AFK Players in Dragon Bash Arena

PSA Please please please if you are going to join a map do not AFK it takes all of us and it's not fair for you to just sit there and do nothing. Thank you.

So, doing the arena in Holbrek and so many times there are people in the map just sitting on the sidelines. While we fought and they got rewards blocking people from entering the map who actually wanted to fight. It was me and 2 others playing along with a solo person plus the do nothing guy. The first time it was just this guy....the second and third time it was 2 to 3 sitting out. We failed the final boss (one eye guy in the second round) and he blamed us for "sucking" and said we should not worry about afk players (which was him) and focus on doing the work. I screen shot it all but it's on my PC. Anyway...the first guy I took pics of what I said and what he said. I can't seem to upload an image from my phone :-(

This is the first time: keep in mind he said he was a new player returning trying to figure out how to play a necro. Ok well of you are so new how do you have over 200 master points as well as most who are trying to learn actually TRY and use skills. No joke he just stood there. I had been killed and was ressing on the deck and just watched....nothing. Then I started paying attention. Still nothing.

Second round guy hid on top of the hill after someone called him out. Anyway, this was what was said. All I said was we were changing maps so the solo guy could join us and not think we just left him high and dry. All I said it was a crappy thing to do and we were changing maps. Because IT IS. His reply is there as well. But again can't get it to load. He said he was going to post to forum so I wanted to give my side. Trust me I have heard WAAAAAY worse. In fact the guy in the second round was downright nasty. It's like if you are at work and your coworker sits and does absolutely nothing....are you going over to him and say "hey why don't I just do your work so you can get paid?" I don't think so. Anyway, just needed to get it out there.

I am prob one of the most easy goin folks out there but this is just not right. We met a new friend out of it and a new player so I sent him and exp booster even though I just met him because we are overall a great community. I just needed to say the WHOLE story because there are ALWAYS 2 sides. Thanks for listening...reading...have a great night and keep doing your best to keep this place wonderful. Anet please give us a report option for AFK players. Thank you.

Old topic, new event..AFK players are not a priority in GW2.. they are just left to get on others nerves and ruin the fun and ambiance while you go about trying to carry them through content.. visit any WB or meta event and you will see all the same players do the exact same thing.Either carry on until either you succeed or fail, or leave the map/instance, regroup and go again is all you can do. Just add any genuine AFK trolls to your block list and hopefully you wont get them in your groups anymore.Then again that's often a problem.. not all AFK'ers are there simply to leech and troll, some might just be genuine... no way to tell really in these kinds of situations, unless like your AFK'er they like to make a loud proud statement about their exploits.

Posting screenshots of in-game behaviour is considered namecalling on the forums, so no matter how justified you just shouldn't do it. You can however open a ticket with support where you attach your screenshots as a way to report the behaviour. It's an alternative to the in-game reporting feature since that can't transport the full scope of what you are reporting. If you find somebody wilfully interrupting other people's gameplay and don't just want to let it slide, that's the way to go.

If on the other hand you are simply worried about them talking bad about yourself and your friends on the forum, for one they are restricted by the same rules of not calling out another player by screenshot/character name/account name as everybody else, and for another my experience is that a lot of people like that really only make empty threats to bully others. Report (either in game or via ticket if there is conversation/screenshots/videos to explain the situation), block if you don't want to see what they write anymore, and move on. ANet will decide whether they have broken any rules and act accordingly, but by then you are out of the picture and it really is only between ANet and the troll from there on.

@"Michaylor.8943" said:Thank you! I didn't know if you blocked them if they could still show in your match. That will help!!! Just sucks. It kept happening over and over last night. Just a real shame.

While I agree that AFK leeching is just disrepectful and a show of bad character, it is still better than some of those "funny people" (replace term with preferred insult) who deliberately harm the team - like a few days back where one person, during the Tarir meta, slipped into an armor and kept pushing those explosive blossoms straight into the blob that was the squad attacking the Octovine. It's a shame ANet made this game f2p, the amount of misbehaving, ill-mannered players has rapidly increased since.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Michaylor.8943" said:Thank you! I didn't know if you blocked them if they could still show in your match. That will help!!! Just sucks. It kept happening over and over last night. Just a real shame.

While I agree that AFK leeching is just disrepectful and a show of bad character, it is still better than some of those "funny people" (replace term with preferred insult) who deliberately harm the team - like a few days back where one person, during the Tarir meta, slipped into an armor and kept pushing those explosive blossoms straight into the blob that was the squad attacking the Octovine. It's a shame ANet made this game f2p, the amount of misbehaving, ill-mannered players has rapidly increased since.

What has f2p got to do with behaviour in a paid expansion?

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Do you get rewarded in the Arena with no participation?If not, it doesn't matter if anyone AFKs, as there is no scaling there.

Regardless, the forum is not the venue you seek; you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link, or best venue, use the in-game reporting tool.

That was my question too. AFAIK you have to tag the mobs to get credit, course I wouldn't know otherwise since my momma taught me never to afk in group content.

@Michaylor.8943 said:Thank you! I didn't know if you blocked them if they could still show in your match. That will help!!! Just sucks. It kept happening over and over last night. Just a real shame.

No blocking wont make them unable to join your match or groups just unable to speak to you or make you see their typing in map, team, party, say etc.

@Turkeyspit.3965 said:

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:Do you get rewarded in the Arena with no participation?If not, it doesn't matter if anyone AFKs, as there is no scaling there.

Regardless, the forum is not the venue you seek; you can contact the CS Team via the 'Support' link, or best venue, use the in-game reporting tool.

That was my question too. AFAIK you have to tag the mobs to get credit, course I wouldn't know otherwise since my momma taught me never to afk in group content.If the dragon bash arena doesn't scale to the number of players (and it seems that way to me, although that's purely my personal impression), then the afk player is making it harder for everybody else by blocking one spot in the instance that otherwise could've gone to somebody helping in the fights. If it does scale it's still scaled to one person more than are actually fighting.

@Ashantara.8731 said:It's a shame ANet made this game f2p, the amount of misbehaving, ill-mannered players has rapidly increased since.I've not seen any numbers that support this contention. The game has always had trolls, as evidenced in e.g. the number of portals placed after the TD meta. It's always had AFK players. It's always had leeches. It's never a huge fraction of the community; it's just very noticeable.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I can't imagine there are too many AFKers in an instance (now, anyway) that it keeps other players out.Whenever I join the Arena, there's only a few players (and no AFKers that I can see).

That's been my experience.

And so far, I've yet to see any failures. At worst, a few people go down and get auto-rez'd (although usually, those of us still up can manage).

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Ashantara.8731 said:It's a shame ANet made this game f2p, the amount of misbehaving, ill-mannered players has rapidly increased since.I've not seen any numbers that support this contention. The game has always had trolls, as evidenced in e.g. the number of portals placed after the TD meta. It's always had AFK players. It's always had leeches. It's never a huge fraction of the community; it's just very noticeable.

I agree the game turned when it went free to play, though I cannot say f2p caused it. Either way, what we're talking about here is player perception so seeking data to support or refute the claim isn't going to be very helpful . . .

@Linken.6345 said:

@Michaylor.8943 said:Thank you! I didn't know if you blocked them if they could still show in your match. That will help!!! Just sucks. It kept happening over and over last night. Just a real shame.

No blocking wont make them unable to join your match or groups just unable to speak to you or make you see their typing in map, team, party, say etc.

Pretty sure if your the one posting the lfg blocked players are unable to join.If someone else in the group is posting I guess that level of control is lost

@Gop.8713 said:

we're talking about here is player perception so seeking data to support or refute the claim isn't going to be very helpful . . .

The previous poster made a factual claim, not a statement of their personal perception.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:I've not seen any numbers that support this contention.

That is, of course, my personal opinion based on personal experience. I doubt there was a study done on it. ;) It could coincide time-wise, of couse.

P.S. Then again, when I compare chat logs from 10 years ago (GW1, for instance) with those from the past couple of years, it might as well be a general phenomenon that the level of manners and intelligent conversation in games has decreased.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I've not seen any numbers that support this contention.

That is, of course, my personal opinion based on personal experience. I doubt there was a study done on it. ;) It could coincide time-wise, of couse.

Again, what you wrote was:

the amount of misbehaving, ill-mannered players has rapidly increased since.That's phrased as a statement of fact, one for which you provided no evidence. If it's just your opinion, you could have posted, "I feel like the amount of ill-mannered players has increased since F2P."

P.S. Then again, when I compare chat logs from 10 years ago (GW1, for instance) with those from the past couple of years, it might as well be a general phenomenon that the level of manners and intelligent conversation in games has decreased.It's interesting if you've kept chat logs for 10 years for every conversation you've ever had. Even then, that would only show that chats in which you've engaged have changed in their character. And there are all sorts of reasons why that might be true, only some of which would involve a change in the character of the people playing games.

Your perceptions are important to how you feel about the game, whether based on evidence or just on your impressions. Your perceptions (along with everyone else's) should be important to ANet in deciding what changes to prioritize. I hope it's also clear that the facts are also important in guiding such decisions. Recognizing the difference also makes it easier to discuss the topic, because we all should (in theory) be able to agree about the facts, even if we strongly disagree about how we perceive the situation.

@Rasimir.6239 said:Posting screenshots of in-game behaviour is considered namecalling on the forums, so no matter how justified you just shouldn't do it. You can however open a ticket with support where you attach your screenshots as a way to report the behaviour. It's an alternative to the in-game reporting feature since that can't transport the full scope of what you are reporting. If you find somebody wilfully interrupting other people's gameplay and don't just want to let it slide, that's the way to go.

If on the other hand you are simply worried about them talking bad about yourself and your friends on the forum, for one they are restricted by the same rules of not calling out another player by screenshot/character name/account name as everybody else, and for another my experience is that a lot of people like that really only make empty threats to bully others. Report (either in game or via ticket if there is conversation/screenshots/videos to explain the situation), block if you don't want to see what they write anymore, and move on. ANet will decide whether they have broken any rules and act accordingly, but by then you are out of the picture and it really is only between ANet and the troll from there on.

I did not post it and the screens I took via phone names are redacted just fyi....I tried to report but there is no afk option so I was not sure what to pick needed advice. Wanted to check out options and not sure if anet reviewed maybe it would help.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Gop.8713 said:

we're talking about here is player perception so seeking data to support or refute the claim isn't going to be very helpful . . .

The previous poster made a factual claim, not a statement of their personal perception.

True, but if someone makes a factual claim about their own perceptions that's really just an opinion whether they realize it or not. Data still isn't going to be very helpful there. The most it could possibly accomplish is convince them that they're just stating their opinion, which leaves them in the same place they were before just using a different word. Their complaint would be the same and the situation would not have improved . . .

@Bloodstealer.5978 said:

Pretty sure if your the one posting the leg blocked players are unable to join.If someone else in the grip is posting I guess that level of control is lost

I know for a fact it dont work like this since when commanding raids I had blocked people join.Kicked since they dident speak or link stuff and had a squad member ask why I kicked the guy since they saw the linking.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:I can't imagine there are too many AFKers in an instance (now, anyway) that it keeps other players out.Whenever I join the Arena, there's only a few players (and no AFKers that I can see).

Again and regardless, this is not the venue. Just report and move on.I find that most instances fill quickly. I rarely play in instances with less than the maximum amount of players, but it might just be my playtime (primetime evenings on EU).

That said, I did have a useless player in the instance last night. They weren't exactly AFK, but restricted their contribution to hitting each boss exactly once and otherwise standing around in the arena imobily, or more often than not lying downed on the floor after being run over by mobs and bosses. The rest of the team got along of course, sometimes better than others (depending on who switched out of the instance and who replaced them), but seing somebody leaching everybody else's contribution to essentially get free dragon coffers does get on your nerves after a while.

@Michaylor.8943 said:

@Rasimir.6239 said:Posting screenshots of in-game behaviour is considered namecalling on the forums, so no matter how justified you just shouldn't do it. You can however open a ticket with support where you attach your screenshots as a way to report the behaviour. It's an alternative to the in-game reporting feature since that can't transport the full scope of what you are reporting. If you find somebody wilfully interrupting other people's gameplay and don't just want to let it slide, that's the way to go.

I did not post it and the screens I took via phone names are redacted just fyi....I tried to report but there is no afk option so I was not sure what to pick needed advice. Wanted to check out options and not sure if anet reviewed maybe it would help.You could try botting. As far as I recall that one was advised for reporting afk players in pvp matches a long time ago.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

And yet free to play players can't actually do the Octovine. Someone had to buy HoT to do that.