChrisWhitey.9076 said:

That is fair but I don't think that the plan is to make spear so strong all old content is so easy it becomes dead content.

It's already been done through all the other power creep anyways. 🤷‍♂️

• Confused 1

Posted (edited)

I'm actually impressed they are unearthing raids. Despite not being a raider, I think that's actually a good sign because at a very least it's more ambitious than the nonsense that was this expansion and they actually mentioned stuff. Will they be on time though? Probably not.

Other features seem to suggest a effort to compete in the modern day world, instead of 2015.

Seems like they want to raise the standard for gameplay. Unfortunately, I don't know what their idea of skill is. Well, actually I do.

At the very least we can listen to entitled pvers cry about not being able to get something so they can be compelled to farm another GoB for no apparent reason.

Edited by ArchonWing.9480
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Warclaw.

Surely, it can't get worse.  Right?  There's no way they turn them into mobile siege that is only effective on a zerg scale...right?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

I entirely ignore my old home instance because there's not much to it since it doesn't matter to anyone else and it's a non-factor to the game world. 

I'm curious who they're looking at for a new pvp mode that further and more inspired development for the current game modes wouldn't attract. 

Whatever they give Warclaw, it's still a wingless Griffon. It's one of the least fun mounts to ride around on. 

I hope gw3 never comes out. 

• Sad 1

If the stuff regarding the Warclaw is interesting it will definitely make players buy the expansion. Can't see why they would make WvW effects "free" (=for everyone even without the expansion) when people will still play a lot of WvW (even without it) ... and the elite specs are also tied to the expansoin: 😄

I am still waiting for a para-trooper like thing though lol. Maybe in a future expansion. (Airship skill where you can drop down mounted on the Warclaw with a parachute dropping into objectives.) Would make it fun. 😄For the PvP map it will be a must though - to have it available for everyone. (But that will be looooo in the future when they announced to put that in testing first. Populatoin to low to make it tied to an expansion + we have the spear weapon that will definitely be expansion exclusive like all other weapon-related content.)

9 hours ago, Sviel.7493 said:

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the Warclaw.

Surely, it can't get worse.  Right?  There's no way they turn them into mobile siege that is only effective on a zerg scale...right?

Why would you ever hand the universe a one liner and say, I dare you to cross this line!

I though I knew you better. 😞 

🙂 

17 hours ago, TheGrimm.5624 said:

So one new weapon in regards to WvW content.

17 hours ago, kash.9213 said:

Combat features[edit]

• Expanded Weapon Proficiency — new weapon for each profession[5]
    • Expanded Land Spear Weapon Proficiency for all professions
      • Beta event to try out the new spear gameplay from June 27-30

Guild Wars 2: Janthir Wilds - Guild Wars 2 Wiki (GW2W)

New weapons for each profession kido's.. Not just the spear.

1 hour ago, Lionwait.4815 said:

Combat features[edit]

That’s literally just talking about the spear. There is not a single word about any other weapons.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lionwait.4815 said:

Combat features[edit]

Wielding Spears on Land

Previously only available for underwater combat, spears will now have all-new skills for each profession on land. Spears can be used interchangeably in the aquatic and terrestrial weapon slots, but you will need to equip multiple spears to use them in both slots. The unlocked spear skins in your wardrobe will work with both versions, and if you’ve made Kamohoali’i Kotaki, the legendary spear, you can equip it through the legendary armory in either slot!

Not certain where citation 5 is pulling it's info from. What I am concerned with is they might imply that the WR is live come the expansion and that is the WvW changes included in the expansion. Either way weapons or new Elites aren't really WvW content. 

• Like 1