Unbreakable Tools for all characters?

2 hours ago, Gibson.4036 said:

My workaround is tabbing over to GW2Efficiency and doing an account search for them.

Is this an official ANet site?

2 hours ago, Sobx.1758 said:

The trick is to avoid opportunity of "forgetting where you left them" by making it a habit to see the unbreakable tools in shared slots any time you log out of the character. 

I try to remember to switch to average gathering tools everytime I switch character using shared inventory slots.

41 minutes ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

It isn't. But it is probably the most helpful third party site for GW2. You can add your API key, and get crafting guides that take into account the mats you currently own as well as current TP prices. You can track achievements, what skins you have unlocked, what mastery points are still available, and a bunch of other things.

If you don't want to have to switch over to a browser on a second screen or tab out to use GW2Efficiency, BlishHUD is a third party overlay that is GW2 ToS compliant. I'm pretty sure it has a module you can enable to search your account as well. https://blishhud.com/

Edited by Gibson.4036
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

No, but the API it uses is official and it's one of its purposes.

3 hours ago, SoulGuardian.6203 said:

I try to remember to switch to average gathering tools everytime I switch character using shared inventory slots.

Good 😄

Edited by Sobx.1758
if>is
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

I am pretty consistent about swapping out the gathering tools before logging out with a character.

But sometimes, something goes longer than expected or I need to do something in RL, and log out quickly.  Next day I don't remember I did that, log in to the first character, see the infinite tools are not in the shared slots, need to switch to the character that has them, and then switch back.

Is this a real major problem?  No.  Is it annoying?  Yes, especially since logging/switching characters is not a super fast activity.  Would I pay for shared tool slots so I don't have to both with this?  Yes, just for that reason.

• Like 2

I'll just add to the sentiment of the poster who revived this thread.  I was saving up gold to buy gems for unbreakables until I saw another (recent) thread about how you have to swap between characters.  I decided that they weren't worth it and now will eventually spend gems on something else.  All of these utility items are about convenience of course, and that is one way Anet monetizes the game.  That's legitimate.  However, it's also legitimate to consider unbreakables to not be convenient enough to be worthwhile.  There are a lot of apologists here for a utility that is a bit misleading (maybe innocently so) in it's description.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PepeLePewPew.2107 said:

I'll just add to the sentiment of the poster who revived this thread.  I was saving up gold to buy gems for unbreakables until I saw another (recent) thread about how you have to swap between characters.  I decided that they weren't worth it and now will eventually spend gems on something else.  All of these utility items are about convenience of course, and that is one way Anet monetizes the game.  That's legitimate.  However, it's also legitimate to consider unbreakables to not be convenient enough to be worthwhile.  There are a lot of apologists here for a utility that is a bit misleading (maybe innocently so) in it's description.

When you have a dozen or more characters all prone to do some gathering at any time on any map, and you then combine unbreakable tools with high end glyphs, they go beyond convenience. I rate them my second most indispensable purchase (after Mistlock). YMMV.

• Like 2

Bought my share of sets over the years and even a few with statuettes.  Most providing different benefits, unbound, volatile, watchknight ect.  I wouldn't mind an account wide use.  I wouldn't complain if they made them account wide.  I think some are right though.  This would open up another new complaint about buying multiple sets. 

I am one of those people that bought a set of unbreakable tools for multiple characters (total of nine), across two accounts.  I would not be opposed to having shared spaces just for the tools.  I'm sure ANet could come up with some compensation for people who have bought multiple sets.  Even if it isn't perceived as absolutely equal, I have gotten years of use from the sets.  I only have one set of tools with the glyph of reaping on it and would really like to be able to move it around to different characters, relative to the situation.  As it is, I leave the set with the reaping glyphs on the dedicated home instance farmer and use other sets on other characters.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

"Who would go through 28 characters, or even more than a few, instead of using  gw2efficiency?  Sounds like self-inflicting irritation. "

First, I know nothing about that site. I visited it once or twice for price check.

You just assume that everybody HAS to know about it, because... reasons?

They Are obviously not important.

We shouldn't have to use third party apps/sites to access something that should be in game.

I have no desire to do that. Just like I don't with discord.

My free choice. 

Surely you can at least respect that.

Have I changed my mind about the tools?

Yes, a bit. Te tools are actually worth getting, seeing as it saves us from having to buy limited used ones all the time, and having to open inventory in mid wvw takeovers. 

So on that basis alone, yes, they are worth it.

However; I stick to my guns.

I still think they should have their own shared inventory slots, rather than equipment slots.

It is a minor irritation; but still an irritation nevertheless. 

The main reason I got them is precisely to not having to replace/add/change them all the time.

So what we are buying is basically just convenience and having to swap them on character change rather than in the middle of battle in wvw.

The previous few people who commented made very good points about this.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:14 AM, Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:

You need only double-click the tool to equip it for each character.  To me, it seems amazing that slightly moving a finger is such a chore nowadays. 

Thats not the challenge, the challenge is to not forget to unequip them every time before you log out.

Or the challenge is to remember on which character you forgot them.

Been using them for 3 years and just yesterday I had to use gw2effciency again to find my clock tool... before I had to concentrate to remember how that thing was called to actually be able to find it.

And if you dont have enough shared inventory then the chore really begins.

Thats why I dont bother buying them on my 2nd account. Only 1 shared slot, hell no.

Edited by Lucy.3728
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 4

It doesn't take me hard to find which character I left the tools on, but it is annoying.  And convenience items are to remove annoyance (like having tools run out in the first place), so something that makes them more convenient would be nice.

As far as uproar over those who bought multiple sets - I know this has happened in the past when items became more convenient - maybe it was the shared inventory slots which made sharing the infinite salvage tools amongst all your characters easier, or when the infinite tools became account bound vs soulbound.  Either way, the response from Anet at that time was 'you got value from them before this change was made, so too bad'.  I think they mad some exceptions for those that just recently bought (and were obsoleted) by that change, but I wouldn't see this any different.  And there could still be reason to have multiple sets - different abilities, or not needing to do whatever to get shared tool slots (my presumption is that one could have to buy the shared tool slots, so if you already had a set for every character, there just wouldn't be a point to buy those shared tool slots)

• Like 3
  • Confused 1