Thief best roamer class for 7 years

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@"Arheundel.6451"here are your facts -> now we have a death carapace =600 toughness perma swifness dashing mobile fortress dealing upward 9k crits on medium armor targetstake those "facts" and leave, and dont return

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Death%27s_CarapaceThese are facts..again take your own advice and stop quoting me, wouldn't it be better to write a dozen or so buff threads in the mesmer sub-forum? It's your only main after all...the rest is just wiki knowledge

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Arheundel.6451here are your facts -> now we have a death carapace =600 toughness perma swifness dashing mobile fortress dealing upward 9k crits on medium armor targetstake those "facts" and leave, and dont return

These are facts..again take your own advice and stop quoting me, wouldn't it be better to write a dozen or so buff threads in the mesmer sub-forum? It's your
only
main after all...the rest is just
wiki knowledge

what facts, you are wrong. wiki proves you wrong. admit mistake and move on.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@Arheundel.6451here are your facts -> now we have a death carapace =600 toughness perma swifness dashing mobile fortress dealing upward 9k crits on medium armor targetstake those "facts" and leave, and dont return

These are facts..again take your own advice and stop quoting me, wouldn't it be better to write a dozen or so buff threads in the mesmer sub-forum? It's your
only
main after all...the rest is just
wiki knowledge

what facts, you are wrong. wiki proves you wrong. admit mistake and move on.

So I guess eng not your main language ok

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@"Arheundel.6451"here are your facts -> now we have a death carapace =600 toughness perma swifness dashing mobile fortress dealing upward 9k crits on medium armor targetstake those "facts" and leave, and dont return

FirstYour facts are incorrect at max Carapace you get 300 toughness in PvP (anet nerfed it)And on power build you'll never cap Carapace unless you take spite line (Bitter Chill) and death magic line (Corrupter's Fervor) which make this build countered by condi builds and d if you know the meta now is condi making this build viable for gold league onlySecond the 9 crit is from berserker lich auto attack and you tell me you can kill a berserker necro

@DragonFury.6243 said:

FirstYour facts are incorrect at max Carapace you get 300 toughness in PvP (anet nerfed it)And on power build you'll never cap Carapace unless you take spite line (Bitter Chill) and death magic line (Corrupter's Fervor) which make this build countered by condi builds and d if you know the meta now is condi making this build viable for gold league onlySecond the 9 crit is from berserker lich auto attack and you tell me you can kill a berserker necro

My point was taken from a different thread that was entirely about balance in general based on a twitch chat comment from @CMC about general balance and that includes all game modes.

@DragonFury.6243 said:

I know, thats the point, I quoted the guy. he said in pvp forum that reapers run around with death magic that gives 600 toughness and pulsing quickness and crit people for 9k.to top it off I doubt you would see 9k lich autos, I see 7-8k at best and I play 0 toughness light armor.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:I doubt you play the game 7 years, or you actually play one of the real problematic classes.

NecroRevEngiGuard

Always in conquest are top picks in one form or another

But but but...thief can decap...lol...

That is literally going to be your argument.

Well they did nerf thief dmg pretty hard so now their way is to wait to outnumber em and smack em repeteadly

? thief ate same nerfs as everyone else, about 33%edit with proof.Trick Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 0.55 to 0.366. -> 33% nerf in lineDetonate Cluster Bomb (Cluster Bomb): Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.5 to 0.375. -> 25% nerf, less then most, becomes stronger compared to othersSneak Attack: Reduced power coefficient per hit from 0.36 to 0.3. -> 17% nerf, this is what cthief hits you with btw. wink winkDancing Dagger: Reduced power coefficient from 0.6 to 0.45. -> 25% nerfVault: Reduced power coefficient from 2.25 to 1.82. WvW will now use the PvP initiative cost of 6. -> 19,2% nerf, way less then others.Backstab: Reduced base power coefficient from 1.2 to 0.9. Reduced flanking power coefficient from 2.4 to 1.8. -> 25% nerf, actually stronger then pre patch compared to others lolShadow Shot: Increased initiative cost from 4 to 5. -> no damage nerfs just 1 extra ini cost, at best 25% nerf right?

Its true that thief is mobile, but the damage is definitely noticeable or at least it was. They hit all sorts of stuff and they already nerfed stealth a few times.

My fear is that ANET will delete stealth from the thief or make classes with Perma reveal and ruin thief for good.

While Thief isn't 100% dependent on stealth, it still has mechanics based on it much like necro has mechanics based on shroud and when you touch the wrong stuff it harms the class in more than one way.

Example: Thief has mechanics based on stealth for recovering health and getting rid of condis it uses stealth for positioning to get surprise attacks.

I guess i could see some overhaul of stealth as it is since it's so problematic, but nerfing it into the ground will hurt thief so much.

Thief gets hit so often now that it's not even funny much like mesmers.

it seems like in these modern times more than even nec mesmers and thieves are the easy scapegoats who get slapped with nerf bat repeatedly.

It is also very concerning since the health of these 2 directly affect the health of the game, as both thief and mesmers are meant to counter some stuff.

I'm not sure though how it can be fixed easily, even world of warcraft has people who complain and get angry about rogues since thief is just like rogue:A mobile class who flip flops around teleports stabs you in the back and balancing it out for this game is clearly going to have parts which won't work for GW2 but might for wow.

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Crab Fear.1624 said:I doubt you play the game 7 years, or you actually play one of the real problematic classes.

NecroRevEngiGuard

Well they did nerf thief dmg pretty hard so now their way is to wait to outnumber em and smack em repeteadly

? thief ate same nerfs as everyone else, about 33%edit with proof.Trick Shot: Reduced power coefficient from 0.55 to 0.366. -> 33% nerf in lineDetonate Cluster Bomb (Cluster Bomb): Reduced power coefficient per strike from 0.5 to 0.375. -> 25% nerf, less then most, becomes stronger compared to othersSneak Attack: Reduced power coefficient per hit from 0.36 to 0.3. -> 17% nerf, this is what cthief hits you with btw. wink winkDancing Dagger: Reduced power coefficient from 0.6 to 0.45. -> 25% nerfVault: Reduced power coefficient from 2.25 to 1.82. WvW will now use the PvP initiative cost of 6. -> 19,2% nerf, way less then others.Backstab: Reduced base power coefficient from 1.2 to 0.9. Reduced flanking power coefficient from 2.4 to 1.8. -> 25% nerf, actually stronger then pre patch compared to others lolShadow Shot: Increased initiative cost from 4 to 5. -> no damage nerfs just 1 extra ini cost, at best 25% nerf right?

Its true that thief is mobile, but the damage is definitely noticeable or at least it was. They hit all sorts of stuff and they already nerfed stealth a few times.

My fear is that ANET will delete stealth from the thief or make classes with Perma reveal and ruin thief for good.

While Thief isn't 100% dependent on stealth, it still has mechanics based on it much like necro has mechanics based on shroud and when you touch the wrong stuff it harms the class in more than one way.

Example: Thief has mechanics based on stealth for recovering health and getting rid of condis it uses stealth for positioning to get surprise attacks.

I guess i could see some overhaul of stealth as it is since it's so problematic, but nerfing it into the ground will hurt thief so much.

dont worry, I srsl doubt they remove stealth. I doubt they will touch thief at all, and focus on other classes.I just corrected you, since thiefs damage was not hit hard at all last patch, if anything their dmg was hit less then other classes, dont think venoms or siphons got hit at all, shadow shot didnt get damage nerf, just ini increase, sb2 got light nerf too.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

dont worry, I srsl doubt they remove stealth. I doubt they will touch thief at all, and focus on other classes.I just corrected you, since thiefs damage was not hit hard at all last patch, if anything their dmg was hit less then other classes, dont think venoms or siphons got hit at all, shadow shot didnt get damage nerf, just ini increase, sb2 got light nerf too.

To be fair, the damage on some of those thief skills isn’t that high to begin with. The coefficients that got nerfed were often in the 0.5 range pre-patch and ended up in the 0.3 range. Not as bad as some other profession nerfs percentage-wise but the personal investment to get BS up in damage is now fairly significant, especially since the fix to Signet boosted damage.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:

@Axl.8924 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

Not entirely. The problem is that ontop of the initial set of nerfs, Thief ate an unplanned nerf to assassins signet, which not only lowered damage by an extra 15%. Which not only lowered the damage below what most were lowered to, due to the nerf assassins signet became too weak, so it lowered damage even further. Plus, yknow, a burst build losing damage is quite a fair bit more impactful than a sustained build losing damage.

Edit: Though, things didnt really change for thief. You couldnt kill without outnumbering pre-patch, you still cant. The only thing that changed is that now you spam heartseeker instead of trying to get cute.

@"UNOwen.7132" I know and I agree, thats why thief is about as astrong as it was before and not better.lost less damage then most but its a burst build puts it equally behind as other builds, but there is several big things that didnt get nerfed, like plasma, rev stolen skill or siphons/venoms for example. Ass signet nerf is big but its not just a nerf to thiefs damage, they simply stop using it and get other utility. Tradeoff, damage loss, but gained stealth/other things.

this is why cthief "became" good again. venom hit equally hard, sneak attack from pistol got like 18% nerf to power dmg instead of 33%, similar with 3, could have been avoided with ease with proper blanket nerfs.meanwhile still waiting for proper rev nerfs, yes power rev is too strong too.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:@"UNOwen.7132" I know and I agree, thats why thief is about as astrong as it was before and not better.lost less damage then most but its a burst build puts it equally behind as other builds, but there is several big things that didnt get nerfed, like plasma, rev stolen skill or siphons/venoms for example. kitten signet nerf is big but its not just a nerf to thiefs damage, they simply stop using it and get other utility. Tradeoff, damage loss, but gained stealth/other things.

It actually lost more after the assassins signet nerf. Backstab used to hit for around 7k on the average target, now it hits for 3k-4k. Plasma wasnt nerfed directly, but since Mesmer is unplayable now, thief lost access to plasma. And the utility you gained from switching out signet doesnt offset the lost damage, its just, damage was never why you picked thief. Its a +1 class. As long as its got shortbow 5, it will almost always be relevant (exception are bunker builds like in HoT, where teams didnt play thief).

this is why cthief "became" good again. venom hit equally hard, sneak attack from pistol got like 18% nerf to power dmg instead of 33%, similar with 3, could have been avoided with ease with proper blanket nerfs.meanwhile still waiting for proper rev nerfs, yes power rev is too strong too.

Cthief became good because its damage was higher, even with cleanses. Granted, Im not too surprised they overlooked it. It wasnt viable pre-patch, and without the signet nerf they wouldve been more equal.

@bluri.2653 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

i can safely tell you thief has been meta for 7 years.rev/engi/guard also had very long up time, necro is less so, but none of them compete with thief. i can't remember thief being non meta except hot launch.thief has been one of my most played class simply because it is meta for so long.

@"Skyronight.6370" said:not a single class has been viable for 7 years straight except thief. i wonder why....

it's called the shortbow 5 syndrome. if the wiki's correct, it's amazing this skill has never been nerfed before. there were times where thief as a class was bad and weak, but still got played just because of its mobility.

not just mobility, steal backstab is also too good at coordinating burst in team play. it's entire kit is just good for conquest. shortbow 5 alone without steal couldn't secure thief's spot for so long.

Close but almost whole HoT until the end rev > thief and thief wasnt picked at all.

So very close, there was also a cele meta with 2 medi hammer 2 dd cele ele and shoutbow.

you mean cele meta like this? ;)
R61Z1Rn.png

That cant be the cele meta. The left team only has 1 ele instead of 4.

that was past cele meta. but good try.

rom was marauder with gs+hammerfrae carriontage bunkerme normal

the true cele meta was with cele rifle engi and nadesdd ele celeshoutbow cele

you see non there. i think even the eles in wts there ran something other than cele if im not mistaken since they nerfed cele before this tournament

did you mean this? ;) this time i made sure to check everybody except thief/mes/guard are cele.

tho looking at these videos, i'm actually more surprised how pre-hot thief is still meta even with double medi guard ring

PS: i kinda missed the old trait system tbh

@Lighter.5631 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

i can safely tell you thief has been meta for 7 years.rev/engi/guard also had very long up time, necro is less so, but none of them compete with thief. i can't remember thief being non meta except hot launch.thief has been one of my most played class simply because it is meta for so long.

@"Skyronight.6370" said:not a single class has been viable for 7 years straight except thief. i wonder why....

it's called the shortbow 5 syndrome. if the wiki's correct, it's amazing this skill has never been nerfed before. there were times where thief as a class was bad and weak, but still got played just because of its mobility.

not just mobility, steal backstab is also too good at coordinating burst in team play. it's entire kit is just good for conquest. shortbow 5 alone without steal couldn't secure thief's spot for so long.

Close but almost whole HoT until the end rev > thief and thief wasnt picked at all.

So very close, there was also a cele meta with 2 medi hammer 2 dd cele ele and shoutbow.

R61Z1Rn.png

you see non there. i think even the eles in wts there ran something other than cele if im not mistaken since they nerfed cele before this tournament

did you mean this? ;) this time i made sure to check everybody except thief/mes/guard are cele.

tho looking at these videos, i'm actually more surprised how pre-hot thief is still meta even with double medi guard ring

And find wts boston qualifier and check orng comp, they ran no thief then :) they ran 2 medi, cele engi, cele ele and shoutbow.

But its easy handpicking!

@bluri.2653 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

R61Z1Rn.png

And find wts boston qualifier and check orng comp, they ran no thief then :) they ran 2 medi, cele engi, cele ele and shoutbow.

you mean this one?

@Lighter.5631 said:

NecroRevEngiGuard

R61Z1Rn.png

you mean this one?

Nah theres another one when helseth gets ddosed or something when they play it

Also p much whole pro leauge no one ran thief. In HoT

idk how ppl can be so deluisonal to realize no other class can fill that role, not even power rev since it gets countered by everything in this meta. even for the current meta side noders, some classes can take that role but for thief nothing else comes close, theres need to be some balancing

@Skyronight.6370 said:idk how ppl can be so deluisonal to realize no other class can fill that role, not even power rev since it gets countered by everything in this meta. even for the current meta side noders, some classes can take that role but for thief nothing else comes close, theres need to be some balancing

Apparently, theres a thread saying to remove rev coz it is so op.