Skritt as a playable race

Asking for more tonics that can be used in combat is more realistic, only downside to them is being unable to mount, but at least for general pve and wvw it's fine. Plus with the changes to being able to use tonics with a key-bind it's not that bad.

@starhunter.6015 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@sorudo.9054 said:i much rather want elfs than yet another bend over mistake charr already possess.

The Sylvari are our elven race.

Sylvari are not even close to elves.Elves are (in most cases) are elder race, with powerful knowledge etc, full of themselves about it, taller then humans. Silvari is youngest race on Tyria, naive and most of the time struggling with what is good and bad, smaller then humans. The fact that silvari live in a tree doesn't make them elves. :)

You obviously have not seen their development, even the original designs where Elf wearing plant clothing. The Sylvari are Tyria's Elves for the most part, not all elfves need to be ancient and more powerful then any other races. That is exactly the cookie cutter stereo type Anet wanted to get away from.

I have seen, the assets from early development and yes you are right, they got away from that concept, making silvary not elves, not elves at all.Where am I going with this, Tyria needs elves. :)

@MithranArkanere.8957 said:A single skritt would not be smart enough to do all the things the Commander does.

They would have to be several skritt working together as a single character. At least 5 skritt, or 3 very, very smart ones.

Equipped gear would have to be split between them, so one would wear the helmet amd gloves, another the chest armor and boots, another the pants and shoulders, one would hold main hand weapon, another the offhand, or both would hold a 2h weapon between the two, and while riding two would be on the saddle, and the rest hanging from the mount holding each other's ankles and fluttering up and down while riding like a rag.

As fun as it'll be to have characters with rodent faces like rats, squirres, capibaras and beavers, or having porcupine hair; and as cool as it'd be to do things like an Arc Slicer with 5 skritt, 2 grabbing the greatsword, the other 3 holding them and twirling around, or a Mateor Shower with 2 skritt holding the staff and the other 3 doing a little dance around them; it'll be quite a lot of work for a tribal race that is udnerdeveloped and has very little cultural memory and too much unknown lore that is unknown because they simply can't remember it for too long.

How dare you ! .... Now I need something that will never come..~~

@phs.6089 said:

@phs.6089 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:i much rather want elfs than yet another bend over mistake charr already possess.

The Sylvari are our elven race.

Sylvari are not even close to elves.Elves are (in most cases) are elder race, with powerful knowledge etc, full of themselves about it, taller then humans. Silvari is youngest race on Tyria, naive and most of the time struggling with what is good and bad, smaller then humans. The fact that silvari live in a tree doesn't make them elves. :)

You obviously have not seen their development, even the original designs where Elf wearing plant clothing. The Sylvari are Tyria's Elves for the most part, not all elfves need to be ancient and more powerful then any other races. That is exactly the cookie cutter stereo type Anet wanted to get away from.

I have seen, the assets from early development and yes you are right, they got away from that concept, making silvary not elves, not elves at all.Where am I going with this, Tyria needs elves. :)

They decided to actively subvert the elf tropes, so no - Tyria does not need elves. In my opinion, adding elves based on the Tolkienian style (ancient, wise, undying or extremely long-lived) would be a dilution of what sets Tyria apart as a setting.

For the role of ancient, knowledgeable sages there are a couple options established in the game world:

• Forgotten
  • Seers
  • Mursaat
  • Djinn

Unfortunately, ANet have been pretty actively killing off all of these but the Djinn. I'm disappointed in what LS3 did with Lazarus the Dire, even though I really liked seeing Livia again.

I'm a bit confused by their handling of the Forgotten - The Exalted's lore include "the last of the Forgotten", yet there's fairly large numbers of Branded Forgotten (presumably alive before being branded) in PoF and Kralkatorrik only created the Brand 12 years ago (8 years before HoT)!

@phs.6089 said:I have seen, the assets from early development and yes you are right, they got away from that concept, making silvary not elves, not elves at all.Where am I going with this, Tyria needs elves. :)The humans are Tyria's ancient, magical, pretty people. Also in decline, apparently. There you go. :)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:Just as a reminder: this thread is about skritt as a playable race.

(Maybe it's worth starting a different thread to chat about whether Sylvari serve the same trope role as Elves in other games or what Tyria needs or doesn't need in terms of new races.)

This topic has been discussed already as well. A simple search can lead the interested to the discussions.

We already have a race of obnoxious rats, no need for another.

I don't see how controlling a commander who's dumb as rocks and gets distracted everytime something glitters, would have any appeal besides pure meme factor.

Anet doesn't seem to have any interest in making new races, but even if they did, they would probably pick something humanoid. Easier to adapt existing meshes and more popular.

@Samnang.1879 said:no plz not another uglee race (we already have asuras, charrs and sylvaris for that category)

i'd rather have largos if we have to have a new race, or quaggans (at least they're cute) or even Choyas (at least they're funny)

Where did the thumb down option go?This is strictly an Asura forum ;)

We definitely need more beastly races. I look jealously on said options from eso...Skritt and quaggan seem unlikely due to their size.

Everyone complains it would mess up the personal story but I don't see why the commander couldn't wander into a new asura tranogrification bay device and get turned into a new race. Would have to complete your story or forgoe doing it any further than the release of said machine.

There is a pretty simple solution to this problem, without creating a new race. Of course ANet has to do something, but compared to creating and implementing a new race, this would be a lot less work. We already have a pretty cool feature with the transformation tonics. There is even a small list of transformations which have the ability to use regular skills. These transformations can already use gliders without problems. They however lack the ability to ride mounts at the moment and a couple of other features.

So can you please give them the ability to ride mounts, appear in cutscenes and just do what normal character models can do? Probably add a few more with different higher & lower races of Tyria and different genders. Sell them on the gemstore if you like. I would rather buy one of these than those funny mount-skins, for the same price.