Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

@Yamazuki.6073 said:

@"Gaile Gray.6029" said:Hey folks,

Kung Fu Tea posted a
about the status of the giveaway this afternoon. In short, they still are working on resolving the issues that resulted in the pause of the promotion and will be giving another update next week.

Can you provide your player base any advice as to reporting this GDPR Breach, and also gambling Breach : this is taken from the gambling commision:2 The distinction between lotteries, prize competitions andfree draws2.1 The Act defines two types of lottery: a simple lottery and a complex lottery.A simple lottery is where:• persons are required to pay to participate• one or more prizes are allocated to the participants in the scheme• prizes are allocated wholly by chance.

I read your paid prizes at the cost of a drink, classed as a lottery!
  • You have children playing GW2

GDPR is a European thing, the sweepstakes only applies to the United States, and each state has their own individual laws, and even then, the sweepstakes is limited to specific cities where you buy it.

The part about linking your social media requires no purchase at all and the rewards are guaranteed, at least when the system works.

To clarify

GDPR - report regarding data sourcing from us under false pretence, EU law regarding data is very different from USA laws.

Lottery - Is not a issue that would be reported as GDPR - this would be reported to the Gambling commission (at least in the UK, would presume each EU country has a equivalent) The gambling commission is a government branch, which is the legislative governing body.

With regards to the US only for the sweep stake, or any other offer with promotion ie money off if purchase... This tea company is not US only as stated there is also one in Australia, so dont presume that because you think they are only in the US, it only effects the US.. because they are not only in the US.

• The advert was changed to state "US" only, the original advert it didn't specify

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@RankoR.1942 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a
about the status of the giveaway this afternoon. In short, they still are working on resolving the issues that resulted in the pause of the promotion and will be giving another update next week.

Anet not even giving any explanation yet?I started to feel sorry for those two staff who got fired on holiday for unfriendly behavior toward player.How about those event designer who pissed off all EU player with this event?That's a really unfriendly move toward all player who are not living in the US.

No wonder why Ruby keeps repeating in twitch live again and again how Anet values the player community. You need to repeat a lie till everyone believes you....Wish the "KFT" provides a better solution next week, but I had a bad feeling about this...

Well I dont see how anet can fire kft staff but please enlighten me

So you suggesting that no one from Anet side has done anything to promote this event?

Not saying that but anet was not the ones who changed the deal making it only us, forcing them to take away their advertisment about it.

Do you really think one side of the agreement can change the terms on a whim? Wow, brb Im gonna take a huge loan and then change the agreements on my own to not pay it.... We are not talking about some mouth to mouth agreement, we are talking about serious(or not serious as we can see) agreement between two, probably multimulionaire companies

So, follow your own line of thought: What happens when one company acts in a contrary fashion to what the other company is expecting? Lawyers get involved. What happens when lawyers get involved? They tell people to keep their mouths closed until things have been sorted out.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Tbh I dont understand, aside from this whole fiasco, the heroic edition is given out for free over some app of some random company. Youre basically making the core game free to play (not the current F2P model) over some random app. Which naturally is going to set this app ablaze.

One theory among players is that whoever at Anet was involved in setting up this promotion didn't realise the code they used would unlock free accounts. If you look at the first few pages of this topic a lot of people (myself included) assumed it would only add the bonus items, even on a free account. It was only once people started getting and using the codes that we found out it unlocked the account too.

Of course that should have been checked when the promotion was being set up but it's the kind of thing that's very easy to overlook. If the people who are arranging it don't know to ask then the people who know how it works don't know they need to tell them.

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Can you provide your player base any advice as to reporting this GDPR Breach, and also gambling Breach : this is taken from the gambling commision:2 The distinction between lotteries, prize competitions andfree draws2.1 The Act defines two types of lottery: a simple lottery and a complex lottery.A simple lottery is where:• persons are required to pay to participate• one or more prizes are allocated to the participants in the scheme• prizes are allocated wholly by chance.

Too bad it's a US based promotion now. The GDPR has no say in what the US does for a US promotion.

@Ellieanna.5027 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Too bad it's a US based promotion now. The GDPR has no say in what the US does for a US promotion.

Actually the data breach issue would still be relevant. GDPR is applied based on where the customer lives - it doesn't matter if it's a US company that does it, or if they changed the rules after the fact to say only US customers are included in the draw. If people in the EU can give their details to the company (without going through a VPN or location spoofing) then they are considered to be operating within the EU and subject to GDPR.

The promotion is largely irrelevant - the fact that people in the EU can download and use the app, including linking their social media profile or otherwise providing personal information is the important bit. And if KFT don't want to deal with EU law because they only operate in non-EU countries then they can use the tools Google and Apple provide to region lock their app.

Besides, up until they shut the promotion down people all over the world, including in the EU, could participate. Whether they intended it to be that way is irrelevant (as with most laws - it doesn't matter what you meant to do, only what you actually did) the promotion was advertised to people in the EU and we were able to sign up and receive the codes.

@Ellieanna.5027 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

How to completely miss the point, labelled throughout this thread and Redditt all week.. .. the fact it's US only now is a moot point at this stage, the damage was done allowing EU players to even download and access the app for codes, they had already linked SM details via the app and were still able to access the promo/app up until it was taken offline. No matter how much KFT try to gloss over that fact by changing their rules part way through the promo or by ANET removing their own launcher promo (which was even carefully translated for EU language servers) the fact is EU GDPR will still apply, because as it stands now it looks like EU players got duped and if the reports are true about SM accounts being hacked already, it could quite quickly turn ugly... though I take those few comments I have seen regarding account hacks with a large pinch of salt at present.

The disappointing thing for me though is not that the promo has been changed and EU players now culled from the promo, it's the deafening silence surrounding all this mess so soon after public support ANET showed to its players over the JP saga. Yes I bet there is some interesting talk going on between ANET and KFT right now, and the finer details are likely wrapped up tight but ANET have done nothing to show any kind of support of its player base, both US or EU or worldwide at this point other than the small "sorry for the issues currently" and the "KFT has posted something and nothing on their forum, go read and let us get on with our weekends please" .. not good enough imo.

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Anet not even giving any explanation yet?I started to feel sorry for those two staff who got fired on holiday for unfriendly behavior toward player.How about those event designer who pissed off all EU player with this event?That's a really unfriendly move toward all player who are not living in the US.

No wonder why Ruby keeps repeating in twitch live again and again how Anet values the player community. You need to repeat a lie till everyone believes you....Wish the "KFT" provides a better solution next week, but I had a bad feeling about this...

How does anet need to give an explanation?

KFT put forth the promotion. THEY put the rules on THEIR website. KFT then changed them and put up other rules. Anet has an interest, yes, but it is KFT you have your issue with.

@WSL.5931 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

So you suggesting that no one from Anet side has done anything to promote this event?

Of course they did because it was a cross promotion event.

If someone says 'advertise for me and I will advertise for you' I am not liable if I advertise for them and then they do something wrong.

@RankoR.1942 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Not saying that but anet was not the ones who changed the deal making it only us, forcing them to take away their advertisment about it.

Do you really think one side of the agreement can change the terms on a whim? Wow, brb Im gonna take a huge loan and then change the agreements on my own to not pay it.... We are not talking about some mouth to mouth agreement, we are talking about serious(or not serious as we can see) agreement between two, probably multimulionaire companies

One side can not but that is what KFT did. Just the fact the announcement was translated says someone at anet did not decide to change things.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

KFT put forth the promotion. THEY put the rules on THEIR website. KFT then changed them and put up other rules. Anet has an interest, yes, but it is KFT you have your issue with.

Anet marketed and advertised the promotion to all players around the globe so far as i know, in their own languages, which means they spent the time translating it, then they pulled the promotions from all the websites and the games launcher, and suddenly only US players could obtain it, despite ANET advertising the promotion to other countries beforehand, at this point its basically bait and switch.

at first everyone around the globe can obtain the shirt and the heroic upgrade, only US can obtain the deluxe, so millions of people from around the globe give this app attention they otherwise wouldnt have, and then the rules are changed so that only US players can obtain anything and players from around the globe have given this company their information and tons of advertisement(i must horrible though it is, KFT screwed themselves.).

@NicholaLord.2630 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

GDPR is a European thing, the sweepstakes only applies to the United States, and each state has their own individual laws, and even then, the sweepstakes is limited to specific cities where you buy it.

The part about linking your social media requires no purchase at all and the rewards are guaranteed, at least when the system works.

To clarify

GDPR - report regarding data sourcing from us under false pretence, EU law regarding data is very different from USA laws.

Lottery - Is not a issue that would be reported as GDPR - this would be reported to the Gambling commission (at least in the UK, would presume each EU country has a equivalent) The gambling commission is a government branch, which is the legislative governing body.

With regards to the US only for the sweep stake, or any other offer with promotion ie money off if purchase... This tea company is not US only as stated there is also one in Australia, so dont presume that because you think they are only in the US, it only effects the US.. because they are not only in the US.
  • The advert was changed to state "US" only, the original advert it didn't specify

The sweepstakes always specified US only, the only part that changed was "APP PROMOTION LIMITED TO US CUSTOMERS ONLY." That is the part people are complaining about, because the other promotion doesn't require any purchase, and non-US locations were able to link their accounts and get codes.

Australia also isn't apart of the European Union, and as such European Union regulation is still irrelevant. Australia left their legislation in the hands of their states, like the US, and where they are located [Victoria] the "lottery" regulation is also relaxed. Most rules don't apply because the rewards are under both the 500$ and 1,000$ limits. All that would be left is ensuring they followed the Gambling Regulation Act 2003 and Gambling Regulations 2015, where most rules don't apply as only apart of it impacts raffles/sweepstakes. States with stricter rules are generally just left out, look at some US based promotions and at the bottom you'll find a few states listed that can't participate at times.

@WSL.5931 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

They can't...but in the same sense as I can't go into a shop, pick up whatever items I want and leave without paying for them. They're not allowed to do it and there will be consequences if they do, but it's not impossible.

We're already seeing some of those consequences - a lot of negative feelings and bad feedback from customers (and potential customers). It's also possible there's more going on behind the scenes, if they have actually broken their contract then Anet could potentially pursue legal action, which would explain the silence we've gotten from both companies because they wouldn't be allowed to discuss it until it was sorted out.

(Oh and in case you're interested people try exactly what you suggested all the time - that's why you usually have to sign multiple copies of a contract, so each party keeps one and if someone else does change it later on they can check their copy and use it to prove the other one was changed.)

@Dante.1763 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Anet marketed and advertised the promotion to all players around the globe so far as i know, in their own languages, which means they spent the time translating it, then they pulled the promotions from all the websites and the games launcher, and suddenly only US players could obtain it, despite ANET
advertising the promotion to other countries
beforehand, at this point its basically bait and switch.

at first everyone around the globe can obtain the shirt and the heroic upgrade, only US can obtain the deluxe, so millions of people from around the globe give this app attention they otherwise wouldnt have, and then the rules are changed so that only US players can obtain anything and players from around the globe have given this company their information and tons of advertisement(i must horrible though it is, KFT screwed themselves.).

You do know what a cross-promotion is do you not?

Of course anet put recourses into translating it (well, unless KFT gave them translated copy from the start). That means they are responsible for their part, which they did perfectly since they were driving ppl to use the KFT app. KFT then changed their terms but THAT part is entirely on them, anet has nothing to do with their decision.

Please, read up on how cross-promotions work and who is responsible for what. One company is not responsible for what both companies do, only their own part.

@Menadena.7482 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

Anet marketed and advertised the promotion to all players around the globe so far as i know, in their own languages, which means they spent the time translating it, then they pulled the promotions from all the websites and the games launcher, and suddenly only US players could obtain it, despite ANET

Of course anet put recourses into translating it (well, unless KFT gave them translated copy from the start). That means they are responsible for their part, which they did perfectly since they were driving ppl to use the KFT app. KFT then changed their terms but THAT part is entirely on them, anet has nothing to do with their decision.

Please, read up on how cross-promotions work and who is responsible for what. One company is not responsible for what both companies do, only their own part.

You are correct, but its still basically a bait and switch on KFTs part forgive me for not clarifying.

Anet however is going to get blowback from this because they are a part of the promotion. If anet wants to be seen in a very good light theyd just send out the items, but there may be a contract that prevents that, who knows but anet.

@Danikat.8537 said:(Oh and in case you're interested people try exactly what you suggested all the time - that's why you usually have to sign multiple copies of a contract, so each party keeps one and if someone else does change it later on they can check their copy and use it to prove the other one was changed.)

Terms of a contract are crucial, which is why I am hedging a lot of my comments. As a supporting example in caselaw that would probably apply (as I am pretty sure this happened in the US) there is a case where someone was sent one of those credit card offers. He then scanned and edited the agreement to have various terms great for him (including a penalty for the company canceling it later), signed it, and mailed it in. Since it looked like their document nobody at the company read it and they routinely signed it. A court upheld that it was perfectly legal.

If this was posted in english later then, without seeing the contractor, there would be no way of telling if it was anet's mistake. People that run multiple websites do that all the time by mistake. The key thing is it was not the same text, it was a different block of text, translated stuff. Since KFT's website also originally said the offer was open to everyone that also lends a LOT of credence to thinking the original contract said anet would advertise to everyone.

@Dante.1763 said:

@WSL.5931 said:

Kung Fu Tea posted a

You are correct, but its still basically a bait and switch on KFTs part forgive me for not clarifying.

Anet however is going to get blowback from this because they are a part of the promotion. If anet wants to be seen in a very good light theyd just send out the items, but there may be a contract that prevents that, who knows but anet.

Exactly, this looks like it is KFT's fault. There might be a reply from them that a misunderstanding happened but then lawyers and contracts will get dragged out.

Anet has more of an interest to fix this than KFT (since I am guessing most of the people that submitted entries were anet customers) but there is probably no LEGAL reason they should do anything.

@Menadena.7482 said:

Do you really think that KFT made that promotion alone?

Anet is as much involved as KFT in this.

@Danikat.8537 said:

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:Tbh I dont understand, aside from this whole fiasco, the heroic edition is given out for free over some app of some random company. Youre basically making the core game free to play (not the current F2P model) over some random app. Which naturally is going to set this app ablaze.

One theory among players is that whoever at Anet was involved in setting up this promotion didn't realise the code they used would unlock free accounts. If you look at the first few pages of this topic a lot of people (myself included) assumed it would only add the bonus items, even on a free account. It was only once people started getting and using the codes that we found out it unlocked the account too.

Of course that should have been checked when the promotion was being set up but it's the kind of thing that's very easy to overlook. If the people who are arranging it don't know to ask then the people who know how it works don't know they need to tell them.

Hm, I personally dont see how one overlooks such things. Maybe I personally would double to triple check what a key unlocks before sending them out, but okay.

@FrizzFreston.5290 said:

Hm, I personally dont see how one overlooks such things. Maybe I personally would double to triple check what a key unlocks before sending them out, but okay.

Things like that have happened at my work. The marketing department has a great idea and because it doesn't require anything new to be created or set up they don't discuss it with the people who would normally do that (who know all the technicalities) - they get approval from their bosses and go ahead and run the promotion, then find out it didn't work the way they thought it did.

One memorable example - one of the social media guys saw a poster outside the staff canteen asking for volunteers to make little heart shaped badges for a campaign and thought it would be a fun thing to get the public involved in, so they advertised it on our Facebook and Twitter accounts and only found out after the first 1,500+ badges arrived that the person organising it only actually needed 100. They took the posts down but it was months before random boxes of badges stopped showing up.

OK, as someone new to all of this, let me get facts straight that are relevant to me as an overseas GW2 player:

1. The Sweepstake prize for the GW2 Deluxe Edition was only ever available in the US, and you had to purchase one of the themed drinks in a KFT store to be eligible.

2. The DLC codes for the free outfit and the Heroic Edition upgrade was supposed to be freely available to everybody who installed the app and linked their social media account to it, but this has since been amended so that only US residents are eligible for it.

Is this correct? So basically, anybody who isn't from the US gets nothing (which is kinda par for the course if you've been with the GW series as long as I have, but still highly disappointing in 2018)?

@Zaxares.5419 said:OK, as someone new to all of this, let me get facts straight that are relevant to me as an overseas GW2 player:

1. The Sweepstake prize for the GW2 Deluxe Edition was only ever available in the US, and you had to purchase one of the themed drinks in a KFT store to be eligible.

2. The DLC codes for the free outfit and the Heroic Edition upgrade was supposed to be freely available to everybody who installed the app and linked their social media account to it, but this has since been amended so that only US residents are eligible for it.

Is this correct? So basically, anybody who isn't from the US gets nothing (which is kinda par for the course if you've been with the GW series as long as I have, but still highly disappointing in 2018)?

That's about right. The second part, I don't know if it was SUPPOSED to be for everybody, but I know 100% it was advertised to be freely available to everybody. And then later on they changed it to US-only.

@Zaxares.5419 said:OK, as someone new to all of this, let me get facts straight that are relevant to me as an overseas GW2 player:

If this was intended to be for US residents all along, I hope that they have a separate promotion for non-US residents to allow them to get the things as well.

@"Zaxares.5419" said:OK, as someone new to all of this, let me get facts straight that are relevant to me as an overseas GW2 player:

1. Apparently, some of those that linked the app and their social media have been hacked? Also, some people from the EU got the DLC codes before things were changed.

How are they even going to check if anyone linking his social media account is a "US resident" or not? In case of Facebook it probably comes with your acceptance of sharing your location within Facebook, but what about Twitter or Instagram? I don't remember Twitter or Instagram regularly giving away the place any user lives.

If this is going to be done by a stupid IP restriction then every US resident who is not currently in the US will be locked out although he should be able to participate, also any non-US resident who just happens to be in the US currently would be included although he should not be included. All it would do is make people who happen to be in the US (resident or not) farm the codes in order to give/sell them to people who are not in the US and would have been able to obtain them without problem before, but cannot now.

@"Shikigami.4013" said:How are they even going to check if anyone linking his social media account is a "US resident" or not? In case of Facebook it probably comes with your acceptance of sharing your location withing Facebook, but what about Twitter or Instagram? I don't remember Twitter or Instagram regularly giving away the place any user lives.

If this is going to be done by a stupid IP restriction then every US resident who is not currently in the US will be locked out although he should be able to participate, also any non-US resident who just happens to be in the US currently would be included although he should not be included. All it would do is make people who happen to be in the US (resident or not) farm the codes in order to give/sell them to people who are not in the US and would have been able to obtain them without problem before, but cannot now.

As far as I can tell it would have to be an honor system. Not a great way to run things like this. Since that same system allowed people to use bots to spam the app to get multiple codes to horde and sell later.

Archived