Please give us playable kodan [Merged]

Some things that have been asked for for years have come true, so I can't blame you for trying. However, I feel that the chances of a new race happening are far less than anything they've surprised us with. 

For one, they would have to make ALL armor skins and outfits fit a Kodan character. That alone is a nightmare that's worse than anything else I would imagine.

I would not make a Kodan character even if possible.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It might be a niche, but always thought that it shouldn't be ^^. Anyways we will  see what the future brings.

Im aware of the amount of work involved. Myself i use the kodan tonics all the time. So maybe a few tengu combat tonics would be nice. Maybe for both a assortment of new looks (tonics) with a few culture appropriate armors to give it a unique look.

• Confused 3

On 6/4/2024 at 9:31 PM, Thornwolf.9721 said:

The trailer showed them off, now I feel its only fair to ask for them. Because they look super good. Please.

At this point I would be happy to get any new playable race, but since they have overslept on Tengu already, and because Dwarves didn't happen either, it's looking like that ship has sadly already sailed. Oh well, maybe new and better races in GW3. 🫠

Edited by Frozey.8513

u know anet, if u literally just do a new playable race. its sold. jus give players what they want. no need to come out with some new weird kitten that prob wont work. really missed the chance with EOD n tengu

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 6/4/2024 at 8:31 PM, Thornwolf.9721 said:

The trailer showed them off, now I feel its only fair to ask for them. Because they look super good. Please.

They can barely handle the load of their current content scope. Let's be realistic: forget about new playable races. 😞 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, quake.9023 said:

u know anet, if u literally just do a new playable race. its sold. jus give players what they want. no need to come out with some new weird kitten that prob wont work. really missed the chance with EOD n tengu

Why would they make a new race for 5 people?

• Confused 3

There's several ways they could implement a new race depending on how much money they wanna spend.

The cheapest option would be:

- Make cultural armor specific to the new race, any other skin shows hidden automatically, this is arguably the biggest hindrance according to the players, no doubt people here already mentioned that if I cared to look at their tired old arguments. If only cultural armor shows that flies over that point, not that Anet doesn't already re-rig human armor to Charr and Asura and yes that's why it looks like ****.

- Make them level 80 instantly, intro cinematic shows the story from Vanilla, S1, S2, Hot, S3, PoF, S4, IBS, EoD, SotO, JW. This way moving forward any NPC will refer to them like any other character and it will make sense. You can also have them start from 1, the Koda in Wayfare Foothils, or Tengu in Caledon Forest for example, commander dialog isn't so extensive that they couldn't record everything for a new race, but since this is another contesting point, have them mute with dialog buddles only till their intro expansion, the commander had no voice acting during season 1 and we all lived.

- Make the skeleton rig match an existing race, Koda could use Norn animations, Tengu could use Charr animations, that would take care of the thick of them with only a few custom needed, another oh so impossible thing to do because God forbid anyone expecting some work to be done.

There's a lot of ways to skin this cat, and looking at the current blue print for expansions sooner or later they're gonna need a good hook to convince people to get another yearly one.

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

• 4 weeks later...

Well... since the Tengu did not make it at the EoD hype, I would be damned if they did it here on a smaller expansion with brown Kodan bears.

ANet has been pretty clear that they are not making any new playable races in GW2, sadly. I wish they would be more like WoW by creating new races every now and then.

So the answer is no, instead of getting your hopes up just to be crushed... been there done that... 😥

The Lowland Kodans will be our NPCs allies only, I am sure.

Edited by TwistedAlga.4235
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Edit: Two threads got merged together. One on speculation of Kodan being playable and this one for requesting them to be playable.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:17 AM, arazoth.7290 said:

I wonder how they wrote it, if it could be a new playable race

I don't see any hints at playablility in the models. Things like wearing player armor or looking modular enough for character customization.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:25 AM, Parasite.5389 said:

... *Sigh* it's Tengu all over again

That jailer tengu in the player armor skin really fooled me, not going to lie

Edited by Quench.7091
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Noidea Incognito.9607 said:

Like some already pointed out: its most likely a Brown Kodan Tonic reward/vendor item.

Adding a completely new race now is gonna give headaches/worries on various levels.

pfff, I was already considering in changing my rev from charr to kodan if certain outfits would look neat 😅

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

23 hours ago, Vavume.8065 said:

The awakened would have been the easiest new playable race to add yet they didn't. I guess WoW spoiled me with new playable races over the years, and it's just another reason why WoW is top dog.

The awakened could probably be added via infusion, if we are talking about the awakened who only have their skin and eyes changed. The coolest awakened would need new art assets to be added in order to be modular in character customization.

The easiest race to make in my opinion is probably the dwarf. Why? They actually come with the ability to wear player armor and utilize character customization options of the norn! Their flaws right now might be some fixable animation issues and mount scaling. Things like /crossarms clipping their hands and them riding around on pocket raptors. They can be seen at Droknar's Light Waypoint and look pretty decent.

Edited by Quench.7091

1 hour ago, Quench.7091 said:

The awakened could probably be added via infusion, if we are talking about the awakened who only have their skin and eyes changed. The coolest awakened would need new art assets to be added in order to be modular in character customization.

The easiest race to make in my opinion is probably the dwarf. Why? They actually come with the ability to wear player armor and utilize character customization options of the norn! Their flaws right now might be some fixable animation issues and mount scaling. Things like /crossarms clipping their hands and them riding around on pocket raptors. They can be seen at Droknar's Light Waypoint and look pretty decent.

Aint all the dwarfs still stone?

• Confused 1

On 7/11/2024 at 3:11 PM, quake.9023 said:

eod was perfecttttttt to start new playable race.....sighhhhh......what a missed opportunity. so sad. this time it doesnt look likely at all.

I really wonder about people wanting to have other races added. Not because you want it but because you guys really don't seem to grasp how unlikely it is that Anet will ever do that in GW2. Not that many people want it or have it high on their priority list and the impact of it resource wise would be way larger than it's worth. 

Even if, for the sake of the argument, you could unlock it via the gemstore and create it as a level 80 character without a personal story, there's still the amount of work they need to do for the character creator and then make ALL skins, including outfits, work with those character models. 

It might be a cliché by now, but I really rather Anet spends such resources elsewhere.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

you guys really don't seem to grasp how unlikely it is that Anet will ever do that in GW2.

That is what many people said about mounts and player housing, yet look where we are now.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 3