Extremely disappointed in the way some ArenaNet writers think about their playerbase

Overall I think the whole thing got a bit overblown from all sides after reading the stuff on reddit. Let's hope that Anet staff can continue to work on quality writing and customers should not get into such a big fuss over some stuff posted on twitter. I've said things here that got me in to trouble, even suspended a few times over it. But I'd like to think overall I'm an okay person here as far as overall contributions and that is what matters more. I still want my rando kittenhat. That would be funny, a hat with a kitten on it that changes into random kittens. :D

Edit: PS I typed the word "kitten" and was not trying to get around the language filter. :D

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just wondering what ANet will do, in any other company you wouldnt even get the job with that kind of twitter in the first place and if you somehow managed to get the job and embarrassed your company like that in the public you dont even have to bother coming to work ever again.

@Leo G.4501 said:But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do ANYTHING that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

Yeah, that's called accountability and professionalism. When you work for a company, you essentially become (one of) the public face(s) of that company. What you say reflects the company's policy as a whole.

Overblown or not, it's not a proper way to represent the company you're working for. If it was a rando the whole stuff might not have been blown up. But calling out like that to someone who is doing a lot for the game is not the way i would like my employees to act.

Also she's saying on her twitter that she only pretends to like us when she's on the clock. At least that's how I read it. (Twitter feed)

Edit: removed screenshot link

@"Leo G.4501" said:I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

I'd like to think she knows that's like every day for every job for men, women, and attack helicopters.

Edit: I take that back. After seeing Kenagin's screenshot it seems like she woke up after a restful night sleeping on her bed of cactus and drank a morning cup of vitriol.

@cadmiumgreen.8712 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:I think she did. She literally quoted some guy's tweet with a caption of something like "A day in the life of a female game developer: someone telling me how to do my job" or some such.

I'd like to think she knows that's like every day for every job for men, women, and attack helicopters.

Apache attack helicopters only have to worry about fuel, not thin-skinned warmblooded sensitivities. How dare you assume our problems.

D:

@Kenagin.3529 said:Overblown or not, it's not a proper way to represent the company you're working for. If it was a rando the whole stuff might not have been blown up. But calling out like that to someone who is doing a lot for the game is not the way i would like my employees to act.

Also she's saying on her twitter that she only pretends to like us when she's on the clock. At least that's how I read it. (Twitter feed)

Well lucky for her, I don't even pretend to like the devs or the game, I simply am a reasonable individual who likes to have civil discussions.

@"Sime.3681" said:Seriously, you are creating drama over something the dev posted on her PERSONAL TWITTER. PERSONAL. Reported for harassing.

Even on her "personal twitter account" she is representing her company, she even has this on her description. The moment people know who you are working for you are also representing the company you are working for. It might sound like BS but this is how it works, especially when people on the internet know who you are working for. So everything she does, is also reflecting back on Anet. She is doing great and puts out well thought out posts? Good for her and also for Anet. She snaps and does some real BS? Reflects really badly on Anet.

Never do something that puts a negative light on your company. Something that should be really taught more.

@Kenagin.3529 said:

@Kenagin.3529 said:In case you guys don't know the guy she responds to is a respected content creator and he even has a NPC ingame.

So? I don't really get why that matters.

Just imagine your a manager/boss and some of your employees act like that to a partner/customer. (Whether he/she knows it or not) I would definitely be upset.

I just still don't see what his being a content creator really has to do with it. Her response was inappropriate, and it would still be inappropriate even if the person she said it to didn't have a following of fans/viewers.

@SteepledHat.1345 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:Why are you throwing every other Anet writer in with this one particular writer?

They hired her. Like it or not she represents them. If they're okay with this. They're condoning the behavior by virtue of association.

Are you sure the other writers hired her? I would think that would be management, or at best, the Lead Writer. /shrug

All boils down to.....bring back tough skin. This thin skin is ruining society as a whole, and hopefully some of us will still refuse to ever be pc in r/l or game. Just move on and play the game and have fun. I'm sure there's a 12 step program out there somewhere that breaks the thin skin habit, keep looking and find the cure.

@SteepledHat.1345 said:

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:Why are you throwing every other Anet writer in with this one particular writer?

They hired her. Like it or not she represents them. If they're okay with this. They're condoning the behavior by virtue of association.

The other Anet writers did not hire her. The rest of the team is not responsible for what she said, and the rest of the team doesn't deserve to be lumped in with her. Also, this whole exchange just happened today, didn't it? On a major US holiday. I think they just haven't gotten around to dealing with it officially because no one is at work.

@Batel.9206 said:

@"Leo G.4501" said:But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do
ANYTHING
that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

Yeah, that's called accountability and professionalism. When you work for a company, you essentially become (one of) the public face(s) of that company. What you say reflects the company's policy as a whole.

FYI, I don't disagree with you, I just feel there could have been a divide between people and their online identity. Because even if people hold harmful or racist or sexist, etc views, so long as they can hold that divide of "what they feel/think" and "what they do", who are we to restrict anyone in such a way? It's only in recent decades that people have this belief in "subconscious biases" that need to be changed rather than just give individuals responsibility to restrict themselves.

I mean, the more freedoms you try to strip away from people, the more dangerous they become.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

The other Anet writers did not hire her. The rest of the team is not responsible for what she said, and the rest of the team doesn't deserve to be lumped in with her. Also, this whole exchange just happened today, didn't it? On a major US holiday. I think they just haven't gotten around to dealing with it officially because no one is at work.

The way Peter Fries jumped in to back her up tells me enough, if they are doing this is because acting that way is commonplace between the writers.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Kenagin.3529 said:Overblown or not, it's not a proper way to represent the company you're working for. If it was a rando the whole stuff might not have been blown up. But calling out like that to someone who is doing a lot for the game is not the way i would like my employees to act.

Well lucky for her, I don't even pretend to like the devs or the game, I simply am a reasonable individual who likes to have civil discussions.

Well, i like the game and the devs. I wouldn't stick for so long if I didn't like it. Just not always happy with their decisions. However whether she acts to like us or not is not really the point. I don't like the fact she's saying it, but how can i take her serious if she would ever post something about how much she loves the community. However she might just mean the people posting on her twitter feed.

I'm trying to be reasonable as well, not calling out to fire her or anything like that. Really love most of the work she's doing. But an apology would be in place.

Why the dev hate, though?This seems like their personal matters to me. Even ANet developers are humans who can disagree in their free time.What she actually represents ANet with is content that's in the game. It would be silly to expect her to have no life besides GW 2.

@RoseofGilead.8907 said:

@Kenagin.3529 said:In case you guys don't know the guy she responds to is a respected content creator and he even has a NPC ingame.

So? I don't really get why that matters.

Just imagine your a manager/boss and some of your employees act like that to a partner/customer. (Whether he/she knows it or not) I would definitely be upset.

I just still don't see what his being a content creator really has to do with it. Her response was inappropriate, and it would still be inappropriate even if the person she said it to didn't have a following of fans/viewers.

Because he advertises the game, he makes money for ANet.You dont want to fuck over people that make money for you.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Leo G.4501 said:But that's the thing: she can't. She cannot act how she likes on her Twitter BECAUSE of backlash. That is the whole point I'm trying to make in how people react to social media. It's no longer just some thing you can post or tweet whatever on. It's regulated, monitored and quickly spreads to a degree that if you do
ANYTHING
that either your educational institution, your congregation, your employer or business partners can see will have an effect thus you can't do what you like on your account, only what you're allowed to do.

FYI, I don't disagree with you, I just feel there could have been a divide between people and their online identity. Because even if people hold harmful or racist or sexist, etc views, so long as they can hold that divide of "what they feel/think" and "what they do", who are we to restrict anyone in such a way? It's only in recent decades that people have this belief in "subconscious biases" that need to be changed rather than just give individuals responsibility to restrict themselves.

I mean, the more freedoms you try to strip away from people, the more dangerous they become.

While you bring up a good point, this isn't about personal freedoms. Price represents a company - end of story. In THAT CONTEXT, company employees should censor themselves in order to reflect better on the company as a whole. Professionalism: being mature enough to realize that a company-affiliated media channel is, in fact, not your personal rant nest. Now, if this were indeed someone's private account, then sure - feel free to say what you please...and be prepared to deal with possible consequences in the form of people lashing back at you (free speech works both ways).But it is not a private account. That's part of the problem.

Archived