WVW-is this the endgame mode

Bandwagon.4512

When this game launched some years back, i still remember the devs talking about the new fight mode called wvw. We never saw anything like that in GW1 and i was super excited with the hype and indeed, when the game launched, wvw delivered even with its flaws, it was an amazing game mode.Essentially, WVW was the end game mode for most of the players, we play this game mostly in WVWSo my question @Anet is WHY did you guys lose focus from the end game and spent all your energy on living story content....i believe even though it is the absolute best thing created after bread and jam, the new LS is talked about only for 1-2 months more after its launched. Me, i have only played each episode on 1-3 of my toons, never more than that since the rewards tend to be account bound and i get most of my achievements this way. SO, after the LS is played by all the players in 1-2 months, what do they do next, do they quit and wait for Anet to launch the next LS? No, what they do is return to end game mode like wvw, something you can play everyday and enjoy.

Anet, you put all your energy for temporary game modes and wasted your efforts with marketing something people forget in a week or two, IF only you had spent half the energy and resources on end game modes, this game would have been something else.

RIP GW2, you lived a good life.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PvE has been fostered significantly more.

It’s has proven to pull more players in therefore better revenue generating

Those same players do not enjoy the actual risk of ‘dying’ in a game, so an actual challenge to their play is anathema.

So.... PvE will continue to get the largest amount of attention.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:PvE has been fostered significantly more.

Those same players do not enjoy the actual risk of ‘dying’ in a game, so an actual challenge to their play is anathema.

Agreed on PVE being the number one draw factor for gw2, but what keeps them playing after they do the latest Living Story or PVE map is what i am mentioning as end game modes. No one keeps playing LS again and again...they just play it for the achieves/lore/loot etc, not for the joy of the game. Once, those few weeks are over, you would find most new maps dead, like not a soul in sight dead! Wait for metas to start to see people again(now a days many meta maps also dont have enough to win)So you see, if you want to retain the new arrivals, you need to keep them hooked on end game content, like wvw, they can play everyday and it wont be so repetitive.

WvW has always been more of a novelty than endgame content. It drew in a lot of people early on but the rewards and the challenge simply aren't there to keep the attention of long term players that are going to continue spending money on the game. That's what raids and fractals do, with living world episodes keeping people coming back when they care more about story and new content. Anet can't very well make new content for WvW when everyone throws a fit the moment something gets changed.

@Aaron Forestman.4758 said:WvW has always been more of a novelty than endgame content. It drew in a lot of people early on but the rewards and the challenge simply aren't there to keep the attention of long term players that are going to continue spending money on the game. That's what raids and fractals do, with living world episodes keeping people coming back when they care more about story and new content. Anet can't very well make new content for WvW when everyone throws a fit the moment something gets changed.

I agree with you about the wvw rewards being lackluster to hand me downs from PVE, at best. But if you are a veteran of wvw, you would see most guilds/people pay from their pocket to keep playing the game, they are not driven by loot. That is one big factor, which is different from other game modes. Heck, even pvp earns you gold/loot much more than any wvw guy could ever earn, but like it as much as i can, i still love wvw more.....to me, playing wvw is never a chore, unlike that achieve i need to get on pve, which is not something i ever want to repeat unless i am driven again by the loot incentive.

@Bandwagon.4512 said:

@Strider Pj.2193 said:PvE has been fostered significantly more.

Agreed on PVE being the number one draw factor for gw2, but what keeps them playing after they do the latest Living Story or PVE map is what i am mentioning as end game modes. No one keeps playing LS again and again...they just play it for the achieves/lore/loot etc, not for the joy of the game. Once, those few weeks are over, you would find most new maps dead, like not a soul in sight dead! Wait for metas to start to see people again(now a days many meta maps also dont have enough to win)So you see, if you want to retain the new arrivals, you need to keep them hooked on end game content, like wvw, they can play everyday and it wont be so repetitive.

WvW has always been my endgame.

And as long as the lights are on, it will be.

Big problem with guild wars 2 pve is that it sucks... PvP was always its best feature but they killed it slowly but surely over years of neglect. If they put some effort into wvw it would easily be the number 1 game mode that could attract both pve and PvP players but they never gave the game mode a chance.

@Bandwagon.4512 said:When this game launched some years back, i still remember the devs talking about the new fight mode called wvw. We never saw anything like that in GW1 and i was super excited with the hype and indeed, when the game launched, wvw delivered even with its flaws, it was an amazing game mode.Essentially, WVW was the end game mode for most of the players, we play this game mostly in WVWSo my question @Anet is WHY did you guys lose focus from the end game and spent all your energy on living story content....i believe even though it is the absolute best thing created after bread and jam, the new LS is talked about only for 1-2 months more after its launched. Me, i have only played each episode on 1-3 of my toons, never more than that since the rewards tend to be account bound and i get most of my achievements this way. SO, after the LS is played by all the players in 1-2 months, what do they do next, do they quit and wait for Anet to launch the next LS? No, what they do is return to end game mode like wvw, something you can play everyday and enjoy.

Anet, you put all your energy for temporary game modes and wasted your efforts with marketing something people forget in a week or two, IF only you had spent half the energy and resources on end game modes, this game would have been something else.

R u 1st time poster or r u rlly spy acct who afraid 2 use main acct 2 say these stuffs?

@Swagger.1459 said:

@Bandwagon.4512 said:When this game launched some years back, i still remember the devs talking about the new fight mode called wvw. We never saw anything like that in GW1 and i was super excited with the hype and indeed, when the game launched, wvw delivered even with its flaws, it was an amazing game mode.Essentially, WVW was the end game mode for most of the players, we play this game mostly in WVWSo my question @Anet is WHY did you guys lose focus from the end game and spent all your energy on living story content....i believe even though it is the absolute best thing created after bread and jam, the new LS is talked about only for 1-2 months more after its launched. Me, i have only played each episode on 1-3 of my toons, never more than that since the rewards tend to be account bound and i get most of my achievements this way. SO, after the LS is played by all the players in 1-2 months, what do they do next, do they quit and wait for Anet to launch the next LS? No, what they do is return to end game mode like wvw, something you can play everyday and enjoy.

R u 1st time poster or r u rlly spy acct who afraid 2 use main acct 2 say these stuffs?

i am a mix of all of the above. Also, at this point, no one cares about being afraid. Being a non main account means, people dont view you from any individual server/guild based mind set and hey, this is all about viewing your thoughts, dont matter who says it, right>

I agree they need to do something, wvw used to be a huge part of game play. And yes its neglected im not a big pvp/wvw but i do love doing it when i can get into a good map with people. I think its folly to ignore any part of your games content. There is interest there for all forms of gameplay, and they would have a lot of new and returned players to pvp/and wvw if they would restructure it, add some new features ,map types. I do all kinds of content in the game even raid some, and i will always say you dont ignore a whole section of your games players just because you think open world is the only game mode worth a dang.

Now lets have a little fun on memory lane. And pray they do something for the pvp/wvw modes because dammit i do so enjoy them.

@Bandwagon.4512 said:Anet, you put all your energy for temporary game modes and wasted your efforts with marketing something people forget in a week or two, IF only you had spent half the energy and resources on end game modes, this game would have been something else.

Woah. Back up a little ... WASTED their time? That perspective is way off base. That doesn't really make sense with the state of the game. I'm willing to be that if they didn't 'waste' their efforts in something else, this game wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

The ONLY reason this game exists is because lots of people like it's PVE ... so instead of thinking the 'temporary' game mode that most people play is some kind of waste, you should probably be thanking those people for supporting the game enough so you could have whatever fun you managed in WvW.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@Bandwagon.4512 said:Anet, you put all your energy for temporary game modes and wasted your efforts with marketing something people forget in a week or two, IF only you had spent half the energy and resources on end game modes, this game would have been something else.

Woah. Back up a little ... WASTED their time? That perspective is way off base. That doesn't really make sense with the state of the game. I'm willing to be that if they didn't 'waste' their efforts in something else, this game wouldn't have lasted as long as it has.

The ONLY reason this game exists is because lots of people like it's PVE ... so instead of thinking the 'temporary' game mode that most people play is some kind of waste, you should probably be thanking those people for supporting the game enough so you could have whatever fun you managed in WvW.

WVW players put the same if not more money in to the game as a PvE player.PVE players farm thousands of golds, WvW buys hundreds of golds.

Its only natural that a WvW player whips out the credit card before the guy with thousands of gold does.

So YOU should be thanking us for YOUR living stories and huge amounts of pve content.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

WVW players put the same if not more money in to the game as a PvE player.PVE players farm thousands of golds, WvW buys hundreds of golds.

Its only natural that a WvW player whips out the credit card before the guy with thousands of gold does.

So YOU should be thanking us for YOUR living stories and huge amounts of pve content.

Really? What makes you think so?

Let me hit you hard with some reality. Do you know why WvW doesn't get massive upgrades? I can assure you it's not because all the WvW players are carrying the game with all the gem sales they make for PVE players and their PVE content.

So care to try again?

@sephiroth.4217 said:WVW players put the same if not more money in to the game as a PvE player.PVE players farm thousands of golds, WvW buys hundreds of golds.So YOU should be thanking us for YOUR living stories and huge amounts of pve content.I can't seem to agree with this? What the hell does a WvW player need gold for? Used to be paying for siege and upgrades but....that's years ago. Please don't say transferring.

@Dinas Dragonbane.2978 said:

@sephiroth.4217 said:WVW players put the same if not more money in to the game as a PvE player.PVE players farm thousands of golds, WvW buys hundreds of golds.So YOU should be thanking us for YOUR living stories and huge amounts of pve content.I can't seem to agree with this? What the hell does a WvW player need gold for? Used to be paying for siege and upgrades but....that's years ago. Please don't say transferring.

It's easy to not agree with it ... because it's nonsense. There is no way in hell all the WvW players are supporting the game with gem sales to such an extent for the lions share of dev time and effort to be put towards PVE content. The ocean doesn't have this much salt.

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"Bandwagon.4512" said:Anet, you put all your energy for temporary game modes and wasted your efforts with marketing something people forget in a week or two, IF only you had spent half the energy and resources on end game modes, this game would have been something else.

Really? What makes you think so?

Let me hit you
hard
with some reality. Do you know why WvW doesn't get massive upgrades? I can assure you it's not because all the WvW players are carrying the game with all the gem sales they make for PVE players and their PVE content.

So care to try again?

Why would I try simple logic again? Personally I know 2 people that have put nearly 10 grand into the game. They only WvW and PvP.

You're going to sit there and say your garbage, thats fine. We'll add it to the list of memes you created like "jUsT aDaPt" and "WaRcLaW iS goOd fOr WvW."

"OnLy pVe PlAYeRs SpeNd MoneY oN gaMe yOu sHouLd ThanK uS foR yoUr sIde gaMe"

@Bandwagon.4512 said:Agreed on PVE being the number one draw factor for gw2, but what keeps them playing after they do the latest Living Story or PVE map

They farm for gold and materials for ascended gear so that they can do raids, or open world pve a little bit better, most DO NOT go into wvw or pvp. Champ trains? That's still a thing, World Bosses? TOTALLY still a thing, Silverwaste/Istan runs? HoT zone metas even still happen regularly, hell even people are still running HP trains in hot and pof zones, and I can't really talk about raids because they are not my thing.

Op is right about something. Why you think all the big games are pvp? They require less effort to make, and the content is endlessly recyclable. You make just 3 wvw maps and they are played for hours, days, weeks, months and years... Pve maps don't have that kinda retention at ALL.. you play through the content.. then you don't really get back to the map all that much anymore. Then you need a new map..

@Obtena.7952 said:

@"sephiroth.4217" said:WVW players put the same if not more money in to the game as a PvE player.PVE players farm thousands of golds, WvW buys hundreds of golds.So YOU should be thanking us for YOUR living stories and huge amounts of pve content.I can't seem to agree with this? What the hell does a WvW player need gold for? Used to be paying for siege and upgrades but....that's years ago. Please don't say transferring.

It's easy to not agree with it ... because it's nonsense. There is no way in hell all the WvW players are supporting the game with gem sales to such an extent for the lions share of dev time and effort to be put towards PVE content. The ocean doesn't have this much salt.

And what about the people with feet in both ponds so to speak? Why are we talking as though people who enjoy WvW/PvP mostly don't also play PvE from time to time? You see plenty of people in WvW- regulars sporting gemstore outfits, weapon skins, exclusive glider skins, warclaw skins, etc, some of them items directly from the gem store- some gained from black lion chests etc. -not to mention the money that goes into paying for server transfers for those who do that.

What confuses me is why in hell we're talking as though ANet, the company so flush it cut a third of its workers, shouldn't worry if people who enjoy certain elements of their games but feel them neglected, begin complaining, talking about other games and/or leaving for other games? I mean, I suppose they could just cross their arms and tell the community, "Nature abhors a vacuum," or 'If you don't enjoy it then there's the door." the hitch being that a, that vacuum tends to be WoW and other games on the market and b, apart from such a thing deviating from their usual lack of communication, up til now they haven't had to tell people to leave. They just do it on their own after being ignored for so long.

Either way people wouldn't be fighting for a share of the attention given to their favourite modes if they didn't still care about playing. Said it before- worry when you stop hearing them.

@sephiroth.4217 said:

Personally I know 2 people that have put nearly 10 grand into the game. They only WvW and PvP.

What could anyone possibly spend 10 grand on? Is there even 10 grand worth of items on the gem store? 10 grand? What? What could they have POSSIBLY spent that money on? TEN THOUSAND? This is dollars right? I'm sorry but this seems even harder to believe than wvw players paying more than pve.