October 8 Balance Update Preview

Joie.6084

I would rather they take transfusion teleport and put it into Signet of Undeath.

Signet of Undeath: Pulls in downed allies, instantly reviving them. Give it a long cooldown like 5mins or so.
Transfusion: Makes your well of blood (and lesser well of blood) cleanse a condition on you per pulse, also makes your wells transfer conditions from allies to you.

While I agree that transfusion is too strong a support trait, it doesn't need to be removed.
Just make it so you can still salvage a run ONCE IN A WHILE instead of ALL THE TIME.
Also give Necros a more reliable source of stability, please.

I like the Thief Staff changes though. The forced movement on staff is cringe especially since other weapons don't lock you in an animation (D/D thief 3 still kinda does but that has an evade at least.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 5

On 9/20/2024 at 3:49 AM, willow.8209 said:

I would agree if the concern were based on forum speculation but it's not. It's based on reading Anet official communications. 

What official communication are you talking about exactly?

On 9/13/2024 at 9:34 PM, Joie.6084 said:

it's something that we may use going forward to tune other attribute combinations in WvW specifically.

Because that looks very much like a "maybe" to me ...

I have yet to see a reasonable patch to this game.

I'm wondering will they "balance" the amount of hacks to 0? That's a tumor in competitive game modes and NOTHING is done to address this. There are vids capturing GMs observing AFK farmers in PvE maps doing nothing to punish botters. We see teleporters, no-clippers, flying characters, perfect dodgers and macro-enthusiasts in WvW almost daily and nothing is done.

But the Gem Store is receiving updates. That's clearly more important than balance and eradicating cheating. For cheating, this game needs a good anti-cheat mechanism.

Willbenders... that stuff is downright disgusting, but Celestial stats were a problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who comes up with this nonsense in terms of balance?!

Edited by snh.7091
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, snh.7091 said:

I have yet to see a reasonable patch to this game.

I'm wondering will they "balance" the amount of hacks to 0? That's a tumor in competitive game modes and NOTHING is done to address this. There are vids capturing GMs observing AFK farmers in PvE maps doing nothing to punish botters. We see teleporters, no-clippers, flying characters, perfect dodgers and macro-enthusiasts in WvW almost daily and nothing is done.

Yeah unfortunatly that's true, but they can't put a team on it I suppose, just like they don't put a real team doing balance or a bugs fixed team and that's why we see nonsense. But it's okay to tell them. They could try doing so.

But the Gem Store is receiving updates. That's clearly more important than balance and eradicating cheating. For cheating, this game needs a good anti-cheat mechanism.

Yes and no.

Don't forget that GW2 is free to play in the first place, and when you have your extensions you don't need to pay anything and can brought in the Gem store with in game gold. A little like Warframe for example. They are the only games i see do that.

In Wow you have a month's subscription... as a lot of other MMO in fact, or "pay to win" too. GW2 is not, so this is nice.

I considerer that they need this money to get running, I don't mind it. I like to play this game I would be sad it shut down because no money from it. It will happen, MMO aren't the most games played these days. So i want to delay it.

So yes they have a team for money to get the game running, yeah go on.

An anti-cheating would be complicated for them to code, they aren't good on that sorry ^^ It would be a nightmare I think. Ok maybe i wasn't nice there but honestly with all the bugs, well fix that first.

Willbenders... that stuff is downright disgusting, but Celestial stats were a problem 🤷🏻‍♂️ Who comes up with this nonsense in terms of balance?!

That I totally can agree on ! And again, easy way to get through problems that seems to be what this balance patch is for.

Edited by Hikaru.6704
  • Confused 4

can we reduce the casting time of core necro shroud skill one please? it's lagging behind the other shroud 1 skills by quite a lot. i know it has a longer ranger than the one on harbinger but it does less damage and goes very slow. can we have the casting time at 1/2 a second?

• Thanks 2

Regarding the Extirpation removal, has anyone actually found this mechanic to be strong?  I've always found my extirpation stacks blocking random Might stacks in competitive modes and have barely any effect at all on fights.  I'd say the mechanic needs a buff, not removal.  If it's getting replaced with Weakness because even that is more effect than nothing, perhaps consider making it a non-stacking duration-based debuff that either limits/prevents boon application (like Winds of Disenchantment) or suppresses boons (like Resistance does to non-damaging conditions).

On Transfusion, has ANet considered just reducing the pull range in competitive modes?  I can't see it being anywhere near as strong with a 300 radius pull in WvW.  Cutting the radius in half quarters the area it covers.

Edited by Drarnor Kunoram.5180
  • Thanks 4

On 9/18/2024 at 2:50 PM, willow.8209 said:

not by itself, no,. Marauder has sustain. So yes, I'm aware that in WvW sustain is a thing for both power and condi. But what burst damage is meant to do and what DOT is meant to do are still different from each other, in any video game. 

I quoted what you said and what I said in my previous post, which is why marauder is relevant.

If that's unclear please be more specific what's unclear.

Personally I think the WvW meta has been mostly burst power for so long that some players forgot DOT is a thing, and struggle to adjust when the meta shifts.

Sure, if you have great attention, dexterity, vision, reaction times, etc. If you don't, then you need a work-aroud, and passive sustain helps a lot for that. This is what I have been saying from the beginning. 

I also think that players should get toughness, power, ferocity, vitality, condition damage and expertise buffs directly related to the ping they have so that I can log in over WiFi on Mount Fuji and be absolutely unstoppable too. I'm glad that we both agree that the more skilled of us should be punished for getting good so people like me can eat a burger with one hand, tab through and mouse click my skills to victory. (P.S. this was a joke)

I play with higher ping just by nature of where I am physically. I hope that you can agree to also bake the above advantages in for me so that I too can be competitive despite my obvious disadvantages that are not my fault. You could also give me a 5 stat Marauder with toughness too, that would also keep me happy.

9 hours ago, Captain Crapface.7528 said:

brother, even Battle Standard doesn't have 5 min cooldown.

30s would already make the thing much less broken, than current version of transfusion.

Obviously, 5 mins is just an arbitrary number I wrote out.

The point is.. transfusion doesn't need to be removed. You just make it so you can't chain transfusion. Either you keep it the same but add a debuff to a teleported player that says "This player cannot be teleported again" with a duration of 30s or 60s or whatever number that's balanced, or just make it so transfusion has that internal cooldown or move it to signet of undeath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, Vox.2017 said:

Obviously, 5 mins is just an arbitrary number I wrote out.

The point is.. transfusion doesn't need to be removed. You just make it so you can't chain transfusion. Either you keep it the same but add a debuff to a teleported player that says "This player cannot be teleported again" with a duration of 30s or 60s or whatever number that's balanced, or just make it so transfusion has that internal cooldown or move it to signet of undeath.

or just put that same utility on Gharish Pillar...
It would be the same just on smaller Aoe, and wouldn't lead to idiocies like Power Harbs and Condi Reapers running it in PvP for God knows what reason.

• Like 2

Real glad for Warriors that they're getting 4% of all strike damage to healing (as opposed to just crits) with an off-hand dagger and Sun and Moon Style (a Master trait), but what about Thief having to take a Grandmaster trait, Invigorating Precision, to still only get 4% of critical damage to healing, and at best 6% with fury?

Seems a bit unfair by comparison.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for these previews 🙂 

Just wondering about revenant's retribution spec : thanks for the little improvement, but am i the only one thinking it would need some big rework? Even the name doesn't really fit since retaliation became resolution. As it's most about passive unappealing bonuses (like the invocation traits about breakstun) i feel like Victimization would be appropriate 😝. I tried hard in PvP but i can't find any way to use it properly, and i always find more useful specs in PvE whatever my character's role.

Also offensive elitespec could use this spec to balance their build without making it uneffective. I mean how many actual revenant builds use retribution spec? How many people play core revenant? There is no room for them actually in the game.

Edited by minimoi.8195
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, itspomf.9523 said:

Real glad for Warriors that they're getting 4% of all strike damage to healing (as opposed to just crits) with an off-hand dagger and Sun and Moon Style (a Master trait), but what about Thief having to take a Grandmaster trait, Invigorating Precision, to still only get 4% of critical damage to healing, and at best 6% with fury?

Seems a bit unfair by comparison.

its like were stuck with old school nerfs and getting miniscule buffs/adjustments, meanwhile everyone is being modernized.

i think ill just sit on my porch and tell these kids to get off my lawn at this point xD

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2024 at 1:53 PM, Kulvar.1239 said:

I wouldn't be pissed as much about class balance in GW2 if I could switch class like in FF14.
Even if it costed 464 hero points to unlock that capability on a character I would take it.

This... is the most mind-boggling comment I've ever seen on the GW2 forums. It takes like half an hour to get all the Hero points necessary for a new elite spec, just get on another toon and go get the HPs. And if alts are what you have a problem with, I'm left truly stumped why you even like this game. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Mithral.8516 said:

This... is the most mind-boggling comment I've ever seen on the GW2 forums. It takes like half an hour to get all the Hero points necessary for a new elite spec, just get on another toon and go get the HPs. And if alts are what you have a problem with, I'm left truly stumped why you even like this game. 

You didn't read the following messages. Here they are:

On 9/19/2024 at 10:24 PM, Herrscher.2986 said:

You do realize what MMO you're playing, no? You do realize you're playing the most alt friendly MMORPG I've seen? It doesn't take much to gear up a character in full Ascended, let alone just Exotics. Getting the Hero Points for other specs only takes an HP train each.

On 9/19/2024 at 10:53 PM, Kulvar.1239 said:

Good for people who like alts. I'm sure they love that about GW2. My best friend have more than 40 characters and she loves it
But myself, I hate having alts and will not play alts, it make me lose interest in playing.

And you implying that the only thing pleasing about GW2 is making alts and nothing else is insulting to the game, ArenaNet, and the players.

Edited by Kulvar.1239
  • Confused 3

On 9/21/2024 at 5:10 PM, Mithral.8516 said:

Just to also point out, If you want to unlock bag slots, equipment tabs, and build tabs on an alt, it will run you 8,900 Gems which is a little over $110. Sure, you can mitigate the cost a bit with the Wizard's Vault on occasion, but if those things matter to you, then at least in that aspect, this game is not friendly at all when it comes to making alts.

Edit: Someone saw some basic math in a post and became instantly confused. lol.

Edited by Shaogin.2679
  • Like 2
  • Confused 3

On 9/13/2024 at 1:34 PM, Joie.6084 said:

Extirpate: This skill no longer inflicts Extirpation and instead inflicts weakness.

This is a little annoying considering it was one of the nice new shiny things we got on spear that made it unique. 

On 9/13/2024 at 1:34 PM, Joie.6084 said:

Transfusion: This trait no longer teleports downed allies to the user. This trait no longer increases the cooldown of Garish Pillar in WvW.

I actually do not have a huge issue with this, so long as it is promptly followed up by buffs in other areas of Necro support. We've had quite a bit of nerfs to our other revive options due to Transfusion's existence. Well of Blood through Ritual of Life was nerfed from 7% revive per pulse to 2%. Garish Pillar reduces the revive pulse of Transfusion from 2% to 1%. And our signet is the worst instant revive in the game, having a 75 second cooldown, costing 9,606 health, and causes us to lose out on Life Force generation for the duration. Other instant revive tools either have lower cooldowns or other beneficial effects tacked on to them. Now sure, with Transfusion teleporting players to you, these nerfs to our other revive potential can be justified. But if you are going to nerf Transfusion, one of the only things that makes the Heal Scourge stand out amongst the other powerhouse alacrity healers, then please let us know that you at least have plans in place to potentially compensate Necromancers for this nerf in some other way. 

Also, some support classes could really use some love in PvP and WvW (not Guardian). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

I understand the warrior spear damage needed to come down a bit, but can you please consider some QoL changes to compensate for the September nerf?

Spear swipe was amazing with unblockable and now it's a horrible short-range projectile that gets blocked or reflected easily; if its a projectile (that can be reflected) please give it 900 range or make it a melee attack, so it can't be reflected, only blocked.  

Also, given that the spear has 3 skills (including burst) that require skill/timing to land, can the caste times be decreased or can the radius of skill 3 (only) be increased slightly? Trying to hit with this skill in a duel is almost a hail mary pass unless you already cc them to land it.

Edited by MrZapples.6043
  • Thanks 2