What keeps you from raids?

Cyrin.1035

I didn't wanna be a PS warr, chronobunker or druid. I wanted to play my necro (or rev). Moment legendary armors became available in spvp and wvw i nope'd the fk outta raids and never came back. No elitist jerks, no pugs with all their lovely issues, no getting chained down by meta.

As excruciantigly nerve - wracking and exhausing grinding for legendaries for my necro was in spvp and wvw (before i deleted all chars) it was still the lesser evil then putting up with a raidguild or raid pug BS.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of the above. Been down this road before in other games. Pugged and Guilded. Hardcore and Casual. Progression can be fun for a bit, but farm is boring and too much trouble at the same time. It's a time hog. It by it's nature discourages inclusiveness, and thus is divisive/toxic. This game's progression is horizontal, thus there is no real on-ramp for new players to get into raiding alongside more experienced peers that would accelerate their learning. This problem will get worse over time. But, it won't effect me, I've ignored raids in this game. I plan to continue doing so.

I' m interested into dungeon, fractals and raids. But I have a steeper learning curve (autism). You can explain me countless time, I could watch video replays but I really have to experience it myself first before all puzzle pieces fall together for me, at my own pace. So a nono for me, I don't want to disappoint my group.

@"Grampybone.3716" said:I' m interested into dungeon, fractals and raids. But I have a steeper learning curve (autism). You can explain me countless time, I could watch video replays but I really have to experience it myself first before all puzzle pieces fall together for me, at my own pace. So a nono for me, I don't want to disappoint my group.

Is that due to autism?I'm just wondering, because I've always had to deal with things hands on to fully grasp on what I have to do.

Then of course if it's been a while since I've done it, I might completely forget and then have to get like a "jumpstart" in my brain and then from a little hint I finally go "Oh yeah, I remember now."

Combo of "too much commitment" and "the group aspect." It's like homework. Or worse than homework--you gotta do a fuggin research paper and then get it published to the right journals to be peer reviewed and on and on. Elitism in it isn't attractive or motivating, so that may play a part in making me procrastinate my homework, though I wouldn't say that by itself would keep me out as much as the homework itself.

All these comments, it's really a shame that ANet spent money that we paid them through Box Prices and Gem Store purchases only to have a play ground for the Elite, personally I think any one that doesn't play a Meta build or Meta class should have been afforded a partial refund by now of Heart of Thorns and Path of Fire, either that or make story modes available for those of us that have ZERO interest in Legendary Armor and just want to PLAY THE STORY.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:make story modes available for those of us that have ZERO interest in Legendary Armor and just want to PLAY THE STORY.

So you want anet to waste dev time making content that will be dead on arrival. All those people that claim to want the story, will start a new crusade complaining that rewards are not good enough. There is no reason for anet to make something that will be only touched once.

For me its the impatience with dealing with impatient people. I have never raided except for 1 try when the first raid came. I know that my lack of experience there probably will get me kicked quite quickly. Im fine with people setting their terms, so I do the same myself, by not doing raids. I would love to at one point,though, at least to get a heavy set of legendary armor. Not a must by any means.

When i finished all the meta build for my character, meta changed from ps zerk war to condi war. And not only changed, anet nerfed ps war so hard that it became useless.All of a sudden i am stuck with a gear that is not accepted anymore and ppl tell me to start building the new meta.Im just afraid to build it again and by the time i finish it changes over to something else. That is just not fun and not worth for me.And using exotic gear isnt enough apparently. I got kicked by multiple groups for trying to go in exotic gear... Its ascended / legendary or get out. After taking long to craft the ascended previous meta, im not motivated to craft the new one just to satisfy the elitists that used to kick me for using exotics

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:

@"Grampybone.3716" said:I' m interested into dungeon, fractals and raids. But I have a steeper learning curve (autism). You can explain me countless time, I could watch video replays but I really have to experience it myself first before all puzzle pieces fall together for me, at my own pace. So a nono for me, I don't want to disappoint my group.

Is that due to autism?I'm just wondering, because I've always had to deal with things hands on to fully grasp on what I have to do.

Then of course if it's been a while since I've done it, I might completely forget and then have to get like a "jumpstart" in my brain and then from a little hint I finally go "Oh yeah, I remember now."

Autism can be a blessing and a curse, Ive got some traits, and on one hand I find it difficult to connect with triaining videos etc, but on the other when I do participate I tend to obsess over absolutely perfecting every single moment and movement - its a time commitment though that I can no longer afford.

For me, there are two reasons. The schedule and the people. I keep odd hours, so odd that they are wholly inconsistent and I have no clue whether I will be awake or asleep at any given time. I can't make commitments to guilds because I have no guarantee that I'll even be there.

Second, the most "elite" parts of the game tend to attract the worst community members. The old dungeons were toxic as it gets, and that was just running old school dungeons. I'm not looking forward to getting in to 20 minute long chat arguments on whether berserker or renegade runes is better. Being surrounded by terrible people really sucks the fun out of any hobby.

@Cynn.1659 said:

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:make story modes available for those of us that have ZERO interest in Legendary Armor and just want to PLAY THE STORY.

So you want anet to waste dev time making content that will be dead on arrival. All those people that claim to want the story, will start a new crusade complaining that rewards are not good enough. There is no reason for anet to make something that will be only touched once.

So you just want to waste Dev time making content for a tiny fraction of the PVE player base, how's that a good return on my Gem store investment?

Unfortunately there's only one option to choose from for the poll, I was branching out from my initial choice,so just to be crystal clear I'm on topic still.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

So you just want to waste Dev time making content for a tiny fraction of the PVE player base, how's that a good return on my Gem store investment?

Crap that's a double post.

Another "people are mean to me" or "I want to play my useless build" thread (which can be solved by MAKING YOUR OWN GROUP?!?), With a hint of "I never done raids but they are too easy for me". Get it together people, You're literally giving yourself excuses to not do something because its slightly harder.

I can play raids just fine with meme parties (scourges only, first join gets to ride gorsy)but otherwise i get too many new players and a few real raiders, with too little dps in total so it ends up taking 4 hours per kill.Can't join stupid LI requirement parties cuz i don't have that much LI.

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

Unfortunately there's only one option to choose from for the poll, I was branching out from my initial choice,so just to be crystal clear I'm on topic still.

First, your “return on gemstore investment” is that at least 90% of the game(past, current and future) is very casual friendly in the sense that you can play whatever you want, however you want and still complete it.

Second, the fraction of the game that you feel is inaccessible is only inaccessible because of restrictions other players impose on you, not the content itself. This has an obvious work-around in playing with friends or making an own group.

Third, you can’t expect a game to be developed around your personal wants and needs based on your gemstore consumption.

Unsurprisingly, the two reasons I suspected would be the most prevalent are indeed the most voted for, and it has to do with the time and effort of forming groups, dealing with people, or preparing builds for Raids.

And that is pretty much what it boils down to for me as well. I have no issues with challenging content, but when it feels like content is walled off by layers of unnecessarily tedious or annoying hurdles, it really is off putting for me. The issue is compounded by the fact that balance changes have been quite drastic lately, with builds going from one extreme to another, to the point where you never know whether the build you're gearing up for is still going to be relevant in the near future. The anxiety associated with committing time and resources to a build that might evaporate into obscurity does kill motivation quite a bit.

I would have a lot more fun if I can duo or trio raid content. Its the same experience, only scaled back with lesser rewards. I have a lot more patience gaming with someone I know in real life and its a much more enjoyable experience w/o the toxic environment that is in raid parties.

Archived