Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:If people know for SURE anet is at fault will you link us to a pdf of the contract between anet and kft? Oh, you have not seen that document? Well, then SHUT UP!!!!!!

All we have to go on at this point is how cross-brand promotions typically work and what we have seen done. That is, both companies advertising the promotion exactly the same at the start of the month then kft, not anet, changing their advertised terms and insisting those were always the terms.

Does it matter?We are Anets customers, and does it mater the insides out of a contract... we have been let down...

What matters is what company caused the problem. Not what company let you know about the cross-promotion first.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Vash.2386 said:The USA is a multi-language country.

Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

Sorry but this is a very ridiculous statement, many other countries have ppl that speak different languages living in them, and you'll never see stuff translated to every single one of their languages just because of that.

There's a reason of why english is considered ''universal language''... if someone wants to travel abroad, they need to learn to speak english to communicate and understand stuff in their destination because of this. In the different countries, texts are translated to english for foreigners to understand, not multiple languages.

So in this case, if it really was for ''US only'', having the text in english would be more than enough for US players to understand, and hence no need to translate anything. And even so, they translated this to other languajes, giving the chance for all their players around the world to understand even if they don't speak english.

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

Sorry but this is a very ridiculous statement, many other countries have ppl that speak different languages living in them, and you'll never see stuff translated to every single one of their languages just because of that.

There's a reason of why english is considered ''universal language''... if someone wants to travel abroad, they need to learn to speak english to communicate and understand stuff in their destination because of this. In the different countries, texts are translated to english for foreigners to understand, not multiple languages.

So in this case, if it really was for ''US only'', having the text in english would be more than enough for US players to understand, and hence no need to translate anything. And even so, they translated this to other languajes, giving the chance for all their players around the world to understand even if they don't speak english.

I am not sure what the point is since you can set to any supported language whether you are using NA or EU servers. Do you actually think I will get arrested or something if I am in the US and set the language to Spanish? :)

Whether the text got translated for the NA or EU does not make a difference (except it is translated for both). The point is it WAS translated. Either KFT provided copy for the various languages or anet had to pay someone to do it (and possibly get it approved afterwards) ..... it does not just magically happen.

@WSL.5931 said:

@Glider.5792 said:Soo, the codes realy got disabled huh ? Right now i wanted to use one of the codes to get my gf her shirt, but nothing works anymore. :anguished:

Anet just blocked your non-US IP from official website and in-game store. VPN is the answer.

They aware of this, but still insist to do it, as if no one cares about whether it would encourage most player to buy codes from unknown source and using unknown VPN software. That's the problem, and they seems not yet giving any solution to this.

im in us with codes i got and they arent working, i think they did disable all the codes

@Menadena.7482 said:

I am not sure what the point is since you can set to any supported language whether you are using NA or EU servers. Do you actually think I will get arrested or something if I am in the US and set the language to Spanish? :)

Whether the text got translated for the NA or EU does not make a difference (except it is translated for both). The point is it WAS translated. Either KFT provided copy for the various languages or anet had to pay someone to do it (and possibly get it approved afterwards) ..... it does not just magically happen.

Yeah that's what I wanted to say at the beginning (the fact that it was translated), but also the other stuff I said was a response to what the previous comment mentioned, about that ''in the US there's also ppl that speak foreing language and ppl download the game on their language'', tho that last part is kinda wrong 'cuz the game IS in english but everything is translated to spanish, french, etc for the player to select in the options in-game.

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Federally English is not the official language, and some states have French/German/Spanish/Portuguese as official languages alongside English. In fact, if you only knew English in many regions of the US then you would be limiting yourself in regards to job opportunities because many people don't know English well. English is only a primary for school, and even then, many schools force you to learn one of the earlier languages between middle and high school.

Oh man, this whole mess will later be known as the Lion's Arch Tea Party, where angry Tyrians tossed Kung Fu Tea crates into Sanctum Harbor, thus extinguishing the whole population of Sockeye Salmons. And the books will talk about the Gods staying silent while all faithful Tyrians prayed to them for answers. Dark times indeed.

Guys. I have a question: I still have like 4 codes from an EU friend (who got over 100 codes from the App like a week ago) I wanted to give to friends, but I decided to wait for an official Anet statement, cause I was concerned Anet would ban non US people or something. Since we apparently are not getting any statement, do you guys think it’s alright to give the codes away (hoping they still work)?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Which has nothing to do with the launcher, else those other 'official languages', such as Hawaiian, Cherokee, Sioux, etc. would be used, as well.French is not an 'official' language in any state, and Spanish has a 'special status'. Yet, we see French or Spanish on the launcher if you set your language to French.

Actually, while French may not be an official language anywhere (not even english has that status in the US) there are places it gets used heavily. Think northern states as it is an official language (alongside english) in Canada. The social (not legal) line between two countries gets a bit muddled near national borders.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Some people got multiple codes through no fault of their own. The app is/was very wonky. There's no real basis to accuse someone of cheating with no facts, I'd say.

Me for example. I finally got through to the page where the rewards were shown, pressed the GW2 one and it didn't seem to do anything so I pressed it a few more times before suddenly the message icon showed up. Even so I only got 2 codes, so it didn't work every time I pressed it but I also didn't need to do anything special or dishonest to get multiple codes.

So far both accounts I've used them on are still active and unbanned. It did feel a bit risky, but as I understand it they're only banning people who used dozens of codes on newly created accounts and even my free one is over 2 years old. But hopefully if one does get banned it'll be my free account.

@"creepyXtina.2560" said:Guys. I have a question: I still have like 4 codes from an EU friend (who got over 100 codes from the App like a week ago) I wanted to give to friends, but I decided to wait for an official Anet statement, cause I was concerned Anet would ban non US people or something. Since we apparently are not getting any statement, do you guys think it’s alright to give the codes away (hoping they still work)?

ANet banned 3~400k on 4th day (6 years ago) because of the Karma bug.And since this promotion is "US Only", do you really think ANet might banned us none-US players?I hope not......

@C Gunner.9406 said:Apologies for my previous post. I didn't realize it would cause offence to anyone. Anyhow no ones going get banned. Lets smile, nothing to see here and hopefully they'll be able to fix it. (no negativity in this post whatsoever :) )

I am guessing someone is either reporting everything or this thread is being monitored. I did not even quote anyone but just explained something and got a warning out of it. Anyway, my apologies too if anyone took offense.

@"Plautze.6290" said:Oh man, this whole mess will later be known as the Lion's Arch Tea Party, where angry Tyrians tossed Kung Fu Tea crates into Sanctum Harbor, thus extinguishing the whole population of Sockeye Salmons. And the books will talk about the Gods staying silent while all faithful Tyrians prayed to them for answers. Dark times indeed.

This whole thing might land them in hot water... which is ideal for proper tea2B9x6nE.gif

The name Kung Fu Tea set alarm bells ringing for me from the start, it just automatically sounded like some tacky and shady place. Going by how this mess is still all going on, and with everything I've read that's happened, I'm glad I didn't bother trying to take part, not that I'd have linked one of my real social media accounts to them anyway. Much as I'd have liked a code for a second account it sounds like it would've been more trouble than it's worth (and being EU sounds like I wouldn't have gotten anything anyway).

@Tyger.1637 said:

@"Plautze.6290" said:Oh man, this whole mess will later be known as the Lion's Arch Tea Party, where angry Tyrians tossed Kung Fu Tea crates into Sanctum Harbor, thus extinguishing the whole population of Sockeye Salmons. And the books will talk about the Gods staying silent while all faithful Tyrians prayed to them for answers. Dark times indeed.

This whole thing might land them in hot water... which is ideal for proper tea
2B9x6nE.gif

Ugh .... coming from New England I am sure I made an interesting face when I moved down south and tasted what they called 'iced tea'!

Having a few crates floating in the harbor would be amusing but unfortunately would require continual explanations. Do we even have tea in Tyria?

@Menadena.7482 said:

2B9x6nE.gif

Ugh .... coming from New England I am sure I made an interesting face when I moved down south and tasted what they called 'iced tea'!

Having a few crates floating in the harbor would be amusing but unfortunately would require continual explanations. Do we even have tea in Tyria?

We have burgers, fries, pizza, eggnog, whiskey, gin, lager, ale, stout, wine and 'sparkling water' (effervescence) . I'm sure if we can have coffee we can definitely have tea. I may have had a similar discussion for RP purposes that it would just be a slightly different origin; in this case from Cantha not China.

EDIT - Seems we do have tea

16 Phoenix, 1325 AEI'd be lying if I said I didn't expect my assignment to be a bit more, let's just say, scientific.--Continue reading.Instead of assisting on actual research, I've been given menial tasks like serving tea, delivering mail, and helping prepare lunch for the garrison.

@Tyger.1637 said:

2B9x6nE.gif

We have burgers, fries, pizza, eggnog, whiskey, gin, lager, ale, stout, wine and 'sparkling water' (effervescence) . I'm sure if we can have coffee we can definitely have tea. I may have had a similar discussion for RP purposes that it would just be a slightly different origin; in this case from Cantha not China.

EDIT -

16 Phoenix, 1325 AEI'd be lying if I said I didn't expect my assignment to be a bit more, let's just say, scientific.--Continue reading.Instead of assisting on actual research, I've been given menial tasks like
serving tea
, delivering mail, and helping prepare lunch for the garrison.

coinsidering we dont have or have had any trade with cantha the tea have long since run dry over here

@Linken.6345 said:

2B9x6nE.gif

EDIT -

16 Phoenix, 1325 AEI'd be lying if I said I didn't expect my assignment to be a bit more, let's just say, scientific.--Continue reading.Instead of assisting on actual research, I've been given menial tasks like
serving tea
, delivering mail, and helping prepare lunch for the garrison.

coinsidering we dont have or have had any trade with cantha the tea have long since run dry over here

And tea is apparently grown in Asia, Africa and South America (yes, I had to look it up :tongue: ) so hopefully some enterprising individual or organisation would take it up and grow a locally sourced plantation.

Archived