Longbow is NOT 1500 Range

CantoGuy.6459

@Dralor.3701 said:No offense to the people there as I know it’s a fine line of balancing time and being careful what you say in writing but...

Have they ever been good at responding to questions on the forums?

When they have time they seem to. But as long as people keep replying to this thread then it will stay near the top of the forum with a higher chance of a browsing Dev to see it.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@CantoGuy.6459 said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Some of you have not been paying attention to the fact that these arcing arrows have been traveling farther since beta and launch...

Comment from 2014...

“Muscly_Geek• Mar 24, 2014, 2:21 PMYou prompted me to take a closer look. I can't find the Dev post that explained it, but essentially all arcing projectiles have a longer valid range than listed, in the sense that the projectile will hit instead of an Out Of Range error.

The projectile actually travels father than 1500 even if you're standing at 1500, due to the arc. If the projectile was only valid for 1500 (or with a slight increase to account for the arc when your target is at the same altitude), there would be instances where a target within range would nonetheless result in an Out Of Range error.

It's not so much a bug (as in an unintended error in the code), as a deliberate mechanic to accommodate the physics of the projectile, which results in a beneficial effect. It's been around since Beta, people are very aware of it, and ANet has given no indication that they intend to change it.”

@Swagger.1459 said:

@CantoGuy.6459 said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Some of you have not been paying attention to the fact that these arcing arrows have been traveling farther since beta and launch...

Comment from 2014...

“Muscly_Geek• Mar 24, 2014, 2:21 PMYou prompted me to take a closer look. I can't find the Dev post that explained it, but essentially all arcing projectiles have a longer valid range than listed, in the sense that the projectile will hit instead of an Out Of Range error.

The projectile actually travels father than 1500 even if you're standing at 1500, due to the arc. If the projectile was only valid for 1500 (or with a slight increase to account for the arc when your target is at the same altitude), there would be instances where a target within range would nonetheless result in an Out Of Range error.

It's not so much a bug (as in an unintended error in the code), as a deliberate mechanic to accommodate the physics of the projectile, which results in a beneficial effect. It's been around since Beta, people are very aware of it, and ANet has given no indication that they intend to change it.”

Dude... Honestly, Thanks for taking the time to dig around to find that answer :)I got to the point (as I assume others as well) of just waiting for a dev to reply... but I still hope one does just for the cherry on top of it all.

@CantoGuy.6459 said:

@"snake.6051" said:The max hit range is about 2000 distance but the autotargeting stops at 1500 so you will get hit if you stay still or run in a straight line.As a ranger if you use action camera you can aim youre arrows to actually hit targets at verry long range but it requires high skill cos you need to aim and lead youre targets just like fireing a sniper rifle in a fps only a little harder.Things like these actually make the game more cool and add needed depth.

Action camera? If the guy in this video who is firing a longbow auto from over 2000 range is using action camera then they wouldn't be able to move their mouse cursor...which they clearly do in the video

This is the kind of dumb videos most noobs who don't want to l2p use as an example. Note the elevation? How often do you get hit from a ranger from way above your head? On equal level it hits 1500 and it's not that much of a deal as most classes can easily gap close. True necros have it harder but wtf? Do you expect to have an invincible class? Everyone has its weaknesses and strengths. You are way overemphasizing the strength of a ranger's longbow what about its weaknesses? It can't do shit AoE damage. And when you look at what necros are good at, it's the ability to dish out those insane AoE in a zerg fight. A necro's total DPS in a zerg fight is ALWAYS at the top, way above the others. And rangers are arguably a necro's only counter, and you want to take away that extra range the sole thing a ranger with longbow is good at? you might as well delete the class.

I'm also going to paste in here something I have posted before.Bows do shoot farther, this has been known since Beta. It benefits from height as well, allowing a longbow ranger to shoot 2k range. It has nothing to do with the skins.

I know pistols, and I believe rifles, have a hard cutoff, if you will, at their skill range. This too has been behavior seen since at least Beta.

There is a 15% buffer (#17. I wasn't going to bother to search for it, but only took a minute. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/bugs/List-of-Mesmer-Bugs-Older-Thread/page/3#post3750901 ) on range of skills that was meant to make melee smoother, it requires the target to have been within range first, then you get the slight buffer that is on top of extra distance allowed for arrows. It wasn't readily observed on pistol skills at all even if it's there, because bullet projectiles don't get the extra distance arrows do.

It is stupid for something over 2k direct distance away to be hitting you with arrows, but they can and do. Based on estimate using thief sb5 and shadowstep range markers to calculate range, and known position of a longbow ranger having shot and hit me at, calculated the distance from the ranger to my character to have been 2200+, which again, this has actually been known.

Also, you may want to look at the comments at https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/7n83db/ranger_long_bow_vs_deadeye_rifle_range_tests/ for more detailed clarification on it from players.

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:By the same logic, everything's stupid. Thieves can initiate from 3000 range with sb5 shadow step steal!! Necros have insane aoe condi burst!! Too much can't remove them all! Cele ele sustain too strong, just won't die! Warriors double endure pain, can't take dmg and has auto stab resistance pulsing can't corrupt his boons and runs with nike shoes on wow wtf!!! Mesmers stealth burst instakill wut!!?! Condi mesmers insane unlimited illusions shatters omg!!

Face it, everyone is op. Everything boils down to l2p issues. You nerf every shit and everyone becomes normal it will be boring.

@niconori.7235 said:

@Lunacy Solacio.6514 said:By the same logic, everything's stupid. Thieves can initiate from 3000 range with sb5 shadow step steal!! Necros have insane aoe condi burst!! Too much can't remove them all! Cele ele sustain too strong, just won't die! Warriors double endure pain, can't take dmg and has auto stab resistance pulsing can't corrupt his boons and runs with nike shoes on wow kitten!!! Mesmers stealth burst instakill wut!!?! Condi mesmers insane unlimited illusions shatters omg!!

Face it, everyone is op. Everything boils down to l2p issues. You nerf every kitten and everyone becomes normal it will be boring.

Many things are a l2p issue, but there is a point when people complain that they are hit rather hard at such a range, such that they can't escape the range of a stationary player. No where have I said ranger should be nerfed into the ground... but there is a valid complaint when even tanky builds can be hit at such a long range for a high damage and no other classes get that kind of range. That is effectively low risk high reward. No it isn't mesmer/thief bursty, but those generally have to be relatively close for the highest bursts, as opposed to 2k+ range to fully attack from. It should just act consistently, which is something that seems to plague Anet a lot (lack of consistency) but they are hardly alone in that. Either all projectiles should get the increased range that height gives ranger longbow, or none should have it, and I'm not for giving that much range to all projectiles.

@Swagger.1459 said:

Comment from 2014...

Lol still can’t back anything up with Dev posts, that quote literally doesn’t prove anything that it is intended, so trying to claim a random nobody on the Internet is proof that it’s intended interaction.

Again there have been a lot of unintended interactions that were in game since beta that Anet has been Just now getting to fixing, so trying to use that as proof of it being intended is also a complete fallacy, so please provide a Dev comment that it’s intended, I will wait for that one, again 1200 and 1500 are the max ranges listed not some other further range.

Common sense says 1500 = 1500 and 1200=1200

But I understand certain people need every advantage they can get.

I’m just waiting for an actual Dev to make a statement to see if it’s intended or not.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@"CantoGuy.6459" said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Comment from 2014...

Lol still can’t back anything up with Dev posts, that quote literally doesn’t prove anything that it is intended, so trying to claim a random nobody on the Internet is proof that it’s intended interaction.

Again there have been a lot of unintended interactions that were in game since beta that Anet has been Just now getting to fixing, so trying to use that as proof of it being intended is also a complete fallacy, so please provide a Dev comment that it’s intended, I will wait for that one, again 1200 and 1500 are the max ranges listed not some other further range.To Me... It just seems like it would be such a major unintended action that has gone on for so long (years)... That I think if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so.

Common sense says 1500 = 1500 and 1200=1200I get it. I think we all do. I mean you write this like in every reply so far... but it's not as simple as that. That's just taking something at
face value
though. If It were common sense then the wiki would not have bothered listing "
can actually hit targets outside of the maximum range
", People would not be making video's trying to prove otherwise (which actually support the wiki in the part of the statement listed before) and ultimately people would not be going back and forth over this... if it were common sense. That being said, there is more to it than just numbers. If they added a better in game description... well that's another story and I believe it wouldn't hurt to look into.

But I understand certain people need every advantage they can get.So speaking for myself... none of my characters use a longbow at this time. That being said, this whole thing doesn't affect me presently =)... also I don't think we even wanna begin talking about what classes have what advantages... This isn't a one way street just FYI lol.

I’m just waiting for an actual Dev to make a statement to see if it’s intended or not.

Yea I can't wait anymore ether than you feel the need to rewrite this statement multiple times lol.

This is from an earlier reply...

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Just sounds like players are scared to lose the advantage of a big since as of yet no one can provide a statement from Anet saying that the overperforming Range is intended, must feel sad to have to rely on a bug sod badly.

So here you project the range advantage to be a "bug" as if it were a matter of fact. In which case, you just answered your own question on whether or not it's intentional. As "bugs" are something unintentional. Other than that, I'm curious where and what Dev you got the information from saying that this is a bug :o

@Whiteout.1975 said:

@"CantoGuy.6459" said:I don't care if it's not viable in zergs this auto attacking/rapid firing kitten is at least 1800 range and is just about the most annoying and most heavily abused weapon in the game! Please remove that 300 range buffer on this overused weapon

Comment from 2014...

Again there have been a lot of unintended interactions that were in game since beta that Anet has been Just now getting to fixing, so trying to use that as proof of it being intended is also a complete fallacy, so please provide a Dev comment that it’s intended, I will wait for that one, again 1200 and 1500 are the max ranges listed not some other further range.To Me... It just seems like it would be such a major unintended action that has gone on for so long (years)... That I think if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so.

Common sense says 1500 = 1500 and 1200=1200I get it. I think we all do. I mean you write this like in every reply so far... but it's not as simple as that. That's just taking something at
face value
", People would not be making video's trying to prove otherwise (which actually support the wiki in the part of the statement listed before) and ultimately people would not be going back and forth over this... if it were common sense. That being said, there is more to it than just numbers. If they added a better in game description... well that's another story and I believe it wouldn't hurt to look into.

But I understand certain people need every advantage they can get.So speaking for myself... none of my characters use a longbow at this time. That being said, this whole thing doesn't affect me presently =)... also I don't think we even wanna begin talking about what classes have what advantages... This isn't a one way street just FYI lol.

Yea I can't wait anymore ether than you feel the need to rewrite this statement multiple times lol.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:Just sounds like players are scared to lose the advantage of a big since as of yet no one can provide a statement from Anet saying that the overperforming Range is intended, must feel sad to have to rely on a bug sod badly.

So here you project the range advantage to be a "
bug
" as if it were a matter of fact. In which case, you just answered your own question on whether or not it's intentional. As "bugs" are something unintentional. Other than that, I'm curious where and what Dev you got the information from saying that this is a bug :o

Again the Wiki is maintained by players and lists thing that players find the skills to do again they have been removing interactions skills were doing since beta recently guess what the Wiki Stated those skills did those interactions, oh no with your logic they were totally intended interactions..

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug
" as if it were a matter of fact. In which case, you just answered your own question on whether or not it's intentional. As "bugs" are something unintentional. Other than that, I'm curious where and what Dev you got the information from saying that this is a bug :o

Again the Wiki is maintained by players and lists thing that players find the skills to do again they have been removing interactions skills were doing since beta recently guess what the Wiki Stated those skills did those interactions, oh no with your logic they were totally intended interactions..

That's not what I said at all lol... I said all the video's and so forth... just prove that part of the statement that was given on the wiki... that is my logic there. That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before... "if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so."

Besides you already answered your own question about it being a bug... so I'm curious where and what dev you got that information from so that I may see as well.

@Whiteout.1975 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

That's not what I said at all lol... I said all the video's and so forth... just prove that part of the statement that was given on the wiki... that is my logic there. That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before... "if they wanted to make the longbow shoot like other weapons, the ones that don't seem to arc, to simplify things... well common sense tells me that they would have done so."

Besides you already answered your own question about it being a bug... so I'm curious where and what dev you got that information from so that I may see as well.

Nice contradiction you got here, what’s the opposite Of unintended?

That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before

So the issue I have is you have multiple skills some say 1200 some say 1500 they go beyond the maximum range while you have others that don’t. And we have the Dev Tyler Chapman who worked with the PvP and Balance teams stating all skills Melee and Ranged are supposed to have a 15% range buffer which is clearly missing from a lot of skills, so either the bug is those skills are lacking the buffer don’t have the buffer for all those arcing projectiles are intended because no one has yet to a post the Fabled Dev statement that they claim states Arcing Projectiles having extended range over other projectiles.

All I’m looking for is Dev answering if it’s intended that certain projectiles go much further than others even though they have the same max range listed or if it’s the other Projectiles missing their range buffer.

again commonsense says 1500 equals 1500 not 1500 is greater than 1500 so both 1500 should be treated the same and commonsense says a 1200 is a lot shorter than 1500 but with certain projectiles that is clearly not the case so again that’s all I’m looking for clarification .

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

See how that says all and not some or a few?

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

That being said I never said it was intended ether... I said I have a hard time believing it is unintended as like I pointed out before

So the issue I have is you have multiple skills some say 1200 some say 1500 they go beyond the maximum range while you have others that don’t. And we have the Dev Tyler Chapman who worked with the PvP and Balance teams stating all skills Melee and Ranged are supposed to have a 15% range buffer which is clearly missing from a lot of skills, so either the bug is those skills are lacking the buffer don’t have the buffer for all those arcing projectiles are intended because no one has yet to a post the Fabled Dev statement that they claim states Arcing Projectiles having extended range over other projectiles.

All I’m looking for is Dev answering if it’s intended that certain projectiles go much further than others even though they have the same max range listed or if it’s the other Projectiles missing their range buffer.

again commonsense says 1500 equals 1500 not 1500 is greater than 1500 so both 1500 should be treated the same and commonsense says a 1200 is a lot shorter than 1500 but with certain projectiles that is clearly not the case so again that’s all I’m looking for clarification .

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

“Intended. All ranged and melee skills have a 15% buffer range to take account for tracking.”

Lol what? there is literally no contradiction there lol... What something is from a point of fact vs what someone believe's (what I believe) are 2 totally different things... but seeing as you can make the claim about the range being a bug from the point of fact... unless it is instead belief... then I can see how you could mix up what I said. As I'm still waiting to see where you got the information from.

I get your issue. Like I said before basically... I'm fine with you wanting more clarification (I'm interested as well) in regards to the descriptions given in game as far as range goes and I don't think it could hurt.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

You quoted a dev who doesn’t know what he was talking about, I believe he hadn’t worked at anet since like 2014?

@Dralor.3701 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

You quoted a dev who doesn’t know what he was talking about, I believe he hadn’t worked at anet since like 2014?

And again who are you?

@niconori.7235 said:

@"snake.6051" said:The max hit range is about 2000 distance but the autotargeting stops at 1500 so you will get hit if you stay still or run in a straight line.As a ranger if you use action camera you can aim youre arrows to actually hit targets at verry long range but it requires high skill cos you need to aim and lead youre targets just like fireing a sniper rifle in a fps only a little harder.Things like these actually make the game more cool and add needed depth.

Action camera? If the guy in this video who is firing a longbow auto from over 2000 range is using action camera then they wouldn't be able to move their mouse cursor...which they clearly do in the video

This is the kind of dumb videos most noobs who don't want to l2p use as an example. Note the elevation? How often do you get hit from a ranger from way above your head? On equal level it hits 1500 and it's not that much of a deal as most classes can easily gap close. True necros have it harder but kitten? Do you expect to have an invincible class? Everyone has its weaknesses and strengths. You are way overemphasizing the strength of a ranger's longbow what about its weaknesses? It can't do kitten AoE damage. And when you look at what necros are good at, it's the ability to dish out those insane AoE in a zerg fight. A necro's total DPS in a zerg fight is ALWAYS at the top, way above the others. And rangers are arguably a necro's only counter, and you want to take away that extra range the sole thing a ranger with longbow is good at? you might as well delete the class.

Note how in the very first clip the elevation is very minor. People keep citing elevation as the reason for the increased range but according to those who allegedly recall the original dev statement on the matter, it has nothing to do with elevation rather, but just a straight out range buffer.

Go test this yourself, you'll see that ranger LB does in fact hit > 1500 range on flat ground.

I tested this myself on DH longbow (the assumption being that the DH longbow projectiles arc in the exact same manner with the same range buffer as ranger LB). According to the test I did, DH longbow skill 1 which has a listed range of 1200 is capable of striking a target at 1650 units away on flat ground. That's 37.5% more range than listed. If you apply this same additional range to ranger longbow, you'll get a range of 2062 which matches up perfectly with what you see in the video.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Again.. where were you all for the past 6 years.

Nothing has changed.

You'd think scour... errr. Armageddon had hit.

If you don't like another class having a range advantage over you, then roll that class.

Actually over the last six years on the old forums and new threads like this have popped up continuously simple google search shows that. And now it’s been even more blatantly obvious when they gave a class the “same” range on all skills on a weapon with a very distinct Range indicator that the issue persists. But hey I know facts like that are very pesky things.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

And again who are you?

Told you just some dude who used to work there, idk if I have any archived dev tagged posts because I never posted much on the forums. Was mostly known in game on SoR.

Anyway, guy you are quoting was a QA embed not one of the designers. Again no disrespect intended but he was wrong.

@BlaqueFyre.5678 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:Again.. where were you all for the past 6 years.

Nothing has changed.

You'd think scour... errr. Armageddon had hit.

If you don't like another class having a range advantage over you, then roll that class.

Actually over the last six years on the old forums and new threads like this have popped up continuously simple google search shows that. And now it’s been even more blatantly obvious when they gave a class the “same” range on all skills on a weapon with a very distinct Range indicator that the issue persists. But hey I know facts like that are very pesky things.

Point is, it's not game breaking. Not in the least.

Just had a friend help me test the range of Ranger's LB on flat ground. The range is between 1840 and 1870.

Method 1:

• Medium training golem as target.
  • Stretch of ground: between the bridge and the training golems (area with warrior, guardian, revenant and necro class npcs in the pvp lobby).
  • Maximum range determination: Continually backed up and remained still before firing arrows. At the range at which arrows truck, and then a single quick press of the s key resulted in "Out of Range," the location was marked with necro marks/ranger traps. Returned to this precise point before continuing.
  • Closed the gap between Max range point and target using skills.-The accuracy of the skill's listed range was matched against other skills of similar listed range.-Swoop (bird pet + soulbeast form) = 1200 range (accuracy tested against 1200 range teleport and 1200 non-arcing projectile attacks).-Instinctive Engage (dagger 3) = 400 range (tested against crippling leap - canine pet + soulbeast form)
  • So at this point I was already at 1600 range and only needed one more skill to close the gap. Here are the skills I then attempted to use:-Whirling Defense = 180 radius. Out of Range-Maul = 220 range. Out of Range-Kick (Rock Gazelle + soulbeast form) = 270 range. Successfully hit-Wing buffet (wyvern pet + soulbeast form) = 240 range. Out of Range.-All skills tested in triplicate, obtained the same result all 3 times.

Method 2: Same as above, but repeated on a player in a guild hall duel arena (Windswept Haven. Ground is pretty flat). Same results.

If we assume 1850 range, that's a 23% range buffer. What do people think, is this too much?

Honestly it probably is a L2P issue if people are arguing over 1850 range (an "unfair" 23% range buffer) and 1650 range (a 10% range buffer) being the difference in the outcome of the fight. However, I think it's still a significant balance issue that arcing projectiles receive such a large range buffer in comparison to the non-arcing projectiles (which essentially have no range buffer). I don't really have much comment on elevation boosting the striking distance of longbow since that's a more complex issue to address.

@Dralor.3701 said:

Comment from 2014...

face value

bug

Tyler Chapman’s quote:

And again who are you?

Told you just some dude who used to work there, idk if I have any archived dev tagged posts because I never posted much on the forums. Was mostly known in game on SoR.

Anyway, guy you are quoting was a QA embed not one of the designers. Again no disrespect intended but he was wrong.

And who’s to say you are right? Again he was a QA embed for both the PvP and Balance teams which seems a lot more credible than “some dude that used to work for Anet”

No doubt, but he still didn’t know what he was talking about. Guy was good at the game but not very knowledgeable about mechanics, IMO. :)

And again where is your proof that shows what you say is true and he did not know what he was talking about? The same can be said about you “some dude that used to work at Anet”

Hence why I am looking for an actual dev to clear this all up.

Archived