Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Menadena.7482 said:

@NicholaLord.2630 said:nvm edited I have the answer

So what was the conclusion? It does seem to be sinking but hard to tell if that is because of the amount of posts or what. There are a LOT of stickies and your eye automatically skims all those titles.

If you mean thread sinking, I don't think it is sinking. Edit: Yeah, after I posted this, the thread immediately went to the top of the non-stickied posts.

@creepyXtina.2560 said:Guys. I have a question: I still have like 4 codes from an EU friend (who got over 100 codes from the App like a week ago) I wanted to give to friends, but I decided to wait for an official Anet statement, cause I was concerned Anet would ban non US people or something. Since we apparently are not getting any statement, do you guys think it’s alright to give the codes away (hoping they still work)?

They have disabled the codes from my mail. So I doubt any work. My friends aren't working either.

A third of the way through the promotion time, I have yet to be able to get my outfit. Took days just to be able to link my FB and I am pretty sure I only managed to do that because their servers stopped being spammed after they paused the promotion.

I really wonder what will be done if the promotion is never unpaused and they just don't bring it back.

Ugh, it looks like I can not take part in their sweepstakes anyway. Their menu advertises non lactose milk in some drinks so assumed I could use that in the drink by just having them substitute that milk instead. Wrong. It seems what they use is lactaid (seriously? that is just dairy milk with the lactose removed), unlike any other place I have been that uses some dairy milk alternative. Vegan gamers beware!

• ArenaNet Staff

Hey there,

I have seen questions in this thread about the localization and presentation of information on our website or in our launcher. So here's some info on those things, because I think it's interesting in an even broader sense and having this info may help in the future:

Q: Why did ArenaNet post the promotion in all game-supported languages? If it is US-only, why wasn’t it posted only in English?

A: We localize by language, not location. That is to say, we don’t offer languages based solely on the country in which that language originated, but to support the languages spoken by our players, wherever they live or may be at any given time. For example, let’s look at the Spanish language: We localize in Spanish not just for residents of Spain, but for players who speak Spanish anywhere around the world, and if you think about it, Spanish is spoken in many countries across several continents.

When we add something to the website or the launcher, we do it in all four game-supported languages. I honestly cannot remember seeing something on the launcher that didn’t appear in DE, EN, ES, and FR because once we use the launcher for a message, it goes out in all languages by default. I believe we do not have a way of limiting the reach of the launcher's presentation to any single language. It's sort of an "all or nothing" presentation.

I hope that clarifies why the promotion was posted as it was. The multiple-language presentation had nothing to do with the nature of this particular promotion, but simply represents our usual publication practices.

Q: Why did ArenaNet remove mention of the promotion from the website and the launcher?

A: We removed the promotion from our website and launcher because it currently is paused by Kung Fu Tea while they work out distribution issues on their side. It doesn't seem appropriate to link to a paused promotion, so that's why that linked message or image was disabled.

Folks outside the US - there's nothing nefarious going on with the promotion. If it was listed as worldwide originally, then it was clearly an oversight that has since been corrected. ArenaNet has run numerous promotions in the past that pertain only to US residents, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Moreover, you can count on future promotions being targeted at US residents, too. This is how nearly all US promotions work across innumerable product lines and brands.

The reason for this is that there are a whooole lot of international tax and related considerations that function as an obstacle to giving out freebies across borders. If ArenaNet could include you in the promotion without burden, then they surely would.

So please, stop directing your rage-comments at ArenaNet. It makes much more sense for you to accept that this is just how business is done and not take it personally, than for you to rant and look like a jerk or a child on the forums. I don't want to say, "just get over it" - but really, it's time to calm down and move on.

@"ClaraFee.2579" said:Folks outside the US - there's nothing nefarious going on with the promotion. If it was listed as worldwide originally, then it was clearly an oversight that has since been corrected. ArenaNet has run numerous promotions in the past that pertain only to US residents, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Moreover, you can count on future promotions being targeted at US residents, too. This is how nearly all US promotions work across innumerable product lines and brands.

The reason for this is that there are a whooole lot of international tax and related considerations that function as an obstacle to giving out freebies across borders. If ArenaNet could include you in the promotion without burden, then they surely would.

So please, stop directing your rage-comments at ArenaNet. It makes much more sense for you to accept that this is just how business is done and not take it personally, than for you to rant and look like a jerk or a child on the forums. I don't want to say, "just get over it" - but really, it's time to calm down and move on.

The complaint was not that it was US-only as very few people (if any) complained about the sweepstakes being US-only as it said that from the start. The complaint was the terms changed after the start of the promotion.

@Menadena.7482 said:Ugh, it looks like I can not take part in their sweepstakes anyway. Their menu advertises non lactose milk in some drinks so assumed I could use that in the drink by just having them substitute that milk instead. Wrong. It seems what they use is lactaid (seriously? that is just dairy milk with the lactose removed), unlike any other place I have been that uses some dairy milk alternative. Vegan gamers beware!

You'd think they'd atleast offer almond/hazlenut/nut-derived milk?

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@Vash.2386 said:The USA is a multi-language country.

Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

Sorry but this is a very ridiculous statement, many other countries have ppl that speak different languages living in them, and you'll never see stuff translated to every single one of their languages just because of that.

There's a reason of why english is considered ''universal language''... if someone wants to travel abroad, they need to learn to speak english to communicate and understand stuff in their destination because of this. In the different countries, texts are translated to english for foreigners to understand, not multiple languages.

So in this case, if it really was for ''US only'', having the text in english would be more than enough for US players to understand, and hence no need to translate anything. And even so, they translated this to other languajes, giving the chance for all their players around the world to understand even if they don't speak english.

Federally English is not the official language, and some states have French/German/Spanish/Portuguese as official languages alongside English. In fact, if you only knew English in many regions of the US then you would be limiting yourself in regards to job opportunities because many people don't know English well. English is only a primary for school, and even then, many schools force you to learn one of the earlier languages between middle and high school.

I don't know which different languages ppl speak in the different states of the US, but English is still the main one, tho I agree that In therms of job opportunities is always an advantage to be able to speak more than 1 language.

And actually when I said that it was ''universal language'', I meant that English is the one ppl outside of the US need to speak or at least understand to communicate with other countries that speak a different one. For example: Someone from Spain trying understand stuff or to talk with ppl from other countries like Japan, Canada, Germany, etc., all of them speak a completely different language, so they need to learn English to solve this issue and be able to understand one another, tho in some countries there's a very small amount of ppl that actually learns to speak it...

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the discussion in this post lol, so I'll just add that even if some ppl in the other states of US can speak or not some of those languages you mentioned, it still doesn't really explain why Anet had the necessity to translate all the stuff in this promotion. The only reason to do something like that is to help ppl that don't speak english understand what is it all about, and that would of course be for ppl outside of the US :/ :/

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Just because it was advertised on the EU launcher and in a different language does not automatically mean it was meant for the EU.

There are plenty of people living in the US who speak a foreign language and would download the game in that language. Just as there also are many people who live in the US who play on an EU or OCX server.

Sorry but this is a very ridiculous statement, many other countries have ppl that speak different languages living in them, and you'll never see stuff translated to every single one of their languages just because of that.

There's a reason of why english is considered ''universal language''... if someone wants to travel abroad, they need to learn to speak english to communicate and understand stuff in their destination because of this. In the different countries, texts are translated to english for foreigners to understand, not multiple languages.

So in this case, if it really was for ''US only'', having the text in english would be more than enough for US players to understand, and hence no need to translate anything. And even so, they translated this to other languajes, giving the chance for all their players around the world to understand even if they don't speak english.

Federally English is not the official language, and some states have French/German/Spanish/Portuguese as official languages alongside English. In fact, if you only knew English in many regions of the US then you would be limiting yourself in regards to job opportunities because many people don't know English well. English is only a primary for school, and even then, many schools force you to learn one of the earlier languages between middle and high school.

I don't know which different languages ppl speak in the different states of the US, but English is still the main one, tho I agree that In therms of job opportunities is always an advantage to be able to speak more than 1 language.

And actually when I said that it was ''universal language'', I meant that English is the one ppl outside of the US need to speak or at least understand to communicate with other countries that speak a different one. For example: Someone from Spain trying understand stuff or to talk with ppl from other countries like Japan, Canada, Germany, etc., all of them speak a completely different language, so they need to learn English to solve this issue and be able to understand one another, tho in some countries there's a very small amount of ppl that actually learns to speak it...

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the discussion in this post lol, so I'll just add that even if some ppl in the other states of US can speak or not some of those languages you mentioned, it still doesn't really explain why Anet had the necessity to translate all the stuff in this promotion. The only reason to do something like that is to help ppl that don't speak english understand what is it all about, and that would of course be for ppl outside of the US :/ :/

Nvm, Gaile just posted something about that while I was typing lol. But leaving that aside the real problem persists... why the sudden change of the terms of the promotion in middle of it... also if it was originally intended to be for only US players, then why the codes could also be obtained by ppl from outside of the US AND work too while claiming the stuff in the game. If it really was intended to be limited like that, then at least the codes shouldn't have been able to work if you're not an US player.

@KaryuZeir.9346 said:

Nvm, Gaile just posted something about that while I was typing lol. But leaving that aside the real problem persists... why the sudden change of the terms of the promotion in middle of it... also if it was originally intended to be for only US players, then why the codes could also be obtained by ppl from outside of the US AND work too while claiming the stuff in the game. If it really was intended to be limited like that, then at least the codes shouldn't have been able to work if you're not an US player.

Assuming it was always intended to be US only.Anet might have assumed that KFT would make it so people outside the US couldn't access their promotion, so they didn't bother making the codes unusable outside the US.And KFT might have assumed that Anet would only advertise it in the US (I think what pops up on the launchers is just shown across the board regardless of country?) and/or make codes only usable in the US and so they wouldn't have to bother about changing their app to lock people out.Maybe both those things. I'm just speculating here.

To be honest I still don't believe that it was US only, but whatever. Anyway, let's say that's true... so what was Anet thinking about this? I mean, they know like half of their playerbase are non-US and they make a promo exclusive only for US with the most precious outfit of the game... did they stop for a moment and think how non-US players would feel about this?? I'm tired of being a 2nd class customer just because I'm not from USA.

Why they do deserve getting that exclusive outfit+heroic edition and not us? We should be equal, if u wanna make a promo do it with a company that also cover outside the US and don't exclude half of ur playerbase.

Also, what everybody was complaining is that they changed the terms after 5 days of the promo. And lot of people gave their data for nothing.

For all EU, SEA and Aus players out there worrying, please do not. There is no way that Anet would discriminate against such valued customers of their product. Please give Anet patience. The last time something bad like this happened a free outfit was given to every single player of the game.It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

@Ulyssean.1709 said:For all EU, SEA and Aus players out there worrying, please do not. There is no way that Anet would discriminate against such valued customers of their product. Please give Anet patience. The last time something bad like this happened a free outfit was given to every single player of the game.It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Mike O has always been in charge fyi

@Ulyssean.1709 said:For all EU, SEA and Aus players out there worrying, please do not. There is no way that Anet would discriminate against such valued customers of their product. Please give Anet patience. The last time something bad like this happened a free outfit was given to every single player of the game.It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

what outfit did they give everyone?

Nothing like this have happend before what you are refering to are the outfit people with the base game got when game went ftp.If they were working out how to do that stick it in the gemstore for 0 gems heroic edition and the outfit.Tho I think they would have to work over time with the ban hammer on multiple account makers =)

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Linken.6345" said:

My point exactly if it was for usa only it shouldent have been translated into german.

Detailed explanation here: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/678176/#Comment_678176

@Nash.3974 said:

The US has no official language. Also gaile explained that the launcher isn’t location based but language based. Because a person who lives in the US but is a native German speaker or simply plays the game in German wants to get this information about the promotion in German.

Exactly. It's your language, not your location.

@Randulf.7614 said:

@Ulyssean.1709 said:Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Mike O has always been in charge fyi

Yes, you are correct.

@Haleydawn.3764 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Ugh, it looks like I can not take part in their sweepstakes anyway. Their menu advertises non lactose milk in some drinks so assumed I could use that in the drink by just having them substitute that milk instead. Wrong. It seems what they use is lactaid (seriously? that is just dairy milk with the lactose removed), unlike any other place I have been that uses some dairy milk alternative. Vegan gamers beware!

You'd think they'd atleast offer almond/hazlenut/nut-derived milk?

Yes, it would make sense. It would seem to fit with the general vibe to have an alternative.

Just F.Y.I. at no point does it state you have to drink it ;)

Archived