If warrior's spear was bloated, what's guard's spear? 💀

Zekent.3652

Heal, more boons on boon heavy class, CC, mobility, cleave, burst, heal on auto, dmg boost, 4s weakness spam + 5 seconds resolution on a skill with 2 charges and just 8 seconds cooldown, and condi cleanse.

Yeah, not a bloated weapon.

What could go wrong? not like people is spamming willbender in the new game mode, right? not like WvW willbender was strong anyways.

Edited by Zekent.3652
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 14
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Zekent.3652 said:

Heal, more boons on boon heavy class, CC, mobility, cleave, burst, heal on auto, dmg boost, 4s weakness spam + 5 seconds resolution on a skill with 2 charges and just 8 seconds cooldown, and condi cleanse.

What could go wrong? not like people is spamming willbender in the new game mode, right? not like WvW willbender was strong anyways.

Willbender is overperforming beyond any expectation?

Better nerf Bladesworn to fix the issue.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

If they could at least admit that they have professions preferences.

Like "Guardian and Necro are the main core professions of our game, because of their unique identity that only them can fulfill". So we reserve them a special treatment in every patch.

Meanwhile there are specs like Bladesworn in pvp or wvw (maybe even pve not sure) that are completely forgotten and in their current state even a dang core engi is by far a better pick than them. Ok warrior has spellbreaker and berserker, but it starting to get boring imo.

But yeah spear warrior with single target damage for the most part was a big deal, more than an aoe spear with double the damage and utility it provides... ok then.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Terrorhuz.4695 said:

bruh 💀

You know how this goes.  💀🥃

You've been here long enough. 

Remember I keep saying people don't have object permanence?  That same lack comes back to bite you if you can't assess it. 

Edited by Azure The Heartless.3261
  • Confused 2

45 minutes ago, Azure The Heartless.3261 said:

You know how this goes.  💀🥃

You've been here long enough. 

Remember I keep saying people don't have object permanence?  That same lack comes back to bite you if you can't assess it. 

"Well, well well, if it isnt the consequences of my actions."

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Zekent.3652 said:

I think much like in the case of spear + spellbreaker or hammer + vindi people are conflating overperforming specs and weapons. 

Is the issue that guard spear is overperforming and needs to be nerfed affecting all guard builds? Or is the issue that willbender with high boon uptime and nearly unparalleled mobility on short cd make it strong? 

I think the fact that spear does healing, condi cleanse and great damage is a bit overturned and not inline with how weapons have been balanced in the past. Simple fix would be leave the damage and drop the heal / condi cleanse. It’s no more powerful than greatsword or hammer on guard. 

If you think willbender is overperforming then the focus should be on the low cd mobility. They are also carried by boons but hard to nerf that without affecting every other guard build since it’s coming from virtues and radiance 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, HardStuckBronze.2439 said:

I think much like in the case of spear + spellbreaker or hammer + vindi people are conflating overperforming specs and weapons. 

Is the issue that guard spear is overperforming and needs to be nerfed affecting all guard builds? Or is the issue that willbender with high boon uptime and nearly unparalleled mobility on short cd make it strong? 

I think the fact that spear does healing, condi cleanse and great damage is a bit overturned and not inline with how weapons have been balanced in the past. Simple fix would be leave the damage and drop the heal / condi cleanse. It’s no more powerful than greatsword or hammer on guard. 

If you think willbender is overperforming then the focus should be on the low cd mobility. They are also carried by boons but hard to nerf that without affecting every other guard build since it’s coming from virtues and radiance 

It might be the combination of both. Willbender wasn't overperforming in sPvP before spear was released and spear doesn't overperform on other guardian specs. But spear has pushed Willbender over the edge, so now the combination is overperforming. Personally I think it would be healthier for the game to go after Willbender and leave spear alone. But I don't think it's quite as easy as saying it's either one or the other.

Edited by ascii.1369
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

14 minutes ago, ascii.1369 said:

It might be the combination of both. Willbender wasn't overperforming in sPvP before spear was released and spear doesn't overperform on other guardian specs. But spear has pushed Willbender over the edge, so now the combination is overperforming. Personally I think it would be healthier for the game to go after Willbender and leave spear alone. But I don't think it's quite as easy as saying it's either one or the other.

Willbender was 100% overperforming before spear.

Spear is also super strong on Dragonhunter.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 2

41 minutes ago, WingSwipe.3084 said:

Willbender was 100% overperforming before spear.

Spear is also super strong on Dragonhunter.

Yup. Lost count how many times I stated there were 20 WB for every 1 vindi/de/untamed, from g1 to p1. The gaslighting in this playerbase might be the best I have ever seen. Warrior is hard to play, virt is glass, thief is risky, only noobs die to WB, etc.

I do find the WB one particularly funny. 20x WB per 1 vindi/de/untamed while stating only noobs die to WB, suggests the game is full of noobs, apart from WBs ofc 😜  😜  😜 

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You want a hot fix for guard builds in general -> take away the 3 second invuln from renewed focus (can make it a stun break to make up for it) and require that the channel must be completed in order to refresh all virtues. Still a powerful skill but would require some actual thought to use. 

No more willbenders porting in blowing all the cds going invuln when they get in trouble then just spamming virtues to escape. 

No more DH with 5 second block, into invuln into another 5 second block. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Hotride.2187 said:

No idea what you're talking about. What? 6 guards and necros average every conquest game for years? No no, there were a few months without that.

At this point its obvious that things aren't going to change with the current balance and dev team, its a bad joke wrapped in pure nepotism and incompetence.

Anyone who stays better just strap in for the ride of a guard and necro meta for the rest of the year, balance preview has made that glaringly obvious.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, ascii.1369 said:

Personally I think it would be healthier for the game to go after Willbender and leave spear alone. But I don't think it's quite as easy as saying it's either one or the other.

Or we could just buff underperformed spears such as engi. I'm seeing plat Scrapper/Holo players roll Mech because they're tired of having the most deaths on a team.

1 hour ago, HardStuckBronze.2439 said:

You want a hot fix for guard builds in general -> take away the 3 second invuln from renewed focus (can make it a stun break to make up for it) and require that the channel must be completed in order to refresh all virtues. Still a powerful skill but would require some actual thought to use. 

No more willbenders porting in blowing all the cds going invuln when they get in trouble then just spamming virtues to escape. 

No more DH with 5 second block, into invuln into another 5 second block. 

This won't do anything to WB's who already run FMW (such as myself). I haven't used RF in 5 seasons.

You can remove Spear boons or the healing aspect, or the cleanse on it, but people will still get melted by Spears damage. And if you nerf spear's damage then what's the point of using spear at all?

Shortbow rev/power chrono/power mirage, will just replace that damage that spear guard brings. I don't even see monthly winners run WB in PUSH but that could just be class preferences.

Edited by Saiyan.1704
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, ascii.1369 said:

Genuine question, where are these numbers from? Not disputing them, just curious.

From playing around 3-400 games per season, on and off peak, on a spec and at a skill level where I rise and fall like the tides. You get to see a good cross section of skill levels and spec representation overall. It is anecdotal ofc, but the lowest skill floor/risk specs at X performance (in this case WB) will see more representation across ranks than the higher skill floor or riskier specs, even if they are meta. That trend has held true across seasons, and all that changes is the specs.

On of my biggest gripes, and something I keep pointing out, is that high skill floor/risky specs are already at low representation. There are now multiple options for specs that are low skill floor and/or low risk (like virt), which are, imo, too effective for the risk levels. There is less and less reward for playing risky or difficult builds.. and the only conclusion that can be drawn, is that GW2 is now casual crept.

Edited by Flowki.7194
  • Confused 1