Staff Spear Skins as Spears [Merged]

5 hours ago, MunkeeBreath.9165 said:

Just curious if anyone else thought of this (Yall probably have hehe) if the current staff skins that are spears ie: Sunspear and Darkspear (to 2 of them) will become spear skins.... I so hope they do!

Glad to see I'm not the only one thinking this would be an obvious (and desired) choice. There are multiple classic trident and spear skins dat double as staff skins (from the early days), so making these two (Sun and Dark) actual spear skins as well would be a very nice addition 🙂 

• Like 5

Yea we aint getting staff skins turned to spears or spears for old black lion sets that dont have them as per the blogpost today.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

Q: Which spear skins can I use on land?

A: All current spear skins will be able to be used on land. We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections.

Posted (edited)

There are a few staff skins in game that appear to be designed as spears, and I think many players already do use them as such in their fashion.

Two of the more obvious examples are the Sunspear and Darkspear skins, which are not only defined as spears in their name, but even wielded by Paragon NPCs in Istan as such. Would these skins just remain staff-only skins or will we get spear versions of them?

EDIT: This was a separate post that was merged with OP's, sorry if it appears I'm just restating what OP said.

Edited by Teletric.3821
merged clarification
  • Like 4
  • Confused 2

I'm hoping Arenanet has considered some option for those.

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of system of "Polearm" skins - it could be as simple as taking the existing Staff skins and setting them up so that unlocking them also unlocks the corresponding Spear skin in your wardrobe, just like how multi-weight armor pieces work now. You could even go further and implement a similar system for Trident skins, since there's a lot of overlap there design-wise.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

A collection that lets us gain some of the PvE spear skins missing from their respective PvE weapon collections, such as the Auric weapons for example, or later on a Black Lion bundle with the missing black lion weapon spear skins would be very sought after things in gw2!

I firmly believe a very large portion of the player population, will, on some conscious or subconscious level be....affected negatively by playing without being able to get their character to look just right due to the dearth of spear skins we currently have available. It would be prudent to anticipate and preempt this issue for the expansion so as to maximize its reception.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, Altriba.8092 said:

A collection that lets us gain some of the PvE spear skins missing from their respective PvE weapon collections, such as the Auric weapons for example, or later on a Black Lion bundle with the missing black lion weapon spear skins would be very sought after things in gw2!

I firmly believe a very large portion of the player population, will, on some conscious or subconscious level be....affected negatively by playing without being able to get their character to look just right due to the dearth of spear skins we currently have available. It would be prudent to anticipate and preempt this issue for the expansion so as to maximize its reception.

Rather difficult conversation. I'd rather Arenanet not spend resources adding "older skins". Of course, there needs to be extensive library of wardrobe for spears, but this can come as going forward, instead of going back in time.

4 hours ago, Teletric.3821 said:

There are a few staff skins in game that appear to be designed as spears, and I think many players already do use them as such in their fashion.

Two of the more obvious examples are the Sunspear and Darkspear skins, which are not only defined as spears in their name, but even wielded by Paragon NPCs in Istan as such. Would these skins just remain staff-only skins or will we get spear versions of them?

Some of the iconic spears like Sunspear need to be added to the spear wardrobe. Who's to say that spears and staff can't have the exact same skin?

Edited by phandaria.4891
  • Confused 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, phandaria.4891 said:

Rather difficult conversation. I'd rather Arenanet not spend resources adding "older skins". Of course, there needs to be extensive library of wardrobe for spears, but this can come as going forward, instead of going back in time.

I would look at it as no different than the effort invested into reconstructing and releasing old story/game content such as Living World season 1, ultimately these 'older skins' would improve the experience of both of veteran and new players, by sparing them for the feeling of....disappointment that occurs when one can not 'complete their look' with the new spear system, more-over it incentivizes the investment into black lion tickets, old expansions and gems in general if the collections for PvE weapons are designed to send players to those older areas, and the Black Lion weapons are likely to be a simpler to produce but welcomed addition to the shop seeing as the body of the spear is already there in all the staff and hammer skins, and the head of the spear can be modeled after the respective weapon collection swords/daggers or even axes, ultimately it would be a very lucrative resource investment for what little effort would be required to be invested.

Personally, I for example, would welcome even 'sub-par' spear skin quality (such as: textures that seem a teeny bit stretched out when looked at really closely) so long as it matched its respective weapon sets, over a complete absence of those skins.

Edited by Altriba.8092
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

20 hours ago, Linken.6345 said:

Yea we aint getting staff skins turned to spears or spears for old black lion sets that dont have them as per the blogpost today.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/straight-to-the-point-a-primer-on-spears-in-janthir-wilds/

A: All current spear skins will be able to be used on land. We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections.

I don't think that necessarily means we aren't going to get the staff skins that are literal spears (Sunspear and Darkspear for instance), as I think it would really easy to reuse the skin asset and slap it onto a spear via the wardrobe. I think that answer is more so that they are assuring that we can use all the current spear skins that are available. I think it would be a missed opportunity to not incorporate some of their current staff designs to the spears.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

All the new folks in pvp and WvW will have a few fractions of a second when they think that their opponent is wielding a spear, but it is actually a staff. 
I don't imagine this will affect combat that much.

• Confused 1

There is two options:

The first is that these skins simply remain as Staff-only skins.

The second is that Arenanet copies them to use as Spear skins.

I won't be surprised, if they choose the first option.

• Confused 2

21 hours ago, MunkeeBreath.9165 said:

I don't think that necessarily means we aren't going to get the staff skins that are literal spears (Sunspear and Darkspear for instance), as I think it would really easy to reuse the skin asset and slap it onto a spear via the wardrobe. I think that answer is more so that they are assuring that we can use all the current spear skins that are available. I think it would be a missed opportunity to not incorporate some of their current staff designs to the spears.

Did you read the last part it literally say we wont get any old skins as spears.

They will only added ones to the new sets.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3

36 minutes ago, Linken.6345 said:

Did you read the last part it literally say we wont get any old skins as spears

It says you can use all the Spear skins currently available and future weapon collections will start including Spears again. That doesn't mean they won't go back and add some Staff skins as Spears. Doesn't say anything in that regard. I might agree with you if you said that it wasn't likely they would do that, but it doesn't literally say they won't.

Anet is pretty good at throwing the fans happy little curve balls. They just might.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582 said:

I doubt they will make staff skins available as spear skins.

It has been mentioned in other posts as well, but there are two staff skins that are actually spear skins: Darkspear and Sunspear (both LWS4 episode 1 skins). There is the hope that at least these two will be made into spear skins as well (but hey, what's in a name 😉 ). If you start considering the shape and design, there are a quite a few more staff skins that could be considered spears, but it might me a bit much to convert (or: open up) these to spear skins as well.

• Thanks 2

Based on this:

I'd guess that there aren't currently any plans to retrofit all of the weapon sets that have been released over the years without including UW skins. Converting staves into spears would seem even less likely.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Dolce Luce.6529 said:

It has been mentioned in other posts as well, but there are two staff skins that are actually spear skins: Darkspear and Sunspear (both LWS4 episode 1 skins). There is the hope that at least these two will be made into spear skins as well (but hey, what's in a name 😉 ). If you start considering the shape and design, there are a quite a few more staff skins that could be considered spears, but it might me a bit much to convert (or: open up) these to spear skins as well.

Wait till you see Lightward's Battlestaff.

• Thanks 1

On 6/7/2024 at 12:02 PM, CETheLucid.3964 said:

It says you can use all the Spear skins currently available and future weapon collections will start including Spears again. That doesn't mean they won't go back and add some Staff skins as Spears. Doesn't say anything in that regard. I might agree with you if you said that it wasn't likely they would do that, but it doesn't literally say they won't.

Anet is pretty good at throwing the fans happy little curve balls. They just might.

This. I hope they do but they quote does not in fact literally say "no old skins." "We also plan on adding spear skins with all future weapon skin collections," does not indicate they do not plan to add old skins in the future, just that we will be getting new spear skins with future weapon sets. I hope they do add the old skins though! haha

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/5/2024 at 10:53 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

After all the "Staffs aren't Spears" essays

That needs essays? You told everything about the topic to say in only four words. 😄

On 6/5/2024 at 10:53 PM, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

we've come to "can we get Staff skins as Spears skins."

Makes sense though. There aren't many spear skins after all.

However, I don't think any skill will be transfered/copied from or to spear (or any other weapon). Anet already started adding spear to new weapon sets again.
The new Dragon Bash set includes a spear as well as the new BL Ticket set.

PS. Has anyone noticed that the new BL Ticket set has no collection anymore? Normally BL Ticket sets have a collection that gives you 7 BL Tickets when unlocking the whole set.

Edited by kiroho.4738