Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Linken.6345 said:

@"Ulyssean.1709" said:For all EU, SEA and Aus players out there worrying, please do not. There is no way that Anet would discriminate against such valued customers of their product. Please give Anet patience. The last time something bad like this happened a free outfit was given to every single player of the game.It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Nothing like this have happend before what you are refering to are the outfit people with the base game got when game went ftp.If they were working out how to do that stick it in the gemstore for 0 gems heroic edition and the outfit.Tho I think they would have to work over time with the ban hammer on multiple account makers =)

That's why, if they did this, it would probably be better to mail out the heroic edition upgrade - that way they can make sure it only goes to existing accounts.

The Royal Guard Outfit was mailed out to everyone so it shows (along with numerous other items - like the continue coins they send every time Super Adventure Box opens) that it is technically possible for Anet to do that. But it wasn't given as compensation for something going wrong - at least not from Anet's perspective - it was a gift to all accounts on the 3rd anniversary of the game which, coincidentally or not, was also just before free accounts became available. I'm sure some people saw it as compensation for the game being 'ruined' by free players, or a way to prove you bought the game before that, but that's not how it was presented and considering the outfit was mailed out first it certainly wasn't Anet's reaction to players response.

So while it shows it's possible to mail everyone in the game an item it doesn't show any inclination by Anet to do so as an apology for something players think went wrong. I can't remember any time Anet did that. They might make moves to fix problems in future - like when they added mount select licences to the Istani and Desert mount sets after the first, purely RNG, set got such a bad reaction. But I can't remember them handing out items to all players as an apology or compensation for something we didn't like and I'd be very wary of assuming they'll do it now.

If KFT doesn't get their act together soon and make this promotion available again, or extend the time it's available so it's close to the original 30 days then I think it would be in Anet's interest to do something themselves to sort it out. But I'd be wary of getting too attached to any specific idea of what that will be, especially assuming it will involve giving players the t-shirt or another free item. It might "only" be an admission that this went badly and if they ever do a partnership promotion again they will make absolutely sure everyone involved knows what they're doing.

I'd also like clarification on whether the entire promotion was always supposed to be US-only and if so why that was never mentioned and why it was accessible outside the USA. But unless it was supposed to be world-wide and was changed after the fact I wouldn't expect any compensation for that, except maybe a reassurance that now the dragon t-shirt is back in use as a promo item there will be opportunities to get it elsewhere in the world.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Ulyssean.1709 said:

It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.

I hope you are right, otherwise I guess my money will stay in EU-only for a long time to come. And I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking this way.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Linken.6345 said:@"ClaraFee.2579" said:

Folks outside the US - there's nothing nefarious going on with the promotion. If it was listed as worldwide originally, then it was clearly an oversight that has since been corrected. ArenaNet has run numerous promotions in the past that pertain only to US residents, so this shouldn't be a surprise. Moreover, you can count on future promotions being targeted at US residents, too. This is how nearly all US promotions work across innumerable product lines and brands.

The reason for this is that there are a whooole lot of international tax and related considerations that function as an obstacle to giving out freebies across borders. If ArenaNet could include you in the promotion without burden, then they surely would.

So please, stop directing your rage-comments at ArenaNet. It makes much more sense for you to accept that this is just how business is done and not take it personally, than for you to rant and look like a jerk or a child on the forums. I don't want to say, "just get over it" - but really, it's time to calm down and move on.

Please enlighten us how giving away something for free can give a company tax problems?If you earn 0 dollars there is nothing to tax.

EditAnd about the new dev post today, its alittle late to try to cover up the flames a week later aint it?I mean really how many german speakers do you have over there that need it in writing. Someone must have sat down and translated it and conviently forgot to add oh sorry usa only guys.I mean if its automaticly translated in to german I would understand but from my experience, if I try to talk to a german useing a translater I usualy get ?????? back.

Why would it matter the amount of German speakers playing in the USA? It's a supported language for the program. I personally don't know any US players whose native language is German, but I do know 4 different French players who are living in the US. Though they speak English very well, I'd assume that they play the game in their native text at least.

I also changed the language to German for a while while I was attempting to learn the language. It was helpful and immersive, but unfortunately I fell of the language-learning wagon a few months ago and haven't started again :(

My point exactly if it was for usa only it shouldent have been translated into german.

No, my post counters your point. German speaker =/= Resides in Germany

@Tyger.1637 said:

@Menadena.7482 said:Ugh, it looks like I can not take part in their sweepstakes anyway. Their menu advertises non lactose milk in some drinks so assumed I could use that in the drink by just having them substitute that milk instead. Wrong. It seems what they use is lactaid (seriously? that is just dairy milk with the lactose removed), unlike any other place I have been that uses some dairy milk alternative. Vegan gamers beware!

Just F.Y.I. at no point does it state you have to drink it ;)

... or even buy it. You only need a picture.

@Deimos.4263 said:So the plan all along was to give US players free t-shirts, but nobody else? If so, well that's a crappy plan. It's insulting. I'm Canadian. I want a t-shirt too.

Come to my house in California I've got a few extra. Do you like Adventure Time? I have a shirt with Finn and Jake as Vault Dweller/Dogmeat that you might like!

@Blanche Neige.7241 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I'd also like clarification on whether the entire promotion was always supposed to be US-only

It clearly was not, but Anet will never admit it.

You will also notice that Miss Gray so far carefully avoided to answer most questions about this fiasco… She never clearly said "it was planned for US all along"...

So Gaile, can you PLEASE stop avoiding the real points and give us CLEAR answers once and for all?

Several people suggested earlier in the thread that Gaile may not be allowed to say anything until KFT and Anet have sorted out between them what exactly went wrong, whose responsibility it is and what is being done to put it right. Especially if one company believes the other to be in breach of contract - that would make it a legal issue, meaning details can't be shared until it's sorted out.

@Blanche Neige.7241 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:I'd also like clarification on whether the entire promotion was always supposed to be US-only

It clearly was not, but Anet will never admit it.

You will also notice that Miss Gray so far carefully avoided to answer most questions about this fiasco… She never clearly said "it was planned for US all along"...

So Gaile, can you PLEASE stop avoiding the real points and give us CLEAR answers once and for all?

She, like any other person working for Anet, has to be careful with what she says. She is not in charge of anything happening between Anet and KFT and can only comment on what she knows and is allowed to say. Stop jumping on her.

@Ulyssean.1709 said:For all EU, SEA and Aus players out there worrying, please do not. There is no way that Anet would discriminate against such valued customers of their product. Please give Anet patience. The last time something bad like this happened a free outfit was given to every single player of the game.It would not surprise me if Anet is going to give every single player the T-Shirt outfit AND a free upgrade to the Heroic edition for those accounts that do not have it.Anet are being silent because they are working out how to roll these non-discriminatory rewards out.Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Are we playing the same game? LMAO

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:

My point exactly if it was for usa only it shouldent have been translated into german.

Detailed explanation here:

The US has no official language. Also gaile explained that the launcher isn’t location based but language based. Because a person who lives in the US but is a native German speaker or simply plays the game in German wants to get this information about the promotion in German.

Exactly. It's your
language
, not your

@"Ulyssean.1709" said:Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Mike O has always been in charge fyi

Yes, you are correct.

Issue are in a nut shell:

• The terms of the free DL changed, originaly only the sweepstake stated "US only" this was not attached to the free DL for signing in with social media.
  • Many EU players gained and used and have the DL items and a heroic account now
  • KFT' s app could not handle the demand, and the laggy app was issuing upto a 100 codes to people
  • ANET and KFT then claim is should never have been open to EU

Results:

• If the app was only intended for the US why was the app not region blocked for the EU via google play tools?
  • I personally contacted KFT via face book and also via email, both of which can be seen are situated in the United Kingdom. I have the proof which say "rest assured you will get your codes, we are just having technical issues" - There is no mention of a US/ EU discrepancy.

Conclusion

• ANETS players have handed over social media details, and received DL dragon tee, and heroic account upgrades - Even though it was never allowed, these players get to keep these..?
  • ANETS players handed over social media details under false pretences - what happens to this data/ has it been mined and sold?
    • Some EU players gained the dl codes, but many did not... very unfair as we didnt know it was a first across the the line black market event.

Fixes:Either nobody get the DL codes ie you roll back,Everyone gets the code - put in black lionYou work with KFT and fix there app, and make it available worldwide again as it was originally.

If it was always USA only, why wasn't it clearly stated right from the start considering more than half the playerbases is not from USA?Why was there a * saying "Sweepstakes limited to customers of the U.S."? Why specify only the sweeptstakes is limited if the whole thing is?Why was it announced to everyone? Why send feed to gaming media around the planet for something you do in your courtyard while making sure to mention that a specific part of the promo is limited, if the entire thing is?

@Danikat.8537 said:

The Royal Guard Outfit was mailed out to everyone so it shows (along with numerous other items - like the continue coins they send every time Super Adventure Box opens) that it is technically possible for Anet to do that. But it wasn't given as compensation for something going wrong - at least not from Anet's perspective - it was a gift to all accounts on the 3rd anniversary of the game which, coincidentally or not, was also just before free accounts became available. I'm sure some people saw it as compensation for the game being 'ruined' by free players, or a way to prove you bought the game before that, but that's not how it was presented and considering the outfit was mailed out first it certainly wasn't Anet's reaction to players response.

Slight correction, though I don't claim I'm accurate either. Best I recall, Royal Guard was in fact offered as a thank you to all the paying customers in light of the f2p being implemented. I'm pretty sure you had to have had a paid account as of a certain date to get that outfit, though that date was, hm, one day before the outfit was sent out, I think?

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:

Detailed explanation here:

The US has no official language. Also gaile explained that the launcher isn’t location based but language based. Because a person who lives in the US but is a native German speaker or simply plays the game in German wants to get this information about the promotion in German.

Exactly. It's your
language
, not your

@"Ulyssean.1709" said:Have faith in Anet, Mike O has been a sterling leader since taking the helm and will not let you down.

Mike O has always been in charge fyi

Yes, you are correct.

Issue are in a nut shell:
  • The terms of the free DL changed, originaly only the sweepstake stated "US only" this was not attached to the free DL for signing in with social media.
  • Many EU players gained and used and have the DL items and a heroic account now
  • KFT' s app could not handle the demand, and the laggy app was issuing upto a 100 codes to people
  • ANET and KFT then claim is should never have been open to EU

Results:
  • If the app was only intended for the US why was the app not region blocked for the EU via google play tools?
  • I personally contacted KFT via face book and also via email, both of which can be seen are situated in the United Kingdom. I have the proof which say "rest assured you will get your codes, we are just having technical issues" - There is no mention of a US/ EU discrepancy.

Conclusion
  • ANETS players have handed over social media details, and received DL dragon tee, and heroic account upgrades - Even though it was never allowed, these players get to keep these..?
  • ANETS players handed over social media details under false pretences - what happens to this data/ has it been mined and sold?
    • Some EU players gained the dl codes, but many did not... very unfair as we didnt know it was a first across the the line black market event.

Fixes:
Either nobody get the DL codes ie you roll back,Everyone gets the code - put in black lionYou work with KFT and fix there app, and make it available worldwide again as it was originally.

To be fair Anet have not said its usa only they have been silent about the whole ordeal and now seem to be pushing the blame onto kftsource for the pushing is the last post

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

As a costumer of Anet, and not KFT, and its Anet that promoted this promo (and Anet's product) which I took part in (and where it was worldwide as per terms when I took part), I am still waiting for my codes (sweepstake excl obviously) as I gave my data in return which I cannot get back by any means. And I also don't trust KFT saying they may have deleted it while there is not even a way to check it (not to mention we have no clue what they did with it already). And I also saw reoccuring facebook replies from KFT saying they guaranteed ppl that took part would get their codes (even to European/Asian citizens). I also agree on NicholaLord.2630's post. It should not be us reaching out to a party that will probably ignore us and have already abused our private data!!! It's Anet's responsibility to fix this!!!

• ArenaNet Staff

@fatihso.7258 said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"fatihso.7258" said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Have you asked Kung Fu Tea? We're answering questions that are properly addressed to us, but cannot answer questions that need to addressed to the company that is hosting the promotion. I'm very sorry that we do not have answers to every question, but truly we do not.

All of us (all your player base) are your (gw2) commodity. So when you charge KFT a fee for exposure, ANET will quote "we have millions of players"

• So you can not count us on one hand as a commodity, yet throw us away when there is responsibility, you should be acting in our interest, protecting your commodity.

With all due respect Galie you (gw2) should be finding out ALL the answers for your player base, that have been deceived - after all we are your commodity!

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:We wanted to answer the questions about our website and our localization choices, but the program itself is being run by our friends at Kung Fu Tea. You will need to reach out to them for further information on this program.

While KFT were the ones changing their announcements and the restrictions, there are a lot of issued codes that have not been claimed yet, and which to my knowledge currently can not be claimed no matter if the person trying is in the US or anywhere else in the world. This is clearly not something KFT could have done, but some change that ArenaNet did at their own backend/website. Could you please get a clarification what happened to these codes that no longer work, and if they will work again when the promotion continues?

There are multiple speculations (fear of getting banned when using a code you already have, question if it is ok to use shared codes although Chris Cleary said it is ok, false information like "the codes only work when they are being used with an IP from the US" and the assumption that all of the codes have been made permanently invalid by ArenaNet to fight them being sold).

A clear statement of what happened on your end to the codes that had already been obtained (invalidated or only temporarily not usable?) would be welcomed.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"fatihso.7258" said:When do we get an update on the matter? Half month almost passed.

Hi Gaile! I have a question regarding the codes, it might have been answered already so if somebody else knows he/she may also fill me in on this.

Soo, i was one of the people that also got multiple codes, quite some of them. I used one of them to get the T-Shirt, but contacted support regarding the others(still waiting for a response). I wanted to give them out among the players after i would get a "Thumbs up" from the support.However yesterday i got a bit impatient, and wanted to use one of the codes to get my GF her T-Shirt, but it seems like the codes do not work anymore.

I am wondering, are codes currently dissabled ? Are all the extra codes i got basicaly going to go into trash, or will i still be able to give them away at some point ? Ofcouse, if its not allowed to give them away i would also like to know that.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Ok, was the entire promotion agreed upon to be only for US customers? If yes, why was it marketed in all language clients? If no, what response does anet have to kft "clarifying" that it's US only several days in?

Archived