Every sub after the spear stream:

4 hours ago, Magmi.6723 said:

it is a support weapon, and unfortunately it’s very common for those weapons, to see negative feedback because they’re useable in about 10% of content by 2 builds, 

but people also get mad when they don’t get a support weapon. Look at necro, we are mechanically built for all support to be loaded into our mechanic, so every weapon is DPS based, sounds like bliss ye? Every weapon works in all builds. 

nah, people mad AF we didn’t get a healing weapon. But you know if we did the other side would go mad at the fact it’s useless to them 

We saw this with warrior. A support weapon was one of the main requests before SotO and even EoD, but when staff was revealed, a lot of people were saying that warrior SHOULD be all about selfish DPS and self-survival.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, draxynnic.3719 said:

We saw this with warrior. A support weapon was one of the main requests before SotO and even EoD, but when staff was revealed, a lot of people were saying that warrior SHOULD be all about selfish DPS and self-survival.

Unfortunately I do think supports forever gonna sit in that environment.

there are a category of players who want these classes to have support. but the flip side tell those players to go play classes which already have this. 

the backlash on warrior I think will be harder however then guard, because warriors have had a decade of being progressed as a selfish DPS, the vast majority of warrior support was always from banners. 

same as I think necro would cause it, because they’ve given a 10 year background of not doing it. While guardian it’s pretty normal to share designs with support because they’ve always kinda done it. 

I do think u can’t do support weapons when it’s only the weapon, warrior Mesmer and now guard are all suffering this.

there’s a reason scourge and Spectre were hyped and well used, while these weapons were overall rejected. And it’s because with the elite and mechanic tied, their able to make these function in more then 1 role. 

a stand alone weapon, will never achieve that well. Staff warrior could have been amazing, if it was done properly. I.e Monk elite spec which should have happened. 

Edited by Magmi.6723
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Markus.6415 said:

Guardian spear is yellow with blue, exactly like the Firebrand F3 tome skills and one of the mantras i believe, there is no actual green. Ranger on the other hand is a bit too teal compared to everything else, that's true it should be more yellow-green. But engineer again is using the same yellows and browns that the hammer electricity also had, to not be easily mistaken with Ele white-purple lightning.

Guardian spear is NOT yellow with blue. The effects shown in the previews and the livestream were very clearly GREEN, or well yellow-green… but green nonetheless. Only one of the attacks had any blue and it was a faint flash from the character at the start of the attack, but the swipe effect at the tip of the spear was once again green. The symbol was green, the shards were green, everything was green.

Comparing it to the F3 skills of firebrand… on firebrand we see very clearly the normal guardian blue effect on all but 2 of the skills in the F3 tome. Additionally the yellow that is mixed into the F3 tome skills is a very vibrant yellow, and it doesn’t blend with the blue to look yellow-green either. The symbol visual effect on one of the skills is the distinct Guardian Blue symbol with that vibrant yellow effect around it. This is NOT what they have done with spear in the slightest.

Fix: change the symbol visuals to guardian blue, and use the same vibrant yellow that is on firebrand F3 skills. For the spear attacks, make the attack lines blue but the strike effects yellow… the skill that rains down shards should have a blue symbol in the sky with vibrant yellow shards raining down. Then it will properly read as Guardian.

I went and looked closely at Scrapper hammer since I didn’t remember any lightning effects on it… and while it is an orange lightning, it’s all done with just orange, yellow, and white… no brown, its more yellow than orange, and the orange is more of an accent to help create better contrast. Meanwhile the spear uses orange as the primary color and doesn’t even make the core of the lightning white like it is on hammer, and accents it with brown for contrast… As a result, to me, it reads more like the fiery orange skills of Warrior. They need to add more white, and tone down the orange just a bit.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Panda.1967 said:

Guardian spear is NOT yellow with blue. The effects shown in the previews and the livestream were very clearly GREEN, or well yellow-green… but green nonetheless. Only one of the attacks had any blue and it was a faint flash from the character at the start of the attack, but the swipe effect at the tip of the spear was once again green. The symbol was green, the shards were green, everything was green.

Comparing it to the F3 skills of firebrand… on firebrand we see very clearly the normal guardian blue effect on all but 2 of the skills in the F3 tome. Additionally the yellow that is mixed into the F3 tome skills is a very vibrant yellow, and it doesn’t blend with the blue to look yellow-green either. The symbol visual effect on one of the skills is the distinct Guardian Blue symbol with that vibrant yellow effect around it. This is NOT what they have done with spear in the slightest.

Fix: change the symbol visuals to guardian blue, and use the same vibrant yellow that is on firebrand F3 skills. For the spear attacks, make the attack lines blue but the strike effects yellow… the skill that rains down shards should have a blue symbol in the sky with vibrant yellow shards raining down. Then it will properly read as Guardian.

I went and looked closely at Scrapper hammer since I didn’t remember any lightning effects on it… and while it is an orange lightning, it’s all done with just orange, yellow, and white… no brown, its more yellow than orange, and the orange is more of an accent to help create better contrast. Meanwhile the spear uses orange as the primary color and doesn’t even make the core of the lightning white like it is on hammer, and accents it with brown for contrast… As a result, to me, it reads more like the fiery orange skills of Warrior. They need to add more white, and tone down the orange just a bit.

Okay you really made me rewatch the Guardian part, even the trailer for it and i gotta say... it is yellow. I have no idea how you come up with "green". And there clearly are some blueish flames and light effects build into it. Maybe the Sunqua Arena with it's color tint makes it hard for you to see yellow, but it definately isn't green.

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Markus.6415 said:

Okay you really made me rewatch the Guardian part, even the trailer for it and i gotta say... it is yellow. I have no idea how you come up with "green". And there clearly are some blueish flames and light effects build into it. Maybe the Sunqua Arena with it's color tint makes it hard for you to see yellow, but it definately isn't green.

No, it is very much yellow-green, just rewarched it again myself. It is NOT yellow… and as I stated before, the yellow used in the firebrand skills is a very vibrant yellow, unmistakably so.

2 minutes ago, Panda.1967 said:

No, it is very much yellow-green, just rewarched it again myself. It is NOT yellow… and as I stated before, the yellow used in the firebrand skills is a very vibrant yellow, unmistakably so.

Let's wait for the beta event and compare it there i guess.

19 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

Don't you know? MY CLASS is always oppressed and gets the worst things, so pls buff! 😢 

Ele pistol says hi.
Ele spear didn't get: boon removal, reveal.
But hey, atleast we've got some flashy animations which are nice and another gimmick on a weapon!
I'm gonna wait for beta to check it properly, but it doesn't look impressive. Knowing my luck it'll get some unique nerfs after release that are only applied to Eles as usual.

• Confused 2

On 6/24/2024 at 8:12 PM, TrollingDemigod.3041 said:

Ele pistol says hi.
Ele spear didn't get: boon removal, reveal.
But hey, atleast we've got some flashy animations which are nice and another gimmick on a weapon!
I'm gonna wait for beta to check it properly, but it doesn't look impressive. Knowing my luck it'll get some unique nerfs after release that are only applied to Eles as usual.

Boon removal and reveal seem to be things that ArenaNet don't see as elementalist capabilities, so there wasn't any reason to expect them. We'll see how elespear works in beta, though - there definitely are some concerns beneath the flashy animations, although I'm far more optimistic about ele than rev.

Ele pistol does indeed send greetings, though.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Fueki.4753 said:

Rather than loading up professions with Reveal, I'd like them to substantially reduce Stealth.

The high stealth builds are a class fantasy for a lot of people. I wouldn't want to take too much of that away from them. The watchdog revealer is another classic fantasy trope that could provide fun counter play and enriched team composition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On 6/22/2024 at 2:34 AM, Beddo.1907 said:

This happens every time we get anything. If someone is negative, they will tell that to everyone and if someone is positive, they have better things to do.

Eh, 6 of the 9 weapons from SotO doesn't saw any use in PvP/WvW.

I don't mandatory need that every new weapon from expansions becomes a meta (which would mean cosntant power creep), but would be nice if at least they provide viable options.

I main Rev and did use scepter for like 30 minutes since the release. Weapon Mastery allowing every Rev spec to run short bow was x1000 times more impactful.

The Rev spear? I don't even plan to buy the expansion, since seems useles for PvP/WvW. And in PvE is plain worse than what we currently have...

Edited by Buran.3796
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

On 6/22/2024 at 4:58 AM, Ferus.3165 said:

guardian spear is so good. You have no sustain, no hard cc, no soft cc, no evade, no blocks, no stealth, no blast or leap finishers and all except one skill are melee. But as a tradeoff it at least doesn't deal a lot of damage. kitten that's good.

So, you're saying it was meant for willbender who has everything else already?

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, Buran.3796 said:

Eh, 6 of the 9 weapons from SotO doesn't saw any use in PvP/WvW.

I don't mandatory need that every new weapon from expansions becomes a meta (which would mean cosntant power creep), but would be nice if at least they provide viable options.

I main Rev and did use scepter for like 30 minutes since the release. Weapon Mastery allowing every Rev spec to run short bow was x1000 times more impactful.

The Rev spear? I don't even plan to buy the expansion, since seems useles for PvP/WvW. And in PvE is plain worse than what we currently have...

Between Wing 8 and Housing, I will buy the expansion regardless of where the spear falls. 

in PvE you can’t rly say that, Spear will depend on final balancing numbers if it is or isn’t worse. PvP / WvWvW, thing will require a rework. 

28 minutes ago, Magmi.6723 said:

Between Wing 8 and Housing, I will buy the expansion regardless of where the spear falls. 

in PvE you can’t rly say that, Spear will depend on final balancing numbers if it is or isn’t worse. PvP / WvWvW, thing will require a rework. 

I already have the legendary armors and trinkets and relic; if a new weapon/spec doesn't do anything for me in PvP/WvW I don't have any reason to buy the expansion...

• Confused 1

Look, babies. My babes.

Look at what Janthir Wilds is about. Look at the overall *idea* of it. It is a kind of low-fantasy, primeval, survivalist setting. We are going to be dealing with untamed forests and rivers, eldritch beasties, and riding a warclaw with spears. The biggest feature being introduced here is a homestead, in the middle of nowhere, where you can sit alone and decorate and sip tea, and tell everyone to get off your land if you want.

This is the *solo experience* expansion. It is just you, and your spear, in the wilds. This is leaning heavily into solo world exploration (and hopefully we get some nicer maps than SotO to justify it).

Most of these spears are leaning *heavily* toward solo open world exploration. Ranger is about stealthing and pouncing. Necro is about crippling, closing in, and assassinating. Ele is about bigBIG spells and pinpoint-accuracy CC. Rev is a meaty mid-range bruiser. Engi is about focusing down single targets with some melee AoE control. And most of these spears are designed to feel like good, cohesive kits, before you add espec gimmicks, and without the need to swap weapons spastically.

Spear is very clearly an attempt to cater to casual players who just want to roam around open world living their best lives. And that is okay. After sitting through the powercreep of HoT's raid-meta Chrono/Druid, PoF's WvW-meta of FB/Scourge, EoD's PvP meta, it is okay that this is doing something different. This is the crowd they want and need to attract to make more money: the casual open worlders. Not every weapon needs to be optimized, you guys have been beating that meta into the ground until we have nothing but boonslaves and DPS anyway. Chillax, spears can be stupid and inefficient and have slower, more FUN identities than the spamminess of benchmark modes.

Stop. Breathe. Understand the spear. Learn to love the spear. I thought I hated the spear, but I was just having a hard time letting go of underwater combat. It's okay to let go. Embrace the spear. The spear is the way.

Every profession fanbase wants to be superior and considers everything else an insufferable totally undeserved humiliation. A proof that the developers truly hate them since the launch of the game. As it is the same drama for every single balance-patch and beta, there is nothing to worry about. We use to say: As long as you hear somebody complaining, you know they are awake and their vital body-functions (brain, blood-pressure, breathing) work properly = they are healthy.

The most important part is that people actively participate in the beta and contribute data via active combat. Which is one of the reasons, why I am happy that they grant as free passage to all areas.