Why do you play GW2?

Amaranthe.3578

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wvw keeps me here for now.

i liked the lore in gw1. in gw2 i got more and more away from it. i catch myself to just have a quick look at new maps if a new episode comes out and only play them if theres an item i want to have, as soon i got it i leave pve again. like no single character of mine is through the story of the last 2 episodes. if there wasnt wvw i would have left by now which is very likely to happen when camelot unchained gets released.

I am deeply in love with the lore and the world, and because the combat is so active and interesting, the WvW, raid, fractal, and free roaming experiences have become an itch I can't scratch with any other game. These combined with the dynamic events system means I'm bored to tears whenever I try any other MMO.

@"Hugheszie.6291" said:Because Blizzard ruined World of Warcraft and it sucks now.

That....doesnt make any sense.GW2 is probably the worst possible "replacement" for WoW I can think of. At the heart of WoWs game-play lies vertical character progression....which GW2 basically doesnt have.GW2 is a great ultra-casual game for what it is but its extremely different from WoW.

I voted other because I play this game for multiple reasons. I can't imagine many people only play for just the combat but not friends, or they play for lore story and nothing else. I play for a number of reasons and making me choose one is pretty much misleading no matter what I answer.

other - bc i always need an obsessive, time-killing hobby, and basically ANYTHING i get into i end up getting uber duper super obsessed with

i honestly can't say i enjoy this game LOOL (...or anything HAHA)but that is Truth right there 4 me

BUUUT unlike most things in life i don't hate it, the game is chill & cool & all that, and also wow fashion wars

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

1. B2p (No sub)
  2. Minimum p2w
  3. Happen to be there when I was looking for another mmo to play

There is no p2w in GW2.

That is subjective and relative. You might think certain elements as not p2w just because it does not significantly impact the gameplay. However, to me, as long it technically fit the p2w criteria, then, it is a p2w element, regardless of how insignificant it impact the gameplay.

To put it into perspective, a p2w content generally be understood as "any forms of advantage made possible by spending of cash".

So, what kind of advantage? For example ascended, through pure farming or grinding (either maps, fotm, whatever), one will take a certain amount of time to obtain. Relatively, if you compare this between two newbies who started exactly at the same time, play exactly amount of hours etc with only one main difference and that is one of them use cash to purchase gems and convert it to gold to buy things off trading posts. The one with gems will be the first to obtain the ascended. Sure, such advantage may be arguably moot in pve but it can't be said so for wvw.

There are also lot of other advantages. I am sure people who play the game long enough would have seen thread complaining about harvesting item in gem store a p2w item. People complain that because it fall into that definition, technically, regardless of how insignificant it impact the game.

If you want to be "technical," use the term "Pay to win" as it was originally used. It was seen as a characteristic of games that offered items that increased power to give an advantage in competitive play that would be impossible to overcome. To qualify as being P2W, the advantage had to either not be available at all without forking over cash, or the in-game option had to be so onerous that it took an extreme amount of effort to get.

Now, the term "Pay to Win" is being used by different people to refer to any item that can be gained by money that they don't like. That includes ignoring whether there is any advantage in competitive play at all, or if the advantage gained (e.g., by Ascended Gear) is easily obtained by anyone who cares to do what's required to get it via play. I've seen the term used to mock ANet for selling skins in the gem store "because the game is about Fashion Wars."

People are attempting to evolve the term to take advantage of the negative stigma associated with the term as it was used back when that negative connotation actually meant something. This evolution is diluting the term, and is itself subjective and relative.

Archived