why is there no personal housing in GW2 yet

bara yaoi.3824

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"bara yaoi.3824" said:please anet add player housing in one of the next living world episodes or in the next expansion we need it and u would make a lot of money!!

I can already see the "decoration packs" with 100 different decorations inside that you only get 1 at random each time you open one. Of course only available on the gem store.

I think that would be an obvious and not to hurtful starting point to any housing concept, with the ability to craft up , scavenge and trade for other stuff... but I would be more concerned they will just throw another 100 levels to scribe and push the never ending grind to decorate a single painting or a coat hanger... if they do, it will kill interest as fast as it did for some of us with Guild Halls

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@bara yaoi.3824 said:seriously anet u would make a lot of revenue off of this and then ncsoft would be less disappointed by the annual earnings

im not talking about the home instance players already have thats a horrible form of housing

i mean fully customizable housing where you can personally decorate your house and do things in it like in FFXIV or Runescape

lots of players want their own houses and spaces to call their own and housing and decorating would be a good side activity when not farming istan or silverwastes or doing raids and fractals

please anet add player housing in one of the next living world episodes or in the next expansion we need it and u would make a lot of money!!

Be cause this shallow pile of crap content is the most unimportant thing in an MMO. I would never use it, never care. If you want this crap go play Sims.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

@bara yaoi.3824 said:seriously anet u would make a lot of revenue off of this and then ncsoft would be less disappointed by the annual earnings

im not talking about the home instance players already have thats a horrible form of housing

i mean fully customizable housing where you can personally decorate your house and do things in it like in FFXIV or Runescape

lots of players want their own houses and spaces to call their own and housing and decorating would be a good side activity when not farming istan or silverwastes or doing raids and fractals

please anet add player housing in one of the next living world episodes or in the next expansion we need it and u would make a lot of money!!

Be cause this shallow pile of crap content is the most unimportant thing in an MMO. I would never use it, never care. If you want this crap go play Sims.

It's not the most unimportant thing in an MMO but it's probably the most unimportant thing for you in an MMO. Just because you hate it doesn't mean everybody else or most people do to. You're not the template of the player base.

Look at how many MMOs have housing these days and there's the proof that you're wrong. Apparently it's something that enough people want to make it interesting for them to do.

Do try to look a bit beyond your own preferences once in a while, it's enlightening really. In the end you will find people here with different things on what they find the most unimportant in a game and that's the whole point. An MMO needs to appeal to various player groups to keep a solid player base, but you also need to realise that whatever you add, there will be a bunch of people saying it's terrible and a waste of resources. No matter what it is.

@ProtoGunner.4953 said:

Everything depends on how the housing will be implemented.Same things were spoken about mounts, yet anet made the best mounts of all the MMOs out there.If the housing offers some reward system, similar to the achievement system and some other interesting mechanics, it will be absolutely brilliant.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@Ephemiel.5694 said:Because, out of everything this game can add and needs, player housing is nowhere near the top of the list.

whats at the top of the list? please tell.

Living World, WvW Alliance, Class Rebalancing, Raids, Fractals, Mount Skins, Black Lion Weapon Skins are the most obvious ones

places to afk? you already got the wooden stool, so just sit on it; PS: you aint gonna get Arthus' Frozen Throne

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"bara yaoi.3824" said:seriously anet u would make a lot of revenue off of this and then ncsoft would be less disappointed by the annual earnings

i think most people dont really give a kitten about housing just base on home instance and guild hall usage

especially guild hall, it's player housing on a bigger scale, but look at how much time people spent their time in there? most people go in for daily node farm, guild buff, daily guild credit merchant and runs off; all those chairs, decorations, custom made JP / race race pretty much sits there gathering dust

so... you can pretty much call your Guild Hall your own house since it's empty most of the time, anyone from your guild can just pop in to visit

the only player housing in games i've actually spent a lot of time in is Black Desert Online, because there are crafting professions that can only be done inside, and you can leave your toon there all day just crafting all day to make gold while afk 99.99% of the time

the only reason people care about house decorations in BDO is there's a point system attached to it, and the person with the top point of a house gets to access the banking node in the city where they can throw in silver to generate more silver; hence most housings are decorations storage rooms, people throw decorations to every inch of floor space that's available

Remember the name of the game is "Guild Wars", not "Barbie's Doll House"

I disagree. Dimensions ( which is Housing in RIft) was a big feature. When the game went F2P I spent most of my money in buying stuff for my House Instances I made.

here are video examples of how cool this feature is.

probably a better demonstration

looks like our Guild Halls to me, except with a make out room that's not working

you might well just go play Second Life if you are into those virtual actions

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

@GreyWolf.8670 said:Do people really want to sit in their
garrisons
personal housing all day instead of being out in the world and playing? I just never understood the point of it.

Actually, player housing fits GW2 very well imo.. it's predominantly an extension of the fashion wars the game is geared to (no pun intended, at least not this early in the morning). Allowing players to take their fashion sense into decorating mode can lead to some interesting and fun things, but sure it won't suit everyone.SWTOR has a pretty decent player housing system and is a great extension to good gameplay. Yes sure it could take players away from major cities and it could make some maps feel a little less populated, but that's something that ANET can address in otherways.Player housing should not be looked at or targeted to be new content, more filler content, but when the players open the floodgates to their creative juices... who knows what might unfold. Personally I think of the fun I've had decorating my properties in SWTOR, but then think of the GW2 Guild Hall debacle and hope that if they do introduce some player housing , not to even go near the same concept they used with GH.

Well, let's be careful ... Fashion wars is about your character, housing is not. You don't wear or hold or have a house on your person. I get excited when I get a skin I can put on my character because I can see how it interacts with my character .... putting a chair in a personal instance does not have the same impact.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@Ephemiel.5694 said:Because, out of everything this game can add and needs, player housing is nowhere near the top of the list.

Living World, WvW Alliance, Class Rebalancing, Raids, Fractals, Mount Skins, Black Lion Weapon Skins are the most obvious ones

places to afk? you already got the wooden stool, so just sit on it; PS: you aint gonna get Arthus' Frozen Throne

In that order? Cause I'm pretty sure gemstore skins are much higher than raids and fractals.

@segman.3560 said:

In that order? Cause I'm pretty sure gemstore skins are much higher than raids and fractals.

To be fair they are all different teams, so they can do things like Raids, at the same time they are doing weapon skins, rebalancing, LW, and WvW.

@Dante.1763 said:

To be fair they are all different teams, so they can do things like Raids, at the same time they are doing weapon skins, rebalancing, LW, and WvW.

But the company decides where which project gets more money and people to make content. Now look how fast mount skins are released and compare it to raids. Priorities are very clear when you follow the money :)

@crepuscular.9047 said:

Well I don't play Raids. I don't WvW. I don't do Fractals. I don't need mount skins. Living world is too vague because that could mean a lot of things since living world are basically patches with a variety of content like story, new map(s), new items, masteries etc. Class rebalancing needs to happen regularly anyways no matter what you do so that's more of a maintenance feature than a new content feature and black lion skins will probably come out with the next LS anyways.

So your list doesn't do much for me. You'll just have to accept that people have different lists and yours is not superior.

@segman.3560 said:

But the company decides where which project gets more money and people to make content. Now look how fast mount skins are released and compare it to raids. Priorities are very clear when you follow the money :)

Not really clear to me: Raids take alot more coding, editing, Voice over, Map designing, encounter design, artwork than a simple mount reskin.

That is an entirely circumstantial thing to saydo you know there are enough people interested in spending money on this?I'm not talking about a few, or a lot, I'm talking about enough people.

Because every time it's 1 or 2 people praising the idea, and 500 comments following how housing would be a waste of time. we don't need 5 or 50, or 500 people spending money on housing accessories, we'd need 10,000 people or more occassionally buying something, and a handful of people buying lots and lots because they have money to waste

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"bara yaoi.3824" said:seriously anet u would make a lot of revenue off of this and then ncsoft would be less disappointed by the annual earnings

especially guild hall, it's player housing on a bigger scale, but look at how much time people spent their time in there? most people go in for daily node farm, guild buff, daily guild credit merchant and runs off; all those chairs, decorations, custom made JP / race race pretty much sits there gathering dustso... you can pretty much call your Guild Hall your own house since it's empty most of the time, anyone from your guild can just pop in to visit

I disagree. Dimensions ( which is Housing in RIft) was a big feature. When the game went F2P I spent most of my money in buying stuff for my House Instances I made.

looks like our Guild Halls to me, except with a make out room that's not working

Exactly my thoughts when I first saw the Guild Halls in GW2: GW2 Guild Halls are like "player housing" in other games, but for guilds.

So my guess is, "Sun's Refuge" will re-use some of the housing-features of Guild Halls.

@Dante.1763 said:

Not really clear to me: Raids take alot more coding, editing, Voice over, Map designing, encounter design, artwork than a simple mount reskin.

And knowing this, if they were priority, they would hire more people to make them. What is Raid/Fractals team currently? 6 people?

@segman.3560 said:

And knowing this, if they were priority, they would hire more people to make them. What is Raid/Fractals team currently? 6 people?

Its probably a bit more than that unless you have something specific they have said?

However, we do know that raids are /not/ a priorty due to them being only for a specific small portion of the games players, LW affects much much more and from what i know they have multiple teams working on those, and they still take 3 or more months to turn out if they get out on time.

Point being that it takes much more time do a map than it would take for the art team to turn out 300 skins, and them hiring more people wouldnt solve anything i dont think, ive found that piling more people onto a project just slows it down.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:Because it wasn't added to the game yet and the home instances were serving that purpose for the moment while more pressing features were being added.

Home instances are running out of space now, tho. They are getting crowed. It's time to get a new place to park the mounts.

They could just expand the home instance if they are solving a 'too crowded' problem. It makes no sense for them to create a WHOLE housing system just because of crowding home instances.

Just because something isn't in the game doesn't mean it's a good idea for Anet to add it. YOu actually said it exactly .. if housing is the next 'awesome' feature this game adds, then I'm afraid the devs are at the end of their creative potential.

Alls I can think at this point is that if we get housing, it better not be the stupid kind where you have a personal instance that collects junk with no activities or content.

Home instances are done in an old system. Updating them may not be an option.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

That is an entirely circumstantial thing to saydo you
know
there are enough people interested in spending money on this?I'm not talking about a few, or a lot, I'm talking about
enough
people.

Because every time it's 1 or 2 people praising the idea, and 500 comments following how housing would be a waste of time. we don't need 5 or 50, or 500 people spending money on housing accessories, we'd need 10,000 people or more occassionally buying something, and a handful of people buying lots and lots because they have money to waste

It's not circumstantial, it's false. Revenue for Q2 2018 is 50% higher than Q2 2017. Also note that revenue was consistently going down also after HoT came out. So after the spike in sales for HoT, quarterly spending was again lower than before HoT. And the fact is that after PoF, the quarterly earnings were higher than before PoF.

I suspect that the anniversary sales will help with revenue for the current quarter and for Q4 we'll see, but chances are a new LS chapter will bring new opportunities. But when they do 6 million a month where last year they were doing 4 million a month doesn't constitute a continuous drop in revenue. And these numbers come from their financial reports.

@Ayakaru.6583 said:

That is an entirely circumstantial thing to saydo you
know
there are enough people interested in spending money on this?I'm not talking about a few, or a lot, I'm talking about
enough
people.

yespeople literally play games like FFXIV just because of its housing system, and it makes a lot of money off of house decorations alone + forcing people to stay subscribed to stop their precious house from being demolished from inactivitythis is just on the forums community where most players are conservative. ingame there are a ton of players that don't use the forums, and if you ask them if they want player housing, pretty much almost all of them would say yes.your argument is contradictory as you are just making up numbers, and i can say that for every 500 comments following how housing would be a waste of time, there are 1000 people ingame praising the idea.

please don't try to facilitate this flimsy agenda that you seem to have against player agenda in a thread that is supporting it, please go make your own thread discussing that issue

@"Danikat.8537" said:Housing is a pretty vague request, every game I've seen does it differently and players all seem to have their own ideas and expectations for what it should include.

Elder Scrolls Online added housing - instances players could buy and decorate with furnishing and a lot if people were very disappointed because apparently when they said they wanted housing what they meant is they wanted more storage space for items, but separate from their bank. (Which was eventually added, but I'm pretty sure the developers only started working on that after he original version met with so much negative feedback.)

I know you said you want it to be like FFXIV or Runescape but having never played either of those that doesn't mean anything to me.

Would you be happy with just an instance you can decorate or is there more you expect from it? You said "and do things in it" but what things do you mean? What are your "must have" features?

How do you expect Anet to monetise this? What aspects would they sell in the gem store and what would be going too far?

I realise that's a lot of questions but it's in your interest to be specific or you could end up with something that fits your request in name only and even less chance of getting what you actually want because then people can say we have housing so that discussion is done.

there is no reason for a fully fleshed out suggestion because that is what Anet decides, not the playerswhy are you asking all of these questions that Anet would answer themselves when working on a housing system and not consider player's advice on? answering these is just like making a suggestion for a new class; a pipe dreambut housing itself is not a pipe dreamit doesn't really matter anyways because as long as people want housing, anet will notice, and that is seen from the new sun lounge that is coming

@GreyWolf.8670 said:Do people really want to sit in their garrisons personal housing all day instead of being out in the world and playing? I just never understood the point of it.

people literally just afk in places like river of the elon and mistlock sanctuary anyways? having player housing would be a personal form and version of that? Why would you want players creating lag and disruption if you had the opportunity to go to your own personal space where you could invite friends and guildies over? If you want to go out in the world all day and play with no breaks whatsoever then have fun, I just never understood the point of no-lifing a game and not taking any breaks at all, but since you player a necromancer I guess you're forced into having to enjoy that :) please remember that playing all day every day is very bad for your health, but it seems like you won't take my advice into consideration, shame :(

Archived