Best fit for revenant class?

Kovac.4372

I'm thinking of making a revenant.

How does a male human fit for the style, lore and overall feel of the revenant?

I heard it's supposed to be a dark knight type of class, but can I outfit it for the opposite? Like a shining knight kind of look, similar to guardian?

What do your revenants look like?

It is kind of more of a storyteller/skald type of character in my eyes. You’re basically being possessed by various (in)famous characters through history and using their abilities to fight.

Ironically, with the lack of a proper Norn Legend to channel, Norn kinda fits for it as a result.

@DeanBB.4268 said:Only your imagination limits your options. Any race or sex works.

Well sure, but some combinations fit more naturally than others.

For example, did you play a ranger with a greatsword? The animations fit perfectly for norn characters (bear stuff).

Charr are traditionally warriors, even better with the addition of the rifle.

On the other side ... necro sylvari work only if you dedicate it to be an evil sort of character ... and asura warriors just shouldn't happen.

@Kovac.4372 said:

@DeanBB.4268 said:Only your imagination limits your options. Any race or sex works.

Well sure, but some combinations fit more naturally than others.

For example, did you play a ranger with a greatsword? The animations fit perfectly for norn characters (bear stuff).

Charr are traditionally warriors, even better with the addition of the rifle.

On the other side ... necro sylvari work only if you dedicate it to be an evil sort of character ... and asura warriors just shouldn't happen.

So what exactly are your criteria? There isn't much history to them, since they only appeared with Rytlock for HoT. Animations are subjective. And are you looking to play pure revenant, or herald, or renegade? Cuz by what you're suggesting, charr should only play renegade.

Plus, I find it hilarious that asura warriors drop norn, giants, and dragons. How can that not be a thing?!?!

I feel like any race could work for a revenant,Ofcourse a human would be more logical to channel Shiro,and a charr would be more logical to channel the newest one, hell the name of the elite is even a renegade.

But really anything goes because there's a centaur a dwarf and a literal demon you can channel and none of those are playable races, well demon is debatable because I feel like every race could turn out to be a demon.But to go off the dark knight or shining knight path a bit, you could make an asura and have them just be a general ol' scientist who likes to experiment with mist energies and something went wrong,Or a sylvari scholar who was just really interested in studying the afterlife and got so caught up in it they started channeling spirits.

Anything works, be creative!!

@"Kovac.4372" said:On the other side ... necro sylvari work only if you dedicate it to be an evil sort of character ... and asura warriors just shouldn't happen.

I take it that you never read the books seeing that there's a sylvari necro in the first one, and a hammer wielding asura warrior was in the third one. That asura took down a charr warrior while saying my favorite one-liner. I don't remember the quote right now, but I think I can look it up for you later if you want me to.

As for the dark knight thing, when I hear the words "dark knight," I think of the Final Fantasy job. The closest thing that this game series has to that is a GW1 W/N sac bomber using a sword. The second closest will most likely be a reaper using a greatsword. Nither one is really a close fit though.

As for looks, what skins you can use on a warrior or guardian can be used on a rev or vise versa.

As for race, choose what you want. In the end, all that really matters is if you're happy with what you made.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions or if you want that quote.

@"Kovac.4372" said:I'm thinking of making a revenant.

How does a male human fit for the style, lore and overall feel of the revenant?

I heard it's supposed to be a dark knight type of class, but can I outfit it for the opposite? Like a shining knight kind of look, similar to guardian?

What do your revenants look like?

I have two main Revs. One is a renegade, and is a dead ringer for the human female character creation screen Revenant, wearing Mistward-skinned armour in the default colours.

The other is also human female, a herald in Mistward ("real" Mistward, no less), but dyed in a mix of pinkish red and yellow with the "underlayer" in a dark grey-black colour and the blindfold hidden. She uses the Ugly Stick skin on her hammer, and a pair of swords in "Chain Sword". Delightfully noisy.

And I have one "lore-compatible" Rev. A charr, duh. (The "Ur-Revenant" is a charr, after all.)

@"Randulf.7614" said:

I think Norn works just fine. They worship the Spirits and the interaction with the Legends has some similar thematic links

Actually, I would argue that Norns are the race least likely to become Revenants. Norn are all about going out and forging their own legends, and following someone else's legend, literally, kind of goes against that.

In terms of "best fit," I'd advocate for charr for multiple reasons (one was the first revenant, after all), but really it's possible to justify just about anything becoming one.

revenant is a "light" heavy armor uhuh

for my point of view, i like it being light and not too "armored" and actually i'm more in the "mist" skin such as Cinders dye - shadow abyss - OTHER dye (based on what color you like) I use illumination for now on the glowy parts (Sun aspect like since it was four wind festival)

but I like the glint dyes too - the crystal dyes fits well i think.

The fact is I'm a salad player but i found human morphology fits better

@Torzini.1523 said:

I think Norn works just fine. They worship the Spirits and the interaction with the Legends has some similar thematic links

Actually, I would argue that Norns are the race least likely to become Revenants. Norn are all about going out and forging their own legends, and following someone else's legend, literally, kind of goes against that.

Except that the way you forge your Legend is extremely flexible. You could literally have a Norn who’s trying to build her Legend based around taking credit of other people’s work and it would be “legit” as long as she is good at it. Raven approves of her cleverness.

A class based around channeling and communicating with Legendary figures like the Revenant is exceptionally Norn-y indeed. In a way, the Revenant could be seen as a Shaman/Skaldic figure.

@"Randulf.7614" said:Q9HdvAx.jpg

Though I might agree ... I could not imagine any norn of mine looking like that. It's just immersion-breaking. Try googling "guild wars norn" and look at images and you'll know what I think norn should look like.

@Kovac.4372 said:

@"Randulf.7614" said:
Q9HdvAx.jpg

Though I might agree ... I could not imagine any norn of mine looking like that. It's just immersion-breaking. Try googling "guild wars norn" and look at images and you'll know what I think norn should look like.

I played Gw1 for many years. I wasn't also suggesting anyone copy my look. You asked what people's Rev's looked like, so I posted.

@Oglaf.1074 said:

Except that the way you forge your Legend is extremely flexible. You could literally have a Norn who’s trying to build her Legend based around taking credit of other people’s work and it would be “legit” as long as she is good at it. Raven approves of her cleverness.

A class based around channeling and communicating with Legendary figures like the Revenant is exceptionally Norn-y indeed. In a way, the Revenant could be seen as a Shaman/Skaldic figure.

That's why I said that you could reasonably justify any race as becoming a revenant, including Norns. Sure, there is certainly no reason there can't be exceptions. But, speaking from a whole, Norns seem least likely to become revenants to me. Even one of the skald NPCs you can talk to in-game (I forget exactly where she is) tells you that she wants to forge her own legend one day, and not just retell other people's.

@Torzini.1523 said:

Even one of the skald NPCs you can talk to in-game (I forget exactly where she is) tells you that she wants to forge her own legend one day, and not just retell other people's.

That’s just her not wanting to remain a skald on a personal level. Another skald could just as likely want to forge his legend by becoming the bestest reteller of other people’s legends - which is just as legit.

Norns on a racial/cultural level are, as I was saying, very flexible about that stuff. It is all down to each individual Norn.

As such, in combination with their fascination/admiration of heroes (and villains) I definitely do not see Norns being discouraged from becoming Revenants. Quite the opposite.

@"Kovac.4372" said:What do your revenants look like?

Mine is a human female, white hair in a bob, with bright white and red armor, the newish storm gloves, wielding a unicorn short bow and trailing rainbows and rainbow hoof prints. I do not consider her a dark knight.

Sorry, I can't be bothered to post a picture unless someone finds it absolutely necessary to see it.

Oh, and no "role play history" involved.

But I would say, for a Human Renegade, you could come up with a backstory for a human with a horrid history with the charr, so she has enslaved these spirits and twists them to do her will. But I don't think that would account for some of the "jabbering" you hear from time to time.

You can make any race/gender fit using your imagination and roleplay.

Overall both charr and norn fits the theme of revenant.

Rytlock Brimstone was a warrior charr who became the first revenant after reappering from a mist portal. So it definetely fits.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rytlock_Brimstone

Norns have lot of thoughts about the Mist, so they lore fit.
I warn you that making a norn you must like their animations and the way the walk which are kinda clunky, but some people likes it, so you have to try it out yourself and have a feel of it, otherwise you will end to dislike probably the profession too because you don't like how the race do the skill animations.

With humans you can't never go wrong, they are jack of all trades and every profession can fit human race. Maybe they are a bit overused, so if you wanna do different try out something else, maybe even something odd like sylvari or asura revenant.

Archived