Anet is sitting on a gold mine with mounts!

Hitman.5829

Anet is sitting on a gold mine with mounts, if they were to introduce custom skins for mounts they would make a fortune.I am the kind of person that does not buy from the gem store that often and I am very cheap, but if they were to introduce mount skins I will definitely put my bank info the first day they introduce the skins! And I will be willing to pay $20+ for a dragon skin on griffon.

@Shirlias.8104 said:Skins will come for sure, but still i am not sure about "dragon skins" due to the gw2 related lore.To me, there will be skins but still they will be skins with the base mount untouched ( like costumes for our character ).

You mean like how the lore kept Anet from creating flying carpets or meteors or other ridiculous glider skins? Not to mention baby skulls on armor or a Quaggan in a fish tank and other atrocities...

Thing with the glider is that the base one is ugly, so people have an incentive to buy skins. Most people don't find the mount skins ugly. They could have added more color channels to allow players some kind of personalization though. People want to have unique things, like unique avatars. More coloring possibilities would help with that, but the day a new skin for a mount is added to the gem store, we will see it everywhere and it will never be unique. But I agree that skins would sell well.

@Faaris.8013 said:

@Shirlias.8104 said:Skins will come for sure, but still i am not sure about "dragon skins" due to the gw2 related lore.To me, there will be skins but still they will be skins with the base mount untouched ( like costumes for our character ).

You mean like how the lore kept Anet from creating flying carpets or meteors or other ridiculous glider skins? Not to mention baby skulls on armor or a Quaggan in a fish tank and other atrocities...

I mean i wouldn't like to see a dragon as a mount, personally ( unless maybe they'll decide to put, and i am talking about possibilities, Aurene as a mount during LS4. Something like an "escape from danger" which will unlock the "Dragon mount collection" which could replace the griffon aesthetic ).

Fortunately gliders are usable only while "falling" and not active 100% time ( though i do agree with you that many gliders could ruin the atmosphere ), which would be totally different with mounts ( you can see what i mean everywhere, also in spvp lobby ).

@Hitman.5829 said:Anet is sitting on a gold mine with mounts, if they were to introduce custom skins for mounts they would make a fortune.I am the kind of person that does not buy from the gem store that often and I am very cheap, but if they were to introduce mount skins I will definitely put my bank info the first day they introduce the skins! And I will be willing to pay $20+ for a dragon skin on griffon.

Yes, but also can we lock some interesting skins behind achievements?

During interviews, devs said that modeling and texturing mounts was very difficults because of clipping issues (well of course). This means full mount skins are very unlikely. What I expected we get is new saddles or other mount "decorations" but main models will remain intact. And thank the Six if this is the case because I hate how gliders destroyed this game for me in terms of visual aesthetics.

gliders destroyed the game because of visual aesthetics? hardly (although the meteor was on the edge), but I would say that for all those stacking infusions, auras etc. It applies bleeding on eyes... If some of you find it annoying - check character limit option, setting it to lowest helps a bit.

As for mount skins - I am all for it, but they need to go with the quality, not quantity here. And thus I believe those skins will cost us 1200-2000 gems/skin (some silly gliders costing 400-700 and look how much more work is needed for mount - 2-3 idle animations, walking, running, jumping, turning... and we happy when the wings were flapping ;P

Are they sitting on gold mine? Perhaps. But each skin will cost them much more reasources than gliders, hence I don't want them to add too many of them but rather focus on upgrading game. I could think differently though should I be in the management.

I don't think that entire reskins of mounts (which partly would also affect the model in case of "dragon skins") are a good idea for reasons already mentioned in this thread (clipping, resource requirements, lore etc.). I think there are already enough flashy gliders (which I am also guilty of using). But adding similar visual clutter and flashy effects to mounts, especially considering their size and the amount of time they are out/"equipped", would be too much (at least in my opinion).

What I would like to see though is the addition of further fur/feather/skin patterns, additional dye channels and maybe small decorations/armor pieces/trinkets for mounts. Like armor for the raptor, maybe a scarf/bandana for the springer, things like that. Nothing too fancy but something that could add a bit of diversity/personalization to mounts.

As much as I like the idea of mount skins and I'm certain I'll buy at least a few I like that they haven't released any yet.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like 'day 1 DLC' even if it's just cosmetics - I feel like if you had it ready to go from the start it could and should have been in the base game. (Especially for an online PC game where the expansion is released via an update so they can't even say it was finished after the game was sent off for discs to be produced and there's no need to send it for certification by console companies.)

With gliders it felt very much like they deliberately made the base version dull and ugly and didn't include any others in the game so we had a massive incentive to buy them from the gem store. With mounts they've kind of done the opposite, the ones we get in-game look really cool, even the 'default' starter mount that's 'just' a speed boost is a raptor - something that would probably be a rare drop/cash shop purchase in other games. And we've got limited customisation options with dyes. It feels more like a complete package - as well as the fun new movement skills we've got cool aesthetics too. Adding gem store skins right away would have taken away from that, and I think ruined some of the appreciation for the defaults.

Having said that I hope they're able to make new skins, even if it's only slight variants like a giant pocket raptor skin or different coloured skimmers, as I said I'm sure I'll buy some of them.

@bOTEB.1573 said:

@Hitman.5829 said:Anet is sitting on a gold mine with mounts, if they were to introduce custom skins for mounts they would make a fortune.I am the kind of person that does not buy from the gem store that often and I am very cheap, but if they were to introduce mount skins I will definitely put my bank info the first day they introduce the skins! And I will be willing to pay $20+ for a dragon skin on griffon.

Yes, but also can we lock some interesting skins behind achievements?

THIS

I'm tired of 80% of the cosmetic rewards in a game with a cosmetics focused engame not being obtainable without forcing someone along the line to fork over ten or twenty bucks. I want more reasons to do content than "well, it makes gold that I could theoretically convert to gems"

Check out glider skins. Count how many you can obtain by playing the game. Skins, in a skin-based reward system, for the selling point of HoT. Now count how many were released in the gem store. Now count how many were explicitly tied to content that came out concurrently WITH the gem store skin!

I'm sick and tired of completing fun content only to be met with "here are some duplicate skins for you to salvage."

My GW2 experience in a nutshell:"Oh that's a cool little minidungeon/named boss/jumping puzzle/event with unique mob or weapon in it. Lets do it"

"Hey this is really fun"

"Wait, I spent all this time fighting a boss/safeguarding this item/hunting for this relic and I get... the same thing I get for protecting some farmers?"

It really sucks because no matter how fun that thing I just did was, I'm left with the sour taste of 2017's version of 2 greens and a blue, and I feel like I wasted my time because the game is designed so that I don't actually need the materials I get in salvage from the cookie cutter drops, even if they're solid numbers of yellows and golds. I would rather get a white item with a skin I've never seen or a toy that I can't get anywhere else because those at least feel like rewards for doing something other than the same old farms.

they dont put nice skins in the store. they cant accept 20 euro from us. they want us to spend 100+ euro because every nice thing is RNG based and put in a black lion chest. :@:@:@rediculous how every game company is these days. spend 80 euro on a deluxe edition... but further not getting anything nice back. i want hydra staff. 26 gold wasted and no skin. only 4th slot so waste hundreds gold for nothing. and i dont buy gems and then pay keys. i am not rich. this rng makes me angry sometimes. and every week story for a key that gives trash is no option.MAP completion, we work hard for map completion and we get a middlefinger (transmute charge) back. i can go on what all isnt normal.guildy got 2 keys for 2 maps completed, he said maybe its 100% because first for map completion you didnt get key of transmute charge so i spend time again but didnt get rewarded. they have to ask me wich items should be in black lion chest and wich not. the most ugly skins are sold for gems. staff or others...its my opinion.

anet mail the hydra staff to me, then i am a happy customer :)

In all my days I've never seen people so eager for things to be added into the game's cash shop whose expansion they just pay for. These poor people don't even have the slightest expectation that the developers will add mount skins into the game's content which you already paid for. They're straight up saying they'll pay whatever absurd fees are needed to buy some flashy mount. Quite sad tbh.

@Faaris.8013 said:. Most people don't find the mount skins ugly.

Oh I beg to differ. I love my raptor but sheesh the one dye channel it has is so bland. The springer is adorable but Anet can really go places with an easter bunny skin for it, or an armored springer skin. The skimmer is the only one that currently looks pretty good with the dye channel it has, but again, it can be expanded upon.

Why the heck is everyone in such a rush to fork over half the cost of the expansion they just paid for the get rewards that should be part of the expansion?

Count the amount of skins in the forty dollar expansion you just paid for. As in count the number of weapon and armor skins.

It is not an impressive, or even adequate number, nor was HoT.

Why is everyone in such a rush to fork over their money to a team that puts more rewards in the cash shop than the game?

@PopeUrban.2578 said:Why the heck is everyone in such a rush to fork over half the cost of the expansion they just paid for the get rewards that should be part of the expansion?

Count the amount of skins in the forty dollar expansion you just paid for. As in count the number of weapon and armor skins.

Why is everyone in such a rush to fork over their money to a team that puts more rewards in the cash shop than the game?

Because a lot people have the money to spend, and are willing to contribute to the ongoing development of the game they love? $40 is not very much at all to me.

I also want my mounts to stand out, especially the Raptor where the dye is very washed out.

I do not want to see mount skins. They would be way too much effort to create vs existing gemstore content and thus be even more overpriced.

@PopeUrban.2578 said:Why the heck is everyone in such a rush to fork over half the cost of the expansion they just paid for the get rewards that should be part of the expansion?

I agree. Compared to a WoW expansion HoT and PoF look like 10€ DLCs.

Archived