Red Steamed Dumplings

Vavume.8065

@Astralporing.1957 said:Notice, that he's opening them at 948% MF, which is higher than most players will have. By far.

Actually, I DID notice that. And wondered just how in the HECK he got his magic find so high. If my own personal luck driven MF was maxed, that's what, about 350? I can see ways to get that up to about 600 or so pretty easily... but 900 ++ ... WOW.

And it bears notice that even WITH 948%, which SHOULD mean that he has a NINE AND A HALF TIMES better chance to get a given drop than someone who just opens an envelope, he STILL doesn't get the requisite 500 red dumplings. He gets, in fact, about 490 or so?10000 envelopes opened for 490 successful results means that there is a 4.9 percent chance of getting a dumpling.... No, WAIT, gotta figure in the magic find... which means that there should be an unmodified chance of 0.5 percent to get a dumpling. OUCH!For the non math inclined, this means that if your magic find is about 200, then you should get a dumpling every 500 Divine envelopes. That's ONE dumpling for TWO seasons worth of envelopes. ANet is out of CONTROL.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@thehipone.6812 said:They should make cooking recipes for all of these LNY foods and let the market sort itself out. The market has equilibrated given current conditions, but the video of the 10k envelopes yielding less than 500 dumplings suggests that the supply is pretty tight. With recipes, at least people could farm and bring more supply to meet demand.

Example:Dumpling Filling - 1 cabbage, 1 red meat, 1 starch, 1 dumpling seasoningDumpling Seasoning - 1 salt, 1 ginger, 1 Rice wine, 1 green onionsRed Coloring - 1 milling basin, 1 Strawberry, 1 Raspberry, 1 milling stoneSteamed Red Dumpling - 1 Ball of Dough, 1 Dumpling Filling, 1 Bottle of Sesame Ginger Sauce, 1 Red coloring

The recipe is probably in the 10-15 silver range with current prices, and is just an example. But it would sink some materials that are in low demand, have a few things in there that are not completely trivial (garlic, sesame, raspberries), and give people some option to make more supply other than just buy off TP.

This is an EXTEMELY COOL and neat idea. B R A V O. I LIKE IT. Make crafting USEFUL and needed! And make crafting an actual source of CASH for once!

@Nightshade.5924 said:

@"thehipone.6812" said:They should make cooking recipes for all of these LNY foods and let the market sort itself out. The market has equilibrated given current conditions, but the video of the 10k envelopes yielding less than 500 dumplings suggests that the supply is pretty tight. With recipes, at least people could farm and bring more supply to meet demand.

Example:Dumpling Filling - 1 cabbage, 1 red meat, 1 starch, 1 dumpling seasoningDumpling Seasoning - 1 salt, 1 ginger, 1 Rice wine, 1 green onionsRed Coloring - 1 milling basin, 1 Strawberry, 1 Raspberry, 1 milling stoneSteamed Red Dumpling - 1 Ball of Dough, 1 Dumpling Filling, 1 Bottle of Sesame Ginger Sauce, 1 Red coloring

The recipe is probably in the 10-15 silver range with current prices, and is just an example. But it would sink some materials that are in low demand, have a few things in there that are not completely trivial (garlic, sesame, raspberries), and give people some option to make more supply other than just buy off TP.

This is an EXTEMELY COOL and neat idea. B R A V O. I LIKE IT. Make crafting USEFUL and needed! And make crafting an actual source of CASH for once!

That's too convenient and possibly might be somewhat too much fun. It's probably too hard to change now, because 5% of all players was able to buy the achievement by now, their investment would be for nought. Can't change it anyway because we need to wait 3 weeks for the price to balance out so that then the economy can be calculated and definitely doesn't "break". Or whatever other reason there could be really. Sometimes I feel the economy of items is more important than I dunno, the actual entertainment value of playing the game.

Not to mention the whole, let's use a food item with a decent price to begin with, and anyone who may have liked this food item would be just out of luck. It's now an achievement bound food, and don't you dare actually use it for consumption!

Price of the dumplings has more than doubled. I checked a couple days ago, and a full stack of 250 steamed red dumplings would have cost about 209 gold. I checked today, and a full stack would cost me 411 gold. And people say the price will go down as time passes.

Welp. That's one achievement I'll be skipping. I don't have the 800+ gold to buy this crap from the exchange.

Must say the festival is not fun. The main activity is dragon ball but I don't like pvp at all. I have played this festival twice in the last three years but I never saw this food at all. Maybe because I gave up early after I checked the AP and ignored them, so I never got enough envelopes to get it.

@Aina.2165 said:Must say the festival is not fun. The main activity is dragon ball but I don't like pvp at all. I have played this festival twice in the last three years but I never saw this food at all. Maybe because I gave up early after I checked the AP and ignored them, so I never got enough envelopes to get it.

I tried this Dragon Ball thing, but it's only one tiny arena and not much variety in movement/mobility you get with your character. A few pads and speed gears, that's it. You don't even have to aim ^^

I played Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament a lot back in the day. Now, why would I want to enter that Dragon Ball arena? If I got nostalgic, I would start up those games, I'm pretty sure they are still played online by thousands of players, like AoE II.

I might play that mini-game if there were nice rewards. I farmed that JP on Wintersday and it made me a lot of gold. As far as I know you only get untradeable envelopes as reward, and seeing what they contain, I rather do other stuff.

I think I'll skip this festivity. BTW, since this is made like Chinese New Year, the envelopes should contain gifts, no Zonks.

@Faaris.8013 said:

@Aina.2165 said:Must say the festival is not fun. The main activity is dragon ball but I don't like pvp at all. I have played this festival twice in the last three years but I never saw this food at all. Maybe because I gave up early after I checked the AP and ignored them, so I never got enough envelopes to get it.

I tried this Dragon Ball thing, but it's only one tiny arena and not much variety in movement/mobility you get with your character. A few pads and speed gears, that's it. You don't even have to aim ^^

I played Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament a lot back in the day. Now, why would I want to enter that Dragon Ball arena? If I got nostalgic, I would start up those games, I'm pretty sure they are still played online by thousands of players, like AoE II.

I might play that mini-game if there were nice rewards. I farmed that JP on Wintersday and it made me a lot of gold. As far as I know you only get untradeable envelopes as reward, and seeing what they contain, I rather do other stuff.

I think I'll skip this festivity. BTW, since this is made like Chinese New Year, the envelopes should contain gifts, no Zonks.

It also suffers from the usual holiday PvP game ... lack of matchmaking. At least Dragon Ball was typically not as bad as the Wintersday thing but hey've made some changes this year and I haven't tried it yet.

Well I always try to get all the achievements so every year I had to play a lot of dragon ball to do the ap.This year dragon ball doesn't give ap so I dont even try it, its not really fun when you are in a bad team that doesn't stick together..Overall this year festival left a very bad taste in my mouth because of the dumplings ap, ruined the whole thing for me

@SleepyGamer.5748 said:you cant really blame anet for this one...the people to blame are the idiots that pay this ridiculous price for them on the tpthat said they do have an insanely low drop rate

Yup, we can blame Anet as they designed this mess. With supplies of red dumplings so absurdly low, prices have now risen to 1g 60s on our TP - but with only around 500 in total available!

With the drop rate so low (around 1 or 2 per account max per day it seems) we'll either need 12 or so years to grind the 25 AP - or deeper and deeper pockets.

@SleepyGamer.5748 said:you cant really blame anet for this one...the people to blame are the idiots that pay this ridiculous price for them on the tpthat said they do have an insanely low drop rate

Players are responsible for the demand but ANet is responsible for the supply.

Some basic sanity check should be applied when creating this sort of achievement. If a person wanted to complete this solely on their own without relying the TP it will require CENTURIES. Obviously many people will complete it sooner but that is a very unreasonable baseline. Something like 5 years would be more reasonable. It's like nothing was learned from the mistaken with the WvW achievements(where the original requirements would have required at least 10 people playing the game as a full time job for decades to complete for some of them).

@Khisanth.2948 said:

Some basic sanity check should be applied when creating this sort of achievement. If a person wanted to complete this solely on their own without relying the TP it will require
CENTURIES
. Obviously many people will complete it sooner but that is a very unreasonable baseline. Something like 5 years would be more reasonable. It's like nothing was learned from the mistaken with the WvW achievements(where the original requirements would have required at least 10 people playing the game as a full time job for decades to complete for some of them).

If someone wanted to make a car completely from scratch, on their own, it would take years. Just self teaching how to mine the iron, and finding ore rich land from which to do so could take a lifetime. Then again it isn't meant for one to complete solely on one's own without relying on the market...

@Ashen.2907 said:

Some basic sanity check should be applied when creating this sort of achievement. If a person wanted to complete this solely on their own without relying the TP it will require
CENTURIES
. Obviously many people will complete it sooner but that is a very unreasonable baseline. Something like 5 years would be more reasonable. It's like nothing was learned from the mistaken with the WvW achievements(where the original requirements would have required at least 10 people playing the game as a full time job for decades to complete for some of them).

If someone wanted to make a car completely from scratch, on their own, it would take years. Just self teaching how to mine the iron, and finding ore rich land from which to do so could take a lifetime. Then again it isn't meant for one to complete solely on one's own without relying on the market...

As currently designed, it isn't meant for anyone to complete ever. The entire supply was only enough for a handful of players to get the achievement and it has all dried up. The rate at which new supply is generated means that even if you use the market only 20-30 players PER YEAR will ever be able to complete it (and that assumes that they face no competition at all and are able to buy all of the supply each year).

Someone clearly did something VERY wrong at ArenaNet, either by picking the wrong food or by setting a decimal point several places to the wrong side.

@Ashen.2907 said:

@"SleepyGamer.5748" said:you cant really blame anet for this one...the people to blame are the idiots that pay this ridiculous price for them on the tpthat said they do have an insanely low drop rate

CENTURIES

Does it? https://www.youtube.com/user/theCodyReeder this guy doesn't look very old and he seems to do a lot of that sort of stuff. So a lifetime to learn is not necessary. You seem to have ignored the fact that this is involving centuries of time ...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"SleepyGamer.5748" said:you cant really blame anet for this one...the people to blame are the idiots that pay this ridiculous price for them on the tpthat said they do have an insanely low drop rate

CENTURIES

Does it?
this guy doesn't look very old and he seems to do a lot of that sort of stuff. So a lifetime to learn is not necessary. You seem to have ignored the fact that this is involving centuries of time ...

He is using tools that he, most likely bought, in order to mine and/or refine small quantities of material. How long did it take him to save up the money to buy the land with sufficient iron ore deposits to produce the quantities needed for an automobile. Where is his facility for converting iron into steel? How long did it take him to build the facility capable of producing the steel? Where is his source of rubber for the tires. How long did it take him to save up the money to buy the land upon which he would then grow the rubber trees? Safety glass, computer components, etc, etc, etc. All starting from scratch. It might take him a lifetime to build the tools needed to build the tools needed to produce a modern automobile...and of course the time needed to produce the funds used to buy the resource rich land.

Centuries is irrelevant because anything beyond 60 years or so (assuming that one started as an adult) is beyond one person's lifespan. What you seem to be ignoring is the fact that if it would take centuries to do solo, without using the TP, then it is, by definition, not intended for one person to do solo without using the TP.

@Ashen.2907 said:

CENTURIES

Does it?
this guy doesn't look very old and he seems to do a lot of that sort of stuff. So a lifetime to learn is not necessary. You seem to have ignored the fact that this is involving centuries of time ...

He is using tools that he, most likely bought, in order to mine and/or refine small quantities of material. How long did it take him to save up the money to buy the land with sufficient iron ore deposits to produce the quantities needed for an automobile. Where is his facility for converting iron into steel? How long did it take him to build the facility capable of producing the steel? Where is his source of rubber for the tires. How long did it take him to save up the money to buy the land upon which he would then grow the rubber trees? Safety glass, computer components, etc, etc, etc. All starting from scratch. It might take him a lifetime to build the tools needed to build the tools needed to produce a modern automobile...and of course the time needed to produce the funds used to buy the resource rich land.

Centuries is irrelevant because anything beyond 60 years or so (assuming that one started as an adult) is beyond one person's lifespan. What you seem to be ignoring is the fact that if it would take centuries to do solo, without using the TP, then it is, by definition, not intended for one person to do solo without using the TP.

Don't you think it's a bit disturbing that you need to resort to such nonsense to make sense out of this dumpling fiasco?

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

CENTURIES

Does it?

Don't you think it's a bit disturbing that you need to resort to such nonsense to make sense out of this dumpling fiasco?

Also building a car is the same as eating a dumpling :p

Mmmm giant delicious xiao long baos ... (no idea why ANet feels the need to add extra food coloring)

@Khisanth.2948 said:

CENTURIES

Does it?

The real issue here is regardless of time, this particular achievement was poorly (at best) set up, especially in light of the previous two drooburt quests. ANYONE who spent a few days doing the WD or Halloween festivals could EASILY complete those. This lunacy however, is what can only be considered as a blatant punch in the face to most players.

ONLY the most hardcore, diehard, WEALTHY players will be able to get it. Consider the video earlier in this thread. 10,000 Divine envelopes. At 16 per day for 16? days that's 256 envelopes for a year. So that player burned FORTY PLAYERS WORTH OF DIVINE ENVELOPES, and he STILL DID NOT GET 500 DUMPLINGS. So regardless of money etc, given the availability of dumplings due to the highly skewed uber crazy low drop rate, ONLY ONE IN FORTY PLAYERS CAN GET THIS ACHIEVEMENT FOR ANY GIVEN YEAR.

BAD FORM, ARENA NET. BAD FORM.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

CENTURIES

Does it?

What are you talking about?

Someone commented about getting the dumplings without using the TP when, clearly, one is expected to use it. I pointed such out, and used an example.

Personally I think that this design is distasteful and so I am not pursuing it. AP that are simply bought on the TP go against the concept of achievement (IMO).

@"Ze Dos Cavalos.6132" said:I hope anet is reading this discussion at least, is only getting harder to get the dumplings.Even if they do something about the drop rate or add a crafting recipe they have to do it soon, the festival only last for 2 weeks and 1 is almost gone.

Is it getting harder? According to GW2Spidy the demand (volume of buy orders) has stayed about the same since Thursday, the price has dropped slightly since then and since this morning the supply (number of sell orders) appears to be increasing slightly.

And like an idiot I predicted this would happen, then managed to list the one I got on Friday night at what appears to have been the absolute peak sale price. Guess I'll be pulling that down and relisting it.

@Ashen.2907 said:

CENTURIES

Does it?

What are you talking about?

Someone commented about getting the dumplings without using the TP when, clearly, one is expected to use it. I pointed such out, and used an example.

Personally I think that this design is distasteful and so I am not pursuing it. AP that are simply bought on the TP go against the concept of achievement (IMO).

The trading post should be a way to get things done faster by paying coin. Not the only way to get something done before it's over. And you can say "well, there's next year" but just from drops you can't put a dent on the achievement. The drop rate of red buns is so low, and there's so few sources of red envelopes that are also slow, that the numbers required only make sense if the item required wasn't the red dumpling, but the friend dumpling, or if there was a vendor trading the other festival foods for red dumplings. And even then it would still take ages without using the trading post.

And using the trading post should never be the only viable way to get something done within a reasonable amount of time. Humans live only a few years.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@"Ze Dos Cavalos.6132" said:I hope anet is reading this discussion at least, is only getting harder to get the dumplings.Even if they do something about the drop rate or add a crafting recipe they have to do it soon, the festival only last for 2 weeks and 1 is almost gone.

Is it getting harder? According to
the demand (volume of buy orders) has stayed about the same since Thursday, the price has dropped slightly since then and since this morning the supply (number of sell orders) appears to be increasing slightly.

And like an idiot I predicted this would happen, then managed to list the one I got on Friday night at what appears to have been the absolute peak sale price. Guess I'll be pulling that down and relisting it.

When I say harder I mean time is running out, yeah most likely they will stay around this price.If anet does something about the dumplings they have to do soon so the market can adjust before the festival finish, so the closer we are to the end of the festival the harder will be to finish, by farming or buying from tp...

Archived