Warrior Spear Looks So Underwhelming Visually

Journi.7094

As the title says, if you have not watched the spear preview that ANet has streamed then I suggest you do over at their twitch and I'm sure it will be up on their youtube. The spear mechanically looks pretty good for all classes.

However, there is no way they could have taken warrior spear put it side by side to any other class when it comes to these skills visually and said this is up to par and looks nearly as good as any class. You take any of the other class spear skills and compare it to warrior and they are worlds a part visually.

It is very disappointing to see Warrior not get anything visually compelling.

One of the biggest things about making a class fun to play is making the skills feel and look like it has some weight behind the attacks and it feels like your making an impact when using these skills. Arc Divider is one of these skills here while it has been toned down with the change visually.

They could've added some wind particles while throwing the spear or the ground breaking when the spear lands. If you check out spear 2 its just an orange line streaking behind the spear. Spear 5 looks really boring and they could have added more spears or maybe 1 gigantic spear to really grasp that impact.

Maybe my suggestions are not the best and I welcome any suggestions here for our devs to take into any consideration.

I hope before spears are officially released in JW they heavily consider taking a look at warrior's spear visual design again.

With all discussions please keep it civil.

Thanks

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

it's funny how the visual gap has become greater and greater

it was close in vanilla, none of the other classes visual are way over the top

now is like warrior still gets no visual, but other classes get those visuals that look like from dragon ball somehow...

burst skill, the special move looks worse than other classes' average weapon skill, while other classes get those way over the top visual ultimates built into their weapon that's seperate from their class mechanics

lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Honestly, I feel like they could of done some justice for the 1 skill, like do a cleave animation or possible simple chain when in melee range like thief/ranger. to add onto the concept of "closer more damage"

1 hour ago, Dean Calaway.9718 said:

I'll never get this obsession with overblown visual effects, is there some prize or achievement for most obnoxious visual pollution character in the game I'm unaware of...

I agree with you, I prefer the understated effects of Warrior, it’s part of why I play it. But everyone has different preferences, and flashy Warrior is definitely an archetype, so I don’t blame them. Spear *was* a place to spice it up a bit (like a streak of fire behind the spear or something) but I like the white, force impact visuals we got, feels very warrior imo. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, oscuro.9720 said:

I agree with you, I prefer the understated effects of Warrior, it’s part of why I play it. But everyone has different preferences, and flashy Warrior is definitely an archetype, so I don’t blame them. Spear *was* a place to spice it up a bit (like a streak of fire behind the spear or something) but I like the white, force impact visuals we got, feels very warrior imo. 

This guy is a bot...or do people like this really exist? Are you part of the dev team? Do you eat onions raw? 

Dw guys, it's not only going to be underwhelming visually, but also playing it. (I'd like to get proven wrong, I'll be back when it gets released to say "told you so")

Edited by Vepa.6073
  • Confused 5

3 hours ago, Vepa.6073 said:

This guy is a bot...or do people like this really exist? Are you part of the dev team? Do you eat onions raw? 

Dw guys, it's not only going to be underwhelming visually, but also playing it. (I'd like to get proven wrong, I'll be back when it gets released to say "told you so")

Yes, there are people who like their abilities to not be bloated particle festivals.

Most of Warrior's abilities not being caked in particle vomit is one of the reasons why some people stick with Warrior, despite it being the bottom of the barrel.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The irony of the whole situation is that Warrior would be better off without particle effects.
Being the "physical profession" what it needs are good animations and sounds.
Exceptions to the rule being weapons that impact the environment (burning skills, hammer/mace),
or massive skills that need a big tell (Full Counter).

Losing it's yellow color scheme all together would be a breath of fresh air for me.
Having at least one profession where I can go with any gear color scheme,
without the worry I'll look like a clown the moment i start using my skills.

Edited by StraightPath.3972
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

24 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

How many crazy particle effects can you really add before warrior stops being "dabbles with a bit of magic occasionally" to being full-on guardian-but-yellow?

Somewhere like Spellbreaker which ironically is inspired by the original idea behind Spear Warrior? 

• Like 1

Where is unique buff for warrior? Almost every other class have one. Revenant have Crushing abyss, Thief have distracting throw, Mesmer have clarity, Guardian have illuminated,

Elementalist have seethe,ripple,energize,harden, Necromancer have soul shards 

Edited by Mara.6782
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My biggest problem is how un-warrior the skills look. Everything seems more fit for a ranger. I wish they added more brutal moves, something fit for a god of war game or something from the 300 movie. Something that makes you want to shout a war cry.

But I think the people wanting Paragon from gw1 were pretty loud and anet catered to them, I think. I hope those people are satisfied at least.

• Like 1

After watching a recording of the livestream, I don't really care about spear anymore.

I'm not a fan of ground-targeted abilities, and Warrior's spear has three of them.

Edited by Fueki.4753
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Verdict is Vengence.6912 said:

My biggest problem is how un-warrior the skills look. Everything seems more fit for a ranger. I wish they added more brutal moves, something fit for a god of war game or something from the 300 movie. Something that makes you want to shout a war cry.

But I think the people wanting Paragon from gw1 were pretty loud and anet catered to them, I think. I hope those people are satisfied at least.

Yeah, something more Sparta-ish, visceral and physical. Sadly, imo the primal burst skill shows devs weren't really that interested in coming up with something cool and instead went with the most generic and bland thing, just like staff. 🛌

• Like 2

What I wonder the most is why some professions manage to have their AA to both work at range and at melee while other don't. They introduced the technology, why didn't they extended to all spears skillsets?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dadnir.5038 said:

What I wonder the most is why some professions manage to have their AA to both work at range and at melee while other don't. They introduced the technology, why didn't they extended to all spears skillsets?

Literally first thing that came to my mind when I saw them showing it on ranger. I was like "I bet warrior isn't going to have this for no reason". Maybe the reason is the spear fragment mechanic but I am sure they could make it work somehow. It could have been slightly different when used as melee attack compared to ranged spear fragment... oh well.

Posted (edited)

I'm reading a lot of comments on here how they would like to keep warriors abilities simple.

I feel that when these discussions come up people automatically assume that we want ele levels of particles. That's not true at all and I don't know how these conclusions are jumped too when I do not see anyone asking for ele levels of flashiness. Yes it is compared to ele/engi yes because they are over the top cinematic but the difference visually is a massive gap like a canyon type of gap lmao.

I agree simple is nice and we do not need over the top flashy skills. However you take earthshaker, hundred blades , eviscerate, or hammer 2,3,5. It's simple but it also looks cool. There's weight behind these abilities as for our spear skills it looks like there is no weight behind these skills. They are imo too simple. Take a look at rupturing smash (hammer burst skill) the ground forms around it for a split second but you feel the weight behind it. You have a cool red(a semblance to rage) and its like yes this feels awesome especially in WVW when you just slam into a zerg.

Would love to keep this discussion going and I would love to see more suggestions on how we can improve this. Thanks for participating everyone.

Edited by Journi.7094
  • Like 2