Server Pride OR Guild Pride: Which is better?

Whiteout.1975

Er Both!

My guild has proudly been on WSR since the beginning and won't leave even when times were really dark at bottom of bronze for years. They have so much server pride that you used to be kicked from the guild if you leave the server, that's obviously changed since HoT as most stopped playing WvW every day and many don't log in more than for a few days every few months.

The power creep really ruined one of the best MMO's I've seen.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've played with the best GvG guilds in the game and I've pugged on several servers. Being in a guild is way more fun and inclusive. You have an actual purpose and sense of being or belonging. Server pride means nothing when winning as a server means nothing. How many people still bring up who won the WvW tournaments compared to who the best guilds are?

Guild Pride is more important, as usually guilds become very familial in nature. Sometimes it just takes meeting the right guild that you click with.

**However there is a caveat to this that some people have trouble making close attachments to people, so those types will generally stick to a server a safer more faceless entity. I think you will have a split of about 60/40 on this.

For me, personally, its server pride. My old guild with friends disbanded over time, as other games appeared on the horizon, then I made a solo-guild, recently, I joined our community-guild. So, since I interact with the whole server community, without any significant preferences, it consequently is server pride for me.

Other people might prefer interacting / communicating within their guild, and thus prefer guild pride.

I guess it comes down to with which part of the server / community you are interacting a lot.

@Tyyphoon.5301 said:In any case, any kind of pride in general is dangerous to have. Hubris goes a long way to deteriorate your mind and soul. Keep it in check.Well spoken, Master Jedi ;)

Server pride used to be a thing a few years ago, but the linkages and the bandwagoning has diluted that almost completely. If anything, the references and ideas we have about servers are about the times where that actually mattered and not about their present day status. Nowdays guild pride is the norm, with server X being regarded in Y way according to what guilds are currently in it.

@Blackarps.1974 said:I've played with the best GvG guilds in the game and I've pugged on several servers. Being in a guild is way more fun and inclusive. You have an actual purpose and sense of being or belonging. Server pride means nothing when winning as a server means nothing. How many people still bring up who won the WvW tournaments compared to who the best guilds are?

Blackgate still stands. all your best guilds are 6' under.

As I see most in more than one Guild .,to which is the loyalty ?...and as i see the guilds dispersed even the so called "famed "..over servers ....again where is this loyalty .At best it is shared and used by convenience .At least Server is singular ....guild loyalty at best is spread .

Guild over Server. Why? I was on SoS from launch up until a year or so back, was even on their pitiful "War Council"; Such a toxic WvW community. It's the people you game with that moulds your gaming experience; I have a great small team of mates who love havoc as much as I do. Chill and co-ordinated, quality over quantity.

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:Server pride took a serious hit when Anet changed to the megaserver in 2014. It was really cool being able to pop into a pve map and rally help(Most of the time you got a pretty good response)Anyone that actually spent time across all the maps before megaservers will know that the game was dying - there wasnt even enough to do basic meta events on some servers. It was 2 years after release and maps where empty, in an era where new MMOs came in bright and died fast. It was a community implosion waiting to happen. Megaservers made the game what it is today. Alive.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Dashingsteel.3410 said:Server pride took a serious hit when Anet changed to the megaserver in 2014. It was really cool being able to pop into a pve map and rally help(Most of the time you got a pretty good response)Anyone that actually spent time across all the maps before megaservers will know that the game was dying - there wasnt even enough to do basic meta events on some servers. It was 2 years after release and maps where empty, in an era where new MMOs came in bright and died fast. It was a community implosion waiting to happen. Megaservers made the game what it is today. Alive.

I agree with you about the megaserver being needed. I still think that the megaserver boosted pve appeal and made wvw less meaningful.

@Knighthonor.4061 said:

@"Turkeyspit.3965" said:The icon on my desktop says Guild Wars 2. I don't know this Server Wars 2 game you speak of...

inb4 obligatory "the name refers to something from the lore"

Well it does. Has nothing to do with player Guilds.

Arenanet cant claim ownership of the word."Guild" already had a firmly established definition within the MMORPG community long before 2005.

Guilds are communities that choose to interract with each other, and often are on good terms. Servers on the other hand include everyone, including people you may find difficult to get along with, due to past issues, or diverging opinions. A coalition of guilds is in my opinion more interesting. As it stands servers, often lack much organization, and are too loose cannony.

It's more easy to feel proud about a guild's achievement, one that you built and participated in, than it is to be drowned in the mass of players of one server, some of them regretting their choice, but not having the funds to change. I feel no "pride" when it comes to my server, especially on WvW. I play among strangers, because everything goes too fast to actually get to Meet and talk with the people running, and I cant even play with my close friends due to them being on different servers (which makes no sense). I am however very proud whenever my guild does Something special or crosses a Milestone, because it is Something we achieved together, and I can tell each and everyone of those who participated "You did well". I cant do that with a server. The server doesn't care about achievements, fun and accolades. It cares about points and loot.

Server Pride doesnt apply in WVW ,its all about stacking to win and always dominate a low population server ,this is where the Guilds comes to play or manipulate a server they will hop in hop out whenever there is advantage to them no fair fight in wvw unless ANET decided to make 4-6 servers only , ppl avoid VWV cause of unfair fights.

@swellercross.3974 said:Server Pride doesnt apply in WVW ,its all about stacking to win and always dominate a low population server ,this is where the Guilds comes to play or manipulate a server they will hop in hop out whenever there is advantage to them no fair fight in wvw unless ANET decided to make 4-6 servers only , ppl avoid VWV cause of unfair fights.

The player base avoids wvw because its a bunch of beta males that believe the wvw is supposed to be fair. Majority of the alpha males left, now its just emo plebs asking people to get on voice coms to socialize and get farmed by the handful of alpha guilds left.

Archived