What will happen to Unusual Coin (and Gift of Persistence)?

Posted (edited)

Will SOTO's "Unusual Coins" be re categorized as "Ancient Coins" by the Society of Coin Collectors as was done with the EoD "Unusual Coins"? Or will the current Unusual Coins be recategorized as a different coin? What will happen to  the coin portion of the the Gift of Persistence cost?

Edit: Will Gift of Persistence continue to use "Unusual Coins" and effectively require the Janthir Wilds expansion?

Edited by Atraleos.5849
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cronospere.8143 said:

Id like to know this too. I guess it will be a new coin 

Unusual coins have the following description: Acquired by opening hidden chests in the most recent expansion's content

So I think it's more likely that this currency will be gained only in JaWi the moment it lands and that SoTO will then give ancient coins like in EoD. Which then means that the rewards you can get with coins in SoTO will switch to ancient coins as well. 

• Like 4

It is possible that they'll make the same mistake of not merging the WvW Heroics currencies under the Proof of Heroics currency, but the PvE currency guys seem to be on the ball with things. Even if they fail to automatically convert the currencies, at least you can take solace in that even us WvW guys have a way to manually convert old currencies over, so they'll do at least that much.

/sourgrapes Who needs automation, anyways?

• Confused 1

We don't know, but it's likely that they will work at the same pattern as Strike's crystal shards do:

The newest expansion will always have the one currency (unusual coins / green shards).
And the older expansions will share the other currency (ancient coins / blue shards).

With JW release, unusual coins and green shards from Soto will be turned into ancient coins and blue shards.

Just like EoD's green shards turned into blue shards on Soto release.

Posted (edited)

It's pretty clear that they will convert the Unusual Coins we got from SotO to Ancient Coins once Janthir launches. They sent an in game mail to explain this when SotO launched. If you mouse over the currencies in your wallet you see the following.

Unusual coins: 

"Acquired by opening hidden chests in the most recent expansion's content. Can be traded with Unusual Coin Collectors for rewards."

Ancient coins:

"Acquired by opening hidden chests in content released prior to the current expansion. Can be traded with Ancient Coin Collectors for rewards."

Edited by Pifil.5193
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Gehenna.3625 said:

Unusual coins have the following description: Acquired by opening hidden chests in the most recent expansion's content

So I think it's more likely that this currency will be gained only in JaWi the moment it lands and that SoTO will then give ancient coins like in EoD. Which then means that the rewards you can get with coins in SoTO will switch to ancient coins as well. 

What i was trying to say is that i think the soto coin will be a new coin not the jawi one. 

But above comment is pretty clear. So i guess i was wrong anyway lol 

Edited by Cronospere.8143

As people have said, it will probably be the same as for strike crystals. Your unusual coin stock will merge with your ancient coins, SotO vendors will accept ancient coins (including for anything related to open world legendary armour), and the new expansion will start anew with unusual coins.

Edited by draxynnic.3719
  • Like 1

This may be a little off topic and too little too late, but it would sure be nice to be able to trade them for more than just a gift for legendary armor in SOTO.... like a 1:1 trade for map currency would be amazing,  since map currency can already buy so many different things...

Otherwise, After JW launches, the alternative rewards for the coins will only be from other expansions. 

• Like 3

We even got the RP message at soto release about it:

Dearest fellow coin enthusiasts,

I hope this letter reaches you all in the heartiest of health. For those who could not attend our latest symposium on unusual coins, I bear tidings of a recent change in categorization that you should all become immediately aware of.

To be brief: your current collections of unusual coins have been recatagorized as ancient coins. I will still happily trade for your ancient coins as I once did when we called them "unusual." I will also gladly take any new unusual coins you may find in exchange for my ancient coins, so have no fear of missing out!

The society has deemed that all coins in more recently discovered territories shall be called unusual coins until such time that they have been property examined and catalogued, at which point they shall also be reclassified as ancient coins. Collectors of unusual coins will no doubt make themselves known in such locations and offer interesting new incentives to trade with them.

This system of discovery and reclassification shall continue in perpetuity. Or until the society changes its mind. Thank you for your time, and I hope to see you all at the next symposium.

Chin-Hwa, Collector of Ancient Coins

Unusual coins will keep getting reclassified into ancient coins with every new expansion released until anet decides "nah, we're doing something else now" society changes its mind.

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2024 at 7:29 PM, Atraleos.5849 said:

Will SOTO's "Unusual Coins" be re categorized as "Ancient Coins" by the Society of Coin Collectors as was done with the EoD "Unusual Coins"? Or will the current Unusual Coins be recategorized as a different coin? What will happen to  the coin portion of the the Gift of Persistence cost?

Edit: Will Gift of Persistence continue to use "Unusual Coins" and effectively require the Janthir Wilds expansion?

As of launch, Gift of Persistence still uses Unusual Coins. But this is Anet, so I imagine they just forgot to change it and we'll see it get fixed in the next bug patch.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Neathra.1950 said:

As of launch, Gift of Persistence still uses Unusual Coins. But this is Anet, so I imagine they just forgot to change it and we'll see it get fixed in the next bug patch.

The arcane chests also still give unusual coins which definately seems wrong, hoping for a fix soon for daily alt parkers

Just checked this morning, everything seems to be fixed, the greater arcane chests are giving ancient coins and the gift of persistance requires ancient coins as well. Not sure as to the small chests in the maps, but it appears the issue is resolved!

• Thanks 3

On 8/22/2024 at 6:50 AM, Archmelody.6830 said:

Just checked this morning, everything seems to be fixed, the greater arcane chests are giving ancient coins and the gift of persistance requires ancient coins as well. Not sure as to the small chests in the maps, but it appears the issue is resolved!

So it is!