What Do You Think GW3 Will Be?

@Cyninja.2954 said:I really don't get where people get this idea that pvp is in such high demand. There is no evidence to support this in the MMORPG genre.

I agree. Issue isn't that there isn't need for PvP or people wanting to PvP. Issue is that mmorpg as gameplay style is not good for PvP. In my opinion, if you wanna good PvP, game should be design only for PvP, without PvE side.

Every mmorpg there, where PvP is strongly part of the mmorpg, the player base is small. Every mmorpg where is alot of players, the game has very strong PvE side. Is this because there is alot more PvE players in general or because PvP gameplay style doesn't really fit in mmorpgs?

@Shiyo.3578 said:There's a relatively decent sized player base of people who want a good RPG PvP game but GW2 is all we have. We'd be profitable enough to sustain one as we're all mid 30's with jobs,imo.I do agree that players could want it, but it doesn't really work in the end. For some reason competive gameplay and mmorpg doesn't really work well togather in current mmorpg design. Of cause the really big question is, why?

GW3, hard to say anyting, but in bussiness wise it's better to just make good PvE only mmorpg. There is no point to compromise game design as trying to balance two totally different gameplay styles, what can't be balanced without full seperation.

@Lumikki.1725 said:GW3, hard to say anyting, but in bussiness wise it's better to just make good PvE only mmorpg. There is no point to compromise game design as trying to balance two totally different gameplay styles, what can't be balanced without full seperation.

it's why the two current biggest MMORPGs, WoW and FF14, fully embraced PvE (with WoW even removing PvP servers, merging them with the PvE ones like Starwars:TOR) because it's what makes money.

@"Lumikki.1725" said:Every mmorpg there, where PvP is strongly part of the mmorpg, the player base is small. Every mmorpg where is alot of players, the game has very strong PvE side. Is this because there is alot more PvE players in general or because PvP gameplay style doesn't really fit in mmorpgs?

I think it could be a bit of both.

Generally, PvP games work based on how easy they are to pick up and play. You just hop in the game, play a few matches and log off no worries.

This doesn't work for MMORPG's since you have to invest the time in leveling your characters and sometimes even go through a bunch of gear grinding to really even start playing PvP (GW2 excels in this area with the way that sPvP auto puts you to level 80 and lets you buy the gear you need from vendors)

Many PvP games also thrive off of E-Sports and being entertaining to watch. But MMORPG's don't really feature any support for casting/spectating or really strive for E-Sports in a meaningful way (There's Blade and Soul, but that's only popular in Asia with it's 1v1 tournaments)

PvP also doesn't really lend itself to the MMORPG genre, RPG's work best with world building - Large scale living and breathing worlds with lots of things to do and explore and exotic races and factions to meet and learn about. While PvP tends to find itself set in an standard arena, with "Open World" PvP requiring there to be something that PvE to exist in order to have that "World" exist to be open and to have players actually doing stuff between breaking out into PvP fights. (Even in WvW here in GW2 and Realm vs Realm in Warhammer Online there's PvE from Keeps as an objective to focus players towards something)

Meanwhile, PvE RPG's are an extremely popular genre. With, contrary to the belief of AAA developers, a huge market for single player RPG games with many notable titles having massive success (Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout: New Vegas, Mass Effect 1/2, Persona series, Final Fantasy series, Legend of Zelda series)

Such a popular genre can lead to a lot of excitment for an MMO, which can have all the features of a single player RPG - Rich lore, expansive areas to explore, well written characters, interesting story etc... But then put it into an even bigger, constantly updating world that can have the adventure of exploring the world shared with friends and strangers alike (And then get a half baked PvP mode shoehorned into the game...)

I don't think it will happen either. At best we may get a "Guild Wars 2: Rebirth" or something with a new game engine and enhanced textures, but we probably won't see that either. The truth is, GW2 is is a pretty good game with a fair amount of issues. I just hope the developers work on refining this game as there is a lot of potential here. The combat is really good, the story telling isn't bad (with room for improvement) and even the core ideas for PvP and WvW is good from what I can gather, even if it needs some love and attention, although I don't know much about it yet since I am pretty new and playing through the maps, etc. One thing I'd like is guild vs. guild PvP (ehrm, guild wars ya know?) though... like a guild based WvW maps or something since not all players in a guild are on the same server...

I think MMO genre is a bit different than other games where people are not so gungho about jumping into a sequel due to the feeling of 'investment'.

But as other's said, with NCsoft being the parent company I am sure they would love to market a mobile Guild Wars 3 in China, where it may actually do well. However, western players generally look at mobile MMOs with disdain so it would crash and burn in the U.S. at least.

Honestly, if they made another Guild Wars game, I think they should just make it a 100 hour long single player campaign game and tell an awesome and rich story. Release it on PCs and consoles and provide a multiplayer feature where you can PvP and play some mini-games with other players.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I think it will come far later if at all, because at this point it was shelved and we know it probably was a new MMO more focused (If it was being made by MO) around Competitive play as that is where his passion laid. We know he was displeased with how guild wars 2 turned out, as he had stated he wasn't big on some of the direction that the game had taken. Ironically it would be beneficial due to the spaghetti code which could be basically removed by making a new mmo and thus making it easier to add things to the game and less of the risk at breaking it. With a more focused direction Gw3 could easily smash both of its predecessors but they'd need a 100% this is the direction this game is going NO EXCEPTIONS kind of attitude. The issue with guild wars 2 is that in its initial development there were too many cooks in the kitchen...

I feel like if they do go for this route, it would need a new engine preferably Unreal 4 or 5 as this game still uses the guild wars 1 engine. I also feel they should drop the narrative and focus on making it a sandbox exploration game where you are there to form a guild and basically explore tyria with snip-its of lore strewn throughout the world, no more of this "you're the main squeeze " kind of thing. While I can appreciate the attempt storytelling should be left the novels or single player games and if they made a single player game in the vein of the witcher to bridge the gap between the mmo's then people could have narrative driven bits given in the world of tyria and the MMO could be its own entity.

Its hard to sell a narrative in an mmo, its even harder to make it work and feel right and not spend all the time pointed at that specific part of the game and not focus the entire project around it. I love lore, and story but I mean every MMO I've ever played that has its focus on the story always falls utterly short because they have to write the danged thing like we don't know X or Y but we are apart of that race? So how do we NOT KNOW when its a huge part of the culture? Kinda breaks immersion.

Mike O' Brien's new game doesn't seem especially competitive. Of course, it's still early.

True but I think its because he gave up on the competitive scene for the time. I doubt he has the resources to risk making a game like that considering a good majority of gamers hate that kind of play and want PvE only. There is an audience for competitive mmo-rpgs but its not as vast as the PvE crowd so of course he would make the first game, a PvE centered game. Its just good business so you can reel in the more likely to spend crowd (Most whales are only interested in PvP games, if they can buy power directly.)

Name a single pvp only MMORPG that is not a niche game.

The only successful non niche MMORPGs with pvp usually have working and far larger pve componenets and a majority of their player base plays there.

I really don't get where people get this idea that pvp is in such high demand. There is no evidence to support this in the MMORPG genre.

Warhammer online was, and had they fixed the hacking issue which they REFUSED to address and ontop of that actually worked on the game for the given time and not sluffed off for over half its develpoment then it would still be around. It did EXTREMELY well initially against Wrath of the lich-king but given its problems and the fact WoW was in its hay-day it never kicked off as hard as it could of.... now had it come out with cataclysm it might of done better. It had BOTH PvE and PvP well meshed together and it was fun on both sides, Im not saying it needs to 100% be PvP focus but it doesn't need a hard narrative. Just a compelling world to explore, and real reasons to fight and do the content. I don't know where people who play guild wars feel that raiding with nothing at the end exclusive to that content or heck a point to DO the content is good design? Yet they say it is. I only Raided in WoW to gain power, I and most people didn't do it for the sake of doing it and that is why you see raiding in the state its in because legendary armor is the only reason you'd do it and arguably the other two sets are easier and less of an annoyance to get. (PvP/WvW)

PvE as we know it is kind of growing old as you can see more people are deviating which is why the market for MMO's have dwindled so much, its not the mmo and its not the trinity like people would like you to believe. Its because its a "been there done that" scenario where you have played one, then you have played them all because they all have dungeons, raids and PvE focus with PvP kind of being left on the way side. You know what you're going to get.... and frankly a lot of the time? Games of today lack any depth or meaning and its all just.... "Look I sparkle now." Even WoW removed any and all advantages raid sets would give you to streamline it, thus removing the point of raiding. Its like diablo yea? Or any dungeon crawler. If you remove the progression and the loot runs, then you essentially devoid the game of purpose because those games while good are never as good as a pure story game. Guild wars 2 is a horrible story game, its narrative is meh with the open world PvE being the main focus and that will NOT and NEVER has retained people forever. Its a part of a game... and should not be the focus.

End game should be something more focused, because once you get there thats ALL YOU WILL BE DOING. If thats not satisfying then the game will begin to fail and you're seeing that here with guild wars 2. I mean its not dead, nor will it die anytime soon but it sure as heck is NOT on ESO's or WoW's or heck maybe even black deserts (Idk might be a stretch... not sure of the pop) level because it lacks meaning, depth and any form of worthwhile progression.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:

@Thornwolf.9721 said:I think it will come far later if at all, because at this point it was shelved and we know it probably was a new MMO more focused (If it was being made by MO) around Competitive play as that is where his passion laid. We know he was displeased with how guild wars 2 turned out, as he had stated he wasn't big on some of the direction that the game had taken. Ironically it would be beneficial due to the spaghetti code which could be basically removed by making a new mmo and thus making it easier to add things to the game and less of the risk at breaking it. With a more focused direction Gw3 could easily smash both of its predecessors but they'd need a 100% this is the direction this game is going NO EXCEPTIONS kind of attitude. The issue with guild wars 2 is that in its initial development there were too many cooks in the kitchen...

I feel like if they do go for this route, it would need a new engine preferably Unreal 4 or 5 as this game still uses the guild wars 1 engine. I also feel they should drop the narrative and focus on making it a sandbox exploration game where you are there to form a guild and basically explore tyria with snip-its of lore strewn throughout the world, no more of this "you're the main squeeze " kind of thing. While I can appreciate the attempt storytelling should be left the novels or single player games and if they made a single player game in the vein of the witcher to bridge the gap between the mmo's then people could have narrative driven bits given in the world of tyria and the MMO could be its own entity.

Its hard to sell a narrative in an mmo, its even harder to make it work and feel right and not spend all the time pointed at that specific part of the game and not focus the entire project around it. I love lore, and story but I mean every MMO I've ever played that has its focus on the story always falls utterly short because they have to write the danged thing like we don't know X or Y but we are apart of that race? So how do we NOT KNOW when its a huge part of the culture? Kinda breaks immersion.

Mike O' Brien's new game doesn't seem especially competitive. Of course, it's still early.

True but I think its because he gave up on the competitive scene for the time. I doubt he has the resources to risk making a game like that considering a good majority of gamers hate that kind of play and want PvE only. There is an audience for competitive mmo-rpgs but its not as vast as the PvE crowd so of course he would make the first game, a PvE centered game. Its just good business so you can reel in the more likely to spend crowd (Most whales are only interested in PvP games, if they can buy power directly.)

Name a single pvp only MMORPG that is not a niche game.

The only successful non niche MMORPGs with pvp usually have working and far larger pve componenets and a majority of their player base plays there.

I really don't get where people get this idea that pvp is in such high demand. There is no evidence to support this in the MMORPG genre.

Warhammer online was, and had they fixed the hacking issue which they REFUSED to address and ontop of that actually worked on the game for the given time and not sluffed off for over half its develpoment then it would still be around. It did EXTREMELY well initially against Wrath of the lich-king but given its problems and the fact WoW was in its hay-day it never kicked off as hard as it could of.... now had it come out with cataclysm it might of done better. It had BOTH PvE and PvP well meshed together and it was fun on both sides, Im not saying it needs to 100% be PvP focus but it doesn't need a hard narrative. Just a compelling world to explore, and real reasons to fight and do the content. I don't know where people who play guild wars feel that raiding with nothing at the end exclusive to that content or heck a point to DO the content is good design? Yet they say it is. I only Raided in WoW to gain power, I and most people didn't do it for the sake of doing it and that is why you see raiding in the state its in because legendary armor is the only reason you'd do it and arguably the other two sets are easier and less of an annoyance to get. (PvP/WvW)

You and I have a very different recollection of Warhammer Online, and I played that game a lot (how much? I was among the top 4 Swordmasters on my server rank wise with one of the first to have a full set of Lost Vale gear). First off, it did not do extremely well against WotlK, please don't make that up. It had a huge release hype, then the numbers dwindled fast. WotLK remains the strongest WoW expansion, and WO barely made a dent. 3-4 Months in servers had to close down and in part be merged and the big rush of players was over.

WO also had a very developed PvE side which players actually played, in order to gear for RvR. The game also had one of the biggest fantasy IPs to back its name. It was not a PvP only game, but let's not get into details. Where is the game now? Exactly, it didn't even last 5 years.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:PvE as we know it is kind of growing old as you can see more people are deviating which is why the market for MMO's have dwindled so much, its not the mmo and its not the trinity like people would like you to believe. Its because its a "been there done that" scenario where you have played one, then you have played them all because they all have dungeons, raids and PvE focus with PvP kind of being left on the way side. You know what you're going to get.... and frankly a lot of the time? Games of today lack any depth or meaning and its all just.... "Look I sparkle now." Even WoW removed any and all advantages raid sets would give you to streamline it, thus removing the point of raiding. Its like diablo yea? Or any dungeon crawler. If you remove the progression and the loot runs, then you essentially devoid the game of purpose because those games while good are never as good as a pure story game. Guild wars 2 is a horrible story game, its narrative is meh with the open world PvE being the main focus and that will NOT and NEVER has retained people forever. Its a part of a game... and should not be the focus.

and yet, every single big MMORPG is PvE focused because having a slice of a small cake is still better than having a slice of a tiny cake. As far as story, that's your personal opinion.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:End game should be something more focused, because once you get there thats ALL YOU WILL BE DOING. If thats not satisfying then the game will begin to fail and you're seeing that here with guild wars 2. I mean its not dead, nor will it die anytime soon but it sure as heck is NOT on ESO's or WoW's or heck maybe even black deserts (Idk might be a stretch... not sure of the pop) level because it lacks meaning, depth and any form of worthwhile progression.

Yes, let;s focus the endgame on the non existent Spvp player base, makes total sense. How is the bot situation atm? Is it possible to get games below gold 1 consistently without multiple bots?

As fas as WvW, which is already a hybrid of pvp and pve, I agree the mode should be more developed, but even there the numbers of players playing it is tiny and dwindling compared to this games pve side.

@Thornwolf.9721 said:Warhammer online was

Was is the key word here. It's dead now.

It also had an underdeveloped PvE side, basically ceasing to exist beyond level 32 (As well as a useless lead balance designer who kept his favourite class as the strongest class in the game at all times)

@Thornwolf.9721 said:PvE as we know it is kind of growing old as you can see more people are deviating which is why the market for MMO's have dwindled so much, its not the mmo and its not the trinity like people would like you to believe.

The market for MMO's has dwindled so much, because MMO developers/publishers have gotten greedy and lazy and are not releasing content any more and what content they do release is horrendous time padding grind.

It has been the theme for WoW since part the way through WotLK "How little can we actually add to the game to make people keep giving us money?", with it reaching its peak during WoD where "Content updates" were just Facebook games and then jack all for 9 months. Even now, WoW retail is only thriving off of its Raid releases.

The same is true for FFXIV, where they're trimming down on content and focusing on putting in grinds thanks to SE's greed where they won't let the FFXIV team have enough money to actually expand with their popularity increase (Most of the money made by the game is siphoned off to other SE projects)

MMO's thrive on constant updates, that's their main draw over simply having a single player PvE game (Which will have the entire story and world available off the bat), having the persistent world that is added to with each update. But there keeps being more and more focus on "How can we get more money from our players?" and "How little effort can we actually put into the game?" which causes there to be more boring filler content that isn't designed to be fun or interesting, but merely to waste as much time as possible while being super easy to develop.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:FYI, for those saying 'never gonna happen', it's happening, right now, they are working on GW3. They've been doing so for some time now.Of course, it may never arrive, but it is being worked on.

No they are not. They are working on a different game yes, but you have absolutely 0 official news that this is in any way related to the Guild Wars IP. Chances are even smaller that this game will in any way be a MMORPG because releasing competing MMOs is pretty much the worst idea a developer can have.

Please don't make such nonsense up.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:FYI, for those saying 'never gonna happen', it's happening, right now, they are working on GW3. They've been doing so for some time now.Of course, it may never arrive, but it is being worked on.

No they are not. They are working on a different game yes, but you have absolutely 0 official news that this is in any way related to the Guild Wars IP. Chances are even smaller that this game will in any way be a MMORPG because releasing competing MMOs is pretty much the worst idea a developer can have.

It's fine man, I don't need you to believe me.But I do have it on good authority that they have been and are developing GW3 IP.Sorry if that triggers you.Anyway, have a nice day.

Edit: oh, and remember GW1?

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

It's fine man, I don't need you to believe me.But I do have it on good authority that they have been and are developing GW3 IP.Sorry if that triggers you.Anyway, have a nice day.

GW1 was no MMORPG, and yes, they might be working on another game in the franchise (for which there is as mentioned 0 official news), and chances are near 0 that it will be a MMORPG, but you go on dreaming.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

GW1 was no MMORPG, and yes, they might be working on another game in the franchise (for which there is as mentioned 0 official news), and chances are near 0 that it will be a MMORPG, but you go on dreaming.

What gives you the idea that I'm dreaming of anything?Where did I say that I thought GW3 would be an MMORPG?

...and, of more interest to me:Why are you apparently so allergic to the possibility of a GW3?Or of it being another MMORPG in the franchise?Or are you simply allergic to the absence of '0 official news' on the matter and a difficulty in reconciling that with my own post?

You seem pretty beat up about it, somehow. I dunno.

Edit: oh, and I thought that GW1 was pretty Massively Multiplayer, that it was Online, and that it was a Roleplaying Game.

As much as I'd personally enjoy a continuation of gameplay in Tyria, (1) I don't think a direct successor will happen, and (2) I think that's a good thing. I voted reflexively for a GW3 in the poll, but that was more about emotion and not at all about logic lol.

I never played GW1, and I think that made me enjoy GW2 that much more. Had I been an OG player, I might not have been able to avoid comparisons, despite GW1 and GW2 being vastly different products. Having been as deeply invested in GW2 as I am, I don't think I'd be able to let a GW3 off the hook should it dare lack anything from GW2 that I really liked, and I think that would be unfair of me. I'd much rather see something completely different.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

What gives you the idea that I'm dreaming of anything?Where did I say that I thought GW3 would be an MMORPG?

...and, of more interest to me:Why are you apparently so allergic to the possibility of a GW3?Or of it being another MMORPG in the franchise?Or are you simply allergic to the absence of '0 official news' on the matter and a difficulty in reconciling that with my own post?

I am not allergic to anything, just tired of baseless rumors which defy all and any basic reason as far as common business sense and latest years market development are concerned. There has almost NEVER been a successful or even tried followup MMORPG. The amounts this has worked can be counted off on less than 1 hand, and most of those were during the prime time of MMORPGs. There is a reason why 15 year old MMORPGs still see content developed instead of reboots.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Edit: oh, and I thought that GW1 was pretty Massively Multiplayer, that it was Online, and that it was a Roleplaying Game.

GW1 was just as much a MMORPG as Diablo 2 was. Simply put: it wasn't a MMORPG and had almost none of the characteristics that classify games as MMORPGs. I'm simply going to assume you don't know the difference.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

I am not allergic to anything, just tired of baseless rumors which defy all and any basic reason as far as common business sense and latest years market development are concerned. There has almost NEVER been a successful or even tried followup MMORPG. The amounts this has worked can be counted off on less than 1 hand, and most of those were during the prime time of MMORPGs. There is a reason why 15 year old MMORPGs still see content developed instead of reboots.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:Edit: oh, and I thought that GW1 was pretty Massively Multiplayer, that it was Online, and that it was a Roleplaying Game.

GW1 was just as much a MMORPG as Diablo 2 was. Simply put: it wasn't a MMORPG and had almost none of the characteristics that classify games as MMORPGs. I'm simply going to assume you don't know the difference.

Thanks for clarifying your standpoint.I understand where you're coming from a bit more now.You all but called me a liar and, while I meant that I don't really care whether you believe me or not, I was interested by the energy in your post.It seemed odd to me that someone who frequents, and posts so regularly on these forums - who, so apparently, has a great deal invested in this game - would seem so allergic to the proposition of a new title in the franchise.

I'll only add the following, in response to your last post:

• I can understand becoming tired of baseless rumours and, frankly, the ubiquitous fake news, tinfoil hatting and ridiculous theories to be found on these forums. So, I can understand your immediate reaction to my post. Like I said, I have no idea if any GW3 IP will make it to release, or what form it might take - at all - but I do have it, from a credible source, that what I stated (and no more) is true. I'm not gonna share that source, because it does, of course, remain hearsay - and I also don't want to implicate them, or even get them in any bother.
  • For myself, I'd be interested to see what shape a GW3 game might take; whether it could be a successful MMORPG successor to GW2 (albeit at the expense of GW2), or whether it might be something that could coexist with it.
  • You can, of course, assume whatever you like about me, as you say.

Good luck and have fun.

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

Thanks for clarifying your standpoint.I understand where you're coming from a bit more now.You all but called me a liar and, while I meant that I don't really care whether you believe me or not, I was interested by the energy in your post.It seemed odd to me that someone who frequents, and posts so regularly on these forums - who, so apparently, has a great deal invested in this game - would seem so allergic to the proposition of a new title in the franchise.

• I can understand becoming tired of baseless rumours and, frankly, the ubiquitous fake news, tinfoil hatting and ridiculous theories to be found on these forums. So, I can understand your immediate reaction to my post. Like I said, I have no idea if any GW3 IP will make it to release, or what form it might take - at all - but I do have it, from a credible source, that what I stated (and no more) is true. I'm not gonna share that source, because it does, of course, remain hearsay - and I also don't want to implicate them, or even get them in any bother.
  • For myself, I'd be interested to see what shape a GW3 game might take; whether it
    could
    be a successful MMORPG successor to GW2 (albeit at the expense of GW2), or whether it might be something that could coexist with it.

Good luck and have fun.

Sure, now you do me a favor, because I'm sure you mean well. Take a moment to consider what speculating or talking about a GW3 would do to GW2 at this point in time, and again I am saying this is a huge IF which I simply do not see, unless it's a completely different game supposed to expand the franchise.

If speculation grew that a GW3 was in the making, even worse if this was supposed to be a followup MMORPG (which I find very unrealistic). What exactly would that do to players of this game? Will it raise or lower player financial investment with the game? How many players do you think will eagerly spend money on a MMORPG they enjoy when told there will be a followup MMORPG that will replace it?

Speculation and talk about GW3 if unfounded is in no way beneficial to the studio, the current game or the franchise.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

• For myself, I'd be interested to see what shape a GW3 game might take; whether it
    could
    be a successful MMORPG successor to GW2 (albeit at the expense of GW2), or whether it might be something that could coexist with it.

Good luck and have fun.

Sure, now you do me a favor, because I'm sure you mean well. Take a moment to consider what speculating or talking about a GW3 would do to GW2 at this point in time, and again I am saying this is a huge IF which I simply do not see, unless it's a completely different game supposed to expand the franchise.

If speculation grew that a GW3 was in the making, even worse if this was supposed to be a followup MMORPG (which I find very unrealistic). What exactly would that do to players of this game? Will it raise or lower player financial investment with the game? How many players do you think will eagerly spend money on a MMORPG they enjoy when told there will be a followup MMORPG that will replace it?

Speculation and talk about GW3 if unfounded is in no way beneficial to the studio, the current game or the franchise.

Yeah, now I understand you; even the condescension.I'm not here to do you, Anet or anyone else any favours.I'm here because I've paid for, play and enjoy (mostly) GW2.Who knows, I might even play GW3, if it ever arrives and depending what sort of game it is.And the questions you just asked... who knows?Do you? Really?I don't think you do. I wonder if you know half as much as you think you do, and I think the prospect of that makes you uncomfortable.But who knows, I could be wrong about that. I could be wrong about lots of things.It's disconcerting, isn't it?

@TwoGhosts.6790 said:

could

Good luck and have fun.

Yeah, now I understand you; even the condescension.I'm not here to do you, Anet or anyone else any favours.I'm here because I've paid for, play and enjoy (mostly) GW2.Who knows, I might even play GW3, if it ever arrives and depending what sort of game it is.And the questions you just asked... who knows?Do you? Really?I don't think you do. I wonder if you know half as much as you think you do, and I think the prospect of that makes you uncomfortable.But who knows, I could be wrong about that. I could be wrong about lots of things.It's disconcerting, isn't it?

Quite frankly I personally don't care. I am not the one pretending I have inside information. I am basing my assumptions on past experience and approach of pretty much most developers in this field. Might the developers work on a followup MMORPG? Sure, all the while working on the next expansion and the following Living World Episodes. Might be a bit difficult with the size of the studio, but sure, all is possible.

All I'm saying is, baseless and unfounded speculation does this game harm and might negatively impact the studio. Since I enjoy this game with all it's flaws, I don't have to accept the constant talk about GW3. If I'd bothered I'd look up old threads of just the same speculation happening years ago. It's something trolls like to constantly dig up, just like the game is dying topics. Those are pretty much as old as this game its self.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

could

Good luck and have fun.

Quite frankly I personally don't care. I am not the one pretending I have inside information. I am basing my assumptions on past experience and approach of pretty much most developers in this field. Might the developers work on a followup MMORPG? Sure, all the while working on the next expansion and the following Living World Episodes. Might be a bit difficult with the size of the studio, but sure, all is possible.

All I'm saying is, baseless and unfounded speculation does this game harm and might negatively impact the studio. Since I enjoy this game with all it's flaws, I don't have to accept the constant talk about GW3. If I'd bothered I'd look up old threads of just the same speculation happening years ago. It's something trolls like to constantly dig up, just like the game is dying topics. Those are pretty much as old as this game its self.

Why would you think to look up old threads?This is a thread created by someone who is asking what people would prefer in a GW3 game.It's not a ded gaem thread, at all.Why would you think that the possibility of another great game, in the same franchise, would be a negative thing?Perhaps, in a new game, if it's similar, it might be better and might iron out some of the flaws that you, I and others perceive in the current game. Who knows?Yes, you might not like 'constant talk' about GW3. And you're free to articulate that, as you've done. You can even disagree vehemently with people, if you like. So what?Just because someone disagrees with you (which, honestly, in many ways I don't really), or wants to discuss something, or (god forbid it) perhaps knows about something you don't... it doesn't make them trolls, except in your own mind.You're right - you're not pretending to have inside information. We have more in common than perhaps either of us would prefer.I'm not making any assumptions.

I haven't seen any evidence that GW3 is even being considered. I know some people at Anet are working on developing a new console game, but it seems highly likely that's an entirely new IP which isn't at all related to Guild Wars.

Personally I'd rather see Anet address the problems with GW2 and continue to develop it rather than starting over with something new. Some people talk about GW3 as if it's some sort of magic bullet which is guaranteed not to have any of the problems or issues they see in GW2. I think it's far more likely it would be like going from GW1 to GW2 where some things are fixed or simply irrelevant because the code is changed, some things are so different there's no sensible way to make a comparison and a whole load of new problems appear because of the new design and mechanics and need to be fixed. Which to be honest is like any new game that gets released (MMO or otherwise).

Overall I don't see any benefit for players in Anet trying to start over from scratch with a new game and new problems to get to grips with, rather than letting us keep the progress we've already made by continuing to work on the game they've already got. Plus I still see a lot of potential in GW2 and I'd like to see that used. I'm one of the people who is almost entirely interested in PvE (and occasionally WvW for short periods until running in circles re-capturing the same objectives gets boring) and especially following the various storylines so I'd like Anet to be able to do more of that. Of course since there's been absolutely no hint of GW3 and they have announced the continuation of the Icebrood Saga and another expansion it seems highly likely that's what we'll get, but I'd like it to continue past that point too.