I wish GW2 had World Chat

26 minutes ago, The Greyhawk.9107 said:

Then I'm glad Anet didn't waste their time and effort on this, time and effort that probably went towards something far more useful.

I'm no programmer, but I couldn't imagine it would take much effort to make the chat work that way, they probably already have the ability to do so.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

This was something that was available (through a Gem Store item) in Beta (I don't believe it ever made it to launch); it was quickly removed due to popular demand. 

I remember that!  Boy was there an uproar on GW2Guru when the first screen caps of the Gemstore was uploaded.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

This was something that was available (through a Gem Store item) in Beta (I don't believe it ever made it to launch); it was quickly removed due to popular demand. 

Started playing at launch.

It would broadcast messages to all chat channels?

So I could imagine there was no way to turn off peoples messages and that was why people didn't want it?

4 hours ago, kharmin.7683 said:

No thank you.  Guild recruitment spam is bad enough as it is now.

Think a world chat would only benefit you then, because It might actually improve how bad it was in map chat if people starting posting it in world chat instead (and you turned world chat off)

Edited by jokke.6239
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I still haven't seen any suggested benefits of world chat which aren't better served by existing systems.

If you want to be notified of events or advertise guilds there's the LFG tool. If you want people to talk to you can join a big, active guild (or more than one), one with enough people that there will always be a conversation going but not as overwhelming and impractical as everyone in your region talking all at once.

Also I'm not sure any QoL feature where it seems one of the most important and useful features is "you can turn it off and never use it at all" is going to be worth Anet's time to make.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Danikat.8537 said:

I still haven't seen any suggested benefits of world chat which aren't better served by existing systems.

If you want to be notified of events or advertise guilds there's the LFG tool. If you want people to talk to you can join a big, active guild (or more than one), one with enough people that there will always be a conversation going but not as overwhelming and impractical as everyone in your region talking all at once.

Also I'm not sure any QoL feature where it seems one of the most important and useful features is "you can turn it off and never use it at all" is going to be worth Anet's time to make.

I haven't seen any arguments that isn't just "I don't want it, so no one should have it"

It will probably take almost zero "time/effort/money" to implement.

It's basicly WvW chat tweeked a bit.

No expansion will be delayed because of it 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Anet has basically been slowly doing away with servers for a long time. to reiterate some posters in this thread:

first came PvE Mega-servers, essentially combining all PvE players from all servers, broken up into 2 regions: NA and EU. meaning that if there's not enough players in NA region to fill up a single instance of a map, then a second instance will not open until the first instance fills up. this also means that players of all the NA servers are playing with each other on one map instance. 

next is the WvW Restructuring systems, otherwise known as "Alliances." These will effectively destroy what's left of "servers," since the matchmaking will combine alliances, guilds, and individual players into teams (worlds) instead of combining servers into teams. current server divisions will cease to exist (if Anet likes the results of  World Restructuring )

back to the "world chat channel"... the only game mode where this exists is WvWvW, and is called Team Chat, which is available to everyone in the WvWvW game mode: EBG, RBL, GBL, BBL, EOTM, and Armistice Bastion maps. PvE does not have such a channel because there's no server divisions. you would effectively have a single channel where everyone in the game would be chatting to each other all the time. this conclusion is based on Guild Chat. all players in said guild see all messages in chat (except if offline or of blocked accounts) across all servers and even across both regions. (NA and EU). that means that you can invite people to your guild from a different region into your guild and chat with them, but you wouldn't be able to play together since you're in different regions. i know this because it's happened in one of my guilds, where we have/had people in bothe NA and EU regions in guild, chatted with them, but they weren't able to play together in PvE, WvWvW nor sPvP.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunately, OP, I don't think it will work. It will function as if it was the youtube or twitch chat, where all you will see are constant scrolling messages and chat spam that nobody is going to read. Basically, think of map chat, the most active chat category in the game. Now, multiply that times 10. That's world chat. I suspect that this is the key reason why the gw2 chats are divided into different categories in the first place.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Chaosi.4182 said:

Just bring pvp map chat to pve. Most of us pvpers talk in map chat sometimes for hours. 

Those are all instanced. The WvW one is limited to five maps, but also a single server (alliance).

A "world" chat would do... what, exactly? Allow *all* players to see and chat with *all* others, everywhere? Huh?

32 minutes ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Those are all instanced. The WvW one is limited to five maps, but also a single server (alliance).

A "world" chat would do... what, exactly? Allow *all* players to see and chat with *all* others, everywhere? Huh?

WvW Team chat already has problems with people being on different maps. Or rather it has problems with people forgetting that and not putting enough detail in their messages. Always fun when someone just writes "red incoming" in Team chat and we get jokes about the Red Scare and how they're everywhere simultaneously.

Admittedly PvE already has the same problem sometimes. More than once I've seen someone ask for help in map chat and when someone asks where and with what they say "here". 🙄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Danikat.8537 said:

WvW Team chat already has problems with people being on different maps. Or rather it has problems with people forgetting that and not putting enough detail in their messages.

Because Anet in their infinite wisdom decided that no, the setting which shows which border you are in does not need to be default on. Or deleted completely so there isnt even a way to turn it off, but I digress.

• 6 months later...
On 6/21/2018 at 4:38 PM, Dawdler.8521 said:

Team chat in WvW is across just 5 instances (well 4 if you ignore obsidian) with a max of ~350 players and it can turn into a toxic cesspool in an instant. Imagine that across the entire game.

I would honestly love to have read-only access to that while outside of WvW, just so I can know if there is action worthwhile joining right now, someone tagging up and looking for players or whatnot.

It would at least add some more cohesion to the world system and would seem like an overall great addition to make WvW more present and accessible.

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Oscura Yeroc.3064 said:

Playing this now in 2022...I agree. I feel so isolated.

Have you tried finding a guild? Joining a social guild which is active when you're likely to be online makes a big difference. I'm in 2 currently and it pretty much guarentees there will always be a conversation going on which I can keep following even when I'm moving between different maps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1