What keeps you from raids?

Cyrin.1035

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, I forgot to mention that groups also require full ascended armor sets and certain runes (I got kicked once just because of "wrong" runes in my armor). For me it's not a problem to get an armor set, and I agree that it's better to have ascended armor due to higher stats. But I find it not reasonable to have a set that you use JUST for raids, because you wouldn't use it in normal PvE. Well, in addition to a character that is used just for raids too.So, the necessity to have a certain build + certain armor just for raids kills a lot of fun.

@"Vault Girl.6792" said:Ah, I forgot to mention that groups also require full ascended armor sets and certain runes (I got kicked once just because of "wrong" runes in my armor). For me it's not a problem to get an armor set, and I agree that it's better to have ascended armor due to higher stats. But I find it not reasonable to have a set that you use JUST for raids, because you wouldn't use it in normal PvE. Well, in addition to a character that is used just for raids too.So, the necessity to have a certain build + certain armor just for raids kills a lot of fun.

But why avoid raids just because they require you to run a specific build? There are very many friendly and cheap builds that are widely accepted within raids - you should try them out and get the chance to enjoy the raids rather than completely avoid them.

I used to play raids to get certain skins (Staff of Matthias/White Mantle Rod). I stopped playing after I obtained them and haven't bothered with any raids since then because of the lack of good skins. This may change however with the new raid. Oblivion is just too good to skip over.

Kitty likes raiding a lot, but one thing that used to earn Kitty lots of kicks during her LFG-times was her will to play whatever she wants, be it meta or not, instead of playing one of the 5 top DPS benchmark builds or some other healer than druid, though Kitty's almost always been capable of pulling her own weight in squads (with a couple nightmareish exceptions when Kitty failed so hard she couldn't forgive herself) regardless of build.

Also, some people like to kick Kitty on sight 'cause she's apparently angered some peoples by showing that even the most despised builds can raid quite successfully. (or they were scared of their possible fails getting recorded)

Luckily Kitty's now raiding with GW2 Raid Academy peoples who actually do accept non-meta builds as long as you carry your own weight on them (same can't be said for some other training discords) and they have quite good teachers for bosses so Kitty's learned the tricks of harder bosses, too.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@"Gabbynot.2654" said:raids was the worst thing put in to this game by anet. next to tying stuff to raids that should never been hooked to raids at all !!

Like what? Raids need to have rewards and incentive to play, otherwise they will be empty content.

A lot of the incentive for raids should come from challenge and titles alone. For that end, having challenge motes not be repeatable is a really bad move for example. It's kinda like playing Devil May Cry 3 on the strongest mode and get infinitely powerful character unlock for it. The character is just a bonus, perk, etc. The real thing you achieved was to finish the game on its hardest setting to begin with (i.e you don't even need that "reward"!). With GW2 being focused on skins and achievements, tying too much of these to raid content does seem strange, even if there's nothing "wrong" with using rewards as incentive.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying raids should have 0 rewards, but consider that the devs decided it was the only mode to have fully animated armor with two phases (that they admit strained the armor team by a large margin and is used as the reason for a drought in armor development), as well as having very polished skins (it's comparable to Black Lion stuff, nothing like what we get on Living World). Regardless of what they say and how they treat the mode, this alone makes the relative importance of Raids to become much higher than [Anet themselves claim] it should be.

Anet can either decide to focus on Raids as an important part of content or tone down on the non-title rewards a little. Let's drop the "endgame" part of "endgame content" too because GW2 still caters to "all the game is endgame" philosophy, with only the very light vertical progression of fractals being present. All the rest can equally be played by people with 2 years and with 2 months of playing the game, including Raids. But what they're doing now, is to keep positioning themselves in a place where Raid is supposed to be niche when they are clearly putting stuff there that they know everyone (not only the niche players) will want.

Finally, this is the very same issue with PvP where they need the PvE farmers to barely keep a population but also despise that these people are clearly playing only for the rewards without necessarily caring for the content. Not an easy issue but you have to recognize it as an issue.

I'm actually very interested in raids and would really like to get a weekly team together, but there is a very specific group of people I want to play with (you know, friends - lol) but they're not raid ready yet (gear-wise). I really don't care if we're not super amazing, speed clearing beasts, I just wanna try!

I've been thinking about joining some "newbie" raid groups from another guild I've been with for years, but I'm worried it won't be as fun without this weird group of friends of mine. :p

I can't choose just one response because several apply to me. Too much of a commitment (time, in my case, due to the fact that I just can't be at the computer non-stop for a couple of hours at a time, and the rare times I can dedicate that time are not peak playing hours for others), the group aspect (which also ties into the time commitment thing because finding a complete group can/does take a while if you're not with a pre-made guild group), and I'm also just not too interested in group content at the moment (I go through phases where I enjoy running group content, and then I go through phases where I don't enjoy it).

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@"Vault Girl.6792" said:Ah, I forgot to mention that groups also require full ascended armor sets and certain runes (I got kicked once just because of "wrong" runes in my armor). For me it's not a problem to get an armor set, and I agree that it's better to have ascended armor due to higher stats. But I find it not reasonable to have a set that you use JUST for raids, because you wouldn't use it in normal PvE. Well, in addition to a character that is used just for raids too.So, the necessity to have a certain build + certain armor just for raids kills a lot of fun.

But why avoid raids just because they require you to run a specific build? There are very many friendly and cheap builds that are widely accepted within raids - you should try them out and get the chance to enjoy the raids rather than completely avoid them.

You are right, but I'm not concerned about the cost and the difficulty. I just don't want to be forced to play classes and builds I don't like, and to have several characters with different builds just for raids. And even if I do, the group might already have enough mesmers/eles/warriors/druids/whatever and require a class that I don't have. Or a new boss can be introduced, and then I'd need to quickly switch to a new build in order to be accepted (and still use the old build for other bosses).Too much effort and too little fun.

@Vault Girl.6792 said:

@Vault Girl.6792 said:Ah, I forgot to mention that groups also require full ascended armor sets and certain runes (I got kicked once just because of "wrong" runes in my armor). For me it's not a problem to get an armor set, and I agree that it's better to have ascended armor due to higher stats. But I find it not reasonable to have a set that you use JUST for raids, because you wouldn't use it in normal PvE. Well, in addition to a character that is used just for raids too.So, the necessity to have a certain build + certain armor just for raids kills a lot of fun.

You are right, but I'm not concerned about the cost and the difficulty. I just don't want to be forced to play classes and builds I don't like, and to have several characters with different builds just for raids. And even if I do, the group might already have enough mesmers/eles/warriors/druids/whatever and require a class that I don't have. Or a new boss can be introduced, and then I'd need to quickly switch to a new build in order to be accepted (and still use the old build for other bosses).Too much effort and too little fun.

I play Soulbeast on every fight apart from KC, KC is the only boss that forces people to switch characters - of course, a balance patch coming soon will change these things, but there are classes you can stick to for constant fights that's DPS. I hope you find the motivation to find a DPS build that you can stick with, that's meta and get a chance to enjoy raids for what they are.

It's a pain to get into pugs if you don't have the Li, but if you whisper the squad leader, prior to joining, I'm sure they will be understanding.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@Vault Girl.6792 said:Ah, I forgot to mention that groups also require full ascended armor sets and certain runes (I got kicked once just because of "wrong" runes in my armor). For me it's not a problem to get an armor set, and I agree that it's better to have ascended armor due to higher stats. But I find it not reasonable to have a set that you use JUST for raids, because you wouldn't use it in normal PvE. Well, in addition to a character that is used just for raids too.So, the necessity to have a certain build + certain armor just for raids kills a lot of fun.

I play Soulbeast on every fight apart from KC, KC is the only boss that forces people to switch characters - of course, a balance patch coming soon will change these things, but there are classes you can stick to for constant fights that's DPS. I hope you find the motivation to find a DPS build that you can stick with, that's meta and get a chance to enjoy raids for what they are.

It's a pain to get into pugs if you don't have the Li, but if you whisper the squad leader, prior to joining, I'm sure they will be understanding.

Like what DPS build, for example? Usually groups always need only condi PS, condi druids and power chronos. Power eles for most of the bosses, too. The rest depends on a boss. At least most of the builds are listed in the meta column here https://qtfy.eu/guildwars/raid-build-comparisons/ only for some bosses (if at all).

One of the things that attracted me to GW2 was no raids. Good for people who like them, they have something they enjoy, but I do not feel I should have to give a reason why I do not participate in a certain piece of content. Consider the following:

What keeps you from PVE?What keeps you from PVP?What keeps you from WVW?What keeps you from dungeons?What keeps you from role playing?What keeps you from doing the story?

Was the OP (or anyone else) feeling a bit defensive about any of those questions?

I fell in love with this game because it was different, because I could share a world and a game with people, and not need to worry being in their group, or guild, or network, we could all just play a game, and somehow be working together and on our own at the same time.. and it was AMAZING! It was such a break from what I knew, that I was captivated by it, enamored by this concept.

Raids are nothing special or unique to MMO world, in fact they are everywhere, and, well, If I wanted to Raid, I'd never left my previous MMO. GW2 was at one time special in this regard.. now it seems content to slowly morph into just another WoW clone.

I fell in love with this game because it was different, because I could share a world and a game with people, and not need to worry being in their group, or guild, or network, we could all just play a game, and somehow be working together and on our own at the same time.. and it was AMAZING! It was such a break from what I knew, that I was captivated by it, enamored by this concept.

Raids are nothing special or unique to MMO world, in fact they are everywhere, and, I have nothing against them personally, but truth be told, If I wanted to Raid, I'd never left my previous MMO, I had a whole network of fellow Raidesr to run with, and around 30 raids to rotate through, to keep me busy.

I liked GW2 because it was antithesis to that environment, and was at one time special in this regard.. now it seems content to slowly morph into just another WoW clone.

Wish it was a multi choice poll xD

I won't do raids because of time commitment, difficulty level, and being instanced.

I much prefer OW content.

I don't even play fractals anymore, although I am interested in the lower levels..although i have no idea what they're like now. Haven't played a fractal since before HoT.

I'm not a skilled player, and I'm ok with that. I never will be.I'm not even interested in the rewards from Raids.

I even find the bosses in the story instances to be too much at times. Too much to do, too much aoe to worry about, ..It's like sensory overload. I wish that could be toned down. ..but I understand, I'm a minority player And not Anets market.

But if I don't even enjoy story bosses? Yeah, I can't see myself enjoying Raids either.And. ..groups wouldn't want me, so I wouldn't inflict myself on them either haha.

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

@Gabbynot.2654 said:raids was the worst thing put in to this game by anet. next to tying stuff to raids that should never been hooked to raids at all !!

Like what? Raids need to have rewards and incentive to play, otherwise they will be empty content.

i did not make my self clear enough i see so . let me try this . raids should and need to be removed from this game fully . and never put back into this game ever . you want to raid fine their is wow for it . and that is on top of the stuff anet tried to these foolish raids . like armor pieces and so forth . now i do hope i made my self much more clear on this topic so even you can get it . :# :# :#

@Lunateric.3708 said:

@Ayumi Spender.1082 said:Also should state that, I have only 2 classes I'm comfortable with. The rest of them I can barely survive/deal with in PvE.That said, from the 2 classes I'm comfortable with, one of them would never be able to Raid, which would be my thief.Pistol theif would get kicked out before I even load into the raid area.The next is Necro and/or Scourge (I never liked Reaper and will never like Reaper).

Necros are another if they see the symbol they would kick out.

So there's 0 chance of me ever getting to see a raid.

Back when I started raiding I did it with a marauder daredevil. Had just started with the game and was my first ascended set after hunting down achieves everywhere for it. I got in a guild that took me even with a subpar gear build like that and after a couple weeks of raiding twice a week I was comfortable enough to start migrating into full berserker's, the first month went by and I was killing every boss in wings 1, 2 and 3. Fast forward to now and I got two legendary armor sets made and enough for the third, tried every class and geared every class too even though I only just pug a full clear on reset night. What changed the game for me was joining a guild and maybe that'll help you; you'll fail, you'll most likely cause wipes and you will learn from it as long as you want to learn. I wouldn't give up

So you're saying there's a guild out there that would allow a Necro to raid? I only have a few ascended at the moment (right now working on getting 1 more ring and 1 more amulet from living world maps to have all ascended accessories and have 3 out of 4 ascended weapons on me. My armour is still exotic though).I've always been a condition Necro since the beginning as I liked playing condition so I've been playing/aiming for Vipers.

Still not sure where or how to get someone to not go "Lol, Necro? No. Eat skritt and die." or something.

Do you know about groups like the Raider's Inn?, they take noobs of any kind and help them get up to speed. There's also the subreddit for recruitment but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link it.

If you're on tonight I'll whisper you and get you some more groups, I don't mind. If you wanna try you will get your chance, I guarantee it.

If I get the time to be on, I'll be glad to see how that works out.

@Gabbynot.2654 said:

@Gabbynot.2654 said:raids was the worst thing put in to this game by anet. next to tying stuff to raids that should never been hooked to raids at all !!

i did not make my self clear enough i see so . let me try this . raids should and need to be removed from this game fully . and never put back into this game ever . you want to raid fine their is wow for it . and that is on top of the stuff anet tried to these foolish raids . like armor pieces and so forth . now i do hope i made my self much more clear on this topic so even you can get it . :# :# :#

You seem so hostile, you talk to people like they're beneath you - raids are a great way to keep players busy and entertained weekly - something that should definitely not be removed from the game.

1, 2 ,3 and 6 for me. Ive done some raiding and cleared a few, but man they are just too hard for me to want to do. Effort vs RNG reward was crap for me. I did enough to get some weapons, that I had to buy with shards while my teammates got them as drops. I think I got 1 ascended armor box , a few minis, and 1 time I got some ascended mats. Roughly 75% of the time my exotic reward was a piece of armor worth 50s. All they did was make dislike the game as a whole. They are so anti-everything I like about GW2. And I feel tying legendary armor to them was a huge mistake, but they did so fine. But if you are going to do that, why heck would require non-raid grind to complete them. That feels so stupid for raid exclusive armor that was a year too late. I cant help but wonder how many people left GW2 because of raids, I know some did because I almost did. My belief --> HoT metas were the raids we needed, HoT raids were the dungeons we needed

@DakotaCoty.5721 said:

You seem so hostile, you talk to people like they're beneath you - raids are a great way to keep players busy and entertained weekly - something that should definitely not be removed from the game.

not sure why it is you are trying to keep this going. at all and quoting me into some type of argument . i think i made my self very clear on this topic . raids must be removed from the game . maybe a mod will happen by this topic . :# :#

Archived