Prices for mounts?

SmirkDog.3160

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@SmirkDog.3160 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:You can literally make that money in like 2 hours...

So you don't mind spotting me 20g if it's so easy? You must have like a million by now, so what's the problem right?

Let me ask you something.How do you justify being given this amount of gold/mount for free by either other players or Anet?Is the answer just because you don't think you should have to work for it?Because others have it and you don't?

If you spent the amount of time in game that you did here complaining, you would probably have the gold by now.

I have never ever grinded on this game, i rarely do dailes, and i only do things i consider fun on gw2.Im casual as fuck.i have shit to do irl.But ive seemingly amassed 600 liquid gold of mats according to gw2 efficiency in 2 months.This has to be a troll post, just has to. There is no excuse.I probably made about 15ish gold in the last 3 days doing almost exclusively pof story and some map exploration.Im only on the 2nd map and i just finished hallowed ground yesterday.No excuse

@Vladish.3940 said:Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

Wow, I consider myself a casual gamer and I'm grumbling about not exceeding the 800g mark.

Make use of the trading post. You might be surprised what things are worth. All yellow quality gear is 30sp. Most orbs are 20sp. Several lodestones are worth a lot. More unique HoT mats are worth a significant amount. Level 60 Crests are worth 20-30sp. If you've been collecting any of these, and not just vendoring them, you could easily have 5gp and not even know it.

@akenoyuki.8210 said:

@Veprovina.4876 said:You can get 5-10 G a day from fractals... 20g isn't really that much... And i'ts something you'll have forever, you pay for it once.

On that topic, how much is the Griffin?

Griffin / Griffon will cost you 250g :s (Also need to finish PoF Story and do Collection)

Ouch! Yeah, i'm not getting the thing anytime soon then. It's not impossible but i need to craft my ascended set first, wich will cost me more than the mount over time but i need it before the mount. I can afford the jackal...

As for the 20 or so gold, what story are you playing? I made more than that just being in Heart of Thorns maps, selling yellows on TP and salvaging the rest, HoT maps are filled with loot and since the story progress is gated behind you getting a specific mastery, you need to grind them a bit to progress through the story. So it's not like story doesn't prepare you for what comes next...

Also, it's an MMO, some things here are long term projects, you can't expect everything to be instant gratification and move on, for some people getting a legendary is a long term project, for others i'ts getting 20g for a mount. They're equally valid, it just depends on that person's playstyle. If you're a casual player, then make that 20g your project and work on it. With casual play it's doable in a week or less.

Seriously, stop overreacting on the prices, it's not that much.

@Vladish.3940 said:Personally I am never getting jackal of the griffon mounts. In five years of CASUAL gaming, I have never been over 2g mark. At this point I don't know if I will be even able to afford a skimmer :/ Not everyone is interested in fractals or raids, or farming. Some of us only play story elements, and I mean, exclusively those. And there is nowhere near enough gold to be made there.

You're so full of it. If you do the daily, which takes at MOST 15min depending on the WvW option, that's 2g right there.

If you play story elements then you've probably gathered materials. Open up your bank and start selling what you've collected.

There's no excuse for not being able to make money in this game. Back before HoT, sure, you had to be creative. But since HoT they made it stupid easy to make money. You're literally not even trying. If you even put the effort into completing the daily missions, you'd be making 14g/week, and could have been doing that since they implemented that change.

• Do your daily missions
  • Do a few world bosses including Tequatl (level 80 rare [yellow] gear sells for about 30+ silver on TP)
  • Sell some of the extra mats you have on Trading Post (some of the lower tier mats sell well)
  • Trade in some laurels for Tier 6 mats and sell those on Trade Post
  • A mystic coin sells for over ~~1g ~~ 90s on TP [[edited - price has dropped a bit]]

You are probably sitting on 100s of gold right this moment.

This thread underscores the completely bent out of shape perspective some players have over reward. Especially that one guy complaining about never having more than 2g. Really? Never? You never even considered doing the dailies which take 15 minutes to finish? Come on. These are the same players that no doubt complained about HoT requiring them to actually know their class, and the creature they were fighting. 20g is nothing, 250g is a moderate amount. I doubt I will get the Gryphon any time soon, as I want to buy a commander's tag instead, but the other prices are actually pretty cheap.

I honestly don't know what to tell you.Seriously, the acquisition of currency in this game is easier than any other mmo I have ever played.

I may have the regular mounts in the next 2-4 weeks, based on my game play. I'm enjoying the content and trying to complete maps as I go. I'm a little under 300g at the moment, but I usually float between 150 and 300 with dailies, crafting, collection chasing and farming all playing a role.

I'm not a huge fan of the cost for the mounts. The 1g and 4g costs aren't terrible, but 20g seems higher than necessary. One comment mentioned gold sink blended with new content time sink, which seems like an accurate description of the intention. While not outrageous, it seems like an irritant, which is a strange thing to add to a game. However, sous-chef...

Many people play in different ways, so having 20g when you're standing in front of the vendor with a Jackal may not happen. Knowing this now will hopefully help those without the funds to arrive with cash in hand (spread the word!). There are a lot of suggestions here on how to get that gold. Personally, I made 40g relatively quickly by crafting some upgrade items out of ectos and account bound resources that were gathering dust. I was just looking up recipes on the Wiki for things that I had laying around.

To those without the gold, I hope you can find a fun for you and relatively quick way to get the gold for your mount.

@Draknar.5748 said:

You're so full of it. If you do the daily, which takes at MOST 15min depending on the WvW option, that's 2g right there.

If you play story elements then you've probably gathered materials. Open up your bank and start selling what you've collected.

There's no excuse for not being able to make money in this game. Back before HoT, sure, you had to be creative. But since HoT they made it stupid easy to make money. You're literally not even trying. If you even put the effort into completing the daily missions, you'd be making 14g/week, and could have been doing that since they implemented that change.

Being forced into doing things you don't like/having to stop the story because you encounter a pay wall, is a bad design. I don't use TP. I save all crafting mats for myself so that I can work on my own professions, as such I don't buy on it either. I only farm as I PLAY the story, which means I have just enough mats to work on my own stuff and not enough to sale (5 years and one profession maxed, many more to work on). WvW and dailies are a boring job, and that's not what I play the game for. I shouldn't have to be forced into interrupting my story in order farm currency I have little care for beyond having enough to salvage my materials; so now I have to choose between working and supporting my own professions and WASTING all the stuff I have been using just so I can progress story? Bad game design. Limited time means I only want to play content I enjoy, which is story for me.

@Glacial.9516 said:I think the gold cost for the mounts is pretty silly. They're mastery tracks, they really don't need to be gated behind gold. I know, 20g isn't -that- hard to get for a one-time purchase, but it's still a very strange place for a gold sink. And I think 250g for the griffon is completely absurd. I doubt I'll even buy that, hopefully there's no area that only the Griffon can reach! I wouldn't pay 250g for any of the HoT masteries except gliding, and even then I'd do it reluctantly after months of being bitter over the design choice. So. Who knows, maybe that's precisely what I'll do with the Griffon.

It is one of those odd choices that doesn't match with a previous system.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:

@Maikimaik.1974 said:You can literally make that money in like 2 hours...

So you don't mind spotting me 20g if it's so easy? You must have like a million by now, so what's the problem right?

I've been playing since the three day advance start and I too have one of the oldest toons in the game. I remember when Abyss cost only 2g. Things and prices change. That life. It's also MMO life. I don't sit at my computer and play all day. I make money where I can and I don't spend it left and right. That is why I have so much.

The mounts are priced just fine IMO. You actually have to work to get them. Trade contracts and gold. And I don't say this because I have the money, but because I worked to get the money and the contracts.

I am one of those "ones that has more than 3000g burning a whole in my pocket." I like helping my friends with gold and items. When my best friend started playing last year, I sent him 100g just to get him started.

I would never send gold to someone just because they asked for it because they were too unwilling to work to get it. Especially those who are also not particularly nice to other players/forum posters.

@blambidy.3216 said:Ok before y'all complain. Look at other games ok. Speaking of eso. A mount is crowns or gems. We would be paying 80 to 100 real money cash for these mounts all together but 1,2,4,20 and 250 gold. That's a good price. We can farm and get these mounts better than paying real money

ESO isn't really comparable in this sense though.

All of their mounts are identical - they're just skins for the same thing. You could have the most amazingly cool looking, exclusive mount in the game like the tiger only 1st year subscribers could get, or the elk which cost £20 or the brand new DLC Collectors Edition exclusive wolf and it will be identical in absolutely every way to the basic brown horse everyone can buy for 10,000g. (Note: In ESO 1g is the smallest unit of currency, so this is like 1g in GW2 money.) Or the white/palomino/back & white horses which come free with various versions of the game.

So they're more comparable to gliders than GW2 mounts which each have unique abilities.

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Draknar.5748 said:

Being forced into doing things you don't like/having to stop the story because you encounter a pay wall, is a bad design. I don't use TP. I save all crafting mats for myself so that I can work on my own professions, as such I don't buy on it either. I only farm as I PLAY the story, which means I have just enough mats to work on my own stuff and not enough to sale (5 years and one profession maxed, many more to work on). WvW and dailies are a boring job, and that's not what I play the game for. I shouldn't have to be forced into interrupting my story in order farm currency I have little care for beyond having enough to salvage my materials; so now I have to choose between working and supporting my own professions and WASTING all the stuff I have been using just so I can progress story? Bad game design. Limited time means I only want to play content I enjoy, which is story for me.

Um, why are you working on crafting?If you are only really interested in the story, crafting sounds like an utterly pointless pursuit for you.

Like pretty much everything in life, in this game you have a choice. Noone's forcing you to do anything you don't like.The idea of you "having to stop because you encounter a pay wall," in the context of progressing your story in this context, is fatuous.I suppose, if you've never made more than 2g in 5 years, then it could seem like a bit of a hurdle. But to most people, it's simply playing the game.Like I said before... I really don't know what to tell you.I am even impressed that, in 5 years of playing this game, you have somehow managed to avoid making more then 2g.That's some kind of major dedication to not playing the game as intented, or so it seems to me.I mean, this game practically rewards you for breathing.

But, whatever, I guess. Keep playing (or not playing) how you choose.Just accept that, by now (i.e. by the time of the 2nd expansion, after three living story releases, five years of repeating annual festivals and a potential of 1,048g from dailies to date) it seems understandable if the devs assumed that most players venturing into PoF would have more than 2g at their disposal; enough to afford to progress this story. It's really not an unreasonable assumption.And any brand new player, who only plays the game for two days but takes the 10mins or so necessary to do their dailies, will have twice as much gold as you. Think about that. Instead of complaining on the forums, how about investing that time in accumulating the modest amount of gold it will require to obtain the things you desire?It's not complicated.

Of course, maybe you've just been trolling (shrugs).~TG

PS - I can almost guarantee you that a lot of the stuff you have accumulated in your materials bank will be of no immediate use to you (I don't even really know why you're bothering with crafting anyway, since it has nothing at all to do with the story); the way this game is designed actively encourages you to sell the things you don't want in order to buy the things you do want; seriously, that's the entire purpose of the collective TP model (as well as a gold sink, of course).

@Vladish.3940 said:

@Draknar.5748 said:

Having to play a game to get game things is actually the best game design.

As a casual player, from the early launch, I've still never had more than 200g in the bank. Don't have a legendary, don't have ascended gear. Playing casually and just enjoying the game doesn't make a lot of coin, but even so, making enough for the first 4 mounts isn't difficult. I honestly can't even comprehend how in several years of playing you could never have more than 2g.

@SmirkDog.3160 said:Why the kitten is the Jackal 20g? Did I miss the part of the story that gives me enough to pay for it? I had to borrow it from a friend, and even then I don't have enough trade contracts despite not spending them on anything but mounts. Why is this so expensive?

And don't come to me about how it was so cheap for you because you have 3000g burning a hole in your pocket. Not everyone just has that much gold lying around.

What kind of a rock did some of you people crawl out from?? You're complaining about 20g to buy the 4th mount? That's an absolutely TRIVIAL amount to the most casual of soccer-mom players. The expansion-related complaining is becoming so over the top. PoF has provoked all of the most histrionic and ridiculous people in the community to pour onto the boards and vie for the title of "most aggrieved snowflake"

@MadFlea.4596 said:I'm actually pretty disgusted. Had the advertising for pof (sold partly on the promise of mounts) stated that you would have to pay the equivalent of another 20 euros on top of the purchase price, I wouldn't have bought it.For those that say do a few of this, do a few of that, sell mats etc. and you'll have the gold in no time: I've been playing almost solidly (8-10 hours a day) for the past 3 months. In these months I purchased HOT, Season 3 and then made enough gold in game to cover the cost of Season 2 and I currently have 120 gold on my character from selling mats, but which I also need for ascended stuff. Time-gated, ludicrous amounts of mats required - no casual player will be able to manage this.I was already miffed at 'having' to get season 2 for enough Tyria mastery points. This takes the biscuit.Starting work again soon, so will be back to casual play.Most likely casually playing another game.

If you're so casual that 20g is too much for a permanent mount, ascended is definitely useless for you.You only need ascended for high tier fractals, and it helps a little bit with raids. And even then there are plenty of ways to get them without spending too much, or anything at all.20g is really not that bad. Even for casuals.

Any time I get a rare item, I sell it instantly on the TP for no less than 25s each. I salvage all my greens and blues, and sell off the materials I don't need for crafting. I'm sure you have tons of materials in your collection after 5 years of casual gaming to sell off for a tidy profit. :)

I hate to break it to you, but many things if not most, end-game are way beyond 20g. So likely 20g to the average player is just another days earnings. And it's not difficult to get 5g or 10g a day, so 20 isn't much more. Craftable backpeices and crafted gear alone costs 100g+ unless you've earned it through fractals or other means.And after playing through and finishing the story and doing a short dungeon with a guildy, I have 400+ of those trade contract thingys (currency). So that's not abyssmally hard either. Just spend some time over a weekend or day off doing events with friends/guildies and you can easily rack up gold and map currency.

Archived