elementalist spear

I just hope its not some weaid 600 - 800 ranged wepon that pretends to fill both an melee and ranged roll at the same time like they tried to do with hammer. If hammer was 900 range on every thing it would be soo much better OR if the hammer was more on the lines of melee / 300 ish but with higher self def and movement would also make it much better.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Anela.3867 said:

I think it looks amazing! I don’t have an Elementalist but this makes me want to make one. I came here to see what current Elementalists think about the new spear. 

Looking amazing is not like viable. I dont like that aoe field on the ground where elementalist is standing. This gonna hurt on boss fights/wvw/pvp. Let them satisfy ppl who want range option just give me also offhand sword with good cc/defense/selfheal and I am happy. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 6

I'm concerned on how it works with Weaver... Given the whole weapon's mechanic is on the 3 key...

Oops, I'm a goober. It's on the 5th skill. Might be okay.

I am excited to see how it goes regardless.

Edited by Vinny.7260
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarox.9601 said:

Looking amazing is not like viable. I dont like that aoe field on the ground where elementalist is standing. This gonna hurt on boss fights/wvw/pvp. Let them satisfy ppl who want range option just give me also offhand sword with good cc/defense/selfheal and I am happy. 

"Team, we did a bad job, we have to compensate this single person. GIve him/her, and only him/her an off-hand sword."

I hope you know I'm joking, the spear for ele looks pretty promising. We didn't get something that cool since Weaver's Sword (in my opinion), so it's a win. Let us enjoy and make it a feedbaack when the beta starts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

this is the staff we deserve! super stoked on all 3 from today. But the giant symbol on the ground looks cool, big magic attacks, air attunement seems to not be useless support. And the charge up mechanic on skill 5 gives us the ability to have a stronger nuke, no complaints here until I see it in action. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Flame Of The Titan.3649 said:

Lets hope it's not another gimmick weapon like Pistol, which nobody uses!

i do use it when i go condi tempest in raids. i cry a little each time i hear the auto attack and use the overload time to try and work out what bullets i have. if it wasn't for the numbers i would much prefer to use anything else though

• Thanks 1

Looks cool, but also a bit worried about visual clutter if it makes enemy aoes harder to see. Cause in group content you obviously won't be alone at range but stacked with everyone. Not sure if the symbol has to be that huge or prominent. From the description it doesn't sound like there's any effect in the area of the symbol, but that it's just an indicator of charging up the attack.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ragnarox.9601 said:

Well like every other ranged weapon in the game at high levels of play, you merely swap to it to get some heat off while still adding 'something' or firing the token 'thing' the weapon specializes in before rengaging with your melee set.

Or in the case of elementalist, you play it relatively melee anyway because that's just the nature of a fight and most encounters. You stack. Am I thrilled to have the option to go range? Is it what I wanted for spear? Yes. Absolutely. It looks great.

Won't satisfy the typical elementalist forum goer though because surprise! You're still going to have to go melee in a lot of scenarios.

I expect an essay (repeated) over the months about how the combat system has to be completely gutted so you can stand at exactly 2000 range from any fight in any given scenario from people who don't play the class.

Or rather from people that do in fact play the game quite well, understand how the game works, and are just obsessed with trying to ruin this class in particular. As the case may be.

Still, not everyone is like that. You should be happy for the ele's that wanted a range option. You're not lacking for dedicated melee ones.

• Confused 2

Aw. More of the same... Nothing new. No boon control,  no mixed range, no reveals or stealth, no good mobility, just mostly stationary aoe damage . Was really hoping for something more unique.

Fingers crossed the demo tomorrow changes my mind.  I want to like it...

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Cautiously optimistic in a solo/open world context. Elementalist ranged options have been lacklustre for a while, while melee weapons often run into the "we're not in core Tyria any more, we can't always afford to be pure or near-pure melee" problem. If they stick the landing, this looks like it could hit the sweet spot and be a viable alternative to sceptre (air and earth are a bit boring, IMO), staff (no) and pistol (insert the guy from the Office screaming no gif here).

I'm a little concerned about how the fifth skill will interact with weaver, since weaver is the only elite spec that doesn't have a mechanic pressuring you to be close to the enemy, but there's probably the opportunity to hit 5, then three other skills, then 5 again before switching over, especially if autoattacks count for charging the effect.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

Cautiously optimistic in a solo/open world context. Elementalist ranged options have been lacklustre for a while, while melee weapons often run into the "we're not in core Tyria any more, we can't always afford to be pure or near-pure melee" problem. If they stick the landing, this looks like it could hit the sweet spot and be a viable alternative to sceptre (air and earth are a bit boring, IMO), staff (no) and pistol (insert the guy from the Office screaming no gif here).

I'm a little concerned about how the fifth skill will interact with weaver, since weaver is the only elite spec that doesn't have a mechanic pressuring you to be close to the enemy, but there's probably the opportunity to hit 5, then three other skills, then 5 again before switching over, especially if autoattacks count for charging the effect.

If the Spear is purely a power-based glass cannon weapon, I'm curious what Air and Water attunements will bring to the table. Thematically, it would be nice to have a build that uses Air and Water, which has some options for bonuses to strike damages, to make a proper "storm mage." 

• Like 1