"Just Kill the Pets" or "Just Dodge"

zoopop.5630

I believe everyone is overlooking the fact that ranger pets can do 3-5k autos while being ridiculously tanky. Like you can say "git gud" and "JuSt dOdGe 5HeAd" but when you have something hitting you for 5k in mele while the ranger can just pewpew you from 1.5k range because they have the mobility and can just rapid fire you to death with their CCs....... Like there's a finite amount of dodges available. We'd also be having a very different conversation if say mesmer illusions were as tanky and hard hitting as pets (:

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@God.2708 said:

@"Odik.4587" said:I'm just leaving it here (you can watch until the game ends to see him dying 2v1 cuz pet kek)

Great example of a l2p moment. If he had just chilled the bird, or CC'd it, or better yet killed it. Then they could've trained the ranger down without it being able to do any damage.

Yeah, that's the problem. Not that the AI is hard to see and hits harder than builds running berserkers with every attack and 0 stat investment on the ranger's part.

No, the problem is that he didn't target the bird and force the ranger to call it back or swap it. Actions that would really have cost the ranger to employ.

I'm glad you agree. Yeah. Since blue team already had control on henge. If he had just killed the thing killing him. He could've then freely trained the ranger and gotten a kill. Since no one had to go back to node to decap or cap it. Instead he fell right into the ranger's trap and his own ignorance led to him dying.

Luckily for the Rev, since pets don't recall instantly and also can't dodge, it would've been very easy for him to do.

lmfao pets don't recall instantly. yeah, they just do it at 2x superspeed. easy to catch, np.

watch the clip again, ranger pet swapped and it instantly KOd him. Please tell me more about how to dodge instant abilities or attacks from AI that are a 1/10th the size of a player model. 57:05

The same way you dodge any other instant cast burst like a heralds sword 5 or reapers shroud procs or engineers explosive entrance. You get gud. He got instant KOed whilst at 6k HP on a class that runs pretty glassy. Let's be honest here if the rev didn't get insta KOed we'd be having very different discussions on these forums because that would be absolutely stupid.

All shroud traits can't crit and deal <500 damage. You know explosive entrance will trigger after the engi dodges, avoid the next attack. herald sword 5 (both of them) have cast times and the secondary strike is melee only. Ranger pet swap is instant with 0 tell and the only animation being a small bird appeared, which by the time you notice you're already dead from 5k swoop 8k chilling slash or 4k AAs.

If you're going to use a comparison, use one that's appropriate like mesmer's mantra of pain. Which also does half the damage pets do and is tied to the player's stats, unlike how pets use their own (massively bloated) stats.

If you're going to use mantra as a comparison, dont forget that now the mesmer has to be directly facing you to use it. So if you see an about-face from a mesmer moving away from you then you can assume you may be getting mantra-ed.Eura I also feel you're biased as a ranger main because the ranger itself can be full tank and the pets still do 5k aa's and can just be swapped out before they can be killed in most match ups where we're considering not everyone is running a monkey symbol brand build with 5 million burn stacks and AoE's the size of half the map that last 12 million years that can insta kill the pets with a 50 million burn tick. Problem is ranger doesn't have to be traited for power for pets to hit like trucks while the pets themselves are unnecessarily tanky for how much they can do damage wise. You say that they dont do much damage...... oooooh how untrue that is. Then you have to consider most are running zerker LB so they can just sic the pet on you and range you down from 1.5k range so where's the counter play for most classes considering you also have stealth and mobility to reposition while the pet just aa's them to death?

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@God.2708 said:

@"Odik.4587" said:I'm just leaving it here (you can watch until the game ends to see him dying 2v1 cuz pet kek)

Great example of a l2p moment. If he had just chilled the bird, or CC'd it, or better yet killed it. Then they could've trained the ranger down without it being able to do any damage.

Yeah, that's the problem. Not that the AI is hard to see and hits harder than builds running berserkers with every attack and 0 stat investment on the ranger's part.

No, the problem is that he didn't target the bird and force the ranger to call it back or swap it. Actions that would really have cost the ranger to employ.

I'm glad you agree. Yeah. Since blue team already had control on henge. If he had just killed the thing killing him. He could've then freely trained the ranger and gotten a kill. Since no one had to go back to node to decap or cap it. Instead he fell right into the ranger's trap and his own ignorance led to him dying.

Luckily for the Rev, since pets don't recall instantly and also can't dodge, it would've been very easy for him to do.

lmfao pets don't recall instantly. yeah, they just do it at 2x superspeed. easy to catch, np.

watch the clip again, ranger pet swapped and it instantly KOd him. Please tell me more about how to dodge instant abilities or attacks from AI that are a 1/10th the size of a player model. 57:05

The same way you dodge any other instant cast burst like a heralds sword 5 or reapers shroud procs or engineers explosive entrance. You get gud. He got instant KOed whilst at 6k HP on a class that runs pretty glassy. Let's be honest here if the rev didn't get insta KOed we'd be having very different discussions on these forums because that would be absolutely stupid.

All shroud traits can't crit and deal <500 damage. You know explosive entrance will trigger after the engi dodges, avoid the next attack. herald sword 5 (both of them) have cast times and the secondary strike is melee only. Ranger pet swap is instant with 0 tell and the only animation being a small bird appeared, which by the time you notice you're already dead from 5k swoop 8k chilling slash or 4k AAs.

If you're going to use a comparison, use one that's appropriate like mesmer's mantra of pain. Which also does half the damage pets do and is tied to the player's stats, unlike how pets use their own (massively bloated) stats.

This dude can dodge teleports he can't see, but not a pet right in front of his eyes. Amazing.

@Eurantien.4632 said:

@God.2708 said:

This dude can dodge teleports he can't see, but not a pet right in front of his eyes. Amazing.

This dude doesn't know that Rev sword 5 uses a followup skill, the first hit does very little damage and serves as a que to dodge. You could look at it as an animation you have time to react to, compared to instant abilities with no cast time- like pet swap. Which does more damage than deathstrike even if the ranger has 0 power

Ranger pets are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overtuned and I dont think their pet damage was even touched at all in the big huge balance patch everyone was waiting for that turned out to be a huge disappointment

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@God.2708 said:

This dude doesn't know that Rev sword 5 uses a followup skill, the first hit does very little damage and serves as a que to dodge. You could look at it as an animation you have time to react to, compared to instant abilities with no cast time- like pet swap. Which does more damage than deathstrike even if the ranger has 0 power

Right... Pets have a cast time too...

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

1. Yeah, that's the problem. Not that the AI is hard to see and hits harder than builds running berserkers with every attack and 0 stat investment on the ranger's part.
  2. No, the problem is that he didn't target the bird and force the ranger to call it back or swap it. Actions that would really have cost the ranger to employ.
  3. Ranger pet swap is instant with 0 tell and the only animation being a small bird appeared, which by the time you notice you're already dead from 5k swoop 8k chilling slash or 4k AAs.
  1. I see the red nameplate of the pets at all times. Whoever is playing in that clip doesn't have that setting turned on.
  2. There's no stat investment but 2/3 traitlines are dedicated to buffing player and pet damage.
  3. The tell is the first pet disappearing and the warhorn 5 noise from clarion bond.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@God.2708 said:

I know perfectly well how the rev skill works. In the very same clip his deathstrike pops the ranger for 6.2k damage (so not knights ammy ranger). The birds 'burst' was a whopping 8k (2k + 6k hit from a quickness auto + swoop) and the ranger couldn't even finish him. He got +1ed from elsewhere for the kill. If a damage oriented core ranger using two damage pets can't even kill a rev by himself without help, why is this even a discussion?

Like sure, I get it. Having to manage bursts from two different sources is annoying. It's like getting +1ed by a single player. But their burst is not any larger than any other power burst, and if they're a knights ranger you literally don't even have to watch the ranger except for the swap to LB to avoid the LB4. Their entire maul combo deals less than a revs death strike with 10000000000x more tell. The pet swap is pretty hard to read, but it's still very dodge able unless you're CCed, and if you get CCed then pet swapped onto how is that any different than any other class in the game CCing you and bursting you? You going to complain about DH's pulling you into a trap combo after you waste your stunbreaks next?

I actually really enjoy pets doing damage when the Ranger invests alot into it with a big combo with We Heal As One/Elite to give it tons of might fury and quickness. But when a Pet hits for 3-6k on autos and 6k+ on f2s with almost no set up, you'd think there might be an issue there, but I guess not.

@Rue.2061 said:If you're going to use mantra as a comparison, dont forget that now the mesmer has to be directly facing you to use it. So if you see an about-face from a mesmer moving away from you then you can assume you may be getting mantra-ed.Eura I also feel you're biased as a ranger main because the ranger itself can be full tank and the pets still do 5k aa's and can just be swapped out before they can be killed in most match ups where we're considering not everyone is running a monkey symbol brand build with 5 million burn stacks and AoE's the size of half the map that last 12 million years that can insta kill the pets with a 50 million burn tick. Problem is ranger doesn't have to be traited for power for pets to hit like trucks while the pets themselves are unnecessarily tanky for how much they can do damage wise. You say that they dont do much damage...... oooooh how untrue that is. Then you have to consider most are running zerker LB so they can just sic the pet on you and range you down from 1.5k range so where's the counter play for most classes considering you also have stealth and mobility to reposition while the pet just aa's them to death?

Walk behind a wall while the ranger stands at max ranger shooting nothing and kill the pet. If you're power you can literally oneshot a bird/tiger with a gs2 mindwrack combo and if you're condi you can kill it in 2-3 seconds with a condi burst.

@God.2708 said:

@God.2708 said:

I know perfectly well how the rev skill works. In the very same clip his deathstrike pops the ranger for 6.2k damage (so not knights ammy ranger). The birds 'burst' was a whopping 8k (2k + 6k hit from a quickness auto + swoop) and the ranger couldn't even finish him. He got +1ed from elsewhere for the kill. If a damage oriented core ranger using two damage pets can't even kill a rev by himself without help, why is this even a discussion?

Like sure, I get it. Having to manage bursts from two different sources is annoying. It's like getting +1ed by a single player. But their burst is not any larger than any other power burst, and if they're a knights ranger you literally don't even have to watch the ranger except for the swap to LB to avoid the LB4. Their entire maul combo deals less than a revs death strike with 10000000000x more tell. The pet swap is pretty hard to read, but it's still very dodge able unless you're CCed, and if you get CCed then pet swapped onto how is that any different than any other class in the game CCing you and bursting you? You going to complain about DH's pulling you into a trap combo after you waste your stunbreaks next?

Scroll back a minute and watch the ranger pet down him the first time. It doesn't matter if the ranger is using knights or not, the pets still do the same damage. A whopping 8k.... uh what else can do a whopping 8k burst with 0 stat investment? Please justify that for me.

Their burst is twice the size of any other glass cannon. The pets hit harder than any other glass cannon alone.

Again, traps aren't instant while pet swap burst is. You can't set the trap and pull at the same time, you can CC and pet burst at the same time. The only thing comparable is a power mantra mesmer, which doesn't have access to AI dealing 4-8k damage every few seconds if they miss their burst

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

@God.2708 said:

@God.2708 said:

Scroll back a minute and watch the ranger pet down him the first time. It doesn't matter if the ranger is using knights or not, the pets still do the same damage. A whopping 8k.... uh what else can do a whopping 8k burst with 0 stat investment? Please justify that for me.

Their burst is twice the size of any other glass cannon. The pets hit harder than any other glass cannon alone.

Again, traps aren't instant while pet swap burst is. You can't set the trap and pull at the same time, you can CC and pet burst at the same time. The only thing comparable is a power mantra mesmer, which doesn't have access to AI dealing 4-8k damage every few seconds if they miss their burst

Maybe you need to play a ranger and recognize they have to invest 2 ENTIRE TRAITLINES to do that sort of damage. Pop into a game with no traits and let me know how those pets are doing.

@RisenHowl.2419 said:Rangers pressing 1=outplaying everyone else.

I especially like that pet CCs haven't had their damage removed. 2.0 power coefficient on smokescale's takedown feels good

Why do people even upvote non-sense like this? Are you confusing PvE with PvP or are you too lazy to look it up ingame? The wiki is not up to date on many things...

@Erazik.7059 said:Delete birds and tiger or nerf them so they are useless. Not fun to play against, takes 0 skill and its not a good way to play ,,pvp''. Core ranger used to be different: if u miss ur burst with bambi u get punished now u can just run in a circle while the pet autoattacks for 3k. Anyone who says ,,just kill the pet'' should uninstall. Go play pve if u wanna fight vs AIThe same guy on the camera. I hope he dont mind me quoting him. :)

@God.2708 said:

@God.2708 said:

This dude doesn't know that Rev sword 5 uses a followup skill, the first hit does very little damage and serves as a que to dodge. You could look at it as an animation you have time to react to, compared to instant abilities with no cast time- like pet swap. Which does more damage than deathstrike even if the ranger has 0 powerIf a damage oriented core ranger using two damage pets can't even kill a rev by himself without help, why is this even a discussion?

Been saying it for a long time now, the pet AI vector makes people feel like they are unfairly being ganked. It's a psychological thing. I couldn't tell you how many people I've fought over the years while using Druid, even current Druid setups which have bad pet damage, but after a 1v1 people will still say: "That pet is carrying your damage. All the damage is coming from the pet" and they really really seriously believe that. But if you were to run a DPS meter and look at the actual damage value that the Druid pet is contributing, it's more like 1/3rd of what the Druid is outputting. The point being is that anytime an AI is dealing damage to a player, there is this psychological effect where they "feel" like the pet is dealing so much more damage over the course of 60s than it actually is.

@Grimjack.8130 said:I actually really enjoy pets doing damage when the Ranger invests alot into it with a big combo with We Heal As One/Elite to give it tons of might fury and quickness. But when a Pet hits for 3-6k on autos and 6k+ on f2s with almost no set up, you'd think there might be an issue there, but I guess not.

It's definitely an issue, but what most people don't realize is that those bigger autos coming off of pets are directly tied to marks mods. Even if the Ranger isn't attempting a big burst combos, he still is routinely cycling through fury procs for remorseless at random times, Mauls that even when they miss they are still making 50% AOO, and then of course every CC that lands is making another +50%, even if it's just a pet auto hitting. These marks mods will turn a 1k - 1.5k pet auto into 3k-4k auto.

You don't need to avoid everything the Ranger dishes out in order to win. If that were the case, the class would be unbelievably broken. It wouldn't even be a debate. Which skills you need to avoid depend entirely on the build. Determining which build the ranger is using is key. Luckily, you've got a number of tools at your disposal to help you to ascertain this. Weapons, damage output, pet choice, signets, boons, trait procs, ect.

Simple fact of the matter is that fighting ranger consists of a series of knowledge checks. Either you're sharp enough to determine the build and and knowledgeable enough to determine the appropriate counterplay, or you're not, in which case you're forced to concede the node or die.

Ranger cannot be beaten with a one size fits all approach. "Build diversity" is a term the forums like to throw around. It's heralded as a goal we should strive to achieve, but stop to think for a second what that would entail.

If a class is able to enjoy diverse builds, then it stands to reason that the way you play against each build will not be the same. You can try a one size fits all approach, but you won't get very far. In a diverse metagame, you have to adapt, and if you can't then I'm sorry to say, it's entirely a L2P issue.

@CutesySylveon.8290 said:

@Eurantien.4632 said:If the ranger is squishy you need to target the ranger and dodge all the things mentioned by OP.

What world do you live in where we get 8 dodges or can fill endurance enough to dodge that many skills vs the CDs of them besides maybe Daredevil?

Well. If a core ranger is running zerker you can easily kite the pet and just kill the ranger. I live in the world where your W, D, and spacebar can easily kite a pet and avoid the damage. Which allows you to avoid most of the pet damage and easily kill the squishy ranger.

I also live in the world where rangers usually run demo or knights so you can just ignore what the ranger is doing until the dps pets are dead.

That's cool and all but if the damage from the pet is removed all the ranger skills need to be buffed to compensate. Also i don't like AoEs like the wells as they are like ranger pets. Pulsing effects from teh Rev are also the same as the pets.

Autoattacks in a tab target game are also low skill. Everybody should play with the action cam active all the time and no autocast and not autotarget.Or you are just playing a game that is not for you.

@anduriell.6280 said:That's cool and all but if the damage from the pet is removed all the ranger skills need to be buffed to compensate. Also i don't like AoEs like the wells as they are like ranger pets. Pulsing effects from teh Rev are also the same as the pets.

Autoattacks in a tab target game are also low skill. Everybody should play with the action cam active all the time and no autocast and not autotarget.Or you are just playing a game that is not for you.

• Ranger also has virtually no AoE. So while the pet might be annoying. It can only do damage to 1 person at a time.