What's this? New armor design without butt capes? — Guild Wars 2 Forums

What's this? New armor design without butt capes?

That wasn't so hard was it? Keep practicing at designing armor without leg drapes and you guys will achieve something beautiful ;)

<1

Comments

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭

IIRC there was big noise about sexualization of armor in gw2. hence buttcups and modesty straps.

Numbers have accomplished what strategy alone could not.

• phs.6089phs.6089 Member ✭✭✭

@Carighan.6758 said:

@phs.6089 said:
    IIRC there was big noise about sexualization of armor in gw2. hence buttcups and modesty straps.

Yeah if only there was a way to design non-sexualized armor without buttcapes. kitten. Well technology isn't there yet.

attaching buttcapes and stripes to ready models was an easy solution i guess. If you check couple of old designed armor don't have those. From the top of my head Krytan(medium) for example

Numbers have accomplished what strategy alone could not.

• Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

Oh mah gaaaawd! Those armor sets look amazing! They somehow flash me more than the legendary armor sets do... which is why I'll never even try to get them.
    Hopefully, they are not locked behind epic amounts of mats and completing undoable metas like Serpent's Ire.

Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

• Vavume.8065Vavume.8065 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2018

I'm just wondering at what stage of development are these upgradeable armors shown in the screenshots above? I assume they are made in tiers, and I'm hoping this is not the final tier, since the medium helm looks like something you start the game with, and all of the armors look very basic/generic. If they upgrade 2-3 times and the completed result is what is show above I will be disappointed.

TLDR : I hope the screenshots are of the base model armor not the final tier.

• Etria.3642Etria.3642 Member ✭✭✭

I like them very much. No floating without wind skirts buttcapes or other nonsense.

• Danikat.8537Danikat.8537 Member ✭✭✭✭

I like them. :)

I'm not sure how many pieces I'll actually use as I like a lot of the existing armour too, but it's nice to have more choices and especially ones that don't look like the ones we've already got. Very happy about trousers for light armoured female characters especially, until now we've had precisely 1 option which doesn't also include some sort of skirt.

"You can run like a river, Till you end up in the sea,
    And you run till night is black, And keep on going in your dreams,
    And you know all the long while, It's the journey that you seek,
    It's the miles of moving forward, With the wind beneath your wings."

• starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

You get buttcapes by completing the upgrade process.... and no backsies

• I hope that bottom picture is light armor, I want it on my reaper so badly! All three look amazing, I love them! :D

• sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

the only one i like is the heavy armor, finally one without a skirt.

• I see a hip cape, which is pretty much a buttcape.

Oh look. I have a signature now.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@phs.6089 said:

well obviously nobody told the person who made the flying carpet toy about that modesty thing ...

• Lambent.6375Lambent.6375 Member ✭✭✭

First pic appears to have a buttcape.

• zealex.9410zealex.9410 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Lambent.6375 said:

No?

Inb4 these are all baseforms and buttcapes trenchcoats and skirts all get added in the upgraded form.

@zealex.9410 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

No?

Yes.

• @Lambent.6375 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

No?

Yes.

It doesn't have a buttcape...

• @Vavume.8065 said:
    I'm just wondering at what stage of development are these upgradeable armors shown in the screenshots above? I assume they are made in tiers, and I'm hoping this is not the final tier, since the medium helm looks like something you start the game with, and all of the armors look very basic/generic. If they upgrade 2-3 times and the completed result is what is show above I will be disappointed.

I'm going to guess we won't be able to upgrade it this episode. So this should be the "T1" version.

• Can we just have real capes back?

• I just want a Mr.T gold chain necklace shoulder replacement! It's the only thing i'm missing on my heavy plate cosplay :D

I'm The DEVIL.

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

No?

Yes.

It appears to. I'm not sure because I would need to see a pic from behind, but that tunic appears to extend past the butt, which would make it a butt cape imo.

(The pic on the left)

• Pimpology.6234Pimpology.6234 Member ✭✭✭

oops wrong topic

I'm The DEVIL.

• @Ardid.7203 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:

I hope the final models don't become as overdesigned as most armor in this game. I know my hope is vain, but still...

You could always transmute the final armor to the earlier stages.
    I hope there will be more details on the armor as you upgrade; like the patterns on heavy carapace armor.
    As long as theres no butt capes / trench coats /wings or energy tentacles I'll be happy.

@Lambent.6375 said:

@Diak Atoli.2085 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

@zealex.9410 said:

@Lambent.6375 said:

No?

Yes.

It appears to. I'm not sure because I would need to see a pic from behind, but that tunic appears to extend past the butt, which would make it a butt cape imo.

(The pic on the left)

Thats a pretty small butt...

• Ghostrider.6879Ghostrider.6879 Member ✭✭
    edited September 14, 2018

@Vavume.8065 said:

If those were the final tier, we would have to start naked lol

• Ardid.7203Ardid.7203 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Briareos.1865 said:

@Ardid.7203 said:

@Vavume.8065 said:

I hope the final models don't become as overdesigned as most armor in this game. I know my hope is vain, but still...

You could always transmute the final armor to the earlier stages.
    I hope there will be more details on the armor as you upgrade; like the patterns on heavy carapace armor.
    As long as theres no butt capes / trench coats /wings or energy tentacles I'll be happy.

I don't have problem with having better details. MORE details tend to become a super convoluted ornament orgy, that's my problem.
    And frankly, I would like to see final tiers that look more simple and well made, not just overdesigned. There are already many quality overdesigned alternatives to choose from. Most simple options available are not quality tiers.

• Surely I can't be the only one who reads "butt capes" and automatically have the 70's Batman theme running through my head, right? RIGHT? Aw, KITTEN!

• @TheBravery.9615 said:
    That wasn't so hard was it? Keep practicing at designing armor without leg drapes and you guys will achieve something beautiful ;)

Is that human in the upper right image going around with a gap in the thigh area? Is that mouse suicidal? It is giving the world free access to its femoral artery.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Castigator.3470 said:

@TheBravery.9615 said:

Is that human in the upper right image going around with a gap in the thigh area? Is that mouse suicidal? It is giving the world free access to its femoral artery.

You can clearly see on the left leg that it go up to the hip just some cloth covering on the right leg.

• @Linken.6345 said:
    You can clearly see on the left leg that it go up to the hip just some cloth covering on the right leg.

Are you talking about the human in plate armor? The one with the hammer?
    There's a gap between the solid leg plate and the lower layer of that plate armor, which has a yellowish colour and looks like lamellar armour, or chainmail. The gap is located between waist and both thighs, leaving the groin area and the femural arteries open for attack. I mean, sure, the buttcape is gone, but this gap would be covered by chainmail, a plate, or even the infamous codpiece.

• Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Castigator.3470 said:

@Linken.6345 said:

Are you talking about the human in plate armor? The one with the hammer?
    There's a gap between the solid leg plate and the lower layer of that plate armor, which has a yellowish colour and looks like lamellar armour, or chainmail. The gap is located between waist and both thighs, leaving the groin area and the femural arteries open for attack. I mean, sure, the buttcape is gone, but this gap would be covered by chainmail, a plate, or even the infamous codpiece.

Yea Im talking about that you got the same material protecting the heart/lungs so would think its another layer of armor and not abled to be slashed/pierced through.

• Tails.9372Tails.9372 Member ✭✭✭✭

"butt capes" were never really a problem, the fact that the medium armor has this weird cut off point that turns every suit into a "pseudo trench coat" however is and this one seems to be no different.

• Ashabhi.1365Ashabhi.1365 Member ✭✭✭

takes stick, beats deceased horse I would throw money at an actual set of battle mage robes... Creator Jadi and her people in the Darklands wears a nice one. Floor length, full skirted, jewelled, kitten, battle robes. Just sayin.... BUT, if these armors are any indication of what is to come, I can hope. that someday my robes will be a reality.

• @TheBravery.9615 said:

Can I ask how/where you got those pics?

<1
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.