Yet another housing topic

Spira.4578

I remember quite some time ago ANET said they are thinking about a unique housing system that would be different than the housing found in other mmorpgs.First of, since I haven't been in the loop for a while, I was wondering if anything is being done about it? Any new info?

Based on some replies on here, many associate housing with roleplay, which yes, to some degree it can be asociated with (altho, I don't see a problem considering gw2 is classified as a role playing game anyway).
The thing is tho', housing can be so much more than that.
I keep playing gw2 on and off because after years of playing it constantly, the game became very repetitive even fights against other players become similar after a while.
The one thing that adds flavour to the game since the beginning of the game are the things that players can affect with their personal choices, and while they are small, things like costumes, gear fashion, guild halls and such really add something unique to the game.

I've recently, let's say, visited, various mmorpgs and while thier gameplay was bellow average, their housing system was really well developed which made those games much more appealing to players playing them.I honestly believe, that Guild Wars 2 would benefit from a good housing system too and considering the game is more on a casual side allowing players to chill, giving them another option to be creative (in their own home instance) wouldn't affect a player's progression toward better gear or something similar.There are various things that can be displayed and put down in them too.There's a huge amount of trophy items that right now have no actual purpose other than taking inventory space, at the same time all the books and various notes that we can find ingame, could easily be inserted in a book shelf, allowing players to re-read them whenver they want. There's plenty of other things that can be displayed in those instanced, like minis and captured pets, armor and weapon stands with specific armors, to trophies related to world, raid, and fractal bosses kills.

Such system would also increase the reward pool for various content, from story rewards, collections, achievements as well as the possibility to add various new items to the gem shop.I know that this topic gets mentioned from time to time, but as I said, I personally honestly believe that such feature would revitalize the game and also bring many other players back.

You are right. But in the case of non-developement of it, I would like gh decos to become character bound and usable in home instance.

Now thinking about housing, what if, we had a housing hub with portals leading to 4 environments where you can build your house? The decos are now pretty complete, you just need an "empty house" deco if we can't make it from a to z.But then, you have to increase number of deco per area.

But for a true system It could be milked, selling floor, garden, storage, house design, selling furnitures.......

Can redirect you there: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/41657/after-home-instance-players-housing-island#latest

@Fueki.4753 said:Yet another no from me.Player Housing would likely end up on the Gem Shop anyway.Guild Halls are sufficient.

Guild Halls are not really mean to be personalized by an individual tho'.The point of a personal housing area is to give every player the choice to have a house in a district with many costumization options on a lesser scale than a guild hall.And while many things could esentually be on the gem shop, I don't see a problem for ANET having another possible way to monetize their game with purelly cosmetics that will, for most of the time, be visible by the customer only.

I do understand that some people don't like housing in general (or more like, they feel it's unnecessary) and that's why housing wouldn't be used as a gate to progress further.Same as in other games, it's would be a choice that gives those who like collecting things and be fashionable about it (which gw2 is practically mostly all about) quite a lot more to do.

But! each to their own :p

@"hugo.4705" said:You are right. But in the case of non-developement of it, I would like gh decos to become character bound and usable in home instance.

Now thinking about housing, what if, we had a housing hub with portals leading to 4 environments where you can build your house? The decos are now pretty complete, you just need an "empty house" deco if we can't make it from a to z.But then, you have to increase number of deco per area.

But for a true system It could be milked, selling floor, garden, storage, house design, selling furnitures.......

Can redirect you there: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/41657/after-home-instance-players-housing-island#latest

I checked the link and yes, that sounds like a cool idea! GW2 is one of the most appropriate games to have a housing system in it.It saddens me to see that all they could come up with was the "home instance" :/

@Spira.4578 said:

And while many things could esentually be on the gem shop, I don't see a problem for ANET having another possible way to monetize their game with purelly cosmetics that will, for most of the time, be visible by the customer only.

Or the art team can just spent time to create more weapon designs and outfits (I'd prefer armour, but apparently Anet is done with that).

@"hugo.4705" said:You are right. But in the case of non-developement of it, I would like gh decos to become character bound and usable in home instance.

I dont mind buying furniture on the gem store. But what I dont like is a Housing system like Archeage which just fuel conflict and housing not that big, and limits creativity.

I prefer Housing be instanced rather than be Open world,

and I rather we get a handful of background locations to pick from with ability to make out own houses (floor, Walls, Roof, etc) instead of a prebuilt House like Archeage has.

Rift's Dimensions is the best example of how to do this. Would also hope to be able to have multiple instanced properties as well at once, with the ability to list your housing in a social tab to explore other player's housing instances. I use to love when people would randomly visit my dimension.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@Spira.4578 said:GW2 is one of the most appropriate games to have a housing system in it.How did you come to this conclusion?

It's mostly because a big portion of the community (much bigger than the community on the other mmos) like horizontal progression, fashion, collections and more.It's also because gw2 is more casual than most other mmorpgs, which makes the non-grindy content more reachable and less punishable to spend time in (since in other games you lose time which you could otherwise spend to farm for your gear).

@LucianDK.8615 said:Think about it, if the devs already is struggling to deliver the current content at a timely pace. Then adding housing on top would be worsening things, no, dont degrade it further than it already is.

Actually, latelly they have been releasing content much faster. And I'm not saying they should prioritize such content. But same as guild halls, it is content that is wanted by many and would definitelly attract more gamers to the game as well as let the veterans who enjoy this kind of things, work on something else other than text based collections.

@"Knighthonor.4061" said:I dont mind buying furniture on the gem store. But what I dont like is a Housing system like Archeage which just fuel conflict and housing not that big, and limits creativity.

I prefer Housing be instanced rather than be Open world,

and I rather we get a handful of background locations to pick from with ability to make out own houses (floor, Walls, Roof, etc) instead of a prebuilt House like Archeage has.

Rift's Dimensions is the best example of how to do this. Would also hope to be able to have multiple instanced properties as well at once, with the ability to list your housing in a social tab to explore other player's housing instances. I use to love when people would randomly visit my dimension.

I gave AAU a go and I couldn't agree more. I really hated how people were trying to block you by setting up a small blueprint which they never build.When it comes to instanced housing, ESO did it okay. I wouldn't mind something similar or a mix between ESO and FFXIV.

Lore-wise, GW2 could tap into the lore of the mists. Creating your own location inside a shard, or "reality bubble" or whatever you want to call it. with lots of different options on not just the things that you can build, but also the environment itself (or the fractal type).

@Spira.4578 said:Actually, latelly they have been releasing content much faster.They released one episode faster than before.And what's the reason for this? It has less content than most episodes.So, if we get and Episode every two months that contains about one third of other episodes, I prefer one episode every four months.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Spira.4578" said:Actually, latelly they have been releasing content much faster.They released
one
episode faster than before.And what's the reason for this? It has less content than most episodes.So, if we get and Episode every two months that contains about one third of other episodes, I prefer one episode every four months.

The new episode is not 1/3th of the content that we got. More like 2/3 depending on which content you're comparing.But, I wasn't talking about the episode release only.Balance changes, all the QoL changes and more.With the bug fixes and everything else included, the speed is pretty good.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Game_updates

I'm not saying that such state will be constant, but right now, it does look promising.The game development changed quite a lot after the layoffs and we're only starting to see the actual changes ingame (considering the some of the content was already worked on before, ect).But hey, we're not here debating about ANET's resources.We're here to debate about possible additional content in case they will be looking at adding something new, same as they added guild halls and mounts - both not really needed, but still fun to have.

@"lokh.2695" said:Yet another housing thread...

-->Housing threadsPls use the forums search option, thanks.

I did, hence the "yet another" part in the title of this thread.

Some of those aren't even housing related.While others are somehow old (1 topic per month at best is not really considered as "spamming", considering there are many other topics that keep reapearing too).The other option would be bumping up/reviving an old topic, either way, you would complain.So I decided to write my own topic about it, since this way, I can personally express my own opininion and write down a suggestion about a game that we probably both like. Does that sound fair to you? :)

@"Lambent.6375" said:Why do people prefer instance housing over open world?

You wouldn't want to walk through neighborhoods and look at other people's decorations and houses?

I would, but it's an issue of real estate. There simply is not enough game world for every player to have a slice of it. You automatically get player conflict over grabbing hold of a piece of land, and an account can't keep it forever without regular upkeep which goes against the GW2 model of never losing ground if you're gone a while.

The answer is permissions and a robust means of indexing. So anyone that wants their place visible toggles it that way and anyone else that wants to browse player creativity can go through the entrance menu or get the info from the players "hey come look at my place, it's Gendarren Township 29444 (or it's under my name, XPlayerx.1234)." LotRO did this, though still had the space-fighting despite infinite instances because it had neighborhoods and guilds wanted to grab up all the plots in one. ESO does this.

@"Lambent.6375" said:Why do people prefer instance housing over open world?

You wouldn't want to walk through neighborhoods and look at other people's decorations and houses?

Openworld would be fantastic in theory, but as Donari.5237 said, it's really an issue in mmos. Archeage unchained is a perfect example of how open world housing can make the community more toxic.From greedy players to trolls who just want to block your progress (of extending the place) ect. you have all sort of players. Plus it might be a problem having open world instances in GW2 due to the megaserver (as in, if 2 players decided to build a house in the same spot, but different overflows, who would get it?).Instanced "neighbourhoods" where there would be several locations available to build on would work I guess.So I guess somthing similar to FFXIV. But without a limited amount of locations.

This is thread nr idk how many about this.... But to be short, we already have home instances in this game which you can "decorate" with scavenger cats, story choices (like skritt or quaggan), gathering nodes... I like to keep things as it is knowing that any revamp would make this now fully free feature a paid feature with tons of bugs... So no to housing different than we have now. They could add furn placement like how they treat guild halls tho, but in these existing home instances as we have them atm.

@Spira.4578 said:

@"lokh.2695" said:Yet another housing thread...

-->
Pls use the forums search option, thanks.

I did, hence the "yet another" part in the title of this thread.

Some of those aren't even housing related.While others are somehow old (1 topic per month at best is not really considered as "spamming", considering there are many other topics that keep reapearing too).The other option would be bumping up/reviving an old topic, either way, you would complain.So I decided to write my own topic about it, since this way, I can personally express my own opininion and write down a suggestion about a game that we probably both like. Does that sound fair to you? :)

So if you knew plenty of threads were out theree why bother opening a new one without bringing something new to the table?

You could have wrote your own post in one of these threads, since this way, you could personally express your own opinion and write down a suggestion about a game that I still don't like.

Please don't assume to know what I or anyone else likes, it's a bad premise for an argument. You know what you'd like to see and that's fair and you're free to share your opinions and suggestions, but please speak for yourself. It's not that I dislike player housing, it's more that I don't have a particular interest in it and I'd rather have them spend their resources somewhere else, more of my oppinion on the toppic can be read in the many housing threads so far.