Open World Duel option - Yay / Nay / Who cares ?

Hadi.3167

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:So considering the fact that there are already at least two options available to accomplish dueling I think ... more thinking less typing is in order.

Would you mind elaborating on those options?

PvP has build restrictionsGuild arena needs a guild, a guild hall and enough players to build the arena plus a guild inviteWvW is dictated by server linkings

I'm thinking, but I can't think of those 2 viable dueling options you mentioned?

It doesn't need a guild invite, just needs to be in a party.

As for needing a guild ... hey you know what would be a great thing to build a guild around?

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:So considering the fact that there are already at least two options available to accomplish dueling I think ... more thinking less typing is in order.

PvP has build restrictionsGuild arena needs a guild, a guild hall and enough players to build the arena plus a guild inviteWvW is dictated by server linkings

I'm thinking, but I can't think of those 2 viable dueling options you mentioned?

Those are the two viable options. Just because a custom PvP lobby for dueling has restrictions on what amulet you can wear doesn't make it not a viable option for two people to use for dueling.

You don't need to be in the same guild to go into someone else's guild hall to use that halls arena, you just have to be in the same party. Join an established guild that already has one. There should be things that encourage building a guild hall for, and having a guild for, and an arena is one of those things.

edit: an added benefit of these two options is that they also serve as gold/material sinks, which is good for the games economy.

@Danikat.8537 said:Also, having very briefly looked into it apparently Bless Online's open-world PvP is between factions. You join one of two factions and then you can kill players in the other faction. Adding a system like that to GW2 would require a major re-write of the story and lore since everything in PvE is about all 5 races and their different factions working together against the dragons. They'd have to change a lot to explain why we're suddenly slaughtering each other at every opportunity.

You know what, this game has the best damn OWPvP in the business - WvW. I thoroughly enjoy it when I play it.

That said, one of the things I loved about UO (for any old farts like me that remember it) was the faction PvP that could occur at random in any place including any city. Seeing constantly people run around chasing each other on their mounts back in forth in front of brit bank was some of the most enjoyable moments I've ever had in a videogame. I used to love just taking my thief up to someone and randomly steal their weapon then bank it before they can kill me (if they can even kill me without their weapon lol). Man I really miss that.

On a different note, please allow thieves to actually steal other players items MUWAHAHHAHAHAHAH

@Oldirtbeard.9834 said:

@vampirelazarus.9403 said:What is this, Eve Online?

I don't see any spread sheets anywhere do you?

Ah man, another game I love. +1 for excellent reference (and truth lol)

If they made a PvP server, i'd play it in a heartbeat... but the way their shard system works, it -- well -- wouldn't work.

Open World PvP is far too niche to work for a game like GW2 (or any HUGE MMO anymore). Part of the reason why is that open world PvP requires non-pvp moments for it to be truly fun and worthwhile. No I know this SOUNDS like ganking (and it is lulz) but I think ganking is different from grieving. It's why WvW isn't that fun. It's just non-stop, objective-based PvP. There is no nuance to it. You need peaceful merchants and a player run economy and tons of systems in place to create a world for it (which includes stiff consequences for acting like a d-bag all the time)... otherwise, you might as well keep PvP instanced.

The closest a recent mainstream game has come to really great open world PvP was Archeage (which even had a trial system for grievers, but it was WAY too forgiving). And that's the problem. When there aren't real consequences for in-game actions then a-holes will always ruin it for everyone. And I use past tense because 1) Archeage turned into the definition of a cashgrab (and continues to do so with restart servers non-stop...) and is run by the cash shop... there isn't a design decision made in that game that is not influenced by the cash shop and 2) they made way too many safe zones now that it makes open world useless and might as well just make it all instanced.

@"Matiole.6857" said:

Those are the two viable options. Just because a custom PvP lobby for dueling has restrictions on what amulet you can wear doesn't make it not a viable option for two people to use for dueling.

You don't need to be in the same guild to go into someone else's guild hall to use that halls arena, you just have to be in the same party. Join an established guild that already has one. There should be things that encourage building a guild hall for, and having a guild for, and an arena is one of those things.

edit: an added benefit of these two options is that they also serve as gold/material sinks, which is good for the games economy.

PvP is not a viable option for dueling due to build restrictions.. not just the ammy, but also sigils and runes and the ability to mix and match gear...

As for guild dueling.... when I meet someone that wants to duel, am I supposed to spam map chat asking for 2 temporary party invites to a random guild hall for a duel?I really don't see that working.

They really aren't viable options due to the amount of restrictions and requirements put in place, it's do-able sure, but not viable.

@TexZero.7910 said:

@vampirelazarus.9403 said:What is this, Eve Online?

I don't see any spread sheets anywhere do you?

Don't talk to the raiders :P

Most raiders don't spreadsheet.However, it is still accurate because Dkeyz ...

But more accurately don't talk to trading post barons who have the entire API mapped to a spreadsheet so they can flip, Craft and Flip, or Convert Materials and Flip in a near endless cycle.

I'm one of those TP flippers.

And I was mostly talking about a few years ago, before all the craze of DPS calculators. There were several large spreadsheets floating around that would help you "build a rotation". I recall one having every stat in the game, allowing you to turn on and off boons, etc, etc. At the time I found it, it was too much information all at once for me.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:So considering the fact that there are already at least two options available to accomplish dueling I think ... more thinking less typing is in order.

PvP is not a viable option for dueling due to build restrictions.. not just the ammy, but also sigils and runes and the ability to mix and match gear...

As for guild dueling.... when I meet someone that wants to duel, am I supposed to spam map chat asking for 2 temporary party invites to a random guild hall for a duel?I really don't see that working.

They really aren't viable options due to the amount of restrictions and requirements put in place, it's do-able sure, but not viable.

Yes, even with the amulet, sigil and runes available in sPvP, a custom PvP lobby is a viable atmosphere for dueling. I took a look in the wiki, I found 98 runes in the game total, and 83 of them available in pvp, seems like you still have plenty of choices there. I can't say for sigils but I assume it's about the same. A synonym for "viable" is "usable". Is this system usable as a means to conduct a duel between two or even more than two people? Yes. Lets also take into consideration that you can swap your amulet/sigil/rune freely at will in sPvP, also allowing you to use all the elite specs (assuming you have the expansions) even if you hadn't trained that spec up.

Are you telling me that you are without a guild at all? And this other person is also without a single guild? Sounds like a good reason to go find a guild to join. it is Guild Wars, guilds are kind of important to have, not just for this game but for the MMO genre in general. There is no shortage of guilds recruiting. These are non-issues.

The systems are there for you to use, you just don't want to use them. Anet should not direct it's time and resources into making a dueling system for the open world when they could be doing other, better things with their time, especially when there are the two very much viable, very much usable, very much possible ways of having a duel with another player.

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Khisanth.2948" said:So considering the fact that there are already at least two options available to accomplish dueling I think ... more thinking less typing is in order.

Yes, even with the amulet, sigil and runes available in sPvP, a custom PvP lobby is a viable atmosphere for dueling. I took a look in the wiki, I found 98 runes in the game total, and 83 of them available in pvp, seems like you still have plenty of choices there. I can't say for sigils but I assume it's about the same. A synonym for "viable" is "usable". Is this system
usable
as a means to conduct a duel between two or even more than two people? Yes. Lets also take into consideration that you can swap your amulet/sigil/rune freely at will in sPvP, also allowing you to use all the elite specs (assuming you have the expansions) even if you hadn't trained that spec up.

Are you telling me that you are without a guild at all? And this other person is also without a single guild? Sounds like a good reason to go find a guild to join. it is
Guild Wars
, guilds are kind of important to have, not just for this game but for the MMO genre in general. There is no shortage of guilds recruiting. These are non-issues.

The systems are there for you to use, you just don't want to use them. Anet should not direct it's time and resources into making a dueling system for the open world when they could be doing other, better things with their time, especially when there are the two very much viable, very much usable, very much possible ways of having a duel with another player.

I read this far "Yes, even with the amulet, sigil and runes available in sPvP, a custom PvP lobby is a viable atmosphere for dueling." and realized you didn't comprehend what I said... Hard to duel as a full berserker Elementalist but hey, that's viable to you, just not to me.

Like I said, yes pvp lobbies are do-able, doesn't mean it's viable. (might work great for some people on their warriors or mesmers but not that great for builds like Ele that require some fine tuning)

Before you assume my gender and make any more assumptions to base your "facts" off, I'm maxed out on guilds, so I'd have to drop one to join another for that duel and each guild I'm in has 10 members at most... So not even a guild hall yet on most of them. (and ive got nearly 10k hours played now, can't imagine how hard it is for the newer players)

I'm not denying that dueling is possible, just saying it's not completely viable... Sort of like eating raw meat to satisfy your hunger, you can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

So I look at my options here:If I want to duel, I either have to drop a guild to do it, spend heaps of gold to do it, play with a huge amount of restrictions or wait months to be linked against said player.

Ergo, not viable, just do-able.

I couldn't care less if it's implemented or not, I just don't want people who aren't interested in dueling, the uneducated or the inexperienced to speak on my behalf... Don't tell me it's viable when it's clearly not, it's just do-able.(have you ever tried being a D/D Elementalist vs a warrior in PvP? we only have 2-3 ammies and none of them offer dueling potential.... Guessing not because if you did, you wouldn't say it's a viable option unless you were that Warrior.)

I do agree that Anet could spend time on better things, I shared your current opinion over raids... 1 wing was viable. Time could have been better spent on the other things players actually asked for, like a more fluent dueling system or some PvP balance, maybe fixing WvW as there was meant to be an overhaul during that time period... Would have also liked that new Ascension we were promised each year too.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

Yes, even with the amulet, sigil and runes available in sPvP, a custom PvP lobby is a viable atmosphere for dueling. I took a look in the wiki, I found 98 runes in the game total, and 83 of them available in pvp, seems like you still have plenty of choices there. I can't say for sigils but I assume it's about the same. A synonym for "viable" is "usable". Is this system
usable
as a means to conduct a duel between two or even more than two people? Yes. Lets also take into consideration that you can swap your amulet/sigil/rune freely at will in sPvP, also allowing you to use all the elite specs (assuming you have the expansions) even if you hadn't trained that spec up.

Are you telling me that you are without a guild at all? And this other person is also without a single guild? Sounds like a good reason to go find a guild to join. it is
Guild Wars
, guilds are kind of important to have, not just for this game but for the MMO genre in general. There is no shortage of guilds recruiting. These are non-issues.

I read this far "Yes, even with the amulet, sigil and runes available in sPvP, a custom PvP lobby is a viable atmosphere for dueling." and realized you didn't comprehend what I said... Hard to duel as a full berserker Elementalist but hey, that's viable to you, just not to me.

Like I said, yes pvp lobbies are do-able, doesn't mean it's viable. (might work great for some people on their warriors or mesmers but not that great for builds like Ele that require some fine tuning)

Before you assume my gender and make any more assumptions to base your "facts" off, I'm maxed out on guilds, so I'd have to drop one to join another for that duel and each guild I'm in has 10 members at most... So not even a guild hall yet on most of them. (and ive got nearly 10k hours played now, can't imagine how hard it is for the newer players)

I'm not denying that dueling is possible, just saying it's not completely viable... Sort of like eating raw meat to satisfy your hunger, you can do it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

So I look at my options here:If I want to duel, I either have to drop a guild to do it, spend heaps of gold to do it, play with a huge amount of restrictions or wait months to be linked against said player.

I couldn't care less if it's implemented or not, I just don't want people who aren't interested in dueling, the uneducated or the inexperienced to speak on my behalf... Don't tell me it's viable when it's clearly not, it's just do-able.
(have you ever tried being a D/D Elementalist vs a warrior in PvP? we only have 2-3 ammies and none of them offer dueling potential.... Guessing not because if you did, you wouldn't say it's a viable option unless you were that Warrior.)

I do agree that Anet could spend time on better things, I shared your current opinion over raids... 1 wing was viable. Time could have been better spent on the other things players actually asked for, like a more fluent dueling system or some PvP balance, maybe fixing WvW as there was meant to be an overhaul during that time period... Would have also liked that new Ascension we were promised each year too.

You want to duel as a full berserker ele? I can find 9 other amulets for you to use instead, but you dismiss everything as being nonviable.

Let's say tomorrow Anet puts open world dueling into the game, and it functions perfectly in all ways. You can go up to your warrior buddy and invite them to a duel and whack each other over the head right than and there. You are still going to have a hard time dueling that warrior, and a magical combination of stats/sigil/rune is not going to solve your problem, because there is one other point that hasn't been discussed yet, and that is the fact that this game is not balanced around 1v1, it's balanced around 5v5. The elementalist profession is largely not balanced to duel a warrior. A weaver will have a better chance dueling a warrior, but even than it will be hard. The best you can do is Cellofrag twirling and dancing around with constant evades/auras. So than you're going to have a bunch of people who are going to complain that the game isn't balanced more for their preferred play style. I'd rather Anet focus on what their vision of PvP is going to be in this game, which is organized PvP in groups of 5+. There's a reason that WvW roamers are largely ignored by Anet, it's because they are more interested in making WvW a place for players to fight in groups, not solo, dueling off to the side.

I hope that one of your guilds does finally obtain an arena. There should be reasons to have a guild, there should be reasons to have a guild hall and the arena is one of those things. Plus like I've said before, if you do not have a guild hall with an arena but your opponent does, you can create a party together and go to their guild hall via a waypoint.

edit: Another point I want to add is that PvP is accessible to anyone whether you have a F2P account or you have all expansions. You just need a character to reach level 3. So, we're talking about a very very low bar for entry. It is very much an excellent way for new and old players to duel each other in, that doesn't require much work at all to access. You just want to dismiss it completely because it has 83 of the 98 runes in the game, and it doesn't have that magical stat combination that you need.

@"maddoctor.2738" said:Isn't Bless Online that latest trash Korean game? I guess it failed so badly -already- that people like the OP come here to try to make this game, like a "good Bless Online". Let's ruin both games shall we?

I could not agree with you more if I tried.. but, now you understand how I felt about the people wanting Raids added to this game.

Can people stop trying to turn GW2 into some other MMO.

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

usable

Guild Wars

I couldn't care less if it's implemented or not, I just don't want people who aren't interested in dueling, the uneducated or the inexperienced to speak on my behalf... Don't tell me it's viable when it's clearly not, it's just do-able.
(have you ever tried being a D/D Elementalist vs a warrior in PvP? we only have 2-3 ammies and none of them offer dueling potential.... Guessing not because if you did, you wouldn't say it's a viable option unless you were that Warrior.)

You
want
to duel as a full berserker ele? I can find 9 other amulets for you to use instead, but you dismiss everything as being nonviable.

Let's say tomorrow Anet puts open world dueling into the game, and it functions perfectly in all ways. You can go up to your warrior buddy and invite them to a duel and whack each other over the head right than and there. You are still going to have a hard time dueling that warrior, and a magical combination of stats/sigil/rune is not going to solve your problem, because there is one other point that hasn't been discussed yet, and that is the fact that this game is not balanced around 1v1, it's balanced around 5v5. The elementalist profession is largely not balanced to duel a warrior. A weaver will have a better chance dueling a warrior, but even than it will be hard. The best you can do is Cellofrag twirling and dancing around with constant evades/auras. So than you're going to have a bunch of people who are going to complain that the game isn't balanced more for their preferred play style. I'd rather Anet focus on what their vision of PvP is going to be in this game, which is organized PvP in groups of 5+. There's a reason that WvW roamers are largely ignored by Anet, it's because they are more interested in making WvW a place for players to fight in groups, not solo, dueling off to the side.

I hope that one of your guilds does finally obtain an arena. There should be reasons to have a guild, there should be reasons to have a guild hall and the arena is one of those things. Plus like I've said before, if you do not have a guild hall with an arena but your opponent does, you can create a party together and go to their guild hall via a waypoint.

edit: Another point I want to add is that PvP is accessible to anyone whether you have a F2P account or you have all expansions. You just need a character to reach level 3. So, we're talking about a very very low bar for entry. It is very much an excellent way for new and old players to duel each other in, that doesn't require much work at all to access. You just want to dismiss it completely because it has 83 of the 98 runes in the game, and it doesn't have that magical stat combination that you need.

"The elementalist profession is largely not balanced to duel a warrior." were your exact words and yet you still hold to the notion that PvP dueling is viable and yet in WvW with a fine tuned build, Warriors are extremely easy to handle, the easiest actually.

If only you could understand and comprehend what you just said, because you'd know that the option is not viable, just do-able. WvW is the closest we have to viable at the moment, but to duel friends can mean gem transfers or waiting 6+ weeks.

Anyway, this conversation is over from my end, I said my point, my opinion and my experience and that is it's not viable unless I was playing Warrior/Holo/Mes, give me a zerker D/D ele to fight in PvP on those classes and I'll be telling everyone from here to the moon that PvP dueling is viable.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

@"Matiole.6857" said:

usable

Guild Wars

You
want
to duel as a full berserker ele? I can find 9 other amulets for you to use instead, but you dismiss everything as being nonviable.

"The elementalist profession is largely not balanced to duel a warrior." were your exact words and yet you still hold to the notion that PvP dueling is viable and yet in WvW with a fine tuned build, Warriors are extremely easy to handle, the easiest actually.

If only you could understand and comprehend what you just said, because you'd know that the option is not viable, just do-able. WvW is the closest we have to viable at the moment, but to duel friends can mean gem transfers or waiting 6+ weeks.

Anyway, this conversation is over from my end, I said my point, my opinion and my experience and that is it's not viable unless I was playing Warrior/Holo/Mes, give me a zerker D/D ele to fight in PvP on those classes and I'll be telling everyone from here to the moon that PvP dueling is viable.

So to you dueling in sPvP is not viable because playing as an ele in berserker's amulet is harder than a profession that is more suited towards being a duelist? Well than raiding/fractals/dungeons are not viable because playing as a p/p condi engi is harder than another profession and build that can do it easier and with less effort. There will always be professions and builds that can do content better and easier than others, that does not mean that the content itself is not viable.

Right now, if a new player wanted to have a duel all they'd have to do would be to reach level 3 to access pvp. With a few clicks they could enter into a custom server for dueling and go to town on another player. Not only that but they wouldn't have to spend gold or inventory space on gear, and they wouldn't have to worry about one player being a level higher than they are. Not only is that a viable means to conduct a duel between two players but it's also pretty convenient in my opinion. But you want to continue to dismiss it because d/d berserker ele is not as easy to duel with in that setting than a warrior is.

Open world PvP would do more harm than good. However, the good thing about the idea is that PvP gets better accessible by every player in the game. The two crossed swords at the top of your screen and the Heart of the Mists map is overlooked or forgotten by many players. Arenanet should incorporate PvP more in the ''everyday life'' of the average player. Get rid of HotM and implement an area in Lions Arch that is dedicated to PvP. Send out in-game announcement when an Automated Tournament is about to start. Place some sort of leaderboard somewhere central in LA. Etc etc etc.

@"HeadCrowned.6834" said:Arenanet should incorporate PvP more in the ''everyday life'' of the average player.

In everyday life?

Like, Anet reps visiting people at work and yelling "SURPRISE KITTEN!" before backstabbing them and running away laughing?

ah one those PKers that want to PK in GW2. Get outta here.

Every game there was open world PVP, had to take actions against people like you. No, thank you but no. There is WvW and if you are afraid to que for PvP, why ask for open world PvP?

• 3 months later...

Hmm...I agree with the OP. I was trying GW2 under the impression that was what WvW was, but when I saw it was a que thing, and all the pvp bg's have fixed stats (no point gearing then), then I looked it up to be sure....I'm going to switch back to WoW.

I like open world PvP personally makes it feel more real. If I just wanted a pure "pro" tactical pvp experience, there are TONS of games that do that even better than GW2 I bet! Why be an MMO then?

Even though WoW got rid of mandatory PvP servers, I think the way they supplemented it with an optional, but more exciting abilities system if you opt into open PvP I think was nicely done. This is a type of design elegance I would almost expect from GW2 as well.

I also like a real dirty, unfair MMO version of PvP...which is also why I still play WoW.

A shame too, GW2 is a very aesthetic and charming game, but not quite there for what I want in an MMO!

• 2 weeks later...

I know i will probably get shot down, i have in the past but i still want this idea to be out there. Ofc we know Gw2 to be one of thee best mmorpgs that's stood out from the majority and became it's own genre in a sense. But i still think the Idea of being able to duel a friend in public view or in your favorite map would be cool. I understand it might hurt other game modes, but what if it was just for a week? just to try it out. You can even have friends in party accept if they want to be in a duel if they are in the same party. And not a BIG MENU that POPS up in your FACE like in PVP when you're choosing map / pressing accept. Thoughts?

First, it can't be "tested out for a week," because it involves way too much development effort to even make it available.

Let's also get all the usual back & forth arguments out of the way by assuming that:

• It's opt in only: unless you select the option, people cannot invite you to duel.
  • ANet figures out a way to have two people duel without leaving the instance, without others joining a scrum.
  • ANet figures out a way to either allow duelists to use PvP builds or can figure out how to balance PvE rules so that it's fair in a duel.
  • ANet adds enough support staff (which might be merely one or two people) to ensure that people aren't abusing chat to get duels ("coward, you better fight me!")
  • There are no extra rewards (not even AP) that would cause a whole new set of anti-dueling arguments to overwhelm conversations about rewards.

I'll even throw in the possibility that I might personally like dueling, if ANet were the ones to implement. I didn't think I would like WvW (and I did). I didn't think I'd like mounts, and I love them. So maybe I might like dueling.

But, the vast majority of people don't seem that much interested. So this ends up being a huge expenditure of resources to do it right, to benefit a fraction of the community. At a time when there are dozens of other features we want, this seems like a poor use of ANet's time.

tl;dr I'm not entirely opposed. I just can't imagine that this would be on a priority list for discussing, never mind implementing.

Archived