Guild wars 3

22 minutes ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

ArenaNet has always been a 'sub-department' of NCSoft, being it is a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft since 2002.

It's different now. At that time Anet might have been wholly owned by NCSoft, but they still were a separate company, with its own management. Now, they are much more tightly bound into NCSoft structure, and are directly managed by NCSoft West (well, NC America as it is called now) staff. The reason why there's no Anet CEO anymore is because that function is fulfilled by NC America CEO, Songyee Yoon (in fact, there's basically no difference now between NC America and Anet - those are just two labels on the same thing)

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

44 pages of people discussing a game that might never get to see the light of day.

Why don't you wait for an official announcement before arguing about things that might never be?

If you see the bus you're in driving straight at the edge of a cliff, will you wait till after it actually goes over before you try to speak up about it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 5

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

44 pages of people discussing a game that might never get to see the light of day.

Why don't you wait for an official announcement before arguing about things that might never be?

ncsoft started this. what do you think players who like gw2 are going to do?

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

If you see the bus you're in driving straight at the edge of a cliff, will you wait till after it actually goes over before you try to speak up about it?

😂 Okay... if you look at it that way. 😉 

16 minutes ago, Chaos God.1639 said:

ncsoft started this. what do you think players who like gw2 are going to do?

Relax, maybe? 😄

• Like 3
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Ashantara.8731 said:

😂 Okay... if you look at it that way. 😉 

Relax, maybe? 😄

I think that sitting around drinking coffee, or another preferred beverage, while talking about video game hypotheticals is pretty relaxed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Ashen.2907 said:

I think that sitting around drinking coffee, or another preferred beverage, while talking about video game hypotheticals is pretty relaxed.

It's posting while enjoying that "preferred beverage" that often gets me in trouble with the mods. 🍻😆

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 2:32 PM, motoii.1835 said:

First of all, Gw2 generated a LOT of new players even though Gw1 was not that big of a name. It was known but not as known as Gw2 is known now. I understand that 2012 was a different time for mmos, but we still keep getting new mmos left and right and most of them are big misses. Gw3 would only escalate the number of new players cause Gw2 REALLY popularized the Guild Wars brand/franchise. I don't think it would have any problems with attracting masses again. It wouldn't be another 'Gw2 is coming and it's a wow killer!' type of a situation, but given how most MMOS rn are uninspired and lack longevity, Arenanet has a huge chance to provide MMO players with a fresh experience for sure. And Gw3 and Gw2 don't necessarily have to compete for a playerbase at all. There's so many players looking for an MMO for themselves and unable to find anything that would respect their time and provide the fun aspect of it, again, Gw2 did that once and it divided players but it was very successful nevertheless in terms of casual players. 

I think you're way off the mark here.

GW1 at its prime was one of the most played games on PC, not just within MMOs. There was a post recently on the GW1 subreddit, on Xfire back in 2007 GW1 was in the top 5 most played games by hours logged, only beaten by absolute juggernauts like WoW and Counter Strike.

GW2 was hyped precisely because the GW1 team was behind this "next gen" MMO.

While GW2 is great in its own right, the hype died fast and much of the GW1 audience was alienated. By now Anet fell from being WoW's biggest competitor to trying to keep up with ESO.

From a community and brand perspective I think GW2 did massive damage. Look where we are now, 12 years since GW2 got released and Anet is still coasting along on  GW1 nostalgia. Look at the content creators, 99% of the big ones are former GW1 players. GW2 failed on both world and community building while sliding the GW brand into obscurity, the game is hardly known outside the MMO bubble.

They are in a far worse position to launch GW3. Most of their old audience got alienated, the current one is all too aware that Anet sequels are no sequels, the GW name lost tons of recognition, MMOs are not a popular genre anymore, and all of the big names that put GW on the map are long gone.

Edited by Morvran.8265
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Morvran.8265 said:

I think you're way off the mark here.

GW1 at its prime was one of the most played games on PC, not just within MMOs. There was a post recently on the GW1 subreddit, on Xfire back in 2007 GW1 was in the top 5 most played games by hours logged, only beaten by absolute juggernauts like WoW and Counter Strike.

GW2 was hyped precisely because the GW1 team was behind this "next gen" MMO.

While GW2 is great in its own right, the hype died fast and much of the GW1 audience was alienated. By now Anet fell from being WoW's biggest competitor to trying to keep up with ESO.

From a community and brand perspective I think GW2 did massive damage. Look where we are now, 12 years since GW2 got released and Anet is still coasting along on  GW1 nostalgia. Look at the content creators, 99% of the big ones are former GW1 players. GW2 failed on both world and community building while sliding the GW brand into obscurity, the game is hardly known outside the MMO bubble.

They are in a far worse position to launch GW3. Most of their old audience got alienated, the current one is all too aware that Anet sequels are no sequels, the GW name lost tons of recognition, MMOs are not a popular genre anymore, and all of the big names that put GW on the map are long gone.

That is just so massively untrue... Especially the Gw1 to Gw2 comparison. Gw1 was such an obscure title on the market. The moment Gw2 was announced and some of the mechanics of it were revealed, it gained MASSIVE traction everywhere. They even had a proper trailer with actual actors and actresses for it. It garnered a lot of new players, the copies sold within the first months speak for themselves. The rest I can agree with but only because Gw2 is not a fun game to watch on streams since PvP is way too chaotic and one-dimensional and WvW is just unfun, hence why only the veterans stream nowadays for the people that actually care about the game.

As for the creators of Gw2. Noone outside of people who played Gw1 cared who made Gw2. They only cared that it was an MMO and had a very fresh for that time approach to the genre. Everyone was eager to play it. I remember so many youtube creators that didnt really play games all that often pick up the game because it was pushed and advertised everywhere. MMOs are still popular, not as popular as they once were but mostly because we have so many good titles rn that it's hard for any new mmo to compete with them and 'steal' or 'attract' their veterans to shift from one game to another. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

2 hours ago, motoii.1835 said:

That is just so massively untrue... Especially the Gw1 to Gw2 comparison. Gw1 was such an obscure title on the market. The moment Gw2 was announced and some of the mechanics of it were revealed, it gained MASSIVE traction everywhere. They even had a proper trailer with actual actors and actresses for it. It garnered a lot of new players, the copies sold within the first months speak for themselves.

Sure, it sold a lot of copies initially. Problem is what happened later. At launch there were around 3.5 mil players (all paid, there was no f2p yet). In a year that number dropped by half. And then it continued dropping, until HoT where it went up once again. It was also then when we last heard any mention on active players numbers data (after that Anet mentioned only total number of accounts, which is something very different). And thus we know, that in the very month HoT launched, the game barely managed to get back to around 1 million active players (with about half of them being f2p). Notice also, that the definition of "active" that was used then was "someone who logged in at least once during that month".

With how things are going, i would not be surprised to hear that GW2 now has even less active players than GW1 had when it got axed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

I dont see why people would be mad about GW3. As long as it was made well, I think it would be welcome. I would be happy to play a new guild wars that build on top of the old formula with modernized combat, better graphics and some new core mechanics.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Fipmip.7219 said:

I dont see why people would be mad about GW3.

Because the consequence of GW3 launch would be the fall of GW2. It may be a minor point for new players, but most of the GW2 players aren't new.

That's even if we do not consider how unlikely GW3 is to do even as good as GW2 (much less better) did in the today's market...

Edited by Astralporing.1957
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

5 hours ago, Astralporing.1957 said:

Because the consequence of GW3 launch would be the fall of GW2. It may be a minor point for new players, but most of the GW2 players aren't new.

That's even if we do not consider how unlikely GW3 is to do even as good as GW2 (much less better) did in the today's market...

i guess thats why the "second life" people that think they need to play gw2 constantly would be mad. but should you really cater to them every time you make an MMO? most people, the ones that just return for a month or two after each update, would be fine with GW3 because its functionally another update. As long as the game took all the best parts of GW2 and added onto them with its own unique mechanics, I'd say a successful product is well within the cards for arenanet.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6

1 hour ago, Fipmip.7219 said:

i guess thats why the "second life" people that think they need to play gw2 constantly would be mad. but should you really cater to them every time you make an MMO? most people, the ones that just return for a month or two after each update, would be fine with GW3 because its functionally another update. As long as the game took all the best parts of GW2 and added onto them with its own unique mechanics, I'd say a successful product is well within the cards for arenanet.

really??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8jiVTPusvA&t=98s

Now more than ever; more Guild Wars 2 players including myself, jumping ship to play Guild Wars (1) and playing other games (of course)

Why?

The success was not invested in making profits for shareholders but was invested in the players experience with releasing, continual balance patch updates and expansions, that resulted in optimizing the players experience in a healthy competitive way

Edited by Burnfall.9573
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

On 3/28/2024 at 12:25 PM, tzaeru.3742 said:

It's also difficult to do a significant graphics overhaul with the existing game.

There are other MMOs that don't look half as good as GW2 and are still successful, even more so, there are also much better looking MMOs than GW2 which aren't as successful, this idea that GW2 NEEDS a graphics overhaul is pure arm chair CEO energy.

GW2's codebase by now is prolly pretty hefty and hard to expand.

Yeah the hypothetical GW3 would be all new code, like GW2 was, nothing at all was brought from GW1. My sweet summer child, how I envy you.

You can, for example, give a fraction of the GW2 account value back for GW3, etc.

You'd get an armor skin and some title MAYBE. This one is funny because the exact same discussion was had from GW1 to 2 and we know what happened.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I was told to post on the official forms for guild wars 3 being for consoles. Can you please attempt to make guild wars 3 for consoles like playstation and xbox? The consoles have a larger player base slightly. Pc only has 5000 guild wars 2 players. Not everyone can buy a pc or afford one. I'd also love for monks and heros to return or the pvp styles.

• Confused 20
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Zerin.9834 said:

I was told to post on the official forms for guild wars 3 being for consoles. Can you please attempt to make guild wars 3 for consoles like playstation and xbox? The consoles have a larger player base slightly. Pc only has 5000 guild wars 2 players. Not everyone can buy a pc or afford one. I'd also love for monks and heros to return or the pvp styles.

Can you cite your claim that Guild Wars 2 has only 5000 players? Because I'm pretty sure it has more.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

How about I try to communicate this idea better?

It would be better for GW3 to aim to be multiplatform rather than a PC exclusive. MMOs such as FF14 and ESO show that there is a big market for MMOs on console (FF14 on PS4 for example is what got me into MMOs before building my first PC). I've heard people want WoW on Xbox too now that Activison-Blizzard is owned by Microsoft (FFXIV even just released on Xbox Series X/S a few months ago).

GW2's player count is probably fine as it as for the (possibly remaining) scope of the game. A potential GW3 however could benefit from cross platform play and progression like FFXIV (using one account across multiple platforms).

• Confused 3

3 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

Can you cite your claim that Guild Wars 2 has only 5000 players? Because I'm pretty sure it has more.

Probabely that is all steam has at the moment OP wrote their post discounting that gw2 had their own client for 10 years before released on steam.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skyztamer.4950 said:

It would be better for GW3 to aim to be multiplatform rather than a PC exclusive. MMOs such as FF14 and ESO show that there is a big market for MMOs on console...

So how big is that market? Any numbers published anywhere? Porting a game to other platforms isn't free, there has to be justification for it.

54 minutes ago, DeanBB.4268 said:

So how big is that market? Any numbers published anywhere? Porting a game to other platforms isn't free, there has to be justification for it.

Honestly not sure how reliable this source is (especially since it's a fandom wiki article, so take it with a huge grain of salt), but it's something. It also seems to combine platform sales but also has PC sales as "unknown" for the listings; which isn't ideal at all.

If anything though, the console support Square Enix has given for FFXIV should have been worth it all these years, considering how long they've supported the PS3 (about four years), PS4 (likely not for much not longer due to hardware limitations), and more recently PS5 and Xbox Series (should be fine for awhile since they're the current generation).

https://vgsales.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

I'm trying to have a reason to return to the game, but, knowing that Gw3 is in development, why someone would spend time farming legendary gear and end game stuff if everything will be left behind after some years?

Thanks for your time.

Edit: Why are people so salty on this question?

Edited by Peter.3901
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 11
  • Sad 1