Prices for mounts?

SmirkDog.3160

@fungihoujo.8476 said:

@Vladish.3940 said:Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

There's like 10 hours of story in the entire game- like, do you play 5 minutes a week? 2g is a daily, frankly you can finish it by accident, to be playing that long and have never completed it once you'd have to have intentionally gone out of your way to avoid finishing it, mind boggling.

But y'know what, fine, you only do the story- you should feel relieved to know you'll never need the jackal or griffon.

Not sure why that post got removed but okay. So to repeat what I said:

Thank you for the feedback. You as well few other people realized I was misinformed (as I missed Kal Spiro's earlier post due to the constant overflow of judgmental comments just because I don't have ability to make gold like "average player" does), and corrected my misinformation. Thank you for it (about Jackal not being necessary for story progression). You are right, I feel relieved about the fact I don't need the last two mounts.

As for my time, yes, there are days where I only have limited time (sometimes 20 mins, which is when I explore maps) and sometimes and hour or two (which I commit to story. I actually have a permanent disability that causes me to have to take frequent breaks during the quests, which is why I play solo and take a lot longer time to finish something that may take you and some others, only 10 hours). And there are sometimes long periods of time when I can't play at all. I actually lead a busy life as well, and game will never be a priority. Thus, I only play it for the story and lore, that I have been involved in for many years (GW1 vet, when I was young enough to have time for full immersion).

Regardless, thanks for the feedback, and once again, thank you for correcting my misinformation. Cheers!

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was surprised to see that the mounts in game cost what they do but I was hardly discouraged by it. The Griffon is 250 gold of which I dont have ... but I will be saving for it and acquiring it when I do get the gold. The only reason I was surprised is that to me, doing the heart/required content seemed to be adequate payment enough for the mount but .... its Anet ... nothing worth having is cheap or easy or havent you been keeping up over the last five years? LOL

@Purgatori.3645 said:I was surprised to see that the mounts in game cost what they do but I was hardly discouraged by it. The Griffon is 250 gold of which I dont have ... but I will be saving for it and acquiring it when I do get the gold.

I don't think anyone in this thread has clarified this, but from what I understand it's 250 gold total. As in you have ten things to buy for 25 gold each. So you don't have to save up the whole amount to get the griffon, you can acquire it incrementally, which tends to be easier for many people. You might as well work on doing the parts you can so as you get the spare gold for each 25 gold purchase you can feel the progress.

I'm surprised people are complaining about the jackal costing 20g. This isn't even an issue, if you play the game (or do dailies for 10 days), you'll make 20g in no time. There are a handful of ways to make gold, and as long as your not spending gold on stuff you don't need (which a lot of people don't admit to) then you'll save up 20g in no time.

If your a new player, then you should find out the ways people make gold. Do a quick google search, your bound to find something involving the silverwastes.For those complaining about 20g and are casual players, well. Its an MMORPG, nothing comes to you free. If you have at least an hour to spare for at least 2~3 times a week then there is no reason to complain cause you can get 20g easily in that amount of time. If your desperate enough, go laurels->T6 mats. There is your 20g. Stop complaining.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Why the kitten is the Jackal 20g? Did I miss the part of the story that gives me enough to pay for it? I had to borrow it from a friend, and even then I don't have enough trade contracts despite not spending them on anything but mounts. Why is this so expensive?

And don't come to me about how it was so cheap for you because you have 3000g burning a hole in your pocket. Not everyone just has that much gold lying around.

You're a casual gamer ? good, so you have the dayli connection rewards : mystic coins + laurels. The former by itself will give you the required gold in no time as other players are craving for them.

And this is from your own playstyle without any time investment.End of discussion, anything else is just trolling or out of the point advice.

I usually come to the defense of players who are struggling, but I can't co-sign this. One of the fundamentals in any RPG (especially MMOs) is earning rewards and accomplishments, and in this case it boils down to making gold, which is largely risk free in this game. You don't have to do any difficult content to have financial success in GW2: just the will to go out there and do it.

Some examples of easy gold with low risk:

Rich iron vein runs.Flax farming.Pop into VB night bosses and the AB meta for two Amalgamated Gemstones a day.Silverwastes RIBA/Chest Runs.Lake Doric leather farming.Gathering coral in Bitterfrost Frontier and Siren's Landing; Bitterfrost chest runs are also decent.Iron Marches Luminous Dust farming.Timberline Falls Engraved Totem farming.Convert Laurels into liquid gold.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Why the kitten is the Jackal 20g? Did I miss the part of the story that gives me enough to pay for it? I had to borrow it from a friend, and even then I don't have enough trade contracts despite not spending them on anything but mounts. Why is this so expensive?

And don't come to me about how it was so cheap for you because you have 3000g burning a hole in your pocket. Not everyone just has that much gold lying around.

13 days of daily will get you 26g; you need 25g to unlock the core mounts. So even if you don't have 3000g burning a hole in your pocket, you can choose to have that much gold lying around.

Doing your daily fractal t1 and daily PvE or PvP will usually net you around 3-5g+ a day.

@FLEUR.7458 said:If you are one of the posters on this topic that has stated you play "casually" and "only do the story" then you don't need the Jackal or the Griffon. They have no use in the story, and they don't make the story missions easier.

Yeah, I think that has been established by now and at this point it feels like this discussion is just a gathering spot for trolls to insult other people for not having as much gold as them. No problem with extra features being a gold sink at all.

@Vladish.3940 said:As I said before, your statements only show vague acknowledgement of the actual content you're quoting. You either didn't read it/skimmed it, lack the understanding of it, or at this point are trying to desperately troll, and regardless, my conversation with you is over. Cheers.

I'll try to simplify it for you then: I agree with the underlying point, that gold sinks should be reserved for non-core elements of the game, such as achievements and cosmetics. Basics, like the story and basic progression (masteries, leveling, elite trait acquisition) should not be gated behind gold costs. It shouldn't matter if it's convenient or not.

Everything else I wrote is about the rhetoric. Especially about the quickness at which some people have been to digress the conversation into calling people names if they don't agree.

If you aren't doing Silverwastes, you might want to look at lfg and do only organized groups.

Feel free to ask me why in game.

I guess mentioning that there is a gem store exactly for these kind of situations is in order. Also if you really have been playing for 5 years, you might have made enough achievement points to have gotten some free gems which you could exchange for gold.

The game itsself is very casual and casual friendly. The main problem people seemed to have was you bringing up some facts which are simply not true:

• you haven't been playing for 5 years. You've owned the game for 5 years.
  • even an occasional 20 minutes is enough to get so much done that you'd easily have some gold to spare. Maybe not the full 250g, but certainly the 20g.
  • clear out your material bank and sell off not used materials (in essence you shouldn't hold on to any with the amount of time you have at hand)
  • trade contracts will be the fare bigger issue for someone with your limited time, unless you have 0 ability to hold on to gold

Holy... and I thought I was poor... I absolutely hate farming/grinding but even I rarely drop below 300g. Even if you only play the story you will drop more then enough stuff to make 25g in what? 4-7 days? If you do any event on your way from one part of the story to the next you basically "accidently" make 1g or more depending on how lucky you get with your loot. Farm Ori ores / ancient wood on your way from one story to the next and you have another 1g or so... And you probably have at least 80g in your material storage.

Actually, you don't even need to play the game to accumulate 20 gold, just log in, take you "thanks for showing up" freebie and log out. Do that 1-2 minute process for 1 month and you have 55 Laurels. Buy medium bags of crafting materials with the Laurels and sell the materials, average around 75-80 silver per Laurel you spent so you're most likely going to get 40+ gold from that. And that's not counting Mystic coins etc which can be sold for plenty as well...

Every player can easily buy the Jackal is they want to.

After buying the springer and skimmer, I had about 16 gold and 150 trade contracts. Played through quite a few events, opened a few chests and sold some of my mats from the bank to get enough for the jackal. I feel the pain, really, but trade contracts drop like rain in a monsoon if you successfully complete events (also check if you have piles of trade contracts in your inventory), gold on the other hand is still not dropping enough for my tastes as a casual player.

Imagine my surprise when i learned about the cost of the griffon (spoiler, i bought gems to trade for gold cause no way in hell was I getting the griffon within 2 years otherwise).

@castlemanic.3198 said:After buying the springer and skimmer, I had about 16 gold and 150 trade contracts. Played through quite a few events, opened a few chests and sold some of my mats from the bank to get enough for the jackal. I feel the pain, really, but trade contracts drop like rain in a monsoon if you successfully complete events (also check if you have piles of trade contracts in your inventory), gold on the other hand is still not dropping enough for my tastes as a casual player.

Imagine my surprise when i learned about the cost of the griffon (spoiler, i bought gems to trade for gold cause no way in hell was I getting the griffon within 2 years otherwise).

Try to convertcontracts and karma for leathers or other materials. Also dont use unidentified items, but sell em as unidentified.If you have some1 in guild which shares his personal home, go for it.Then, 3 daily quests and tequatl should help as Well.

@Vladish.3940 said:Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

Gonna call BS on that one. You get 2g from dailies alone...

Boggles my mind how people think they can say the most ludicrous things and that people will believe them or even sympathize with them. Enough time has been spent on the forums to make 200g...

@Shirlias.8104 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:After buying the springer and skimmer, I had about 16 gold and 150 trade contracts. Played through quite a few events, opened a few chests and sold some of my mats from the bank to get enough for the jackal. I feel the pain, really, but trade contracts drop like rain in a monsoon if you successfully complete events (also check if you have piles of trade contracts in your inventory), gold on the other hand is still not dropping enough for my tastes as a casual player.

Try to convertcontracts and karma for leathers or other materials. Also dont use unidentified items, but sell em as unidentified.If you have some1 in guild which shares his personal home, go for it.Then, 3 daily quests and tequatl should help as Well.

Whoa what? I need to take a look at more vendors then cause i never saw that happen. I know about the season 3 unbound magic heart vendors for mats, but i didn't realise there trade contract or karma vendors for leathers and mats. Those would make life so much easier.

I'm the one in my guild who has the most progression in terms of home instance mats =p. it's a personal guild but still.

Really appreciate this advice, would you mind letting me know where the karma/trade contract mat vendors are?

@castlemanic.3198 said:

Whoa what? I need to take a look at more vendors then cause i never saw that happen. I know about the season 3 unbound magic heart vendors for mats, but i didn't realise there trade contract or karma vendors for leathers and mats. Those would make life so much easier.

I'm the one in my guild who has the most progression in terms of home instance mats =p. it's a personal guild but still.

Really appreciate this advice, would you mind letting me know where the karma/trade contract mat vendors are?

Any of the PoF heart vendors will have a tab for "Today's Crates" and you can choose which type of material you want to get.

@The Revenant.4970 said:

Gonna call BS on that one. You get 2g from dailies alone...

Boggles my mind how people think they can say the most ludicrous things and that people will believe them or even sympathize with them.

How does "exclusively story elements" = "dailies"?

Just, help me understand here, how exclusively doing story steps, which in no way, shape or form intersect with dailies, helps you do dailies?

@Donari.5237 said:

@castlemanic.3198 said:

Any of the PoF heart vendors will have a tab for "Today's Crates" and you can choose which type of material you want to get.

O_o goes back into the game

Archived