Warclaw is underwhelming on anything other than a flat terrain

I was honestly hyped when the revamped warclaw was presented, especially the jumping fiesta it presented. But... I've had so many encounters where due to the lackluster initial jumping ability of the warclaw it gets stuck and burn its charges and I have to dismount and pick a different method, EVEN on small incline hills my character could traverse WITHOUT a mount.

Let that sink for a moment, my current main, a small Asura can run up a hill with minor earth protrudings, a 200-300 pounds raw muscle Bearkin with jumping ability gets exhausted and stalls on????

In the air, the warclaw feels a lot better, though everything feels very slow once you have air under your paws.

• Like 2
  • Confused 9

Honestly, the warclaw is the best thing to come out of this expac. The maps are fine...ish. The Kodan are at least less annoying and preachy than their shiverpeaks bretheran (although when I find who started handing out communicators to every bear I will flay them). The story is kinda meh. I'm just not that invested in it short of my blinding hatred towards anything Mursaat related (GW1 vets will understand).

Warclaws before the expac were slow and had no abilities outside of WvW, so using it was just to show off. Now they're quick, nimble, their mad hops give them incredible maneuverability and YES they can climb if you're creative enough. Warclaws are freakin amazing now and I find myself using it over my skyscale for anything short of a straight cliff.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3

My main issue with it is that when on the ground, both of its jumps appear to be completely horizontal, so it suffers from the same inability to clear a chest-high obstacle that plagues the jackal. I haven't quite figured out whether this is intentional, or an unintended side effect of the way the two skills interact with each other. The warclaw can get some height on a double-jump, if it doesn't simply stumble over its own feet and consume two bars of stamina while doing it. I kinda lean toward "bug."

Edited by Teknomancer.4895
typo, clarity
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, Solomon Darkfury.3729 said:

*me jumping from one cliff, over a river to another cliff at a higher elevation*

"Huh?!"

No no no you read it all wrong, you don't jump from the cliff, you try to jump up the cliff. Then what OP said is what I experienced too.

By now I don't even try with warclaw anymore and just straight switch to skyscale. Aside from the warclaw race in lowlands.

The warclaw needs a  really nice clean first jump to get into the air, once there, ascending little obstacles is doable. But trying close to the rock it's a pain and waste of warclaw energy.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 9/10/2024 at 7:44 PM, GreyishOne.2815 said:

EVEN on small incline hills my character could traverse WITHOUT a mount.

You need to use the simple jump for that, not the leap, then you will be able to easily hop over any such obstacles.

Edit for the confused person: SPACE BAR instead of MOUNT ABILITY 1 KEY. Not that hard to understand. 😉 Watch here:

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I'd like to mention something that some people might not have picked up on: if you wait to use the double jump until your warclaw's feet start glowing (there's even a sound effect) you'll get a higher jump. Had some guildies testing out a warclaw jp I was making and they didn't know about the glowing feet mechanic.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Teknomancer.4895 said:

My main issue with it is that when on the ground, both of its jumps appear to be completely horizontal, so it suffers from the same inability to clear a chest-high obstacle that plagues the jackal. I haven't quite figured out whether this is intentional, or an unintended side effect of the way the two skills interact with each other. The warclaw can get some height on a double-jump, if it doesn't simply stumble over its own feet and consume two bars of stamina while doing it. I kinda lean toward "bug."

Do you have the option to automatically do the mount action with the space bar? (It's on the mount category in the option)

Because your issue with the jackal not able to jump even a small height look clearly like it.

By the way, it's recommended to disable that option so you can also do normal jump with all the mount

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tula.6021 said:

No no no you read it all wrong, you don't jump from the cliff, you try to jump up the cliff. Then what OP said is what I experienced too.

You probably need Bond of Vigor to get up all but small cliffs, which is why so many have beehives at the bottom in the new maps. Also, BoV recovery is slower than you think, so it's best used after 1-2 jumps to maximise it, rather than when your endurance is already empty.

Personally, if I'm going for vertical jumps, I toggle walk on first which reduces your initial forward movement and allows for more precise landings to rest, but doesn't affect your speed once you're in the air. I also find that holding a strafe key while jumping seems to get a little extra height (and helps because trying to land side-on effectively gives you more hitbox to land with than head-on).

• Like 1

thats why you can warclaw horizontally as much as you can, be careful with terrain and gain the hop heights before you collide terrain, and hop some cliffs and such, bond of faith into skyscale when you are out of jumps and need to clear higher aerials, In general most mounts have navigational skill required, the skyscale frequently annoys me as it gets stuck clinging on random branch that I visually think I'm gonna clear or just heights not aligning and you are just shy of getting on top of something and are out of endurance for height boosts, the clunky awkwardness of terrain navigation happens on any mount, everyone is limited and flawed in some way and that's the beauty of it, there is no easy breezy way for everything 

10 hours ago, Gaiawolf.8261 said:

Also it can't swim. 😉 

Ever seen a warclaw drown?

I was in the water around wvw bay when a zerg jumped into the water, with their warclaws, to reach the other side. And it even has a dissolve animation which crept me out a little but was fascinating at the same time. (Esp with so many warclaws)

20 hours ago, sasya neko.1985 said:

except for the basic speed, it's just useless when comparing it to the jackal....

It's like Raptor, Jackal and Springer have a baby. -> Warclaw

Jackal has no vertical ascent.

Edited by Tula.6021
  • Haha 1

Having the same mount but different abilities in pve and wvw starts to get to me. I caught myself not dashing through yellow mobs in fear to get in combat mode -.-

At least I didn't jump of great heights and died like some others xD

The pve warclaw makes the wvw warclaw look even worse than it already is. Shows all its failings so prominently now when faced with what it could actually do, like jump (wvw warclaw can't jump, I refuse to call that jump, I jump higher without mount in wvw).

• Like 2

@GreyishOne.2815

Here's a quick recording to demonstrate that the Warclaw can indeed hop over obstacles and reach heights if you separate the normal jump (space bar) from the Mount Ability 1 keybind (in the case of the Warclaw, that's the leap which also auto-attacks anything in the way).

So, here's using only the space bar to jump:

Now, tell me again the Warclaw was "underwhelming" and can't get you over obstacles in the way. 😉 

Edited by Ashantara.8731
  • Confused 1