Open World Domination: Fire Weaver

4 minutes ago, SoundWave.9154 said:

Ah kitten, would have made a good rune option. I am trying to see what options I have for open world when it comes to runes for the Cele set.

My top pick for celestial stats is aristocracy rune.  Maintaining high levels of might really helps to improve celestial's weak damage.  Trait arcane precision and superior elements for plenty of sources of weakness to keep those might stacks rolling.

If you prefer runes that don't require dungeon currency, there are a variety of good options and really anything can fit with celestial. 

• Like 1

2 further quick questions:

1) Do you have any suggestions for runes that could work on a Tempest build as well ? Or would that sacrifice too much ?

2) Could you tell, from experience, if Cele/Trailblazer is allowed into raids or do people just outright reject it ? I see that they are required for Legendary armor which is a bummer since raids are not really my thing.

14 minutes ago, SoundWave.9154 said:

2 further quick questions:

1) Do you have any suggestions for runes that could work on a Tempest build as well ? Or would that sacrifice too much ?

2) Could you tell, from experience, if Cele/Trailblazer is allowed into raids or do people just outright reject it ? I see that they are required for Legendary armor which is a bummer since raids are not really my thing.

Do NOT run celestial or trailblazer in raids unless you plan on tanking and know what you are doing. If you need to run a more defensive build you are better off running marauder power builds , magi/harrier heal builds while supporting the group on tempest, or some sort of plaguedoctor or seraph condi build with zero toughness.

See "flexible version" on hardstuck for power weaver for example, I asked Mela from [Hs] about the kind of DPS it puts out and they said 31K so it isn't amazing but if you're in a training group or a casual group it should be fine:
https://hardstuck.gg/gw2/builds/elementalist/power-weaver-r8/

If you ever have more than 1150 toughness and are in a group without a soulbeast there is a chance you can take aggro on the following:
W1 Vale Guardian
W1 Gorseval  , which is savable if you know what you're doing and inform people you are tanking
W3 Keep Construct , which is savable if you know what you're doing and inform people you are tanking
W3 Xera
W4 Deimos
W5 Dhuum
W6 Twin Largos
W7 Adina
W7 Sabir

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not an ideal opponent for sword weaver.  The punishing stun combos at melee range combined with teleport kiting make it difficult to mount a consistent offense against it.  It can probably be facetanked with a fire/earth build running stone resonance and bolstered elements, but I wanted to show you can still fight this guy on a melee build even without taking a proper stunbreak or extra stability and barrier.  It won't produce the fastest kills, but it sure looks cool!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/31/2020 at 11:18 AM, AliamRationem.5172 said:

However, I do have a build that will let you conquer open world/story content with your weaver, using about the cheapest possible gear (dire exotic works great!), and with barely any knowledge or skill required!

Hmmm.. When I changed from my "Tempest" Assassin's + Eagle build on to "Weaver"  Jatorro's + Balthazar one, life's got better! 🙂 It's much easier to play Weaver (I did some modification in your build for my personal case). I'm curious why everyone told me that Weaver is much harder to play than Tempest. I think Dagger/Dagger | Scepter/Horn Tempest is much harder. You have no chance of making a double (sometimes single) mistake. Of cause Weaver  requires more buttons to press per short time, but this is not a problem for me. However, thank you for sharing your build template. I've completed all HoT story as Tempest and now try "Path of Fire" as pyromancer Weaver! 😄

Edited by Eliza.8602
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Eliza.8602 said:

Hmmm.. When I changed from my "Tempest" Assassin's + Eagle build on to "Weaver"  Jatorro's + Balthazar one, life's got better! 🙂 It's much easier to play Weaver (I did some modification in your build for my personal case). I'm curious why everyone told me that Weaver is much harder to play than Tempest. I think Dagger/Dagger | Scepter/Horn Tempest is much harder. You have no chance of making a double (sometimes single) mistake. Of cause Weaver  requires more buttons to press per short time, but this is not a problem for me. However, thank you for sharing your build template. I've completed all HoT story as Tempest and now try "Path of Fire" as pyromancer Weaver! 😄

That's great to hear!  I think the reason Tempest is said to be "easier" comes down to the speed of play (channeled overloads, double attunement cooldowns) and the fact that it has better range/cleave due to overloads.  Many players find weaver's attunement swap mechanics daunting and true melee builds naturally assume higher risk on a class that is already "downstate meme" by reputation.  As you've seen, that isn't necessarily true.  As always, it depends on the build!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Tempest can comfortably be played in marauder with a staff. The rotation is fairly relaxed; you switch two elements, maybe dip water once a minute, and you kill dozens of enemies per cast. 

EDIT: Build - http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PG1As2ZlRwWYUsLWJOaLZtMA-zRJUiRXfhQJHYqURVYyA-e

Thanks for sharing the build!  If you have any video of it in action feel free to share that as well.  As the title suggests, I originally created the thread to share a specific type of build that I think makes weaver a bit more accessible for the open world/story content many players spend a lot of their time on.  But I think there's value in showing alternatives to my specific style of play.  If it helps other players to appreciate our favorite class a little bit more, it's all for the better!

I'm new to elementalist, but I am wondering if there is any other class that can burn bosses so fast using such defensive gear (mostly dire).  It doesn't seem very balanced to me but maybe I am missing something.  Like literally the fastest kills I have seen on Solo champ and legendary bosses is with fire weaver using super defensive gear.  

29 minutes ago, Stx.4857 said:

I'm new to elementalist, but I am wondering if there is any other class that can burn bosses so fast using such defensive gear (mostly dire).  It doesn't seem very balanced to me but maybe I am missing something.  Like literally the fastest kills I have seen on Solo champ and legendary bosses is with fire weaver using super defensive gear.  

Sure.  Here's a clip of open world Firebrand.  Here's one of Chronomancer.  Here's Scourge.  Just a few comparable performances I grabbed off a quick youtube search.  Mostly you will find that condi builds tend to perform the best for boss solos as they can take much higher passive sustain without sacrificing damage.  This is favored in solo play because with no healer it is easy to lose more damage playing defensively than you gain from taking full offensive stats.  Having said that, the chronomancer clip is a power build that takes advantage of chrono's ability to cycle through many defensive cooldowns while dealing high damage.

Condi weaver's damage is quite good and it has the sustain to make a good solo play build.  However, it lacks any sort of range and requires a stationary target where many other classes that can deal comparable damage are able to be more effective where there is area denial and/or lots of movement.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, The Boz.2038 said:

Tempest can comfortably be played in marauder with a staff.

Thank you! I tried Marauder. I think that Marauder is such a slightly more robust Assassin in Tempest's crit build. Trailblazer, on the other hand, is a slightly less survivable but with more conditional damage for Weaver than Jatoro's. It turns out quite well to have 4 builds for mastering a couple of class elite specs. I also have a build for power, but I have not yet found a use for it. Thank you! 🙂

I haven't found a use for the staff yet. It's very slow. So I combine sword, daggers, focus, horn and scepter. The staff is very good in a group, at big events. 🙂

Edited by Eliza.8602

3 hours ago, AliamRationem.5172 said:

Sure.  Here's a clip of open world Firebrand.  Here's one of Chronomancer.  Here's Scourge.  Just a few comparable performances I grabbed off a quick youtube search.  Mostly you will find that condi builds tend to perform the best for boss solos as they can take much higher passive sustain without sacrificing damage.  This is favored in solo play because with no healer it is easy to lose more damage playing defensively than you gain from taking full offensive stats.  Having said that, the chronomancer clip is a power build that takes advantage of chrono's ability to cycle through many defensive cooldowns while dealing high damage.

Condi weaver's damage is quite good and it has the sustain to make a good solo play build.  However, it lacks any sort of range and requires a stationary target where many other classes that can deal comparable damage are able to be more effective where there is area denial and/or lots of movement.

Right, pure melee specs should deal more damage in a balanced game than ranged.  But these videos kind of reinforce my viewpoint.  The scourge is wearing vipers, which is glass.  The firebrand is also wearing full dps gear but makes the note that it is only a slight dps loss to go trailblazers/plague doctors.  Chrono is power, which you expect to be able to burst because they don't have the defense that trailblazers does.

And yet you beat all their times (I believe your fastest is 40 seconds flat) while wearing gear with massive amounts of defense.

Let me ask you this..  could you beat your time of 40 seconds by a significant amount while playing a glass cannon power weaver?  It just feels crazy that you can burst that hard in pure defense gear and 3500 armor. 

2 hours ago, Stx.4857 said:

Right, pure melee specs should deal more damage in a balanced game than ranged.  But these videos kind of reinforce my viewpoint.  The scourge is wearing vipers, which is glass.  The firebrand is also wearing full dps gear but makes the note that it is only a slight dps loss to go trailblazers/plague doctors.  Chrono is power, which you expect to be able to burst because they don't have the defense that trailblazers does.

And yet you beat all their times (I believe your fastest is 40 seconds flat) while wearing gear with massive amounts of defense.

Let me ask you this..  could you beat your time of 40 seconds by a significant amount while playing a glass cannon power weaver?  It just feels crazy that you can burst that hard in pure defense gear and 3500 armor. 

We're getting a little outside the scope of this thread.  If you'd like to discuss balance we can do that in another thread.  Thanks!

Edit: Made a thread for that here: 

Edited by AliamRationem.5172
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Dude, i started to play with this build and I'm having a blast, i have some questions about expertise and burning duration.

So, my sources of fire duration are:

Runes of balthazar: 50% burning duration.

Burning Precision: 20% burning duration.

Weaver's prowess: 20% condition duration.

So, my question is, it is necessary to get any expertise for this build? or just enough to get 9% - 10% condi duration?

Can i play this with Carrion, rather than Dire? Maybe Sinister?

1 hour ago, Conqueror.3682 said:

Dude, i started to play with this build and I'm having a blast, i have some questions about expertise and burning duration.

So, my question is, it is necessary to get any expertise for this build? or just enough to get 9% - 10% condi duration?

Glad you're enjoying it! 

The key is to hit +100% burn duration since so much of the damage on this build comes from burning.  Stat sets like Viper, Trailblazer, and Celestial have an advantage here as they grant expertise.  However, any condition-based set will deal solid damage and you can cap out your burn duration in other ways including various runes which provide condition/burn duration, sigil of smoldering/malice, and burn/condition duration food.  It's whatever you want to do.  I just recommend capping that burn for best effect!

If you like the idea of adding some power burst to your build but want to keep the crazy sustain and most of that sweet burn damage, I think celestial is a fantastic option for open world play.  It still deals very strong condition damage, but can also deal some power damage that is lacking in pure condition options like Dire or Trailblazer.

Here are some video examples of Celestial in action:

20k+ DPS burst with 30k max burn in 3 seconds.

Full Auric Basin Hero Point Run (unedited).

Don't get too hung up on the exact setup.  Like I said, it will work with any condition-based set, even a hybrid set like Celestial.  You can also move traits and utilities around for more defense/utility as needed.  For example, this Verdant Brink boss trio solo is a real pain to run without some extra stability, stunbreaks, and barrier.

• Thanks 1

On 2/21/2022 at 1:14 AM, Conqueror.3682 said:

You could supplement the remainder with expertise food like veggie pizza 🍕 

• 1 month later...

I know I have like a million videos of this fight, but it's a good test case for a high-damage champion that doesn't necessarily require indefinite sustain.  Case in point, here's glass (grieving) weaver going solo against the avatar of Balthazar HP in Auric Basin.  Note the almost 19k health possible with the new Jade Bot mastery, Balthazar runes, and Master's Fortitude.  No more downstate meme, boys!

I do want to note that I still don't recommend this setup.  You don't really gain anything by it since you can still play much more aggressively with Trailblazer or Celestial stats and make up for the difference in damage output.

Edited by AliamRationem.5172