Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

I tried to run the game on an Intel HD laptop today. Disabling DXVK didn't help, tried with WineD3D and I've even tried Gallium Nine.

From what I can tell so far, it seems to run mostly on some build of Proton-GE and it doesn't work for everyone.

Considering there's also those lighting issues, I'll wait till the dust settles for now, with the hope that a future patch will bring things to normal again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

Well, I got crashes as soon as the login popped up until I tried lutris with lutris-ge-proton7-22. Which seems to work fine so far.  Incl. Trading Post. Did Golem M2 without trouble.

opensuse tumbleweed, amd card, etc pp.

It looks like Proton7-22 was just added, as the latest runner available to me yesterday was 7-20.  However, the game still crashes for me on this version with the same error:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(375)

The only thing that helps is still disabling DXVK entirely.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

I have resolved the steam issue.

So if there is a windows "Updating Gw2..." and nothing more.

After a fresh install of steam, before using the  add a non-steam game, install a steam game that need proton (he isn't installed/ready yet and isn't installed by the non-steam fonction) .

But it doesn't resolve guild wars 2.

With the installed gw2 (and proton experimental) I have the error:

*--> Crash <--*
Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2554)
App: Gw2-64.exe

Ok and with proton 7.0 It's WORKING

no isssues for now, black lion tc is ok.

Edited by Thyfealor.1972

For now, to be able to game at all, I've installed Lutris and followed what Ranjeliq (at the Reddit thread) did;

1. Switched to lutris-GE-proton7-22 and disabled DXVK. That way launcher was able to update, but game crashed when I launched it.
  2. Enabled DXVK back and launched GW2 again.

(to be exact, my wine version for running the game is lutris-GE-Proton7-22-x86_64)

I've experienced the weird 'ultra light/ultra shadow-situation on camera angle change', but it seems to be at particular places and perhaps limited to in-game night-time. Not certain on that.

And unlike Ranjeliq, my game does crash with 'coherent GPU process' error at times, but I haven't figured if there's a particular trigger, or even if it's tied to client runtime. 

NVIDIA [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB] + Intel i7, running Linux Mint Ulyssa. 

• Like 1

Currently I have worked around by adding the GW2 exe from the standalone install to Steam as a non steam game and forced compatibility with GE-Proton7-26

I have as of yet, beyond the text not looking as nice in the launcher and the black Lion shop, I have not noticed any glaring problems but I could just be tolerant of what others class as bugs.

20 minutes ago, VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig. said:

coherent has always been a pain in back end. Even a decade ago when I was playing WoT, coherent was the one and only thing that caused problems.

I hate it so much and wish that anet just ditches it tbh.

They actually seem to've added it to even more game components in this update. I imagine they plan to switch to it entirely for their UI in the long-run, given the current way of things.

I was able to get around the coherent UI error for now by switching from lutris-GE-Proton7-21-x86_64 to lutris-gw2-6.14-3-x86_64. Pretty significant drop in FPS, but at least dxvk-async still seems to be working with that setup.

Edit: I also had to run a repair to fix a different error with a missing file.

Edited by Sapphiria.5643

On 7/20/2022 at 2:55 AM, Electric.1743 said:

Setup:

Kernel: 5.15.55-1-MANJARO

GPU: GTX960

Driver: nvidia-470.129.06-1

Installed GW2 via: Lutris

Currently DXVK breaks the whole thing.

Disabling it and forcing dx9 (via -dx9 ) allows the game to "run". Performance is definitely lacking tho.

With DXVK no wine version (default lutris-fshack-7.2.-x86_64 tried GE-proton-7-20 and 7-21 as well) works.

Every one of them crashes even before the login screen. (always: "Assertion: Coherent GPU process crashed
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Arena\Engine\ArenaWeb\CoherentUi\AwCohContext.cpp(375)" )

Different DXVK versions also don't seem to matter.

So not just AMDs (my nvidia is ooold tho).

Update:
I was able to run GuildWars2 via Steam Proton.

Proton Experimental did the trick (be sure to download it first by trying to launch another windows-only game, i used realm of the mad god).

Performance is maybe slightly worse than with Lutris before coherent killed it, but much better than dx9 and definitely usable.

Whats interesting is that for me, 1) The game starts without DXVK and runs fine on WineD3D9, albeit with a lower FPS, and 2) I installed d912pxy just to see if it would start and run on VKD3D (a DirectX12 to Vulkan layer), and it does, although unplayable due to graphics glitches.

I further tested if I could use d912pxy+VKD3D+vkBasalt and that all works too. So as long as I'm on 7.2-2 or Proton7-22 it runs as long as DXVK isn't involved. Its not the child window rendering issue because apparently that's already fixed in Protonised versions of Wine.

Debian testing, AMD RX570, 8GB VRAM

I wonder if the d912pxy glitches on VKD3D are possible to fix, too.

Edited by Mariyuuna.6508

7 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Whats interesting is that for me, 1) The game starts without DXVK and runs fine on WineD3D9, albeit with a lower FPS, and 2) I installed d912pxy just to see if it would start and run on VKD3D (a DirectX12 to Vulkan layer), and it does, although unplayable due to graphics glitches.

I further tested if I could use d912pxy+VKD3D+vkBasalt and that all works too. So as long as I'm on 7.2-2 or Proton7-22 it runs as long as DXVK isn't involved. Its not the child window rendering issue because apparently that's already fixed in Protonised versions of Wine.

I wonder if the d912pxy glitches on VKD3D are possible to fix, too.

Unless CoherentUI needs dx12 calls now, too? I had a problem once that WoW kept crashing on me.  I added vkd3d, and it immediately stopped crashing, even though I was playing it with dx11.  The menus required dx12 support.

7 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Hi, since you're also on AMD... can you check your Wine console output when trying to run the game with DXVK if you see something along the lines of "01e8:err:vulkan:wine_vkCreateInstance Failed to load physical devices, res=5"?

I have the feeling that there is a separate bug at play from what's already been discussed, that seems to come up only with the AMD Mesa drivers.

Okay, this might be a long shot, but maybe it helps someone else too. After deleting all log files in my Guild Wars 2 directory, the game now works under Proton.

All I did was running rm *.log before doing some testing, and suddenly things started working.

Nevermind, I actually figured it out... I was doing some other cleanup as well, and the problem is indeed linked to 32-bit libraries. You need to have 32-bit vulkan libraries working, otherwise the game won't launch.

Edited by Kelytha.6832

I'm not sure if this falls into the change random thing and suddenly it works category or if I have found and fixed my problem. And I don't dare to experiment any further. 😅

I had the AwCohContext.cpp(375)  / GPU process crashed error in the launcher. Further investigation and an internet search suggested I might be missing the 32 bit vulkan libs. I installed lib32-vulkan-radeon, restarted lutris and could play.

Didn't expect the 64 bit GW2 client, or any software in 2022, to depend on 32bit libs. I think it's the Coherent UI Host thingy that needs it.

My current, now running, config is: Arch Linux, Radeon card with open source drivers, Lutris, wine lutris-7.2.2-x86_64, DXVK v1.10.2.

I did have two crashes, though. The first time the game just closed. No error dialog, nothing. Just *poof* and gone. At the second crash my whole desktop froze. I have a suspicion what caused this one, and if I'm right it had nothing to do with the game.

Edited by Killerassel.2197

1 hour ago, Killerassel.2197 said:

I'm not sure if this falls into the change random thing and suddenly it works category or if I have found and fixed my problem. And I don't dare to experiment any further. 😅

I had the AwCohContext.cpp(375)  / GPU process crashed error in the launcher. Further investigation and an internet search suggested I might be missing the 32 bit vulkan libs. I installed lib32-vulkan-radeon, restarted lutris and could play.

Didn't expect the 64 bit GW2 client, or any software in 2022, to depend on 32bit libs. I think it's the Coherent UI Host thingy that needs it.

My current, now running, config is: Arch Linux, Radeon card with open source drivers, Lutris, wine lutris-7.2.2-x86_64, DXVK v1.10.2.

I did have two crashes, though. The first time the game just closed. No error dialog, nothing. Just *poof* and gone. At the second crash my whole desktop froze. I have a suspicion what caused this one, and if I'm right it had nothing to do with the game.

Note that the "AwCohContext.cpp" error is just a generic one that means "something happened with CoherintUI". The actual error is displayed elsewhere in the log.

Has anyone solved the "Browser crashed" issue? 

Assertion: Launcher: Browser crashed 
File: D:\Perforce\Live\NAEU\v2\Code\Gw2\Game\Launcher\LauncherCoherent.cpp(2554)

Lutris won't load for me, and I haven't been able to get Steam to run it as a non-steam game yet. I've tried changing several of the settings mentioned here and on Reddit, and nothing has worked.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050

Linux Mint 20.3 Una Cinnamon

Edit: I was able to get Steam to start the GW2 download by following previous instructions to load a different Windows game first. 

Edited by astrlNyrri.6017

I can get the game to load okay using GE Proton 7.26 as long as I have mods disabled. However, if I turn them on, I'm getting this from the gw2radial.log file (this is the only mod I run).

[05:33:40.3271132|INF] This is GW2Radial v2.2.1 (0abc260b056d7f40837b45048ef50ac201ad2f98)
[05:33:40.4431007|INF] Config folder is now 'Z:\home\synthawk\Games\Non-VR\GW2\data\drive_c\GW2\addons\gw2radial'.
[05:33:40.5694694|ERR] Compilation failed: 0x80004001
[05:33:40.5695403|ERR] Compilation errors:
ScreenQuad.hlsl:16:11: E5017: Aborting due to not yet implemented feature: Struct store rhs is not HLSL_IR_LOAD. Broadcast may be missing.
ScreenQuad.hlsl:16:11: E5017: Aborting due to not yet implemented feature: Struct store rhs is not HLSL_IR_LOAD. Broadcast may be missing.

Not sure how helpful it will be to report this on the github itself, since the mod doesn't have issues to my knowledge in Windows and this is something new since the update.

Performance with GE Proton 7.26 is significantly worse than pre-patch using the normal play.sh script. I assume this is because of all the variables set, such as WINEFSYNC and RADV_PERFTEST=aco, but if I enable those it goes back to breaking during the launcher again.

As for my setup, AMD CPU with AMD graphics card. Ryzen 7 2700X with an Radeon RX 6900 XT. Running on Garuda.

5 hours ago, Mariyuuna.6508 said:

Note that the "AwCohContext.cpp" error is just a generic one that means "something happened with CoherintUI". The actual error is displayed elsewhere in the log.

That is true. The error message is not helpful at all. The error message at the end of the log shown by the GW2 crash handler was pretty generic, too. The term I have searched was somewhere in the wine debug output, which I had to enable first. Sorry, I don't remember exactly what it was, but it had something to do with some surface that couldn't be created.

Anyway, I figured I should post my findings. If the missing lib was the cause of my problem, it may be helpful to other players who may not have it installed either. At least worth a try.

1 hour ago, SirBaldyLocks.7814 said:

whether it is on custom Wine

You mean you tried manually installing the game in it's own prefix without going through Lutris or Steam?

Because that's the only thing that worked for me, after trying all suggestions to no avail.

Updated wine-staging to 7.13 for dependencies, then I used this wine: https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom (it works outside Lutris) to install and launch the game after installing dxvk (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/tag/v1.10.2) into the custom prefix (with the "--with-d3d10" option, it was crashing without).

It still crashes every now and then when accessing TP or switching characters, and there are glitches (same problems on Windows from what I've read so far), but it's mostly playable.

Edited by Niagara.2715