Legendary Relic does not get the new Relic unlocked

They did say that for future expansions you'd have to unlock the new Relics to use them.

Legendary Relics in Future Expansions

Legendary relics will work a bit differently than other legendary equipment, in that players will need to unlock new relic effects for future expansions in order to make use of them with their legendary relic.

-https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-relics-are-coming-soon/

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Yup, we were informed that's how it will work.

14 minutes ago, senftube.6081 said:

I got it because im a WvW Player and do not care about kittening PvE anymore and now you force me to do that kitten because for unlocking.

Aren't they in a JW gear box from JW reward track just like it was for soto ones?

Edited by Sobx.1758
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1

Makes sense though. You still have all the convenience feature. Just need to unlock it - otherwise I guess there might just be the veteran players to skip content (associated with unlocking a relic) and then complaining there is not enough content lol.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

20 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Still doesn't mean it's a good idea. Legendary lite is not really legendary.

Maybe, but that's not what is being discussed here. Title of the thread reads as if it's something we didn't know yet or maybe some sort of bug report. Contents of OP say he doesn't want to play PVE. Meanwhile it's not a revelation, it's not a bug and OP probably doesn't need to play pve to unlock those relics the same way he could unlock soto relics through the repeatable reward track.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

Honestly I had a long post expressing dislike of the idea of changing how legendaries work after launch when I realized that there have been changes made to legendaries in the past which have greatly expanded what we get for the "investment". The ability to have my legendary relic used by all characters on my account is still immensely better than the original implementation of legendaries where there would be only one Stat option and be used on only one character at a time.

So I might not be delighted with the change for relics going forward but I am not inclined to complain considering the vast increase in value and utility of legendary items provided at no additional cost.

Edited by Ashen.2907
  • Like 7
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Kitty.4806 said:

Cool. so my LEGENDARY relic isn't LEGENDARY anymore. It's just an armory for exotics that I have to unlock. SO. LAME.

Sure it is, you can swap it to anything you have unlocked, any time you're out of combat.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Still doesn't mean it's a good idea. Legendary lite is not really legendary.

It's actually a very good thing though. It means having legendary doesn't let you skip content.
I wish they had that idea back in HoT and we had to unlock all the prefixes for legendary gear.
An achievement for each prefix.

For the issue at hand in WvW, I would merely have a NPC sell cheap relics that are WvW-lock, meaning they only work in WvW.
You would still be able to ignore PvE entirely in WvW if you want to, without tarnishing PvE.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 7

They said right at the start when they first made the legendary relic that any new relics not already included would need to be unlocked somehow, either reward tracks or story I guess, its not news! So it might be annoying, but its not something they hid or didnt tell people about, all the way back in January it was already how it was going to be!

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_Relic

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/legendary-relics-are-coming-soon/?fbclid=IwY2xjawEyD9tleHRuA2FlbQIxMAABHShD2TyxBv7RCOet8Nn8YHNLpIDzggOP9PPUbo593gATaAnOi2qsU9hV0Q_aem_2_Jm7brIjPLTF7G6dWaFbw

Legendary Relics in Future Expansions

Legendary relics will work a bit differently than other legendary equipment, in that players will need to unlock new relic effects for future expansions in order to make use of them with their legendary relic. All other legendary equipment components like runes, armor, and weapons are automatically updated with new attribute combination choices as those combinations become available.

Edited by Rose.2593
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, Kulvar.1239 said:

It's actually a very good thing though. It means having legendary doesn't let you skip content.
I wish they had that idea back in HoT and we had to unlock all the prefixes for legendary gear.
An achievement for each prefix.

It's one thing if they did it originally, but changing how legendary gear works after 10 years of it working differently was not a good idea. Especially when it's coupled in them visibly trying to push new methods of introducing gear grind into the game that was built on the foundation of no gear grind.

It's also a change in gameplay design. Again, originally the whole game was the endgame. Meaning, you were supposed to be able to pick and choose which parts of the game interest you and which do not. There's a reason why for a long time story was pretty much optional. And why, even if entry on new maps is often locked behind story, there are also available some trivially easy ways to bypass that lock.

Now, recently they seem to be moving back from that original idea, with having actual mechanics locked behind story (and not initial chapter either). Weapon mastery, spears, relics... those are not things that should be restricted in this way.

Encroachment on Legendaries being a surety against possible meta changes is just a small piece of much bigger changes in game design. And you don't just push those kind of changes on the 10-year old established core principles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 6

2 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Now, recently they seem to be moving back from that original idea, with having actual mechanics locked behind story (and not initial chapter either). Weapon mastery, spears, relics... those are not things that should be restricted in this way.

They are not locked behind story. You can get them in WvW without having to play story. That’s what I did. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

It's one thing if they did it originally, but changing how legendary gear works after 10 years of it working differently was not a good idea. Especially when it's coupled in them visibly trying to push new methods of introducing gear grind into the game that was built on the foundation of no gear grind.

It's also a change in gameplay design. Again, originally the whole game was the endgame. Meaning, you were supposed to be able to pick and choose which parts of the game interest you and which do not. There's a reason why for a long time story was pretty much optional. And why, even if entry on new maps is often locked behind story, there are also available some trivially easy ways to bypass that lock.

Encroachment on Legendaries being a surety against possible meta changes is just a small piece of much bigger changes in game design. And you don't just push those kind of changes on the 10-year old established core principles.

This is vastly exaggerated.

First off, the "established" principle was not so established until the legendary changes and legendary armory, which are far more recent changes than 10 years.

These current changes are reactions and results of those former changes. Legendary items were never meant to be "get 1, have it on all your characters". In fact the original implementation did not even allow for proper stat selection and required sacrificing the legendary to a regular exotic with the correct stats.

Yes, the developers are reacting to how RECENT changes affect the game, and some of those adjustments might include increasing necessity to play the game.

For WvW players there still remains no need to PvE, given there are reward tracks which can unlock the relics and those reward tracks are WvW accessible. Topic creator seems to have forgotten to check one of the main reward mechanisms of his preferred game mode.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, yoni.7015 said:

They are not locked behind story. You can get them in WvW without having to play story. That’s what I did. 

Yeah, sure, WvW.

Remember, when they originally made elite specs, and it was designed so you were pretty much done with the initial story and exploration of the expansion before you unlocked it? Do you remember why it was so unpopular? And why they changed it to a much easier acquisition system, even though there was a WvW bypass available?

It's the same situation again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 6

4 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yeah, sure, WvW.

Remember, when they originally made elite specs, and it was designed so you were pretty much done with the initial story and exploration of the expansion before you unlocked it? Do you remember why it was so unpopular? And why they changed it to a much easier acquisition system, even though there was a WvW bypass available?

and they adjusted on that design after noticing that it did not work as they intended.

Almost as though they are now adjusting to their changes on legendary gear, which might have been designed a bit short sighted during a period where the game was in danger of being shut down.

There was no WvW bypass available on launch of elite specializations. That came later, and yes, that too was a rework of a design which needed to be done retroactively.

Edited by Cyninja.2954
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Yeah, sure, WvW.

Please explain how they are locked behind story if you can get them without playing the story. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3