Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

can you comment on why the codes have been deactivated that were given out? I have a key that isnt working that I received through the app. it is no longer valid and i have heard from others the same!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Nash.3974 said:

@Etria.3642 said:Not to mention but plenty of us US folks linked accounts and received nothing so far. We would like answers too!

They said they paused the promotion if you kept linking your accounts then it’s your fault because it’s been mentioned over and over again that it’s paused atm.

Actually, they said they paused it before it was known it was paused (I got the sweepstakes but not the giveaway) so there was a window while they kept taking social media info. I have a linked account right now but did not get the promotion. I was trying to relink constantly, I suppose I should stop and call them for more news about the promotion between every relink?

Yes, I was reading this thread constantly at the time. Within a reasonable period of someone knowing I would know.

Its not Anets problem, like Gaile says take it up with KFT!

You've totally misunderstood the purpose of that post. But keep on trying.

@MaxRunes.8695 said:

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

can you comment on why the codes have been deactivated that were given out? I have a key that isnt working that I received through the app. it is no longer valid and i have heard from others the same!With all that we did see going wrong, like people getting multiple codes (lots of them in some cases), it wouldn't surprise me if they gave out some codes to multiple people, so only the first person to use them got something out of them. Just guessing though.

Looks like the lawyers have found a way to twist it so both companies can get off free and the end user gets shafted once again. We all saw that the sweepstate was stated "US" only and that the download promotion was stated without "US" only, why the wait before the terms and conditions were changed, these things are normally well thought out and gone over before a promotion is released. Somene made out like a fat cat with the data recieved from all those outside of the US obtained dishonestly.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

can you comment on why the codes have been deactivated that were given out? I have a key that isnt working that I received through the app. it is no longer valid and i have heard from others the same!With all that we did see going wrong, like people getting multiple codes (lots of them in some cases), it wouldn't surprise me if they gave out some codes to multiple people, so only the first person to use them got something out of them. Just guessing though.

No they were not double given. They all are deactivated. I want to know why.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

If that was the case I'd have expected more reports of codes not working before the promotion was paused, and some people saying they're still working now. Whereas it seems like all the codes anyone had stopped working at around the same time. I think it's more likely Anet disabled all the codes which had not already been used to stop the people who got hundreds from continuing to use them to make duplicate accounts, so their security team don't have to waste time shutting down all those accounts.

Yes this has affected people who got the codes legitimately as well (either because it was the only one they got or because they followed the instructions but still ended up with multiple codes) but I assume the thinking is that once the problems are fixed and the promotion resumes those people will be able to get and use a new code, but when that happens there will be security precautions in place to prevent anyone from getting extra codes.

Of course the problem with that currently is that since the promotion was shut down on the 4th we've heard nothing from KFT except "we're working on it" and we don't know when (or if) they will get it working or what will be changed, or what new problems will arise from those changes.

@MaxRunes.8695 said:

Interesting .... how do you know they were not double given? Or that they worked in the first place?

edit: BTW, I am serious, I studied philosophy, physics, and rounded it out with comp sci. It sounds like proving a negative is involved so lost how any proof would work since applying the code to see if it worked would make it not work in the future.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Interesting .... how do you know they were not double given? Or that they worked in the first place?

If they've been universally deactivated, you'd think that would be something Gail would be able to tell us, seeing how that's definitely an ANet thing instead of a KFT thing.

@Danikat.8537 said:By the way if any EU players are curious I double checked this morning and there is no special process or wording to get your data deleted under GDPR. You just have to request it verbally or in writing. Since it seems we're no longer eligible to participate and allegedly never were I didn't see any reason to let KFT keep whatever information they might have on me, so I sent them this email earlier today:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

On Monday 3rd September 2018 I registered for and participated in your online cross-promotion with Arenanet to obtain Guild Wars 2 items. As part of this I linked my Facebook account to your app and granted permission for you to access information on Facebook.

I now understand that this was done under false pretences as it was not made clear to me at any point in the process that as a non-US resident I am not eligible to participate in this promotion and that I should not have expected to receive any items from it.

However as an EU citizen my data is covered by the new General Data Protection Regulations, which includes the 'right to erasure' - for consent to be removed at any time and data obtained under consent to be deleted. I wish to evoke this right now and therefore ask that you delete all data you hold related to this email address or my (Real Name) Facebook account.

Please confirm to me that this has been done.

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

I'll update if/when I get a reply.

(I'd already unlinked my Facebook account and the KFT app, via both Facebook and the app, deleted my social profile on the app and then deleted the app.)

Yes, I’ve already done that.I got some bull reply basically saying they’ve deactivated the account on their end and removed me from mailing lists. No mention of my data being expunged from them.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Danikat.8537 said:By the way if any EU players are curious I double checked this morning and there is no special process or wording to get your data deleted under GDPR. You just have to request it verbally or in writing. Since it seems we're no longer eligible to participate and allegedly never were I didn't see any reason to let KFT keep whatever information they might have on me, so I sent them this email earlier today:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

On Monday 3rd September 2018 I registered for and participated in your online cross-promotion with Arenanet to obtain Guild Wars 2 items. As part of this I linked my Facebook account to your app and granted permission for you to access information on Facebook.

I now understand that this was done under false pretences as it was not made clear to me at any point in the process that as a non-US resident I am not eligible to participate in this promotion and that I should not have expected to receive any items from it.

However as an EU citizen my data is covered by the new General Data Protection Regulations, which includes the 'right to erasure' - for consent to be removed at any time and data obtained under consent to be deleted. I wish to evoke this right now and therefore ask that you delete all data you hold related to this email address or my (Real Name) Facebook account.

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

(I'd already unlinked my Facebook account and the KFT app, via both Facebook and the app, deleted my social profile on the app and then deleted the app.)

Yes, I’ve already done that.I got some bull reply basically saying they’ve deactivated the account on their end and removed me from mailing lists. No mention of my data being expunged from them.

Considering they don't normally operate in the EU, seemed unaware that unless an app is region locked it's accessible world-wide and this promotion generally reminds me of a certain phrase about arranging a 'celebration' in a brewery I doubt they've even heard of GDPR before or have any knowledge of the requirements or the fact that it does apply to them even if they're a US based company. But I'm considering this the first step in the process and will follow up if necessary.

@Mil.3562 said:GW2 has players in many regions; Canada, EU, SEA, OCX and others. Well, it just doesn't feel right that they rolled out a promotion quietly with free in-game stuff only for NA players.

Canada is in NA. So, it isn't just for NA players. It's only for US players. Question to Anet: will you ever have promotions for non-US players only? How do you think that would go over with the US players?

Frankly, to fix this mess, every account should get these promotional rewards as an apology.

@Manasa Devi.7958 said:

If they've been universally deactivated, you'd think that would be something Gail would be able to tell us, seeing how that's definitely an ANet thing instead of a KFT thing.

Not really (I included an edit at the same time you were typing this to say my interest is from a point of logic, which I have studied over the years from multiple angles). The codes given may never have worked. Absent their code creation algorithm the only way to prove a code works destroys it so proving it worked in the past and does not work now is a bit of a puzzle.

I do remember someone saying early on the codes were only valid for an hour. Could that be at play? If they were using time-limited codes that would also present more problems given how much chaos and lag was going on, you might get an expired code or a code that did so soon after you got it. I am not sure if that was correct information though or someone just receiving an invalid code.

@Menadena.7482 said:Interesting .... how do you know they were not double given? Or that they worked in the first place?

Considering how bad the app was, they could have given out the same codes to multiple people, however, attempting to register a used code results in different error message. It is true that not all codes were valid in the first place, considering the first one I obtained didn't work, but there's so many unused codes that no longer work that there's no chance that they haven't been disabled. It's no surprise that they were, considering you could print as many as you wanted just by spamming the collect button, so there's likely thousands of unused ones floating around. They likely assumed legit players would use them as they got them, whereas the bots would need to setup VMs and trickle them in to not get noticed. Their security team wouldn't want to deal with that for an entire month when the promotion was disabled... and probably cancelled.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@misterman.1530 said:Frankly, to fix this mess, every account should get these promotional rewards as an apology.

Mmm, no, I highly doubt that will happen.A real communication would be nice. Hell even if we’re not informed, Anet marketing/PR team should have learned a valuable lesson here, as an international company.

I doubt that would happen too. It still should, however.

@Danikat.8537 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

Considering they don't normally operate in the EU, seemed unaware that unless an app is region locked it's accessible world-wide and this promotion generally reminds me of a certain phrase about arranging a 'celebration' in a brewery I doubt they've even heard of GDPR before or have any knowledge of the requirements or the fact that it does apply to them even if they're a US based company. But I'm considering this the first step in the process and will follow up if necessary.

That would fit with the MO. When I was browsing around for soy/nut milk at KFT yesterday their responses seemed to indicate they thought lactaid was a viable alternative (which is still dairy milk).

@Plautze.6290 said:

I really, really hope that something will happen from ANet's side, because otherwise they are literally duping all of us non-US players.And if that's the case... I can only say 'GG, ANet. If you don't value your non-US players, maybe another company does?'.And before some of you say 'Dude, it's just a T-shirt.' - I know, and it's not about this shirt. I'll probably never wear it (or that profane armor) anyway. This is about feeling like second class despite non-US players representing a fair part of GW2's whole playerbase.

I agree with all of this. And the saddest part is, I would wear that t-shirt. I'd parade it around like a fangirl. I've wanted it for years. Instead you wasted my time, and made me feel like crap. Congrats on that one.

@Menadena.7482 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

That would fit with the MO. When I was browsing around for soy/nut milk at KFT yesterday their responses seemed to indicate they thought lactaid was a viable alternative (which is still dairy milk).

being vegan is silly anyway, humans are omnivores

@Malediktus.9250 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

Umm, I think we are getting a bit off the subject? I was looking as a promotion that uses social media, phone apps, and games just MAYBE is meant to appeal to a younger crowd .... which has a lot of vegans.

@Menadena.7482 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

Umm, I think we are getting a bit off the subject? I was looking as a promotion that uses social media, phone apps, and games just MAYBE is meant to appeal to a younger crowd .... which has a lot of vegans.

a lot of vegans? I do not know any vegans in real life, I only know that they exist from hearsay. In germany they only make up for like 1% of the population and I doubt it is more in the US. Hardly worth catering to

@Malediktus.9250 said:

_Dear Kung Fu Tea,

Yours Sincerely,

Real Name_

Its in human nature to go against (human) nature.

Right now I am getting somewhat angered reading ArenaNet's response to this (and please note that I am not in any way angry with Gaile, I am upset with ArenaNet, the company, not any of its employees who I still hold in high regard for having created the games I love in the first place). If it was always going to be a US-only promotion, and you have no way of limiting its spread through the launcher, then don't put it in the launcher. That's clear and simple logic. Maybe put it on the website as a News post, make it clear that this is for US customers only, and throw the terms in there. Some people will obviously be upset about feeling excluded, but not in the same way people are upset with you now, feeling deceived and losing their trust in you as a company. Also, why wouldn't you make sure that the cross-promotion (extra emphasis on the cross) you run with another company has well written non-mistakable terms so that you don't land in hot water with angry customers. You obviously have lawyers that can look at these things before they go live. I find it somewhat unacceptable to point fingers towards KFT and basically say "the ball's with them now", when you are the ones with your angry non-US customers. Why should KFT care about that? Without you taking any sort of action, that isn't going away, is it? The very first line on their blog post you originally linked us to even touts it as a partnership.

This whole debacle has damaged my view of ArenaNet as a company, and the way you have responded now basically saying "take it up with them" sullies that view further. Clearly, KFT doesn't care about your non-US customers, at all. And right now it doesn't feel like you do either. I find that somewhat strange, as this is only serves to hurt your business, e.g., from people stopping to buy Gems, not buying the next expansion, quitting out of anger/frustration/this being the last drop, bad word of mouth spreading, etc. — it's straight up in-no-ways-good bad publicity — and that because of something KFT has done if I understand your responses correctly. As far as you present it, they're running the whole show. But why would ArenaNet not want to calm the angered mob created from KFT's actions and own up to their own part in creating the situation, by not making sure that the terms were accurate and sending non-US customers their way in the first place? If it even was truly US only from the very start and that's not just a blatant lie from KFT after all the issues. KFT didn't as far as I can see (or remember) even mention that this was a US-only promotion in the first 5 days on Facebook, and just told people to try again due to the app being flooded with high demand.. (unless I'm immeasurably mistaken the initial promotion post as well as a few posts I recall where they responded to US and non-US users alike seems to have been deleted too, which feels kinda scummy to say the least.)

Regardless, the situation boils down to me feeling like I were deceived into giving my data to a third-party company by ArenaNet, not by KFT. I would never have known about this if I weren't sent their way by you. Something which after reading the terms and them indicating that only the Sweepstakes were US-only, then led to me linking my social media and with that my past post history. I linked my real data to honor what is technically a trade for me claim an outfit I never got back in 2012. Suddenly the terms were changed 5 days in though, after numerous issues from their app not being able to handle the demand from US-, non-US players and greedy botters;

QKRmsvZ.jpgImage Source: Facebook

It just feels too convenient that "it was a mistake". Even if it were, they should have and you should have insisted that they honored what was initially presented to avoid this outcry, both for your sake and their own. From a business perspective, this could have been a great way to drive GW2-playing tourists to their establishments when they are visiting the states instead of driving them away from themselves. There weren't even a disclaimer saying they reserve the right to change the terms at any point during the promotion (and there still aren't). Regardless if this part of the debacle was due to KFT only, it's my trust in ArenaNet which has plummeted by me feeling tricked and deceived by you sending me to them in the first place. And on top of that my view of ArenaNet as a company that puts its customers first has been somewhat flushed down the drain with how it now feels like your a-typical ball toss between companies, where they just point fingers and send angry consumers back and forth. It's not so much about me not getting an outfit I wanted. It's the fact that I were sent through your link over to them to give my private data and post history to what is a third-party company in exchange for some GW2 goodies, but then end up with nothing in return. That is what upsets and angers me. I straight up feel scammed into giving out my private details because I trusted ArenaNet so much that I expected any terms shown in a cross-promotion they partake in to be accurate and that any company they affiliate themselves with would be as professional as I thought ArenaNet were.

Archived