New Race Suggestion

@Tom Hsiao.9705 Elves or No Elves? I think it is a fine suggestion to have a elf race added to GW2. Of course fitting any new race into the game lore would present a bit of a challenge but not undo-able. Sure some people would welcome the idea of having an elf race while others will not. The classic race trinity of (Humans, Dwarves, and Elves) that has carried through most mmo's are still popular simply because they are classic. I think it would be a great addition to add elves to the game and it will certainly not break the GW2 community. Will Anet ever add them to the game? Maybe they will or maybe they won't that is dependent upon quite number of factors, I am sure they have seen multiple posts concerning a number of new playable races. Personally I would like to have Elves in the game .

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

Well A LOT of people also requested elves on multiple posts and they are GW2 players so what's your point? It's not like there is only 1 type of player in this game alright.

Tengu get requested
a lot
more. They have lore, they have presence. Demand for them outweighs
any
other race brought up. Elf would be a waste of time to even consider when so many other, stronger contenders exist.

The discussion is moot anyway. ANet has no plans to add a new race, because they would have to support them in all the old content
and
in all the upcoming content, including voice actors (hiring another 12) and armor design (which already takes forever). Trust me when I say, this isn't a hill to die on. Elves ain't happening.

Well I didn't say people shouldn't have Tengu did I? but you are clearly shutting me down for my elf idea simply because you don't have your Tengu? It is not that difficult to add new race alright? You don't work ANet probably even speak on their behave. If WOW can release 6 new races for their new upcoming expansion I'm sure it wouldn't kill ANet to add 2 popular requested race.

As for supporting old content; I don't recall having any tree people in GW1, so I'm sure if they can come up with that race they will be able to squeeze elf in there somehow. Since you don't work for Anet you don't need to worry about HOW they will make that happen or trash other people's ideas.

Wow. Just.. wow. The level of ... whatever that is completely staggers me.Any professional coder or project manager would give you the double-bird for saying that out of such a well of entitlement. And that is not a word I use lightly.

The reality of the situation is we can barely get new armor skins
for the races we have
, and that is
cited by ANet
, and you want work to go into making a generic, ill-fitting race that's in every other game and barely anyone wants? That it would take
hours and hours
of voice acting to get up to speed on
three waves of content
and re-fit
every armor skin
and
make cultural skins
and
re-fit every outfit
on a team that's nowhere near as big as WoW's budget, tech, or team size?

We are much better served by committing resources more of the players will use and enjoy rather than pandering to something that can be gotten elsewhere.And again, the reality is we're not going to see a new race anytime soon. I'm sure someone can cite the ANet post that mentions it.

If elf race is "barely anyone wants" perhaps it wouldn't be requested in multiple posts, if you even bother to scroll up a little you would see some reference.

I'm not quite sure who you are referring as "WE" because you are not speaking for me or anyone else.So it sounded more like "you are much better served by committing resources you will use and enjoy rather than pandering to something that others will enjoy".

I think it's great to express your opinions however it is extremely rude to trash other people's suggestions. You don't see me saying anything negative about the other 2 races that you want so I don't know why you are trashing my suggestions by calling elf generic, ill-fitting race and waste of time to even consider.

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Can OP just accept that their "elf request" isn't that popular and stop being rude to other posters.

"@Tom Hsiao.9705"If you're that hellbent on proving your point, make a
balanced
poll and see how the public responds.

Rude to other posters? have you seen the responses I'm getting from people who are against elf? Those words are actually personally attacking me and all I am doing is just suggesting a race that I (and some others who have expressed their interest in other posts) would enjoy playing.

As for the balance poll if you think that would make you feel happier or more superior by trash my suggestions please feel free to make that balance poll.

Just because somethings repeatedly suggested doesnt mean the vast majority of people want it. Like dueling, or open world PVP. But heres the thing, there is no reason to add elves when they have races they have already considered for being playable and decided against. Kodan, Tengu(Who got so close they got a city sized map laid out for them.), I think even the Largos where at one point. What do elves bring to this world that isnt already in this world? Attractiveness? we have that already, not to you maybe. Do they bring anything truly unique? Do they bring anything they could offer, that another race already doesnt offer?

@Ardid.7203 said:The major problem with your suggestion, Tom, aside from all the non values Elves give to this game in particular, is that you base all your reasoning on the extremely subjective idea that other races are unattractive. Sorry to pop your bubble, but this is NOT TRUE. They may not be attractive to you. Specifically to you. Maybe other people share your tastes and just want to play elves no matter what or where. But they don't seem to be a strong trend in this game, so your subjective argument doesn't even have crowd support. Do you have any objective reason for your suggestion, like other people have put here to negate the inclusion of elves (or in some cases, any new race).Sell the idea, make it about something valuable for everyone, not only about you, and maybe people will listen.

Well Ardid unfortunately I didn't get to consult all the other players why they want elf and put up a summary for everyone here. However it has been requested numerous time so I know I'm not the only one who wants it. Personally I just like the idea of immortality and pointy ears on human.

On the personal note I just prefer to look at beautiful things, and if I have to stare at my character for hours I would prefer them to look pretty or at least try to look pretty... I believe that is the reason why many people spend real money in this game to customize their character with outfit or mount skins to fit the way they prefer their characters to look. If you have problem with elf or you think they're not your cup of tea you can simply ignore it if it ever becomes available. To be honest it's just human with immortality and pointy ears and often prettier hair/face I'm not so sure why people have so much problem with prettier version of human.

I see many argues it would take huge amount of time and coding etc but I disagree because elf are very much like human (appearance wise) except theirs ears are different. So for people saying stuff about it's very difficult to add elf to the game needs coding etc it's just a poor excuse because it can easily be done with human models.

Oh and by the way this post was really meant for the development team to see wasn't really meant to generate negativities from others so if any of you got nothing nice to say please keep it to yourself.

p.s. If making elf is REALLY that difficult please just add the option for people to customize their ears, either add the feature at the total makeover kit or just sell pointy ear accessory in gem store.

Thanks <3

@Dante.1763 said:

Well A LOT of people also requested elves on multiple posts and they are GW2 players so what's your point? It's not like there is only 1 type of player in this game alright.

Tengu get requested
a lot
any
other race brought up. Elf would be a waste of time to even consider when so many other, stronger contenders exist.

The discussion is moot anyway. ANet has no plans to add a new race, because they would have to support them in all the old content
and
in all the upcoming content, including voice actors (hiring another 12) and armor design (which already takes forever). Trust me when I say, this isn't a hill to die on. Elves ain't happening.

Well I didn't say people shouldn't have Tengu did I? but you are clearly shutting me down for my elf idea simply because you don't have your Tengu? It is not that difficult to add new race alright? You don't work ANet probably even speak on their behave. If WOW can release 6 new races for their new upcoming expansion I'm sure it wouldn't kill ANet to add 2 popular requested race.

As for supporting old content; I don't recall having any tree people in GW1, so I'm sure if they can come up with that race they will be able to squeeze elf in there somehow. Since you don't work for Anet you don't need to worry about HOW they will make that happen or trash other people's ideas.

Wow. Just.. wow. The level of ... whatever that is completely staggers me.Any professional coder or project manager would give you the double-bird for saying that out of such a well of entitlement. And that is not a word I use lightly.

The reality of the situation is we can barely get new armor skins
for the races we have
, and that is
cited by ANet
, and you want work to go into making a generic, ill-fitting race that's in every other game and barely anyone wants? That it would take
hours and hours
of voice acting to get up to speed on
three waves of content
and re-fit
every armor skin
and
make cultural skins
and
re-fit every outfit
on a team that's nowhere near as big as WoW's budget, tech, or team size?

We are much better served by committing resources more of the players will use and enjoy rather than pandering to something that can be gotten elsewhere.And again, the reality is we're not going to see a new race anytime soon. I'm sure someone can cite the ANet post that mentions it.

If elf race is "barely anyone wants" perhaps it wouldn't be requested in multiple posts, if you even bother to scroll up a little you would see some reference.

I'm not quite sure who you are referring as "WE" because you are not speaking for me or anyone else.So it sounded more like "you are much better served by committing resources you will use and enjoy rather than pandering to something that others will enjoy".

I think it's great to express your opinions however it is extremely rude to trash other people's suggestions. You don't see me saying anything negative about the other 2 races that you want so I don't know why you are trashing my suggestions by calling elf generic, ill-fitting race and waste of time to even consider.

@"MarshallLaw.9260" said:Can OP just accept that their "elf request" isn't that popular and stop being rude to other posters.

"@Tom Hsiao.9705"If you're that hellbent on proving your point, make a
balanced
poll and see how the public responds.

Rude to other posters? have you seen the responses I'm getting from people who are against elf? Those words are actually personally attacking me and all I am doing is just suggesting a race that I (and some others who have expressed their interest in other posts) would enjoy playing.

As for the balance poll if you think that would make you feel happier or more superior by trash my suggestions please feel free to make that balance poll.

Just because somethings repeatedly suggested doesnt mean the vast majority of people want it. Like dueling, or open world PVP. But heres the thing, there is no reason to add elves when they have races they have already considered for being playable and decided against. Kodan, Tengu(Who got so close they got a city sized map laid out for them.), I think even the Largos where at one point. What do elves bring to this world that isnt already in this world? Attractiveness? we have that already, not to you maybe. Do they bring anything truly unique? Do they bring anything they could offer, that another race already doesnt offer?

Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: immortality !! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people numerous times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: immortality !!Immortality is, by far, one of the worst fantasy tropes. What do elves do with 500+ years of their lives?...Squat in the woods.I have never seen a game/world where elves were the most advanced society. (They were militarily dominant in Skyrim, but no more advanced.)So that trope is just.. sad. It's literally a waste of time.Asura possess far more knowledge and magic than an elf would in this setting.And they have pointed ears. <3

(and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.If you need a human with pointed ears, just play a human.

If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people numerous times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.Again, Tengu get brought with far, far more frequency. If the "vast majority" wanted it, it would've come up a lot more by now. A simpleI suspect this rash of elf-need is strangely tied to another game's failure to provide, but that doesn't meant GW2 needs to pick up the slack.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@"crepuscular.9047" said:No, no AND NO

Stop resurrecting zombie topics

No, no AND NO right back at you! Why don't you take your negativity somewhere else? And perhaps you can read my previous message because it was addressed to you.

Because someone already made a post about it just a month ago, and members already left plentiful of feedbacks

Even Colin had address this during HoT launch

@"Colin Johanson"For this one, we looked at what we would get out of adding a new race and what benefit it actually brings to the players from a gameplay standpoint. It's very limited in Guild Wars 2. A new race adds a racial skill or two and a little bit of story, but it doesn't give that much meaningful gameplay in the grand scheme of things. The race is more context for the early story that you experience. So we wanted to focus things that would provide a lot more gameplay and address parts of Guild Wars 2 that we felt like we really wanted to be able to make a better experience and grow. So right now, we didn't feel that a new race was a key need for the game, whereas the other things that we're adding really provide fundamental building blocks for the future.

Running a game development studio is the same as any other company in the business world, Investment vs Returns, selling Elf shirt does not bring in the $$$, gemstore and expansions doesIf Anet does not bring in the big dollars, it's just a simple instruction from NCSoft to shut the game down just like what they did with City of Heroes (even though the game was still making profits)

@Rauderi.8706 said:

Tengu get requested
a lot
any

and

Tengu would be ideal but they would have to start from scratch for armors to fit properly. Elves would be easy in the fact that they can use the human model and just add different heads/faces. A lycan or even lizard man class would probably be in the same boat because they can retrofit the charr model. Personally I would love to be a dredge, tengu, Ogre, jotun and largos. But that would mean lots of work. I'm just being realistic in what they can do quickly with minimal effort.

@Magnus Godrik.5841 said:

Tengu get requested
a lot
any

and

Tengu would be ideal but they would have to start from scratch for armors to fit properly. Elves would be easy in the fact that they can use the human model and just add different heads/faces. A lycan or even lizard man class would probably be in the same boat because they can retrofit the charr model. Personally I would love to be a dredge, tengu, Ogre, jotun and largos. But that would mean lots of work. I'm just being realistic in what they can do quickly with minimal effort.

they wouldnt really have to start from class, the Tengu model uses the charr model or vice versa.

@Dante.1763 said:

Tengu get requested
a lot
any

and

they wouldnt really have to start from class, the Tengu model uses the charr model or vice versa.

Idk they look totally different to me. Limb wise.

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: immortality !! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people numerous times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

Who is to say that the sylvari aren't immortal (or at least have tree length life spans)

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@crepuscular.9047 said:No, no AND NO

Stop resurrecting zombie topics

No, no AND NO right back at you! Why don't you take your negativity somewhere else? And perhaps you can read my previous message because it was addressed to you.

Because
someone already made a post about it just a month ago
, and members already left plentiful of feedbacks

Even Colin had address this during HoT launch

@"Colin Johanson"For this one, we looked at what we would get out of adding a new race and what benefit it actually brings to the players from a gameplay standpoint. It's very limited in Guild Wars 2. A new race adds a racial skill or two and a little bit of story, but it doesn't give that much meaningful gameplay in the grand scheme of things. The race is more context for the early story that you experience. So we wanted to focus things that would provide a lot more gameplay and address parts of Guild Wars 2 that we felt like we really wanted to be able to make a better experience and grow. So right now, we didn't feel that a new race was a key need for the game, whereas the other things that we're adding really provide fundamental building blocks for the future.

Running a game development studio is the same as any other company in the business world, Investment vs Returns, selling Elf shirt does not bring in the $$$, gemstore and expansions doesIf Anet does not bring in the big dollars, it's just a simple instruction from NCSoft to shut the game down just like what they did with City of Heroes (even though the game was still making profits)

Well they also mentioned they didn’t want GW2 to have mounts like other games when the game first launched but they changed their mind at POF by introducing all the mounts. So what’s your point? Plus HOT was number of years ago so they could very much change their mind by now by introduce elf or whatever new race at the new upcoming expansion.

What makes you think by introducing elf race won’t generate $$$? It may attract other players from other games to join this game because they simply enjoy playing elf race. So the current community may NOT all enjoy elf but it could attract new players to this game. It sounds like you are only looking at the small picture because you are only targeting the players that doesn’t want elf in the game. So you can keep your business lecture to yourself...

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

What makes you think by introducing elf race won’t generate $$$? It may attract other players from other games to join this game because they simply enjoy playing elf race. So the current community may NOT all enjoy elf but it could attract new players to this game. It sounds like you are only looking at the small picture because you are only targeting the players that doesn’t want elf in the game. So you can keep your business lecture to yourself...

The best textbook example, Mists of Pandaria

Lots of WoW Players wanted to play as pandas, what it turned out was the biggest commercial failure Blizzard ever had

if you want to turn this into a personal attack, be my guest

@crepuscular.9047 said:

The best textbook example, Mists of Pandaria

Lots of WoW Players wanted to play as pandas, what it turned out was the biggest commercial failure Blizzard ever had

if you want to turn this into a personal attack, be my guest

The better textbook example, The burning crusade

I’m not sure where you got the info LOTS of WOW player wanted to play as pandas but I will say this. Lots of WOW players wanted to play as elves (especially on horde side) so it was a huge success launching burning crusade and MANY alliance players even switch to horde side just so they can be blood elves.And for the record nobody is requesting panda here I’m requesting elf. So I don’t see how is that even relevant to my suggestion.

What do you mean by turning this into a personal attack please be more specific, because right now it looks more like you are ganging up on me with everybody who is against the idea of implementing elf.

@Elspereth.1280 said:

@"Tom Hsiao.9705" said:Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer:
immortality
!! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people
numerous
times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

Who is to say that the sylvari aren't immortal (or at least have tree length life spans)

If sylvari have immortality or tree length life spam I’m sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the game. I’m not sure what yours point and why you have to bring up sylvari when I’m talking about elf. They’re totally different race.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@Plautze.6290 said:Here goes your elf archetype:

Tree-hugging: CheckA little weird behavior: CheckPointy ears: Check

Sylvari address all of your elf-loving needs.

@Oogabooga.3812 said:With the latest update to underwater skills and introduction of swimming infusions, I would hope the new playable race would be Largos, cuz Sayeh is sexy.

So you like chicks with gas masks on...? Uhmkay, I guess.

Strange bark skin: UncheckLeafy Hair (No hair??): UncheckAwfully weird color skin tone: Uncheck

Your argument is not even valid.It's like you're looking at a dog and trying to call it a cat because it both have similar trait but it's clearly different species.

However valid your argument might be, it's never ever gonna happen.¯ _(ツ)_/¯

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:If sylvari have immortality or tree length life spam I’m sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the game. I’m not sure what yours point and why you have to bring up sylvari when I’m talking about elf. They’re totally different race.

Sylvari emerged in the year 1302, now we are in 1331, which means Sylvari existed for only 29 years so maybe they don't know their own lifespan just yet. We won't know the actual Sylvari lifespan until GW3 is released, provided it has a huge time leap, similar to the one between GW1 and GW2.

If your ability to enjoy the game is dependant on the existence of tolkienesque elves in the game, this game might not be for you and you might want to consider moving on to a game that has elves. Can we bury this thread now I doubt anything new will come from it that hasn't been mentioned in the last three pages worth of posts.

@lokh.2695 said:If your ability to enjoy the game is dependant on the existence of tolkienesque elves in the game, this game might not be for you and you might want to consider moving on to a game that has elves. Can we bury this thread now I doubt anything new will come from it that hasn't been mentioned in the last three pages worth of posts.

Word.

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer:
immortality
!! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people
numerous
times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

If sylvari have immortality or tree length life spam I’m sure it would have been mentioned somewhere in the game. I’m not sure what yours point and why you have to bring up sylvari when I’m talking about elf. They’re totally different race.

The point is you want to introduce a race totally stranger to Tyria without even knowing the most basic about the lore of the games, only to get pointy ears on a human.

I think we could have an event of the same kind of Super Adventure Box to honor the classic MMORPGs. In this event we would have quests, instances that refer to classic dungeons, various references to table RPG and we could fancy ourselves, use tonics or something else that would turn us into elves, orcs, dwarves and other classic races. Besides skins of that style. That would be perfect.

Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer: immortality !! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.

Immortality and eternal youth? Sylvari are a new race to the world with only 25 years of existence but they born fully grown so I may asume they cannot age as regular mortal races. Here is a quote of the wiki: It is unknown to outsiders if the sylvari die of old age, as they are known to have died only through violence, poison or disease and do not appear to age.So far it is unknown.

knowledge -> Asura have that.

magic power->Nearly every race in Tyria (in the lore is it known that God Abbadon gave the knowledge of magic to the races of Tyria and the other Gods were against it and imprisonated him).

About the special racial sure it could be an "only elf" ability with the condition that the skill is poorer than the classes skills(as all the other racial skills)

Just a reminder that races are not working as in WoW(nor stats nor passive resistances nor special tricky advantages). Therefore only stat differences is made by classes.

If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people numerous times. Just because the people who likes elf are not as active on the forum as the ones that's oppose to it doesn't mean vast majority of people doesn't want it.

Dunno if it is a vast majority but I don't think this is how it works in this game(again the reminder that this is not operating like WoW).I like elves, especially dark elves. But IMO(that I based both in subjectiveness and objectiveness of the game) they don't have a spot in this world. Realistically, there can be people like me that loves elves but also doesn't want them here in GW2. That can make the vast majority if asked to the these same people via forum threads. That makes the amount of people to completely banish the concept of implementing the elves into GW2? I don't think so, same as the desire of putting them by the desire vast majority that wants them in the game.

There is also a great amount(and i mean GREAT) that are so fan of the quaggans(not my cup of tea) that wants them playable. YES, quaggans have huge popularity in this game as the murlocs in WoW game. It can be bigger than the people that wants elves as playable. Then again Arenanet doesn't operate like this "I see there are many that wants THIS so we are going to give you :)", they operate as they want to create their desired world(obviously with some suggestions of the playerbase if those suggestions are pleasant to the devs desired world of GW2).

With that final premise I don't see hints of a new elf race nor in the past nor in the present. Maybe in the future but I extremely doubt it.So...as you said, there are plenty of threads about elf race and I'm pretty confident that Arenanet have already known those threads for a big while. What means that? Means that now they are the only ones with the power to do it or not and the future threads about this same topic is only useful to know the playerbase opinion.

I hope I was not rude nor mean in any aspect of the comment. Have a nice day everyone :) , Emi.

@"DarkEmiLupus.2876" said:

Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer:
immortality
!! (and MORE attractiveness yes) perhaps special racial skill sets that reflex elf abilities.They're known for their knowledge, magic power, eternal youth ...the list can go on and on you can do some research on google on your own.

Immortality
and
eternal youth
? Sylvari are a new race to the world with only 25 years of existence but they born fully grown so I may asume they cannot age as regular mortal races. Here is a quote of the wiki:
It is unknown to outsiders if the sylvari die of old age, as they are known to have died only through violence, poison or disease and do not appear to age.
So far it is unknown.

knowledge
-> Asura have that.

magic power
->Nearly every race in Tyria (in the lore is it known that God Abbadon gave the knowledge of magic to the races of Tyria and the other Gods were against it and imprisonated him).

About the special racial sure it could be an "only elf" ability with the condition that the skill is poorer than the classes skills(as all the other racial skills)

Just a
reminder
that races are not working as in WoW(nor stats nor passive resistances nor special tricky advantages). Therefore only stat differences is made by classes.

If vast majority of people doesn't want it then it wouldn't have been brought up by "different" people
numerous

Dunno if it is a
vast majority
but I don't think this is how it works in this game(again the reminder that this is not operating like WoW).I like elves, especially dark elves. But IMO(that I based both in subjectiveness and objectiveness of the game) they don't have a spot in this world. Realistically, there can be people like me that loves elves but also doesn't want them here in GW2. That can make the vast majority if asked to the these same people via forum threads. That makes the amount of people to completely banish the concept of implementing the elves into GW2? I don't think so, same as the desire of putting them by the desire vast majority that wants them in the game.

There is also a great amount(and i mean GREAT) that are so fan of the quaggans(not my cup of tea) that wants them playable. YES, quaggans have huge popularity in this game as the murlocs in WoW game. It can be bigger than the people that wants elves as playable. Then again Arenanet doesn't operate like this "I see there are many that wants THIS so we are going to give you :)", they operate as they want to create their desired world(obviously with some suggestions of the playerbase if those suggestions are pleasant to the devs desired world of GW2).

With that final premise I don't see hints of a new elf race nor in the past nor in the present. Maybe in the future but I extremely doubt it.So...as you said, there are plenty of threads about elf race and I'm pretty confident that Arenanet have already known those threads for a big while. What means that? Means that now they are the only ones with the power to do it or not and the future threads about this same topic is only useful to know the playerbase opinion.

I hope I was not rude nor mean in any aspect of the comment. Have a nice day everyone :) , Emi.

You're rude and mean for disagreeing with op

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:

@Tom Hsiao.9705 said:Of course they bring something another race doesn't already offer:
immortality
numerous

The point is you want to introduce a race totally stranger to Tyria without even knowing the most basic about the lore of the games, only to get pointy ears on a human.

You sound like the people who commented “we don’t need mounts because it doesn’t fit the lore of the game” prior to POF when people were asking for mounts in the forum, but guess what?? We still got mounts and I bet you those people are enjoying the mount now!!! So the whole lore of the game is just not a legit excuse. Oh and what makes you think it’s totally stranger to Tyria? Do you have all the upcoming storylines??? If not what makes you think it’s stranger to Tyria? Unless you’re development team I don’t think whatever you’re saying is legit.

I was opposed to mounts in GW2 because gameplay and visual clutter issues. IMO, Anet solved my major concerns quite well by making awesome mounts that behave totally different from the basic concept of mount present in every other MMORPG, which I keep despising today. I still think Mounts in GW2 are detrimental to the administration of speed boons and the linked cost opportunity for exploring-builds vs pure-combat-builds, but my worries were mostly covered. They did an incredible job.

That being said, I was never contrary to Mounts for Lore reasons. Lore reasons were NEVER a strong or logical basis against mounts. There were almost 0 Lore previously established about mounts on Tyria, so Anet had a perfect Tabula Rasa to develop the concept. While it is still a bit farfetched they haven't explained why isn't there a more widespread use of mounts in the world aside from Elona and the commander; current mounts are perfectly Lore friendly, matching the world without any problem and adding incredibly original and interesting elements to it. Most game breaking stuff come from some gemstore skins, which are supposed to be non canon anyway.However, Mounts are still more in the side of game mechanics than in the lore side.

This is totally different with a new playable Race. The devs themselves have said it: the reason why adding a New Race is seen as a major and hard to prioritize project is because they have little mechanical impact, but require a HUGE work from the Story and History sides. Playable races are the most literal embodiment of the Lore of the game.

Elves simply doesn't exist in Tyria at all. AFAIK, there are not one mention of them anywhere in the game or in the wiki or in the devs's comments (aside from that one about making sylvari less similar to elves). They don't have a past in Tyria, don't have a role to fulfill, don't have anything to add that is not covered already by humans, sylvari or by ancient entities like the exalted or the mursaat. They don't have anything to do with the development of the current events, and they don't have any relation with the overarching theme of the game, which is the conflict around mega powerful, force of nature like, dragons.

In short, they don't make sense.

The writers for GW2 would have to directly make elves appear from nowhere without any reason, create a whole culture without any antecedent to it, build some physical place where they could stay, connect them to the game's story on the fly, without any previous hook, all just to have a new race that only add redundancy over things we already have. And all of this, just so you can have a human with pointy ears.

Do you want to play with a magical immortal? Ask Anet to make Exalted playable. I'll backup it, it could be interesting.Do you want cosmetic ears for your human? Ok, I can support that. It is somewhat reasonable as long as is just gemstore stuff.Do you want Anet to add an entire new race that doesn't make sense and will make them copy a tired cliche almost every other game already have? Please develop some self criticism.

Archived