Super Adventure Box Tribulation Mode W-1 Z-2 why is it so hard ?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@HazyDaisy.4107 said:I wanted the Trib boombox, it took me a few hours but I beat zone 1, the next day I tried zone 2, got to the place you speak of and spent about 5 hours there, I made it across 3 times and died shortly after each time. They say it can be done quite easily, and I was patient, but my patience has limits, I began to think about what was ahead of that area and logged out.

:(

@Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136 said:

@TexZero.7910 said:You dont need Taco and its only hard if you're unware of the pitfalls and traps.

Just keep playing it until you understand the pattern and it becomes a lot easier.

I think i have died 300 times already and i do understand it but i just cant get past it :( Its to hard. I never really like this festival this is the first year i tried to do it and this is beyond me at this point. I might as well count my losses at this point or pay someone else to do it for me. but ty for the advise

If it helps, I had similar issues at that point. Just remember, you only have to get past it once and get to the next checkpoint.

@Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136 said:maybe they should have made 2 paths here.... 1 that's is a little easier but takes a little longer to do and keep the part I'm stuck on as a easy path for others who can jump the darn rocks

Well, they did make multiple paths: Infantile, Normal, and Tribulation mode. Tribulation mode is a throwback to the early days of gaming, where the video arcade monetization model had a heavy influence. These games were intentionally designed to be punishingly difficult. They knew casual players wouldn't pump quarters into these machines all day long no matter what you did. However, the die-hard gamers would.

Take for example one of my favorite games from back in the NES/arcade era: Battle Toads. The game was silly, with floaty controls and hilarious animations. However, it was also quite remarkably difficult to advance through - especially since they only gave you a few lives and many of the challenges were pass/fail instant deaths that you could only overcome with practice.

An example of this would be the numerous side-scrolling vehicle levels (speeder bikes, jets, surfboards, some sort of crazy ball with a handle on a track, etc.). There is just no way you're going to get through these levels on 3 lives without practice. Lots and lots of practice. And in an arcade, that means spending lots and lots of money, too! Gotcha!

The thing is those types of gamers still exist, and tribulation mode has huge nostalgia factor for us. It looks and feels like old school platforming, and the invisible traps and technical jumps that require a lot of trial and error to learn are straight out of those earlier days of gaming. Personally, I love it! My only complaint about SAB is that I've done pretty much everything there is to do in it and they aren't likely to develop more!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136 said:maybe they should have made 2 paths here.... 1 that's is a little easier but takes a little longer to do and keep the part I'm stuck on as a easy path for others who can jump the darn rocks

Well, they did make multiple paths: Infantile, Normal, and Tribulation mode. Tribulation mode is a throwback to the early days of gaming, where the video arcade monetization model had a heavy influence. These games were intentionally designed to be punishingly difficult. They knew casual players wouldn't pump quarters into these machines all day long no matter what you did. However, the die-hard gamers would.

Take for example one of my favorite games from back in the NES/arcade era: Battle Toads. The game was silly, with floaty controls and hilarious animations. However, it was also quite remarkably difficult to advance through - especially since they only gave you a few lives and many of the challenges were pass/fail instant deaths that you could only overcome with practice.

An example of this would be the numerous side-scrolling vehicle levels (speeder bikes, jets, surfboards, some sort of crazy ball with a handle on a track, etc.). There is just no way you're going to get through these levels on 3 lives without practice. Lots and lots of practice. And in an arcade, that means spending lots and lots of money, too! Gotcha!

The thing is those types of gamers still exist, and tribulation mode has huge nostalgia factor for us. It looks and feels like old school platforming, and the invisible traps and technical jumps that require a lot of trial and error to learn are straight out of those earlier days of gaming. Personally, I love it! My only complaint about SAB is that I've done pretty much everything there is to do in it and they aren't likely to develop more!

I am from that era I played all of those game's and many more. My father has 2 old computers from those days and puts his grand kids up to the challenge of playing jump man, Frogger, Donkey Kong ect. he has all the old game we used to play as a child, he loved the science of the new technological of the 80s and he stayed up to date on it all and that's his life time hobby and he still does it today :). I am sure they will come out with more for us to do in SaB its still not finished.

But i need to add this we all payed on the same device and it was a equal opportunity to get through those game on a joy stick hahaha was one of the early ways to play those games. today's options are endless and not all equal for all they players that have different ways to play the game, Because of my Dyslexia i have a hard time trying to play the way my sons do, they get all flustered when trying to play a game on my computer because of my settings and I don't blame them I am backwards on almost everything I do . but to each his own on how he plays the game :)

@Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136 said:

I am from that era I played all of those game's and many more. My father has 2 old computers from those days and puts his grand kids up to the challenge of playing jump man, Frogger, Donkey Kong ect. he has all the old game we used to play as a child, he loved the science of the new technological of the 80s and he stayed up to date on it all and that's his life time hobby and he still does it today :). I am sure they will come out with more for us to do in SaB its still not finished.

We can dream! Seeing W3 and W4 would be a beautiful thing!

@"Rhapsody Dragonfly.5136" said:I found another video without the the stone I'm gonna try it and hope it works.

LoL That's funny. I never knew you could go around that side and bypass the lava lake!

I'm not sure but I think this was fixed - I had used this path on a regular basis last year, skipping the lava part using the checkpoint boost.

This year, when I tried it, I triggered a trap right there around the roots of the tree after the check point. But I only ran TM twice this year, since I finished my TM collections last year and there are no new achievements or anything related to TM. So it's quite possible I was just slightly off with my jumps in those 2 runs and there is still a way to skip it...

What I can recommend to the OP, in case the shortcut above was fixed:Maybe you can find someone who is good at TM and triggers the jumping rocks for you. I did that for a few friends this and last year. If your timing is right you just need to jump over the rocks normally (but hurrying), following close behind the first player who triggered the knock back rocks for you. You need to stay close behind the first player, but not too close so you don't get hit by the knock back rocks.

I brought a friend through that portion of the jumping. Basically I trigger the jumping rock while my friend stayed far enough back not to be hit. I would be hit and then they would jump while the rock was on cool-down. While doing trib with friends tends to be harder, for some sections it does help a little.

Eh, I'm not a fan of Tribulation Mode myself, and haven't bothered to complete it in the few years it has existed. It's not just a case of being hard (I don't mind challenging content in itself), it's a case of being unfair. The mode expects you to find a path through the worlds via a process of trial and error, as opposed to skill. You die, die, and die again until you discern the correct route, which isn't my idea of fun.

Sure, you could watch guides and learn it that way, but to me that kinda defeats the point. It's basically GW2's version of "Unfair Mario", and while some people might enjoy that, I am not one of them. I would have preferred it if they gave some visual clues for what path you're meant to take, even if they are subtle, but that isn't the case.

That being said, I also wouldn't ask ANet to change it. It is what it is, whether you love or hate it, and changing it now would undermine the effort that some players have already put into it, even if the change is something as simple as putting in easier alternative routes for players who can't pass certain obstacles. To me, it's somewhat inconsequential regardless. There are only a few odd achievements tied to Tribulation mode, and no exclusive rewards or titles from what I recall, so it's no real loss if you don't manage to complete it. It's simply a case of deciding whether or not it's a task you're willing to undertake purely for the satisfaction of completing it, and if the answer is yes, then you'll have to bear with the pain that comes with the process.

@"Tenrai Senshi.2017" said:

t's somewhat inconsequential regardless. There are only a few odd achievTribulation mode, and no exclusive rewards or titles from what I recall, so it's no real loss if you don't manage to complete it. It's simply a case of deciding whether or not it's a task you're willing to undertake purely for the satisfaction of completing it, and if the answer is yes, then you'll have to bear with the pain that comes with the process.

There's a furniture shop you can only get in w1 trib mode (Hot Hot Hot), which is part of the overall achievement for ..i think a green backpack and "applied jumping" title.

But I think the trib achieves themselves only offer AP.

@Taygus.4571 said:

@"Tenrai Senshi.2017" said:

t's somewhat inconsequential regardless. There are only a few odd achievTribulation mode, and no exclusive rewards or titles from what I recall, so it's no real loss if you don't manage to complete it. It's simply a case of deciding whether or not it's a task you're willing to undertake purely for the satisfaction of completing it, and if the answer is yes, then you'll have to bear with the pain that comes with the process.

There's a furniture shop you can only get in w1 trib mode (Hot Hot Hot), which is part of the overall achievement for ..i think a green backpack and "applied jumping" title.

But I think the trib achieves themselves only offer AP.

You don't need the Master of Decor Achievements to finish Distinction/Honors in Applied Jumping though.You get 25AP per World you complete in Tribulation mode. That’s it.OP. I’ve tried and tried and tried my way through Tribs the last few days, and finished both worlds, having never done tribulation before at all. It’s a lot of trial and error and finding what mechanics suit how you play.

@"Tenrai Senshi.2017" said:Eh, I'm not a fan of Tribulation Mode myself, and haven't bothered to complete it in the few years it has existed. It's not just a case of being hard (I don't mind challenging content in itself), it's a case of being unfair. The mode expects you to find a path through the worlds via a process of trial and error, as opposed to skill. You die, die, and die again until you discern the correct route, which isn't my idea of fun.

Sure, you could watch guides and learn it that way, but to me that kinda defeats the point. It's basically GW2's version of "Unfair Mario", and while some people might enjoy that, I am not one of them. I would have preferred it if they gave some visual clues for what path you're meant to take, even if they are subtle, but that isn't the case.

That being said, I also wouldn't ask ANet to change it. It is what it is, whether you love or hate it, and changing it now would undermine the effort that some players have already put into it, even if the change is something as simple as putting in easier alternative routes for players who can't pass certain obstacles. To me, it's somewhat inconsequential regardless. There are only a few odd achievements tied to Tribulation mode, and no exclusive rewards or titles from what I recall, so it's no real loss if you don't manage to complete it. It's simply a case of deciding whether or not it's a task you're willing to undertake purely for the satisfaction of completing it, and if the answer is yes, then you'll have to bear with the pain that comes with the process.

It's both, really. Trial and error to feel out the trap locations, but some degree of skill as well for the technical/precision jumping required. The lava pool the OP is having issues with is a perfect example. The trap in this case is pretty obvious. But for most players it will take some practice to figure this part out. Much of tribulation mode is that way, and it isn't something most players will find enjoyable. That's generally how hard modes go in games!

@"Tenrai Senshi.2017" said:Eh, I'm not a fan of Tribulation Mode myself, and haven't bothered to complete it in the few years it has existed. It's not just a case of being hard (I don't mind challenging content in itself), it's a case of being unfair. The mode expects you to find a path through the worlds via a process of trial and error, as opposed to skill. You die, die, and die again until you discern the correct route, which isn't my idea of fun.

It's both, really. Trial and error to feel out the trap locations, but some degree of skill as well for the technical/precision jumping required. The lava pool the OP is having issues with is a perfect example. The trap in this case is pretty obvious. But for most players it will take some practice to figure this part out. Much of tribulation mode is that way, and it isn't something most players will find enjoyable. That's generally how hard modes go in games!

Yes, it is a bit of both, but it's the trial and error part that puts me off. If the content demands precision and skill (a good comparison is the Clock Tower), then that's fine by me, because, as I said, I don't mind difficulty in and of itself. But I do mind artificial difficulty created through unfair mechanics, such as hidden obstacles with no real visual clues as to their location. Also, I wouldn't say that this is a good example of how hard modes are in general these days. Platformers in particular would usually put more emphasis on timing, rhythm and reaction speed than on a hidden path/trap mechanic in order to introduce difficulty.

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Eh, I'm not a fan of Tribulation Mode myself, and haven't bothered to complete it in the few years it has existed. It's not just a case of being hard (I don't mind challenging content in itself), it's a case of being unfair. The mode expects you to find a path through the worlds via a process of trial and error, as opposed to skill. You die, die, and die again until you discern the correct route, which isn't my idea of fun.

Yes, it is a bit of both, but it's the trial and error part that puts me off. If the content demands precision and skill (a good comparison is the Clock Tower), then that's fine by me, because, as I said, I don't mind difficulty in and of itself. But I do mind artificial difficulty created through unfair mechanics, such as hidden obstacles with no real visual clues as to their location. Also, I wouldn't say that this is a good example of how hard modes are in general these days. Platformers in particular would usually put more emphasis on timing, rhythm and reaction speed than on a hidden path/trap mechanic in order to introduce difficulty.

Clocktower is trivially easy. I'm sorry if Tribulation mode is too hard for you, but there is very little trial and error involved once you figure out the traps. There is, in fact, a fair bit of rhythm to many of the levels, and you're frequently required to move in time to the environment or creature attacks. After clearing each level 16 times for the infusions, I had all but w2z2 on a reliable farm (and videos too, but there are plenty better ones on YT). You just need to practice, or watch a guide.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:If you think w1z2 is hard, wait till you see w2z2. It's, ooh, about a 15 minute clear if you are speed running. The best I ever got on w2z2 was down to a single death, it's just faaaar too long of a map and SO MANY ways to die. W1 in general is about twice as easy as W2... So have fun while it lasts :P

Isn't W2Z3 much longer even, I'm doing W2Z1 and W2Z2 trib for all the weapons this year leaving W2Z3 for next year. For W2Z2 I got it down to 20 minutes but the two times I did W2Z3 It at leats took me an hour, I know it can be faster, but by no means do I believe I (emphasis on me) can do it nowhere near in 20 minutes.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:

@Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:Eh, I'm not a fan of Tribulation Mode myself, and haven't bothered to complete it in the few years it has existed. It's not just a case of being hard (I don't mind challenging content in itself), it's a case of being unfair. The mode expects you to find a path through the worlds via a process of trial and error, as opposed to skill. You die, die, and die again until you discern the correct route, which isn't my idea of fun.

Clocktower is trivially easy. I'm sorry if Tribulation mode is too hard for you, but there is very little trial and error involved once you figure out the traps. There is, in fact, a fair bit of
rhythm
to many of the levels, and you're frequently required to move in time to the environment or creature attacks. After clearing each level 16 times for the infusions, I had all but w2z2 on a reliable farm (and videos too, but there are plenty better ones on YT). You just need to practice, or watch a guide.

Sorry, but I'm not a fan of it when people make assumptions and then take what other people say out of context. I never said Tribulation mode was "too hard" for me, in fact you won't find those words anywhere in either of my comments on this thread. I just said I don't enjoy the way it implements artificial difficulty through a trial and error based mechanic. Whether I can complete it is irrelevant, in light of the fact that I actually have no desire to play it in the first place, and not because it's hard, but because I don't enjoy that kind of content (that being said, I did do W1Z1 a few times to help my guildies farm for guild decorations).

Also, you mention that there's very little trial and error once you've figured out the traps... well that's a given already. The trial and error part exists during the process where you're trying to figure out where all the traps are. If I had to liken it to something, I'd say it's like minesweeper, but without any number clues to guide your progress.

@Lelongue.1320 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:If you think w1z2 is hard, wait till you see w2z2. It's, ooh, about a 15 minute clear if you are
speed running
. The best I ever got on w2z2 was down to a single death, it's just faaaar too long of a map and SO MANY ways to die. W1 in general is about twice as easy as W2... So have fun while it lasts :P

Isn't W2Z3 much longer even, I'm doing W2Z1 and W2Z2 trib for all the weapons this year leaving W2Z3 for next year. For W2Z2 I got it down to 20 minutes but the two times I did W2Z3 It at leats took me an hour, I know it can be faster, but by no means do I believe I (emphasis on me) can do it nowhere near in 20 minutes.

I found it to be slightly faster when not including the boss fight, which adds an inescapable couple of minutes to the end. It is however a lot more pleasant than z2, with a more consistent difficulty and relatively fewer moments that require pixel perfect jumps. I found having to duke the trib cloud in the middle of z2 extremely infuriating, I died at least once to it on every single run I did. Z3 has a few similar moments, but you don't get cornered by the buggers in quite the same way. Also no assassins. Holy hell.

Archived