Spears and Mesmers

After the mega disappointment of rifle, this looks pretty good.

Unclear whether it is hybrid or not, whether any cc, detarget or other useful effects.

I imagine staff+spear mirage will be quite fun blinking around everywhere.

Not sure if full melee spear/sword or spear/axe will be sufficient unlike eg other classes.

Unsure if power mirage would go GS/spear depending on mobility compared with sword ambush.

Anyway it looks like it may be worth dropping the money for this weapon only if it finally allows for some new mirage playstyles (as mentioned previously I don't care for homesteading or much of the other expansion features).

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

Like chrono phantasma? How would the spear phantasms interact with the dash?!🤔

Probably about the same as the others - the skill that the mesmer does along with summoning the phantasms only happens once, but the phantasms spawn twice. So either they'd dash again from their new position, or they'd reform where they originally started from and dash again from there. Might be worth watching Phantasmal Berserker closely for what it does, since that's another phantasm that attacks in a line.

10 hours ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

Mirage can't do power well, if Spear is meant for it and yet it's a power weapon then it's certainly a mismatch.

Hasn't done power well in the past, but that doesn't mean it's impossible for it to ever do power well.

9 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

You know, I was thinking about that, and something occured to me. Positioning 1 enemy at the edge of that range might be a bit difficult. But it's an AoE. Maybe they intended this to work in an outnumbered situation where it's much more guaranteed that it will trigger?

I considered that, but if the band is narrow and it's outside of your normal melee range, it's still likely to be awkward. Most enemies, players or AI alike, are likely to either want to be in melee range with you, or they'll want to 600+ units away. And the greater the range of the effect, the harder it will be to eyeball exactly where you want to place it - and if it falls short, you won't hit them at all.

14 hours ago, StraightPath.3972 said:

Unless there was some editing done, the "dodge roll" is not a regular dodge roll.
The distance built is far too great, so looks like finally a spear with both engage and disengage in it's kit.

I hope it is just a dodge. Kit already has 2 movement skills, it doesn't need a third useless one, it needs attacks.

I will simply say that I liked what I saw in the trailer because it looks exactly what I wanted: I see a melee 2h weapon, with nice animations, mobility, and I would say it can provide some melee AoE effects too. I don't really care if it is condi or power if it is fun to play.

I like the summoning of 2 phantasms with 1 skill if you have the Clarity thing, it could have some interesting applications.

Edited by Val.7826
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

I considered that, but if the band is narrow and it's outside of your normal melee range, it's still likely to be awkward. Most enemies, players or AI alike, are likely to either want to be in melee range with you, or they'll want to 600+ units away. And the greater the range of the effect, the harder it will be to eyeball exactly where you want to place it - and if it falls short, you won't hit them at all.

I really don't think this is something we need to worry about. Maybe I'm being naive but my gut tells me that this is an overcomplicated mechanic that will likely be scrapped after the beta and every strike with this ability will grant clarity. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think their track record when it comes to mechanics speaks for itself. Hope I'm right though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShadowKatt.6740 said:

I really don't think this is something we need to worry about. Maybe I'm being naive but my gut tells me that this is an overcomplicated mechanic that will likely be scrapped after the beta and every strike with this ability will grant clarity. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think their track record when it comes to mechanics speaks for itself. Hope I'm right though.

The tradeoff of hard to achieve mechanic is supposed to be an extremely powerful effect. There is potential I hope they lean towards this type of weapon effects for all weapons 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

The tradeoff of hard to achieve mechanic is supposed to be an extremely powerful effect. There is potential I hope they lean towards this type of weapon effects for all weapons 

Okay but....come on. You know it's not going to be an extremely powerful anything. On paper, sure you're right but this is reality.

• Like 1

Right. They're not going to let Mesmers do more dps just because their build is harder to play. They're going to balance based on perfect gameplay against a golem like they always do. So you will need to get a feel for the range of this attack so you can execute it perfectly. I expect this is not going to actually be hard in PvE.

2 hours ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

Pretty sure ANerf balanced it by thinking you'll always have clarity.
That's what they did with ambushes too, ambushes without IH are mediocre.

On 6/13/2024 at 1:02 PM, Curunen.8729 said:

At least it doesn't seem like we're getting the precise aiming at distance one - thank god that seems to be warrior instead.

But we could still get engi shortbow RTS ground targeting bullkitten. xD

Surprise!

On 6/13/2024 at 1:49 PM, Levetty.1279 said:

We are never going to get a 2H melee brawler weapon.

Surprise!

22 hours ago, ZephidelGRS.9520 said:

Mirage can't do power well, if Spear is meant for it and yet it's a power weapon then it's certainly a mismatch.

And I feel that Spear is a pure power weapon. The upcoming changes to power Virt along with the beta testing couldn't be more coincidental. 

I'm pretty sure that was just Core that we saw in the video; there weren't any of the other specs' visual tells. They're probably saving the Mirage reveal for the livestream.

7 hours ago, Val.7826 said:

I like the summoning of 2 phantasms with 1 skill if you have the Clarity thing, it could have some interesting applications.

It almost feels like they took last year's numerous suggestions about a "phantasmal firing squad" on the rifle and merged it into this instead. This is the one I really really really want to see onscreen. 😍

I wish the healing wasn't so conditional. Mesmer needs all the help it can get if it is going to be a brawler.

Looks like the attacks don't count as blades which sucks for Virtuoso but that Mirage trait looks nice.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Levetty.1279 said:

I wish the healing wasn't so conditional. Mesmer needs all the help it can get if it is going to be a brawler.

Looks like the attacks don't count as blades which sucks for Virtuoso but that Mirage trait looks nice.

We cant be sure just yet tho I doubth they will be as all blade skills are usually range. Tho the Blade description is usually added if you spec to Virt (mirror blade for example) and they never went into is so there is still hope. 27th here we come.

I am indeed pleasantly surprised.

lol at the blurred frenzy 2.0 after sword 2 got nerfed so much. Spear 3 looks amazing, and no root!

5 resetting 2 is great. Stun with clarity is awesome.

Phantasm is cool, the immobilise if already having cripple seems a bit convoluted but will have to see in practice.

2 looks good.

And omg the ambush is almost exactly what I was hoping for, 240 range helps though would have been nice for a bit more for glass shotgun.

My only real criticism is visual - I don't particularly like floating indicators and the eye for Clarity above the head is a bit... inelegant? Would prefer something like a soft pink glow around the head, something more on the character. But I can live with it.

So GS/Spear mirage looks like it's going to be a lot of fun! Maybe even spear/staff using the latter as an alacrity and kiting stick. Or spear+sword/torch for ultimate mobility.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

Tho the Blade description is usually added if you spec to Virt (mirror blade for example)

Oh yeah. I double checked to be sure before I wrote that but I only checked dagger which has the tooltip either way. GS only gets it when you spec Virt.

• Like 1

I think 2/clarity will be a big problem, you have 2 gap closers, 1 skill that is melee range and an auto attack that is melee range and then just this skill 2 which requires you to move back a bit and hope the target doesn't follow you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

The tradeoff of hard to achieve mechanic is supposed to be an extremely powerful effect.

Yeah but then you go back to 'week 1' and guardian can get all its empowered skills by standing in a symbol.

It's a 'support' weapon I know but if there's one support weapon that doesn't get nerfed (damage wise like mes rifle and warrior staff) post beta, it's gonna be the guardian weapon.

4 hours ago, Gesbo.6420 said:

We cant be sure just yet tho I doubth they will be as all blade skills are usually range. Tho the Blade description is usually added if you spec to Virt (mirror blade for example) and they never went into is so there is still hope. 27th here we come.

there is some hope, after all, axe was updated to interact with the blade mechanic. skills 2 grants a blade if you hit an enemy, and skill 3 benefits from stocked blades despite being a melee condition weapon. even sword 3 stocks a blade if you hit your target, though all sword skills do not have the blade tooltip, let alone interact with the blade mechanic. we'll see on the 27th!

Edited by mirage.8046
  • Confused 2

42 minutes ago, Levetty.1279 said:

I think 2/clarity will be a big problem, you have 2 gap closers, 1 skill that is melee range and an auto attack that is melee range and then just this skill 2 which requires you to move back a bit and hope the target doesn't follow you.

Yeah, unfortunately I'll have to agree. I think in PvE it's fine, but in PvP it's not gonna feel great to have your main weapon mechanic be a dice role whether the opponent takes a wrong step.

3 hours ago, Levetty.1279 said:

I think you overestimate how quickly enemies follow you vs how quick the skill it self is, in most things pve you will land the outer ring 2 and in pvp i reckon its gonna be relatively easy too. It just needs to be appropriately rewarding.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

seeing MTG in stream alleviates some of my fears. with the inner/outer circle explanation. Doesn't mean i have to clip an enemy with the outermost (250-300 range) of the skill. 300 range means outer ring is what, 150 of that range? its not terrible. Still kind of a pain compared to like.. guardian..