What is the upgradable Armor about?

Clyan.1593

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I, too, fear the "upgrade" will be merely visual, but I do hope that it will be in functionality instead.

In a game that isn't about gear treadmills there isn't much else they can do than visuals though. Being able to change stats could be something nice but then there is another problem. It would have to be stats at ascended/legendary level or no one will want that sub-par armor. And if it is on par then ascended and legendary armor will be the joke of GW2.

If it's stat related it will take the mickey out of the existing armor and that can't be what they want to do. So I think that an armor set that is upgradeable visually is the only thing that really makes sense.

The other benefit that I see in this system, if it is indeed visual as I suspect, that you will have different versions of a each armor sets that you can easily mix and match as well because the will likely have the same core design but with add-ons. What I do wonder though if it's purely the design or if there are also effects parts of this upgrading system.

But then, it's still all speculation. Tomorrow is the day.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Gehenna.3625 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I, too, fear the "upgrade" will be merely visual, but I
do
hope
that it will be in functionality instead.

In a game that isn't about gear treadmills there isn't much else they can do than visuals though. Being able to change stats could be something nice but then there is another problem. It would have to be stats at ascended/legendary level or no one will want that sub-par armor. And if it is on par
then ascended and legendary armor will be the joke of GW2

They already are

I truly hope I will be wrong in what I will say.

When I read for the first time about a new "upgradable armour" in GW2 the first image was a common armor with the possibility to work on it to make it stronger. Either adding insignias to unlock new stats (making this armor something different of the armors with the stat sets offered by the game) or adding different enchantments on it (stones / infusions etc). No matter what, I don't think the armor will be more powerful than the ascendant gear we have - in terms of raw characteristics: defence for example. But if we are allowed to make any mixture of stats we want, the armor can become very useful.My worst fear is that the upgrades will be NOT performed by players, but by a NPC (Zamoros, for example as a reward for beating his raid) and the upgrade operation will have a chance to fail. Rewarding you with a loss of money, effort and material.

Again, I hope this will be wrong.

@segman.3560 said:

do
hope

In a game that isn't about gear treadmills there isn't much else they can do than visuals though. Being able to change stats could be something nice but then there is another problem. It would have to be stats at ascended/legendary level or no one will want that sub-par armor. And if it is on par

They already are

Well, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the context of this game at least ascended gear has slightly better stats and can be upgraded in a few different ways. Legendary gear has the added bonus of being able to swap out stats on them and some unique looks. Now, I will be the first to say that legendary gear isn't worth the trouble for me and so I call that an insane amount of effort for what it is.

But if they would introduce gear that is easier to get (and we don't know yet what's entailed in acquiring and upgrading them) and has the same advantages, that would really make it a joke. Personally the upgrade from exotic to ascended gear made a noticeable difference for me and well it's something to work towards on alts as well. So it keeps me buys without being insane like legendary gear.

So I do welcome something new to do in that respect that hopefully is closer to the ascended gear effort than the legendary effort. That will determine entirely whether or not I will get involved in this.

@Blocki.4931 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Am I the only one who thinks that adding all the glow effects take nice armor and turns it to garbage?

opinions.

I like it, you don't have to.

Clearly, that's why I used the word thinks, and asked if others felt the same way. What exactly was your point other than that you're unnecessarily aggressive?

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:Am I the only one who thinks that adding all the glow effects take nice armor and turns it to garbage?

opinions.

I like it, you don't have to.

Clearly, that's why I used the word thinks, and asked if others felt the same way. What exactly was your point other than that you're unnecessarily aggressive?

It's your opinion that my words are aggressive because they are neutral as can be. Maybe it just feels that way because you think I disagree with you?

I mean, I don't think you disagree with me, I know it, that was apparently your entire point in the statement, to make it clear that you did, in fact, disagree. You're unnecessarily aggressive for apparently feeling the need to make that position clear despite it having no actual bearing on anything, also for pointing out that a question which was obviously expressing an opinion was, in fact, an opinion.

@Gehenna.3625 said:

do
hope

They already are

Well, I think that's a bit harsh. Considering the context of this game at least ascended gear has slightly better stats and can be upgraded in a few different ways. Legendary gear has the added bonus of being able to swap out stats on them and some unique looks. Now, I will be the first to say that legendary gear isn't worth the trouble for me and so I call that an insane amount of effort for what it is.

But if they would introduce gear that is easier to get (and we don't know yet what's entailed in acquiring and upgrading them) and has the same advantages, that would really make it a joke. Personally the upgrade from exotic to ascended gear made a noticeable difference for me and well it's something to work towards on alts as well. So it keeps me buys without being insane like legendary gear.

So I do welcome something new to do in that respect that hopefully is closer to the ascended gear effort than the legendary effort. That will determine entirely whether or not I will get involved in this.

Well, so you assume this armor, if it's legendary, it's easier to get.

Well, in my book the easiest is pvp legendary armor. It's 100% based on participation and time, with no skill or effort (outside of regular legendary expenses) involved. WvW is probably even easier but I don't like WvW so I have no opinion.

If we assume Elegy armor is legendary, I would see it to be progression based collection/craft/achievement journey through seasons 4 and 5.

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:
They just released a teaserIts clunky among clunky armors.Apparantly, the only thing it has going in its favour is the glowth/radiance is its own dye slot

least its not a trenchcoat and has no butt cape

On male toons... I'm expecting to find out my asura girls all get silly butt covers.

@Celsith.2753 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:
They just released a teaserIts clunky among clunky armors.Apparantly, the only thing it has going in its favour is the glowth/radiance is its own dye slot

On male toons... I'm expecting to find out my asura girls all get silly butt covers.

don't asura females usually use male skins anyway?

@Sephylon.4938 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:

don't asura females usually use male skins anyway?

This is the one time i'd be ok with that sloppy design xD

@Clyan.1593 said:I mean what does upgrading it do for you?Is it a basic skin you start with and then you can make it look cooler?Or does this armor give you special slots for something? And if so, wouldn't that be unfair for those who crafted ascended armor / legendary armor already?

I mean, is it really nothing more than skins?Sure, that's an interesting approach, but not that big at all.UPGRADABLE ARMOR!

That sounds really big, yet it's just skins?

I'm assuming it's nothing more than just a Lesser version of Legendary Armor. Now if we can mod it to look how we want it to look thats something different and unique. I'd love to be able to do that and be able to put my guild logo on it too.

@Celsith.2753 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:

The original images showed us female heavy and medium, and now we have male heavy and medium and the skins look identical, so I feel it's safe to expect the female light to follow the male, which is currently all we've seen. But yeah, Asura all use the same skin, so no matter what weight you're using you know what you'll get.

@Kal Spiro.9745 said:

@"Ayakaru.6583" said:

The original images showed us female heavy and medium, and now we have male heavy and medium and the skins look identical, so I feel it's safe to expect the female light to follow the male, which is currently all we've seen. But yeah, Asura all use the same skin, so no matter what weight you're using you know what you'll get.

Someone posted pictures of the male heavy and medium and female light... hang on... here they are:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/54829/whats-this-new-armor-design-without-butt-capes#latest

The male and female versions seem to be the same. Or very similar, anatomy allowing.

@segman.3560 said:

do
hope

They already are

Well, so you assume this armor, if it's legendary, it's easier to get.

Well, in my book the easiest is pvp legendary armor. It's 100% based on participation and time, with no skill or effort (outside of regular legendary expenses) involved. WvW is probably even easier but I don't like WvW so I have no opinion.

If we assume Elegy armor is legendary, I would see it to be progression based collection/craft/achievement journey through seasons 4 and 5.

I said we don't know what's entailed yet in acquiring and upgrading themI said that whether I will get involved with this at all depends on how much work it is to get

So please explain how on earth you came to the conclusion that I assume it will be easier to get.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@segman.3560 said:Yes, it's a joke. Both PvP and WvW armors are based on participation only. You don't need to be succesful, e.g. you can lose every single match you play in pvp (or afk in spawn) and still get your armor. The only limitation is time. Raid armor is based on success. That's why I consider PvP/WvW sets as a joke already.

You are aware of the fact that losing PvP matches or not being successful in raiding WvW maps will result in less pips, hence slow down the process of acquisition significantly? Besides, many Raid squads are not helpful in aiding you with your tasks, they just care about their straight raid goals, so some people rather invest (much!) more time doing WvW (or PvP) instead than exposing themselves to that type of mindset.

So what. You get it anyway. The only gate is time. You can't say the same about raid armor :)

@"bOTEB.1573" said:

@segman.3560 said:Easier compared to what? WvW/PvP legendaries are already a joke compared to raid one.

A joke? Really? You are aware that you need to grind WvW for at least 22 full weeks to achieve the maximum amount of skirmishing tickets needed to acquire the whole ascended set, which you need to craft the legendary versions, let alone the amout of other PvP currency andm of course, the ascended (and other) crafting materials you need to invest into this also? It is
not
a piece of cake and at least as time consuming (of not more) than raiding for the PvE set.

Yes, it's a joke. Both PvP and WvW armors are based on participation only. You don't need to be succesful, e.g. you can lose every single match you play in pvp (or afk in spawn) and still get your armor. The only limitation is time. Raid armor is based on success. That's why I consider PvP/WvW sets as a joke already.

Raid armor is based on success
OR
P2W. Don't exclude the fact that many players are paying gold

I know this. But it's still more than simply being in pvp.

Archived