Why should I get a Skyscale if I have a Griffon?

Reasons will vary. Here are the reasons I personally enjoy having both:

• Skyscale can hang out in the air safely, or quickly get up to a ledge out of aggro, while I check my map or forum guides (griffon offers high speed aerial transit and dives)
  • Skyscale collection was fun and kept me very involved with the game for a week for my own sake and continues to keep me engaged helping friends work on it (griffon helps a lot with getting to things for skyscale and for other fast map transits)
  • Skyscale will in time almost certainly have as many interesting skins as griffon (griffon continues to have some wonderful looks)
  • Skyscale is needed to make the new trinket; while I don't care at all about having that or not, the beginning collections for that are fairly fun and simple and give 10 AP each and I am under 200 AP away from the radiant chest skin with daily AP capped

As far as both flying, it does come down to the jet vs helicopter comparison. Griffon gets you there fast, skyscale gets you there precisely and with room to correct if you aim poorly.

@Donari.5237 said:Reasons will vary. Here are the reasons I personally enjoy having both:

• Skyscale can hang out in the air safely, or quickly get up to a ledge out of aggro, while I check my map or forum guides (griffon offers high speed aerial transit and dives)
  • Skyscale collection was fun and kept me very involved with the game for a week for my own sake and continues to keep me engaged helping friends work on it (griffon helps a lot with getting to things for skyscale and for other fast map transits)
  • Skyscale will in time almost certainly have as many interesting skins as griffon (griffon continues to have some wonderful looks)
  • Skyscale is needed to make the new trinket; while I don't care at all about having that or not, the beginning collections for that are fairly fun and simple and give 10 AP each and I am under 200 AP away from the radiant chest skin with daily AP capped

As far as both flying, it does come down to the jet vs helicopter comparison. Griffon gets you there fast, skyscale gets you there precisely and with room to correct if you aim poorly.

Is the griffon required for the Skyscale? Any masteries? I have all but the last mastery for each mount except griffon and Skyscale which I have yet to obtain.

@archmagus.7249 said:

@Donari.5237 said:Reasons will vary. Here are the reasons I personally enjoy having both:

Is the griffon required for the Skyscale? Any masteries? I have all but the last mastery for each mount except griffon and Skyscale which I have yet to obtain.

Griffon is not required to get the skyscale, and I can't think of any mastery blocks I would have potentially run into while working on it either.

The griffon certainly isn't required but does make it easier to get to some of the egg training and troublesome skyscale locations. For example when I was starting on the egg magics I began in Vabbi. Someone called out that the Foundry was open for Fire and I zipped over, griffoned down and swooped through the falling lava for egg credit then flapped right on up again to get out without ever having to fight a single mob just to get where I wanted to go.

I've been using the skyscale as my main mount ever since I got it.

It's a little slower, but I love the convenience. It's nice not having to switch between Springer and Griffin all the time. It can get on top of most ledges with relative ease and makes navigating dangerous maps feel a lot nicer. You're almost always out of aggro if you are flying.

It really depends whether you prefer convenience or speed.

The other thing that occurred to me, if you want to be lazy on the Jahai Bluffs Shatterer fight and spear Riftstalkers from the air on cooldown, it's much easier to do that on a mount that you don't have to put so much effort into flying. I'm not sure whether you'd actually be a net contributor to the battle though since the cooldown is 15 seconds...

But either way. Anything that involves air-to-ground attacks, they'll be easier to line up with a Skyscale. It currently doesn't matter much, but it might someday.

@MrForz.1953 said:

@BlueJin.4127 said:Griffon isn’t flying. It’s falling with style.

With enough room for a descent the griffon can easily maintain its altitude, hell it may even climb a little with repeated maneuvers.

Griffy requires landing (even for just a moment) on terrain for net altitude gains, unless you have the Bond of Faith mastery and a glider with the Updraft or Ley-line masteries unlocked and some updrafts or ley-lines to ride. Wing Flap by itself won't restore as much altitude as you lose between flaps.

The Dragocopter can make altitude gains by touching vertical surfaces once you have Wall Launch unlocked, and resets its altitude base when you land on terrain. Overall, Griffy is mostly for going down in a fairly controlled way, while the Skyscale is for going up.

Archived