I just looted 400 gems while gathering...

Ok I have no idea what just happened, I was gathering in my home instance and as I gathered from the new mistborn node I saw 400 gems get looted on the right side of my screen, for a second I thought I was seeing things so checked the BLTP and sure enough I had 400 gems added. Has this happened to anyone else? or is there some other explanation for this? I honestly don't understand how it happened.

That definitely sounds like an AP chest, since those always give 400 gems. Only other thing I can think of is that you were getting a refund for something, but if that was the case you'd presumably know what happened.

But as far as I know there's nothing in game which awards gems other than AP chests.

@Balsa.3951 said:400 gems sounds a lot like AP chest or a Good Samaritan send u gems ? Can people gift gems ? If not anet misses out on a great money opportunity

Other players can only gift items from the gem store, not gems. Of course you can buy a gem card and give the code (or the whole card) to someone else, but that would be done outside the game.

@Jayden Reese.9542 said:Maybe he opened a ton of bags and chests right before opening the achievement chest then started hitting his home nodes and since the loot was far behind on the right side it caught up then. I can't remember where the gems show up as it was a while ago I hit the 5k threshold

Nope, as explained I opened my achievement chest weeks ago, what I think may have happened is maybe I didn't receive the gems back then and they were given to me today just randomly as I was mining, I had not opened anything prior to farming my home instance.

@Balsa.3951 said:400 gems sounds a lot like AP chest or a Good Samaritan send u gems ? Can people gift gems ? If not anet misses out on a great money opportunity

No, you can give purple money to buy gems, or use the gift button to send items, but not gems.

Kind of a shame, too, i had wanted to give a friend some gems for their birthday, but instead i had to ask them what they wanted, instead