Dear Arena Net

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:It's not the quantity of the people around you though mate, is it? It's the quality.

I think you need some more sleep . . . . . . . . .jk

Seriously though, I hope by better 'quality' players you really mean people who spend more money on the gem store to make up for the 'quantity' of players who no longer play or in the case of any potential future expansions, buying multiple copies.

Because at the end of the day, $ is what matters, and I certainly am not going to be spending any.

@Xstein.2187 said:

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:It's not the quantity of the people around you though mate, is it? It's the
quality

I think you need some more sleep . . . . . . . . .jk

Seriously though, I hope by better 'quality' players you really mean people who spend more money on the gem store to make up for the 'quantity' of players who no longer play or in the case of any potential future expansions, buying multiple copies.

Because at the end of the day, $ is what matters, and I certainly am not going to be spending any.

Yes $$ is what keeps the lights on. It will be interesting to see if any more expansions get put together, or if LW is the way to go again like they tried after retail release. I'd love another expansion but it may not be financially feasible.

Why is is so hard for someone to positively say they like and are enjoying the game or a particular aspect of it?

Literally it's always:A: Hey guys, I like this game.B: YOU'RE WRONG FOR LIKING IT. YOU DON'T EVEN KNOW.

I get that so much on this forum is negative but do people have to jump on every happy post to bring it down do the depths with all the other stuff?

Every.Time...

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Hi ladies and gents at Arena Net. As a long time player of GW2 and a fan of your work (especially zone/level design) I just wanted to say cheers, your game is quite good and now that you are giving HoT away perhaps I can convince some IRL friends to give it a go. Here's to 7 (I think?) more years of a good game.This is a good game. And good for you saying it.

People that are expressing their fustrations are not bad people or trolls, many are just irritated that the game they love is lacking in many area's at the moment.Might be hard to accept this but often people that are frustrated are also the ones that care the most about it and express their opinions (sometimes a bit in a bad way) in the hopes for change.

I think ArenaNet has to look at this and realize that a lot of people are currently like this and should address this.As I said in another discussion, They should just put up a roadmap (pve, pvp, wvw, QoL, ...) it would benefit every kind of player.It is impossible to please everyone but it's good for a community to know what is happening.

@nosleepdemon.1368 said:Hi ladies and gents at Arena Net. As a long time player of GW2 and a fan of your work (especially zone/level design) I just wanted to say cheers, your game is quite good and now that you are giving HoT away perhaps I can convince some IRL friends to give it a go. Here's to 7 (I think?) more years of a good game.

Seconded. Despite some opinions about certain aspects of the game, IMO GW2 is currently the best MMO out there. The gameplay is not outdated (like in WoW - I really have to applaud Blizzard for being able to sell steps backwards in development as progress), the gameplay is not one-sided (TERA, BDO, I'm looking at you), the graphics are maybe not top of the line, but they work fine. The controls, the way classes are designed, the way skills works is pretty much intuitive, at least on a broad level, yet there are still enough details enabling you to actually learn if you want to.The story might lack the strong characters of WoW, but it works well especially on an emotional level. The tension and progress within the story is well crafted. The lack of strong characters (we don't have a Sylvanas Windrunner for example) also has a big advantage: The player character feels more important.Thanks to the events, thanks to the megaservers, the world feels alive, there's always something going on. Only rarely do you encounter stretches of maps / content, where no one else is around (desert, I'm looking at you. Too much area with not enough going on. Come on, Anet, do something about it).

The lack of progress on the PvP front (especially WvW for me) hurts, but the community (in and outside of WvW) makes more than up for it. People complain that through these mechanisms of playing alongside each other, you are not forming a real bond with other players. I find, if I take the time to actually talk to someone, I can have a nice chat. More than once I actually found new friends and even guilds through that. It's a quality community.

@SidewayS.3789 said:Keep living in your ivory tower. Soon when you'll look around, you'll have a surprise...Few peoples around you.

Comments like that are maybe a bad expression of love felt for this game. We're concerned about the future of Guild Wars 2, because we like it here. We want to look into a bright, shining future.

There is a roadmap.Last time Mike Z wrote about their future plans, and I think they are delivering what they promised.They just made a presentation of the next future contents. People can complain because they don't like them, but ArenaNet is telling us what they're working on. I don't know what people expect more.It takes time to develop content, there's no point in telling us every week what's the progress.

This is one of the few companies that are producing good content at low price for the players, it basically only survives with skins. They give us free living story and people complain they want to pay for expansions. They even refund people who bought HoT 2 months ago... I'm not sure what other companies do better.I also hope that I'll be able to bring in more friends to the game, since it only costs 30€ for both expansions now.

So, I don't know how many people who frequent thesde forums were playing in the pre-HoT era of the game. But, during that time, Anet made a lot of promises and gave us a lot stuff we would eventually see in the game.

What happened next?

Anet couldn't deliver on those promises in their current state at the time. The Legendaries that were promised? They finally added the last of them back in May. Raids weren't implemented until like 3-5 months after HoT was released, when they were promised in HoT. We also had a real content drought as the Lead developer left the company. And there wasn't huge layoff to point to as the reason for such uncertainty in the game; It really felt like the game was dead.

So, I do think the announcement was overhyped and probably could have been shortened, or at least be advertised as a Celebration of Guild Wars anniversary at PAX, with the reveal of the next saga. But won't fault Anet for being wary of throwing things out there that may not be able to deliver on. Anet has tried very hard to deliver on what they promise, and whether its what people really want or not, that's up to the individual.