Spears and Mesmers

7 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I think the thief chains are the reimagining of a GW1 mechanic.

Yeah, they are revisiting assassin's combo chain: lead attack/off hand attack/dual attack. It's both a good thing and a bad thing. A good thing because it will make using more than 2 weapon skills more attractive for thief. A bad thing because it's bound to take a heavy toll on initiative which will increase even more thief's reliance on Trickery (It feel like specter won't have a fun time with spear).

I absolutely love it. Well played Anet.

In the video above we can see several skills.

They are as follows:

- a shadowstep gap closer

- what looks like first 2 strikes of the auto attack chain

- the clone generator skill

- the full auto attack chain

- a backward leap skill (this could just be a regular dodge tho, hard to tell)

- a forward dash skill which summons a phantasm

Edited by Waffles.5632
  • Thanks 1

Oh, good, it is a new melee option. Looks like an interesting playstyle, too, although I am worried about possible forced movement on the phantasm summon for instanced content.

I'm also concerned about the mechanic being based around getting the enemy just on the edge of a point-blank AoE. Feels like the sort of thing that sounds good on paper, but where it might be a PITA against anything with more mobility than a target golem. Depends on how large the area is and how precise you need to be to get an enemy in the outer band.

• Like 4

Just now, draxynnic.3719 said:

I'm also concerned about the mechanic being based around getting the enemy just on the edge of a point-blank AoE. Feels like the sort of thing that sounds good on paper, but where it might be a PITA against anything with more mobility than a target golem. Depends on how large the area is and how precise you need to be to get an enemy in the outer band.

Exactly.
It reminded me of the dagger 2 when was released with the point blank looking at ground gameplay. Good on theory, useless on game.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Well tomorrow is the stream right, where they will showcase each new spear? Hopefully will get a clearer picture of how our spear works. I noticed that the Mesmer part in the spear trailer was def shorter than Ele and Revs, so it's hard to get a glimpse how it exactly works.

I hope we Mesmers will be happy after the stream tomorrow 🤞

Edited by AshkyLicious.4729

30 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Oh, good, it is a new melee option. Looks like an interesting playstyle, too, although I am worried about possible forced movement on the phantasm summon for instanced content.

I think the weapon is designed for mirages with instant repositioning on jaunt yo be honest. I also saw the illusionary advance animation in there so things are getting interesting. I am also dying yi see the ambush. So many things to look forward to 

Like chrono phantasma? How would the spear phantasms interact with the dash?!🤔

Edited by Gesbo.6420
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

I think the weapon is designed for mirages with instant repositioning on jaunt yo be honest. I also saw the illusionary advance animation in there so things are getting interesting. I am also dying yi see the ambush. So many things to look forward to 

Like chrono phantasma? How would the spear phantasms interact with the dash?!🤔

I hope we do get some polish but, in previous playtesting events I recall Mesmer (and some other profs) having completely busted traits that reduced the ability to actually test the gameplay.

Does anyone think this is pure Power?  I get the feeling it's going to be Condi/hybrid cause, well, they didn't state what it is.

14 minutes ago, Mungo Zen.9364 said:

I hope we do get some polish but, in previous playtesting events I recall Mesmer (and some other profs) having completely busted traits that reduced the ability to actually test the gameplay.

Does anyone think this is pure Power?  I get the feeling it's going to be Condi/hybrid cause, well, they didn't state what it is.

I hope its hybrid, tho they've mentioned for most weapons what their attribute is but missed it with mesmer...

With one of the skills having the same animation as illusionary advance you can play mind games all leblanc style I feel like the spear would be a wonderful sticking tool. All we need for next expansion is an offhand with dashes and mirage will be unescapable 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I'm also concerned about the mechanic being based around getting the enemy just on the edge of a point-blank AoE. Feels like the sort of thing that sounds good on paper, but where it might be a PITA against anything with more mobility than a target golem

Glad someone else shares my concerns. Hopefully we'll get some meaningful data from beta and it gets actually taken into account for release.

yes I'm aware of what forum I'm posting in

• Like 1

Mirage can't do power well, if Spear is meant for it and yet it's a power weapon then it's certainly a mismatch.

And I feel that Spear is a pure power weapon. The upcoming changes to power Virt along with the beta testing couldn't be more coincidental. 

Weapon looks really sick from the video. Lots of mobility, god bless! Hoping that the Clarity mechanic’s conditional range isn’t too restrictive, otherwise it will probably be clunky/annoying to play around, especially if it isn’t about-faceable (sounds like it will be). Regardless though, it just looks really smooth and I’m happy it’s a melee power weapon. The animations are fantastic without being too over the top. Out of all the weapons showcased, this is for sure my fav. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

You know, I was thinking about that, and something occured to me. Positioning 1 enemy at the edge of that range might be a bit difficult. But it's an AoE. Maybe they intended this to work in an outnumbered situation where it's much more guaranteed that it will trigger?

• Confused 1

I want to believe that they did it like Necro's Greatsword 4, and the AoE expands and changes size over time so it's more likely to hit the enemy at its edge. Otherwise the part about having to precisely hit the enemy at the edge of the AoE in a highly mobile game makes no sense.

• Like 1